http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 02:35:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suikoden IV Review...  (Read 1824 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2005, 01:53:17 PM »

Hey all,

I'll be doing the review on Suikoden IV but rather than rushing something out the door as quickly as possible and giving an incomplete picture of the game, I was thinking of putting at least 40-50 hours into the game first.  That'd be roughly half from what I hear.  I'd like to hear what you think...for incredibly long RPG titles like this, what do you think about delaying reviews to ensure a  more accurate review?  Or do you think they are any more accurate if they are delayed?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 02:02:48 PM »

I've been waiting to hear whether or not this game is worthwhile.  I believe that the more time you can put into it, the more accurate it will be.  There are going to be plenty of quick shooters who will announce to the world that the first 15 minutes are boring and thus the game isn't worth playing.  I want to hear what it's REALLY like.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 02:21:06 PM »

I'd probably want to have enough to have a good feel for the game, so yeah, somewhere between 25-50 hours would be sufficient.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 03:14:44 PM »

If you could throw out some initial impressions to give those of us on the fence something to think about, but reserve final judgement until you have more time under your belt, that'd be ideal IMO.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 03:16:16 PM »

You have my word, I'll write up a short take after I put a few hours in.  I'm hoping to have it today. The full review will come later after I've put some serious time into the game....

I'm ok if its 3 out of 5 stars, but you can't judge that by the back of the box and 15 minutes of gameplay....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 03:21:41 PM »

Yes put in the hours!  I wouldn't actually mind if you finished it before putting out a review.

After what happened to me with KoToR2 especially.  A great, great game until the last 2 hours or so.  So it is fresh in my mind how a game can be totally ruined by the wrap up of the story.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 03:31:15 PM »

Metal Gear Solid anyone?  Yea...I like running around the last hour or so holding my jiggly bits in the buff.  Stupid ending....

I did finish Suikoden III before I reviewed it, lets see how this one flows and I'll re-evaluate as I go along.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 03:44:52 PM »

I'm also voting on the side of "complete the game before reviewing". I'm very curious in hearing what you think, after your high praises of Suikoden 3.

Of course, the fact that I got Suikoden IV for $29.99 from Outpost pretty much sealed the deal for me, if for no other reason than to have all four of the games. I'd really hate for this to be the last in the series, since I've always had a soft spot for the series.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 04:48:46 PM »

Metal Gear Solid anyone? Yea...I like running around the last hour or so holding my jiggly bits in the buff. Stupid ending....

we're gonna hafta agree to disagree on that one - it still brings a smile to my face just remembering it smile ... classic...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 05:15:05 PM »

RPG reviews are always iffy anyway; more often than not I've preferred the games with lower aggregate ratings than those with higher ratings.  Suikoden IV's getting low ratings?  That's probably a good sign slywink

Please do post your first impressions, though.  CG's reviews are usually the best in town.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 09:58:29 PM »

I don't have the time or inclination to sit through a 80 hour game.  I'd actually prefer to see a review of just the first quarter of the game.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 11:10:26 PM »

I'd be interested to hear an in depth review on it.  So far other reviews haven't been too hot, but who knows how much time was spent playing it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 12:32:18 AM »

Play til you finish or you can't stand it anymore.  Then give it a review.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 05:33:33 AM »

I posted that I was going to buy it earlier.  I canceled my preorder last Sunday.  I don't know - the reviews are really getting to me with this game.  And I know - reviews can be misleading.  Especially in the RPG genre.  But I didn't like Suikoden III a WHOLE bunch . . . and I don't know.

I looked around to rent it but no one has it.  So . . . I'll probably end up just buying it anyways   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 10:36:43 AM »

Suikoden 4 is actually supposed to be pretty short as RPGs go - most reviews say 25-30 hours.  Reviews have been in the 7/10 range, although Game Informer gave it an 8.5 and said that at its best moments, it's as good as the best RPGs.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 07:33:50 PM »

I would really like to rent this and try it..I have been wanting a good console RPG and havent been able to find one that Ican get into for a long time.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 10:39:18 PM »

Well, I'm a few hours into the game thus far and so far the storyline is fairly unexciting.  I can see the promise of real strategy underneath though, so don't be too discouraged...I'll report in tomorrow with some more concrete findings.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2005, 06:28:42 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Hey all,

I'll be doing the review on Suikoden IV but rather than rushing something out the door as quickly as possible and giving an incomplete picture of the game, I was thinking of putting at least 40-50 hours into the game first.  That'd be roughly half from what I hear.  I'd like to hear what you think...for incredibly long RPG titles like this, what do you think about delaying reviews to ensure a  more accurate review?  Or do you think they are any more accurate if they are delayed?

Depends on the gametype. For a roleplaying game I would definately give it some time. Most roleplaying games have a bit of an AWE factor to them. At first you are in AWE of the world and newness of it all, even the combat can be fun when it is new. But is it still fun after a couple hundred battles?  Star Ocean was a 9+ game for the first 40-50 hours but the last 50 hours were about a 5 and turned the entire game experience into about a 7 or so. Big difference.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: