http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 03:56:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuntman: Ignition!  (Read 2363 times)
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2007, 02:21:15 PM »

Comes out next week, and I'm pretty psyched.  Until the demo came out last month, this was a backburner title for me, but the demo turned it into a day 1 pickup.  Usually, games that require that much repetition to "get it right" drive me nuts, but this one makes it fairly painless to restart (no load times), and it's just fun bashing through flaming walls and dodging missiles and stuff.

The only decision I have to make is whether I want to get Metroid Prime 3 as well.  Since I have Bioshock and Persona 3 to play as well, I probably shouldn't, but the 10% off coupon at Gamestop expires next friday...

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 02:37:30 PM »

I wasn't quite as excited by the demo as I expected to be, but I'm pretty sure I will be picking this one up some time.  I do love the driving and crashing and everything.  Since my 360 is on it's way to Microsoft it probably won't be for a few weeks, though. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 10:59:31 PM »

Psyched as well, but having just gotten Bio and Halo 3 in exactly one month, I am waiting.  Never ceases to amaze me how people buy games EVERY week.  Hell, there just too friggin expensive.  But yeah, I am excited about it and can't wait to give every level a whirl.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 11:55:48 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on August 24, 2007, 10:59:31 PM

Psyched as well, but having just gotten Bio and Halo 3 in exactly one month, I am waiting.  Never ceases to amaze me how people buy games EVERY week.  Hell, there just too friggin expensive.  But yeah, I am excited about it and can't wait to give every level a whirl.

Where?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 10:06:33 PM »

Where what? 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 04:18:24 PM »

The place it's too friggin expensive.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 11:15:29 PM »

Oh, I see it.  I'm slow but I come around.  And to answer your question, everywhere.  Back to the game:

I agree with the first post, usually trial-and-error games such as this drive me crazy, but for some reason I really really like it.  Soooo much going on and the working on it to perfection thing just appealed to me for some odd reason.  Seems like it should be a $39.99 title, but I will still get it I think.  Good one to pick up and play when you're bored and want something to fiddle with for a short while here and there.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:17:51 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 01:08:11 AM »

I'm surprised at the amount of advertising I've seen for this game, I kind of expected it to be a cult hit at best.  It's in all of the Sunday circulars, I saw a commercial on TV and a poster when I walked into Walmart last night. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 09:16:35 PM »

I've now played through the first movie, a stunt show and a commercial (even threaded a few of those).  What a fantastic game.  It has that great game quality that makes you want to play just one more time, and suddenly you've played for an hour.  Like the first Burnout, for a similarity in racing games.

I completed the first movie, Aftershock, and as a result, I was rewarded with a trailer for the film!  Brilliant.  The only drawback is that the trailer seems to be pre-rendered, so it's not filled with the driving you actually did, but it runs through a lot of the cool moves you did, so it's still pretty great.

I haven't even touched MP yet or the construction arena, but supposedly those are good too.

If you're on the fence, go get it.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 09:50:32 PM »

Picked up my copy today at lunch.  Unfortunately, I have the following things vying for my attention tonight:

-Bioshock
-Persona 3
-Stuntman
-Metroid Prime 3
-Jeanne d'Arc
-Dead Head Fred
-All Pro Football
-Heroes on HD DVD

I'm 90% sure I'll wind up watching Heroes, since that's something the GF wants to do too.

It's a problem, but it's a good problem to have.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 01:26:58 PM »

Got a chance to play this for a bit yesterday, and it gets a thumbs up from me.

It's not terribly different from the demo, so if you liked the demo, you'll like the full game.

They let you ride a motorcycle pretty early in the game, about three levels in.  The bike handles slightly differently than a car, but you have to be much more careful, as if you hit anything hard, you'll fall off, and the game restarts you where the bike lands, facing the way the bike is, and it's very difficult to recover from this, meaning if you're going for score, a crash means a restart.  Also on the bike, activating slides and things using the action button can be tricky, because you have to hit the button while you're in the activation box, not before, and the boxes can be small and you're usually moving quickly.

The game also starts to crank up the difficulty fairly fast.  By the third or fourth stage, I was having to do multiple runs just to pass, never mind for score.  However, once you've got the route down, re-running the stage going for score is very fun.  I also like that the game auto-saves your best run, and if you score high enough, it unlocks a saved replay of a 5-star run.

So this thing looks very promising.  I haven't touched the course builder, which sounds interesting, and multiplayer could be worth a try (though I'm not sure I like that in one mode, bumping someone else steals their streak, but it could work out okay).  I'm looking forward to finishing up the first movie, and moving on to shooting "Hootin' and Hollerin' II"!

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 02:52:27 PM »

Put in some more time last night, and I'm still loving it, and I really shouldn't be.  Here's why.

Normally, games where you have to repeat a sequence of moves over and over until you get them perfectly bug me.  The Tony Hawk series is the poster child for this.  If you don't nail it, try again.  And again.  And again.  These games drive me nuts. 

Stuntman is a difficult, unforgiving game.  Just figuring out the proper route to take through the crowded, highly explosive levels can be a challenge at times.  Doing it quickly, and hitting all the director's stunts, some of which are semi-counter-intuitive, is even more difficult.  Getting your score high enough to qualify for 4 or 5 stars is incredibly difficult.  This is not a game where if you finish the level, you're almost guaranteed 3 stars.  You have to work to even get 3.  I've only just finished the first movie because it takes many restarts to get three stars, and even more if I decide to go for 4.  The stunts are unforgiving (shooting a gap requires that you touch neither of the objects you're gapping, and don't get me started on the overtakes), and stringing tricks together takes speed, planning, and precision. 

Why, then, am I enjoying it so much?  A few things, I think.  First, restarts are almost instantaneous.  In games where you have to wait for loading, you have a few seconds to sit and fume about your failure.  In Stuntman, as soon as you hit restart, you're back at the beginning, and driving before you have a chance to get frustrated.  This makes all the difference in the world.

Second, there's very few cheap failures.  Every time your run is messed up, it's your fault.  You know what you did wrong, be it cutting a corner too close, starting a drift too late, or not getting enough speed on a jump, and you know how to fix it.

Third, even passing a stage with one star allows you to move on.  Knowing that I always have the option to keep going to the next stage, rather than being forced to beat my head against a wall, is a very good thing.  Personally, I don't consider a stage done until I have at least 3 stars, but I like having the option to move on if I start to get frustrated.

I also love the levels.  Universally over the top.  Tons of things blowing up, falling over, things to jump over and run through.  The setpiece stunts are also tons of fun, and exactly the kind of things you'd see in an action movie.  Getting to see the trailer for the movies is a nice little bonus.

What would I change?  It would be nice to have a bit more leeway on some of the stunts, mostly overtaking.  The camera in the replays is sometimes in a terrible position, and on at least one stunt, the angle makes it impossible to see a really cool stunt.  A positionable camera would be awesome, a movie editor would be even awesomer.  I wish you could filter the high score lists to show friends.  As it stands, you can only see the top ten for a level.

I guess that's about it.  I'm really like it so far.  There looks to be a lot of legs on this, since there's so many stages, and getting high scores on all of them will take a while.  There's also the multiplayer mode and contstructor modes, which I haven't touched yet.  I also kind of want to try it out with the MS wheel and see how that works out.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 03:57:51 PM »

The near instantaneous restarts cannot be underestimated in the appeal of this game.  It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it really, truly is.  I'm not sure if that took them a long time to set up or not, but it was worth it if it did.

Overtakes are the only stunt so far where I've been frustrated and didn't feel like it was completely my fault.  I guess you have to come at the car from behind and then pass it on the left.  Whatever method they use to judge whether you achieved it or not is a little too picky, IMO.

This game really surpised me.  I remember when the first one came out.  I played a level or two of it somewhere, thinking how much I wanted to like the game.  This time around it seems like they got it right.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

Overtakes are definitely a pain.  The icon indicates which side you have to pass on (I think), and it seems that the trick (according to the stunt glossary) is that you have to come alongside, and then pass in front of the car within a certain distance in front. 

My main beef with the overtakes is that sometimes they have you overtake to the right, meaning you have to move left in front of the car, and then cut back to the right to take a jump.  Even with the overtakes though, the trick, as with everything else, is getting yourself set up properly.  Come at any of the stunts from the wrong angle, at the wrong speed, and they become much more difficult to pull off.  Which is as it should be.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 03:46:14 AM »

I was just watching The Parallax View tonight (great 70's political thriller with Warren Beatty), and there was an okay chase scene in it.  It struck me that what they really need to do with this series is recreate classic scenes from movies and have you drive them.  No need for a story or anything.  Make them bonus missions if you have to, but put that together.  Maybe a downloadable bonus pack.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 05:25:28 AM »

That would be pretty cool.  They need the chase scene from the original Gone in 60 Seconds.  38 minutes of pure car chase and carnage.  Then you could get Bullit, The French Connection, Ronin...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 05:37:43 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 01, 2007, 05:25:28 AM

That would be pretty cool.  They need the chase scene from the original Gone in 60 Seconds.  38 minutes of pure car chase and carnage.  Then you could get Bullit, The French Connection, Ronin...

I hadn't thought of Gone in 60 Seconds, but Bullet and French Connection I did.  I forgot about Ronin.  That was one of the best car chases I've ever seen.  The Mini chase in The Bourne Identity would be good, too, but my first thought, for some reason, was Blues Brothers.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 05:35:43 PM »

Looking to play some of you online, I'm digging the multiplayer but there's only 1 game available at any given time since so few are trying to play online. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 06:47:06 PM »

Still working through the single player, and still having a blast.  The challenge keeps going up (hitting pipe ramps at speed to get the right amount of rotation is damn hard), but it's still a good challenege.  I just finished the third movie, and the next ones are the 70s flick in San Fran, then the James Bond flick, and then the Batman flick. 

The other day, I had a bunch of buddies over, and we spent a few hours just passing the controller around running levels.  Toward the end, they tried the multiplayer, but I didn't, so I can't really comment on it, but everyone had a really good time causing fantastic crashes all over the place.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 08:10:05 AM »

Just started this title after finishing BioShock.  Very enjoyable so far but I'm only on the very first movie.  I am having trouble with the first motorcycle scene where I have to hit the action (Y) button to slide under some flying cars.  I just can't seem to time it right and have only once gotten the bike to lay down, of course right after pulling off that stunt I missed the power slide corner and wiped out.  Even with this frustration I'm having a good time.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 11:06:41 AM »

Some of the activation areas for the action button stunts are really small.  I usually compensate by tapping the action button when I'm near the box, and that usually works okay.  The real trick with the slides is getting them lined up right so when you come out, you're headed where you need to be.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 11:50:51 AM »

7 stars to go until I hit rank 1.  This game is a blast and I'm having more fun than I've had in awhile on the 360.  Was surprised how much easier the final movie is than the others though, or I guess I could have been in a groove.  got 3 5 stars on the last movie first time through.  Usually got 2-3 stars on all the ones up to then first tries. (by first try I mean first successful completion, not first blind run through slywink
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 02:03:49 PM »

Hark, have you tried it with the wheel?  I keep meaning to pull mine out, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 07:31:23 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 05, 2007, 02:03:49 PM

Hark, have you tried it with the wheel?  I keep meaning to pull mine out, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

I've been meaning to break out the wheel and see how well it works.  Could be fun but some of those sharp turns and u-turns could be tricky.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 08:51:58 PM »

Yeah, I'm not convinced the wheel will be my preferred mechanism either, but it could be fun and lead to some spectacular crashes.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 10:44:51 PM »

I tried it with the wheel and it quite frankly sucked.  The game was definitely designed for the controller.  You can't really whip it left and right fast enough.  Also if you're on a bike, you can't pull back to wheelie.  You also don't want the wheel to catch on fire!  I need to send in for my repair kit slywink
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 04:40:14 PM »

Man, this game totally rules.  It's about everything I could have wanted from a new Stuntman game.  Lots of fun scenes in different movies, lots of vehicles, a bit forgiving but always making you want to replay and get a higher score.  Screw Halo 3, go pick this up at Best Buy for the $40 sale this week! 

OK, so I'm still waiting for my copy of Halo 3 to arrive via mail becasue I was a cheap bastard and got a deal online, but this game is still pretty badass.  Given how I'm not much of a multiplayer fan, I can conceive that I will have more fun with this than Halo 3. 

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 05:59:31 PM »

Is the controls done pretty well with the controller?   I usually suck big-time with controlling at driving games.  Does it handle ok?

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 07:16:59 PM »

Handles very well with the controller.  It's arcadey, but still requires precision.  Any problems I had completing levels were not due to the controls.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 26, 2007, 05:59:31 PM

Is the controls done pretty well with the controller? 

They is!

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 08:32:50 PM »

I'm up for some multiplayer with you guys anytime you see me on my box.  Not enough people playing it online and they all have janky settings like unlimited nitros.  It's fun online.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 09:59:15 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 26, 2007, 08:32:50 PM

I'm up for some multiplayer with you guys anytime you see me on my box. 

That's what she said!

Oh, snap, boyee!

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2007, 07:13:59 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 26, 2007, 05:59:31 PM

Is the controls done pretty well with the controller?   I usually suck big-time with controlling at driving games.  Does it handle ok?

Yeah, I have to say that the controls are spot on for a game like this.  A bit arcadey so you can do drifts and such, but tight enough so you're always in control and can hit your marks with some practice. 

I haven't tried out the construction set or multiplayer yet, are those pretty well implemented?  I think constructing my own stunt course will be pretty dang fun. 

I also like the little side projects with the commercials and stunt shows.  They're so much less forgiving than the movies, but rewarding when you get them right.  If the full game was like that it would drive me nuts, though. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: