http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:03:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggest me some of the best RPGS out there...  (Read 3633 times)
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2005, 07:21:14 AM »

... on the Xbox, PS2, PS1, or GBA.  Normally I ignore RPGS on the consoles, but after spending some time with (and loving)  the new Fire Emblem and FFTA, I've decided to try out some more stuff.  So far I only have KOTOR I and II and FFX.  I've gotten some great suggestions on other forums, and I was wondering what you guys would list as your favorites?

Welcome to the Bovine.
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 08:37:12 AM »

Suikoden 3 was a pretty good RPG for the console.  Suikoden 4 got bad reviews so you should avoid that sequel.
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 08:49:35 AM »

If you like SNES-style RPGs, it doesnt get any better than Chrono Trigger.
Chrono Cross was really good as well.  Both can be had for the PS1.

Another PS1 RPG I really liked was Final Fantasy 8 (others may disagree).  And if you havent played it, FF7 is kind of a must-play RPG.

If you really like the 'system' in KotOR, try out Neverwinter Nights.  The original campaign isnt great, but it's ok.  I would probably recommend someone start with the second expansion (Shadows of Undrentide), move on to the third (Hordes of the Underdark), and then go back to the first if they need more game.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 12:16:44 PM »

I think Final Fantasy IX was my favorite of the PSX rpg's closely followed by Chrono Cross.  I played FF X and I liked it.  FF X-2 was an abomination.  Avoid it at all costs.

To be honest I haven't found many other PS2 rpg's that I liked.  Suikoden III didn't do it for me, neither did Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.  I have Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and I ran into a wall pretty quickly.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 12:58:29 PM »

I take it you prefer turn-based play?  I can't help you there... but if you also like action, open-ended, huge ones, then Morrowind GOTY is the best ever (the original version had more bugs like freezing.)  If you can stand bugs for the sake of a great game, then Pirates of the Caribbean is super - but search the posts for ways to avoid one of the worst bugs, someone mentioned here how to avoid the "bad save" bug.  If you like Morrowind, the next best bet for that kind of game is Arx Fatalis - it isn't great but it's very good.

Good luck - if it's turn-based you want, you came to the right place to ask - just not me, but almost everyone else! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 03:20:15 PM »

I'll have to agree with alot of other suggestions.  Must plays: FF7,Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross.  I even enjoyed FF8 and FF9, and also I enjoyed Lunar SST, its a great classic.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 05:01:49 PM »

Skies of Arcadia!!  

I played through the Dreamcast version way back when, and to this day I still think of it as one of my all time favorite RPGs.  What few annoyances the game did have (READ: far too frequent random battles) was supposedly fixed in the Gamecube version, so I'd suggest giving it a try - you can find it for pretty cheap these days.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
stolazi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 05:33:55 PM »

Check out Shadow Hearts: Covenant for the PS2. Great turn-based combat and memorable characters.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 06:29:41 PM »

For a modern day Police and Science fiction setting, Parasite Eve and Parasite Eve 2 for the PSOne were good offerings for their day, using Squaresoft's Final Fantasy-esque game engine.

I also remeber another PS2 offering, though it's title eludes me.  Perhaps it is Radiant Dragoons? Or The Last Dragoons?  it was mystic  high-fantasy , and I think another Squaresoft offering.

Done posting
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 06:58:50 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Skies of Arcadia!!  

I played through the Dreamcast version way back when, and to this day I still think of it as one of my all time favorite RPGs.  What few annoyances the game did have (READ: far too frequent random battles) was supposedly fixed in the Gamecube version, so I'd suggest giving it a try - you can find it for pretty cheap these days.

I was going to recommend that as well but he only has Xbox and PS2 and GBA.  But it is one of my all-time favorites as well.

And the Nightbreeze are you thinking of The Legend of Dragoon?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 08:07:39 PM »

Jesus, the best RPGs on PS1, PS2, XBox and GBA?  That's a tall order.

I'm just going to list what comes to my mind, post afterwards if you want a more detailed description or take on a specific game.  Note I'm only going to list *good* games.

In no particular order:

[PS1 -- Probably the best system in the history of consoles for RPGs]
*Final Fantasy Anthology (ports of FF6 and FF4, bad slowdown with 6 but still enjoyable)
*Final Fantasy Chronicles (ports of FF5 and Chrono Trigger, CT has some slowdown)
*Final Fantasy Origins (updated versions of FF1 and FF2.  FF1 is oldschool to the max, FF2 has some cool mechanics)
*Final Fantasy Tactics (Strategy RPG, utterly brilliant mechanics, story makes no sense)
*Final Fantasy 7
*Final Fantasy 8
*Final Fantasy 9
*Star Ocean: The Second Story (great mechanics, writing kind of engrish-y)
*Valkyrie Profile (fantastic game, but plan on a second mortgage to pay for it)
*Vagrant Story (very unique combat system, great story, best characterization in a console RPG, bar none)
*Suikoden 2 (some swear by this game, others find it nothing special.  plan on a third mortgage to buy this one)
*Breath of Fire 3 (hard to find, but usually cheap.)
*Breath of Fire 4 (hard to find, more expensive than 3)
*Xenogears (epic sci-fi RPG requiring equally epic patience.  hard to find on the cheap.)
*Front Mission 3 (mech-based SRPG.  rare.)
*Dragon Warrior 7 (epic oldschool RPG.  incredible game if you can survive some of the shittiest graphics on the PS1.)
*Persona (megaten spinoff RPG.  cult classic.  rare.)
*Persona 2 (second half of a megaten spinoff RPG, the first half only released in japan.  cult classic.  exceedingly rare.)
*Parasite Eve
*Parasite Eve 2
*Lunar: Silver Star Story (port of the Saturn game.  rare.)
*Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (port of the Saturn game.  rare.)
*Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (probably my favorite console game of all time.  Metroid meets Castlevania meets RPG.)
*Chrono Cross (shitty sequel to the eternal classic, Chrono Trigger.  mentioning it only because someone'll bitch when it's not on the list.  and it's cheap, so you might want to try it).

[PS2 -- Good stuff on this system, but the quality isn't as consistant as the PS1]
*Final Fantasy X
*Shadow Hearts: Covenant (give it time -- the story takes awhile to get in gear.  if you like Covenant, try the original Shadow Hearts too.)
*Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (amazing storyline, unique but ultimately flawed mechanics)
*Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (quirky SRPG that put Nippon Ichi on the map.  gobs of gameplay.  rare.)
*Phantom Brave (another quirky SRPG by Nippon Ichi.  cheap and easy to find.  get it!)
*Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (megaten RPG.  extremely oldschool RPG with some Pokemon-like elements.  setting and art is amazing.)
*Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (megaten RPG.  closer to Final Fantasy X than oldschool games.  story is awesome, but there's not enough of it.)
*Kingdom Hearts (disney-based action RPG.  very hard.)
*Star Ocean: Til the End of Time (sequel to Star Ocean on the PS1.  not as good as the PS1 game.  get the strategy guide.)
*Suikoden 3 (easier to find than 2, so if you want to check out the series, grab this one.  avoid 4 like the plauge.)
*Summoner 2 (damn good action-RPG.  can be a problem to find, but if you do find it, it'll be cheap.)

[XBox -- awful RPG selection]
*Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition (chances are you played this on PC.)
*KOTOR (ditto.)
*KOTOR 2 (ditto.)

[GBA -- decent selection]
*Mario & Luigi (great original RPG.  must-have!)
*Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (mechanics not as deep as the PS1 version, but at least the story makes sense.  tons of gameplay to boot.)
*Breath of Fire (almost flawless port of the SNES game.  oldschool.)
*Breath of Fire 2 (almost flawless port of the SNES game.  still kinda oldschool.)
*Phantasy Star Collection (ports of PStar 1-3.  oldschool sci-fi RPGs.  be warned -- save bugs/corruptions abound.)
*Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls (updated versions of FF1 and FF2.  basically the same thing as Origins on the PS1.)
*Lunar Legend (i think it's a GBA remake of Lunar 1.)
*Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
*Legend of Zelda: Four Swords

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 08:27:04 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

*Valkyrie Profile (fantastic game, but plan on a second mortgage to pay for it)
*Chrono Cross (shitty sequel to the eternal classic, Chrono Trigger.  mentioning it only because someone'll bitch when it's not on the list.  and it's cheap, so you might want to try it).

If you can obtain a copy (I had to TWICE - once to beat it on normal and another time because I had an itch to beat it on hard) I would very much recommend playing Valkyrie Profile.  Awesome, awesome game.  It's up there with my all-time favs.

I enjoyed Chrono Cross, although I didn't think it was quite as great as Chrono Trigger.  Maybe that's because I'm still living in the SNES RPG age and prefer FFVI and FFIV to a lot of RPGs that have just been released.  Chrono Cross is a lot of fun if you're not looking for a "sequel" to Trigger.  I'd suggest it, especially for how cheap you can find it now.

I would definately recommend the Shadow Heart games.  I just wrote a mini-novel post on the SHIII thread going on.  They're (specifically Covenant) some of the most refreshing and enjoyable RPGs I've ever played.  I would also recommend Digital Devil Saga for the fact that it's a pretty hard game, and the story isn't very present in the first game, but what I've seen from the story it's really interesting.  And the second game (coming out later this year!) promises to deliver a lot more story than the first.

I went through and beat the games on FF Anthology and Chronicles, just because they're a handful of my favorite games.  And I echo LE's sentiments - FF6 has some slowdown at some points.  The loading times are pretty bad for FF6 as well.  FF4 isn't quite as bad with slowdown, but it's a port of the Japanese version of the game.  So if you remember FF4 being way easy back when you played it on the SNES, you'll be playing a harder version on PS1.  Chrono Trigger, I hate to say, is pretty much unplayable on Chronicles due to the 5 second delay when you try to access the menu screen.  Ugh.

Everyone has suggested some great RPGs in this thread so I won't include anymore   biggrin   Though actually . . . maybe if you liked Fire Emblem you might possibly like La Pucelle for the PS2.  I know TML really prefers that over Disgaea and Phantom Brave for his favorite console strategy RPG game.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 08:53:06 PM »

CT's menu slowdown is very obnoxious, but don't let that prevent you from playing the game.  At worst, buy Chronicles then download an SNES emulator and play Chrono Trigger emulated on your PC (no slowdown there if you've got a system with more than 1GHz of processing power).

Same thing with FF6.  If anything, I found the FF6 slowdown more obnoxious because it happened mostly on the flashy effects in combat -- and since almost all the effects are flashy in FF6 combat, you got to see heated battles at a choppy snail's pace.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 09:41:40 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

And the Nightbreeze are you thinking of The Legend of Dragoon?

I might have.  

Also, I see now the title was "Quality" RPGs. I might balk to include the game in such an instance, but not Parasite Eve.

Done posting
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 10:51:09 PM »

I guess my ability to focus on an rpg amidst so many consoles/new games has waned completely, because I cannot remember a truly fantastic RPG that I've played since FF3.  The U.S. FF3.

So if anyone hasn't played that OR the U.S. FF2, give them a shot.  The last battle for FF2 is quite emotional biggrin

Oh and yeah, Christian, La Pucelle pwns.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 02:16:50 AM »

blibbedy blah blah blah

There is little to add to this list other than some smaller, niche titles. LE has covered it comprehensively. Great write up.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 03:32:00 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I guess my ability to focus on an rpg amidst so many consoles/new games has waned completely, because I cannot remember a truly fantastic RPG that I've played since FF3.  The U.S. FF3.

So if anyone hasn't played that OR the U.S. FF2, give them a shot.  The last battle for FF2 is quite emotional biggrin

Just so everyone knows,

FF3 in the US = FF6 in Japan (and on my list)
FF2 in the US = FF4 in Japan (and on my list)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 03:32:46 AM »

*Dragon Warrior 7 (epic oldschool RPG.  incredible game if you can survive some of the shittiest graphics on the PS1.)

Yeah, "epic" is a good description...my best friend's b/f has plugged 89 hours into that one so far.

(incredible write-up, LE...I'm gonna copy/paste that list so I can check it whenever biggrin)

TheMissingLink on PSN
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 03:35:10 AM »

And one more thing -- when you say GBA, Samurai, do you mean like a GBA-SP that can play GBA/GBC/GB games, or just GBA games (like, for use in a DS)?  Because there are a few very notable GBC RPGs that are unequivocable must-haves, like Dragon Warrior 1&2 and Dragon Warrior 3.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2005, 03:38:05 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

Yeah, "epic" is a good description...my best friend's b/f has plugged 89 hours into that one so far.

It's a damn good game if you can get past just how ancient it seems.  Characterization is weak, but the story is great and there's just SO MUCH to do.  I think the average rush-to-completion time is around 120 hours, with a 100% completion taking 300+ hours.   :shock:

And thanks for the compliments, guys.  I hope my list serves you well!  I'll add to it if I remember anything else.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 05:20:53 AM »

I'm at over 90 hours with DW7, and I think I'm about halfway through.  It's definitely the Baldur's Gate 2/Might & Magic 6 of the console world.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 07:31:31 AM »

Thank you all so much for the suggestions, esp Lord ebonstone (I'm saving that list).  Cool

When I say GBA, I mean any GB game, since I have a GBA SP.

I went out today and got Star Ocean and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.  I've only just started to dig into Nocturne, but I am loving the demon aspect of the game.  I didn't have any luck finding FFT, Chrono Cross, or Dragon Warrior 7.  Digging through my local Gamestop's collection of PS1 games is a time burden; they basically have them shoved in a box in no particular order by the dozens, often in unlabeled cases.  I did see Xenogears for 25 dollars, but I figured that was expensive for a PS1 game and I passed it by.  Maybe I'll go back for it later... and order the PS1 games online while I'm at it and save myself the hassle.

Welcome to the Bovine.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »

I posted this last week in the similarly titled thread over at OO.  But since there's quite a few different people here, I figure I'd put it up for discussion here as well.  smile

My suggestions:

PS2
- Shadow Hearts & Shadow Hearts: Covenant. If you like RPG's at all, you have to try these. Easily my favorite RPG series next to FF.  I actually just bought SH:  C again over the weekend and it's just as good the second time through.  That says a lot, imo.
- Disgaea. The other Nippon Ichi games are fun (Phantom Brave, La Pucelle), but Disgaea is by far the best of the bunch.
- Xenosaga 1. Ep 1 is great, but don't bother with Ep 2.
- .hack series (worth a try now that each volume is $20'ish)
- Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
- Either of the Shin Megami Tensei games. They're not much for story, but the art style and combat are fun.
- Stella Deus is a decent SRPG, but you need to have a ton of time and patience for it.
- Legaia 2 is decent, especially for $10.

A few I really disliked:
- Stay far away from FF X-2. It's a nothing more than a horrid cash-in by Square.
- Y's: Ark of Napishtim.
- I personally hated everything about Star Ocean III, but I know quite a few people enjoyed it.
- Suikoden III & IV. I loved Suikoden II, but both of the PS2 Suikoden games just sucked. So....boring....
- Grandia II. It's not bad, per se. It is simply the most generic, boring RPG I've ever played. There was nothing unique about it at all.
- Unlimited Saga. I give them props for trying something unique, but it just didn't work at all.

PS1
- All the old Squaresoft games are worth trying if you haven't played them before. Any of the Final Fantasy's (VII and IX are personal favorites), Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Brave Fencer Musashi, Legend of Mana, etc.
- Final Fantasy Tactics is a must if you're into SRPG's at all.
- I'm not a big fan of Enix developed games, but they're highly recommended. Star Ocean II, Valkyrie Profile, Dragon Warrior, etc.
- Suikoden II
- Legend of Dragoon is a decent, if not spectacular, RPG.
- Vanguard Bandits
- Thousand Arms
- Lunar II

X-Box
RPG pickings are pretty slim for the X-Box:
- KotOR 1 & II
- Jade Empire (I thought it was pretty 'meh'. Felt like just a KotOR mod to me)
- Sudeki
- Fable (I highly enjoyed both Sudeki and Fable, even though they got trashed in reviews. If you don't play them expecting a deep, involved storyline and realize they're really just basic hack-n-slash, they're both really fun.)

GBA
See LE's list, but add Tactics Ogre

There's a few fun hack n slash games that some people consider RPG's as well.
- Baldur's Gate I & II
- D&D Heroes
- Champions of Norrath I & II
- The Bard's Tale

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2005, 02:24:24 PM »

It makes me sad that I have not enjoyed a RPG since the old PSone days.  I mean, I've had fun with some games, but nothing is comparable as the time I had when playing all those old games.  Maybe its just my lack of time, that I don't get lost in the games like I used to..

I've kind of lost faith in the FF series, but I am always going to be willing to try them out.. I just want someone to write up a unique story, and stop caring so much about it looking so pretty.  (not that I wouldn't mind both)

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2005, 03:39:22 PM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"

I've kind of lost faith in the FF series, but I am always going to be willing to try them out.. I just want someone to write up a unique story, and stop caring so much about it looking so pretty.  (not that I wouldn't mind both)

Those aren't mutually exclusive for Final Fantasy.  Square-Enix is a huge company and they put massive resources into these games.  The teams are so large and diverse that story, music, graphics, game system, etc are all developed by largely different teams.  If you find a story lackluster in a Final Fantasy game (I haven't in most of them) it's certainly not because resources were diverted from story to graphics.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2005, 10:57:54 PM »

I didn't mean to pick at the FF Series as much, even though I did see a lack in ffX and ffX2....It just seems like we have been waiting so long for something wonderful.  I just don't want to be disappointed, thats all.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 12:14:33 AM »

I would be perfectly happy if a company would continue pumping out SNES-style RPGs for the GBA.
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 03:48:47 AM »

Wow, I just played some Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits today, and I love the tactical combat model in it.  I heard from some reviews that it is a short game, which is too bad.. because I am enjoying it.  I can't believe how long I have been missing out on this great genre.

Welcome to the Bovine.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 06:50:45 AM »

I don't know how long it would take to rush through Twilight of the Spirits, but it's by no means a short game.  I'm slower than most people when playing RPGs, but I'm over 70 hours with ToTS and just now nearing the end.  I much prefer the Arc the Lad-type game where you have your traditional RPG exploration combined with tactical battles.  Unfortunately this is pretty rare.  You might want to track down the Arc the Lad Collection for the PSOne, which  includes Arc 1-3.  Arc 2 and 3 both play like ToTS, where you can freely explore, and their combat is even more tactical than in ToTS.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
I didn't mean to pick at the FF Series as much, even though I did see a lack in ffX and ffX2....It just seems like we have been waiting so long for something wonderful.  I just don't want to be disappointed, thats all.

Dude, I understand what you are saying about FFX-2. Its silly and dumb. But dissing FFX? Dude, draw weapons, strip blouse, and prepare to die!
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 01:17:24 AM »

no no, I didn't mean it as picking fun of FFX, I just wasn't totally "spend the whole day playing" into it, unlike the previous in the series.  But X-2 on the other hand, I have barely touched.

No downing FFX, I just don't hold it as high as the previous.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: