http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 02:00:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions on Portable Gaming  (Read 1112 times)
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2005, 08:21:24 PM »

Well, I have to do quite a bit of traveling over the next few months, so I am looking into getting either a top-flight laptop or some other portable gaming system.  The bonus with the top-flight laptop would be that I could hook up to my MMORPG's while I am staying at all these hotels, but a small portable less expensive system like the PSP might be an option.  What does everyone think?
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 08:48:34 PM »

Heck - you don't even need that much of a top-end laptop. Mine has a mobile ATI 9600 (the low end of two generations ago), and combined with a nice processor and 1.25GB of RAM, it'll play anything I throw at it. Even MMOs.

Personally, after having two PCs open and running all the time, I'd never go back. It's kinda fun.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 09:02:35 PM »

Yeah, I play a bit of EQ2 which is why I'm thinking it might have to be pretty top-end.  But the 9600 can with over 1 GB RAM should handle it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 08:35:58 PM »

Quote from: "Fez"
Yeah, I play a bit of EQ2 which is why I'm thinking it might have to be pretty top-end.  But the 9600 can with over 1 GB RAM should handle it.

Heck, I know it can handle it - I've played EQ2 on my laptop under the config I listed above (3GHz AMD64 Processor, 1.25GB RAM, ATI 9600 64MB), and it plays rather well. Obviously doesn't look as good as my PC, but it plays.

Unfortunately my laptop was a discontinued item, so good luck finding one that has a real video card for under $1.5K.

But to keep this in the console forum ( smile ), let me also suggest a PSP as you stated. As long as you find a version 1.50 console (not that easy anymore), you can play not only PSP games, but emulation as well. Nothing like playing the classic Scumm titles or other fun things on a portable console.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 02:36:18 PM »

I think it would help if you tell us what type of games you want to play and your budget.  

A GBA will only set you back $69 and there are tons of great games for that system....if you are into them.  I think I could easily spend 5 months catching up on the games for that system.

An inexpensive laptop would be just perfect to play some of those older PC titles I never finished....BG2 and exp, fallout tactics, heroes of might and magic III and wake of gods mod, etc....

If you need to play newer PC games, then a laptop will start getting pricey.....

If  you need the latest handheld, of course there is the PSP for $250.  But IMHO, there arent any games that appeal to me on that platform yet.  You could also get a nintendo DS for $149 to play GBA titles and DS titles....could be a good deal.

Anyway, tell us what kind of games you feel like playing, where you want to play them, etc....

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 02:59:21 PM »

I'll throw in my usual, lonely support for the PSP!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 03:53:01 PM »

Thanks for the responses so far.  For the most part, I play RPGs and strategy games (which is why I haven't considered one of the handhelds before), but I do play sports games as well, generally only on consoles.  I generally don't play games during my daily life of running to and from locations, but as I'll be away for a relatively significant amount of time over the next few months, I'll have long airline flights to play games and hotel room internet access at my disposal.  I was thinking EQ2 would be a game I could play when stuck at the hotel.
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 11:16:56 PM »

Well, probably a notebook would be fine since you will mostly be sitting on a plane or in a hotel room.  You could spend anywhere from 500-3500 on a laptop depending on what you want.  If you want desktop type performance, alienware.com is having a special $500 off thier alienware 55m 7700 which has an nvidia 6800 mobile GPU....would pretty much kick butt and would only set you back $1999 or so.  You could also spend $600 on a laptop with older tech that will play non graphics intensive rpgs and strat games no problem.  Your call.  If you want to play EQ2 and money is not a factor, get the alienware....IMHO

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 10:55:40 AM »

Thanks.  The Alienware Area 51m 7700 (didn't see an Area 55) seems like a good deal and you can get 3.0 GHz machines and up from them.  Is 2 GB of DDR2 RAM a requirement to play EQ2 with quality graphics?  I also noticed that they have 2 display choices - a 1680 x 1050 screen and a cheaper 1440 x 900 display.  Not sure if that makes a big difference.  Any suggestions?  As for the other specs, I'd probably stick with the 3.4 GHz model (and the 6800 card) as it seems to be the best deal.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 03:24:50 PM »

Quote from: "Fez"
Thanks.  The Alienware Area 51m 7700 (didn't see an Area 55) seems like a good deal and you can get 3.0 GHz machines and up from them.  Is 2 GB of DDR2 RAM a requirement to play EQ2 with quality graphics?

More RAM helps with loading time, but not much else as far as graphics go. It's the video card (the RAM of it, and the raw power) and the processor that make more of a difference. You'll want 1GB though if you're a heavy EQ2 user. Plus it makes WinXP run as smooth as butter.

But RAM is cheap - get 2GB anyway. biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: