http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 10:44:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuntman (PS2) or Chase Hollywood Stunt Driver - should I bother?  (Read 984 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2008, 04:04:27 PM »

I really like the concept behind these games, but the reviews are pretty average. Is there fun to be had with either?

(Yes, I know there is a sequel to Stuntman and it is supposed to be better, but I am specifically asking about these last-gen titles).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:10:03 PM »

Stunt Island.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »

Stuntman is kind of fun, but it's frustratingly difficult.  if you don't like having to repeat the same driving sequence over and over until you get it right, it's definitely not the game for you.  they had a good idea, but the execution was not great.  the sequel is supposedly much improved though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:31:29 PM »

Stuntman Ignition on the 360 was one of my favorite games of the past year.  It's still "repeat until you get it" driving, but when you fail and retry, there's virtually no loading time at all, which takes a lot of the sting out of retries.  Plus, the levels are so over the top and awesome, it's still fun even going back and retrying many times to max your score.  Highly, highly recommended if you have a 360.

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 05:35:37 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 06, 2008, 04:31:29 PM

Stuntman Ignition on the 360 was one of my favorite games of the past year.  It's still "repeat until you get it" driving, but when you fail and retry, there's virtually no loading time at all, which takes a lot of the sting out of retries.  Plus, the levels are so over the top and awesome, it's still fun even going back and retrying many times to max your score.  Highly, highly recommended if you have a 360.
Agreed.
A tremendous game. And tremendously underappreciated.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 06:16:20 PM »

The original Stuntman is a lot of fun.  You have to be willing to repeat the same thing over and over again until you get it right, but I found myself doing a little better each time.  It's not like some games where you never seem to get any better.  If you stick with it and keep repeating the stunts, you'll eventually get through.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 02:47:14 AM »

Quote from: Cleric7 on May 06, 2008, 05:35:37 PM

Quote from: Chaz on May 06, 2008, 04:31:29 PM

Agreed.
A tremendous game. And tremendously underappreciated.

Absolutely.  I know the topic was asking about the last-gen games, but it's worth repeating that Stuntman on the 360 freaking rocks. 

I played Chase on the original XBox and I enjoyed it.  Certainly not the best game ever, but it entertained me for the cheap used price. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 02:37:10 PM »

I decided to give Stuntman a shot - it's going to be free through Goozex, so it's low risk.  If I like it, I will definitely get Stuntman 2.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 02:52:29 PM »

I would argue that Stuntman is a poor indicator of how much you'll like Stuntman Ignition.  From what I remember, there were some fairly hefty loading times for retries in the first one, and the stunts were very unforgiving.  Ignition removes the loading times, and the stunts are more forgiving.  I didn't like Stuntman, but loved Ignition.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 02:59:22 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 07, 2008, 02:52:29 PM

I would argue that Stuntman is a poor indicator of how much you'll like Stuntman Ignition.  From what I remember, there were some fairly hefty loading times for retries in the first one, and the stunts were very unforgiving.  Ignition removes the loading times, and the stunts are more forgiving.  I didn't like Stuntman, but loved Ignition.

OK, well, if I think that I would like it with easier stunts and shorter loading times, I will get Stuntman 2 smile

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 01:30:20 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 07, 2008, 02:59:22 PM

OK, well, if I think that I would like it with easier stunts and shorter loading times, I will get Stuntman 2 smile

He's talking about Stuntman: Ignition on the Xbox 360, not Stuntman 2. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 01:43:15 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 08, 2008, 01:30:20 AM

I think we're talking about the same thing.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 05:47:12 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 08, 2008, 01:43:15 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 08, 2008, 01:30:20 AM

I think we're talking about the same thing.

Yeah, I guess so.  For some reason I was thinking that there was actually a Stuntman 2 released like a year after the first, but I can find no record of it.  Weird.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: