http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:43:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stubbs the zombie?  (Read 3872 times)
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2005, 02:21:23 AM »

anyone form an opinion of this game yet?

i'm thinking about picking it up, but the game is out (10/18-19) with only two real reviews showing up.

what does anyone think of it?
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 03:07:52 AM »

I want to hear the soundtrack.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 04:28:31 AM »

I played a few levels tonight.  The fact that I played so many should tell you that I liked it.  The gameplay is very simple, much in the way that Halo is simple, and though it uses the same engine, it really isn't like Halo at all.  Still, there is the same sort of zen flow to the thing.  However, that makes the really abrupt story changes quite jarring.  There's next to no attempt to keep a storyline going.  Stubbs just appears.  There's no reason given for his existence (yet, anyway).  Also, one second you're working through a compound, having an odd little dance contest with a general, suddenly there's an explosion and you're on a new city level working towards a mall.  Or you've finally caught up to the barbershop quartet that stole Stubbs' love interest; the lead singer starts shooting something red at you; you think, ooh, here comes a boss fight; suddenly you're in a police station with no explanation of where the love interest went or what happened to the "boss."  But you probably noticed the quirkiness of the previous two examples.  The game is oozing style, literally.  Hah.  Sometimes it almost seems like it's trying too hard, but not quite.  The futuristic yet 50s setting seems an odd choice, but it kind of works.  Most of the helpful robots are kind of amusing, though I think more could have been done with them.  The "film grain" on the screen is nice, but I wish you had a choice to shut it off.  It can frequently make things too dark.  And there's no gamma option that I can see.

There does seem to be co-op play (or at least a 2 player game), but no multiplayer at all.

Overall, it's fun.  It seems like it'll be short.  There are some big drawbacks to it, but it's worth a rental at least.  Good, but nowhere near the 9.0 that 1Up gave it. http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3144774&did=1  Maybe a 7.6 or so.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 04:47:13 AM »

I'm really liking it so far. It plays like a cross between Halo and Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee with gory zombie and 50s sci-fi trappings. What it lacks in technical wow-factor it makes up for with style, humor, and good music. It feels like an extremely high quality Halo mod.

It's a lot of fun to take an area full of cops firing at you and slowly turn them into an army of zombies. The brain chomping animation is a riot and endlessly rewarding. Not sure if it has staying power, and the absence of a Stubbs origin story is glaring, but early on this feels like a fun one.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 05:33:44 PM »

an extremely high quality Halo mod

That hits it on the head.  

And I would swear that Stubbs' whistle to call his hordes is the same as Abe's.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 08:13:11 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
an extremely high quality Halo mod

That hits it on the head.  

And I would swear that Stubbs' whistle to call his hordes is the same as Abe's.

Hmm, not sure I to play this as much now.  I didnt know it would be regarded as a Halo mod.  Oh well, maybe I'll still give it a rental after all.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 08:25:15 PM »

I thought that quote might turn people off but I didn't mean it as any kind of insult. It's just that it uses the Halo engine plus it has  an unusually creative style, concept, and sense of humor that seems more common in the mod community than in retail games.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to rent it first. I imagine I'll play it until I beat it or tire of it in a month or so and then trade it in (probably towards an Xbox 360 game) to bring the total cost down around the $30 range.

These are early early impressions. I'll report back on the game's variety and staying power after I play it some more.

But again, the brain chomping animation is classic. If you're a fan of the old Return of the Living Dead movies, this is right up your alley. (And as you can tell from my Re-animator avatar, I am that kind of fan.) BRAAAAAAINS!
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 08:32:01 PM »

I'm sure I'll end up still renting it.  Just not sure when, where is the mainstream hype for this game?  The big sites are as dead as the Zombies themselves.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 09:49:39 PM »

With so many high profile games coming out this week, something had to get lost in the shuffle.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 01:02:28 AM »

I picked it up and have been having fun with it, but it only looks like I have 5 levels left after 2 and a half hours of play (just arrived on the farm).  Just as I was getting annoyed with the 'dance contest' (couldn't get the timing right on the 3rd round for some reason) it gave me the option to skip and 'win' the 'battle', which was pretty cool.  There is some disjointedness between the levels, but I'm hoping it comes together in the end.

Graphics wise it's OK.  I don't like the grainy effect the game has.  I love the music though

I'd say wait for a good price drop on it or just rent it.  I plan on trying to win it as quickly as possible so I can get the maximum trade in back.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 01:27:19 AM »

I'm kinda glad to hear that it's nice and short. I've got other games that need playin! biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 03:35:54 AM »

I have confirmed my fears about this game.  If you must play it, rent it.  DO NOT BUY IT FOR 50 BUCKS.  I've gotten maybe 6 hours of gameplay out of it and I'm on the final boss.   It's only my opinion, but for 50 bucks you should get more for your buck.

Because I can,
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 03:22:23 PM »

Yeah.. a friend and I beat co-op over the weekend in a single 5 hour play session.

Very entertaining, though.  Probably the most quotable game ever made. "Suck my death nipple!"

PS. Morton, Stubb's origin is told in flashbacks near the end of the game.
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 05:22:18 PM »

well i picked up stubbs over the weekend and i am having a really good time with it. it is funny. it has great art direction. the music is awesome and the zombie sounds and animations are well done and very funny to watch and listen to.

some say the game is short. if you see value only in how long a game is - then rent this one. but what's the value in a 40+ hour game that you'll never finish?

if you love zombies or games that are full of creativity and humor - then you will like stubbs. if you are not sure, then try before you buy.

the downside so far? i want more of the soundtrack. they tease the hell out of you with some great sounding songs. i wish i could hear them and select them like in tony hawk. but no. you will be teased. you'll have to seek out the soundtrack to hear the full versions of ben kweller and death cab for cutie doing covers of 50's pop/rock. maybe the developers can throw us a bone someday and include the music as a 2nd disc?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 06:24:57 PM »

some say the game is short.

I'm all for short games.  Although I should amend that to say "appropriately short."  Just like in any story-telling medium, the game should be as long as the story dictates.  Unfortunately, that's kind of an intangible thing, but to me, so far, Stubbs feels short.

zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 09:00:40 PM »

I'm all for short games.  Although I should amend that to say "appropriately short."  Just like in any story-telling medium, the game should be as long as the story dictates.  Unfortunately, that's kind of an intangible thing, but to me, so far, Stubbs feels short.

--

i guess near the end of the game stubbs origin is revealed. that is one very odd thing about the game - you are just thrown into the levels at the beginning wondering how the hell you just got there. maybe as i play through more of it that will all make sense?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 03:42:31 AM »

Yeah, I just starting finding things out, too.  I guess I should have figured there'd be something, but the story stuff is just thrown at you so randomly.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 01:18:58 PM »

I just played the militia levels and had a blast fighting and hiding in the corn rows. Very clever concept and I couldn't believe this was the first time I'd seen it.

I just got to the dam ("Where our motto is 'Dam it.'") How much more do I have left?
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 03:40:34 PM »

x Post from OO:

Okay.  I played the game off and on the last few days.  Usually I have a good feel for a game after just a bit, but I had to let my thoughts simmer on this one.

My final thoughts are:
The concept of the game and the production value are both top notch.  The soundtrack is also worthy of extra special praise.

The gameplay... well, that's what has troubled me.  Overall, I think they dropped the ball in one important area... interface.  One of the key mechanics of the game is using your undead horde effectively against those nasty humans.  For such a core part of the game... it's just not very fun.  Playing single player I've found myself constantly frustrated with unresponsive zombies and sub par controls.  Some of this may be by design, but either way I just don't find it very fun to manage your zombies.

Now, that said, coop is a hoot.  Having another person there to help keep your rabble in line and to help with your attacks makes a big difference.  It's definitely the type of game that's fun to pick up for a few hours with a buddy, eat some brains, and move on.

Overall, I'm a tad disappointed with the game, both with length and gameplay, but the production value and fun story make up for a lot of that, especially when playing coop.  My biggest hope is that the game will sell well enough to warrent a sequel that might address some of my problems with it.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 07:49:53 PM »

They're making a computer-animated primetime show based on the game, apparently to air on Fox.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 08:23:58 PM »

They're making a computer-animated primetime show based on the game, apparently to air on Fox.

No, no.  I believe that's the similarly-50s-themed-but-with-aliens-instead-of-zombies Destroy All Humans.

Edit to add:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/video_games/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001351055

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 09:38:20 PM »

You're right.  That's what I get for having 10 tabs open in Firefox all the time, and switching back and forth between news stories and forum postings slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 02:50:37 PM »

I finished Stubbs last night. Awesome game.  Too bad I can't recommend it at $50 and only about 8 hours.

BUT this would be a great title if you can pick it up for around $25. Or rent it. I'm gonna trade it in today and put the cash toward The Movies.

Using your hand to possess a soldier with a sniper rifle or a rocket launcher was awesome and a lot like another favorite of mine, Psi-Ops.

The Stubbs origin story you get at the end is kinda funny but it's still strange how the game drops you right in without any setup. They should have established that Stubbs is in search of his identity/destiny. As it is, it's like the story ends but never really begins.

I also don't like the city name: Punchbowl. Really doesn't fit.

I'd like to see a sequel that ditches the futurama and focuses on the 50s B-movie horror.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2005, 05:36:59 PM »

I'm still tempted to pick this up as my Halloween game (I'm more in the mood for fun horror than scary OMGWTF horror), despite the price/length ratio.  Maybe I can make a point of finishing it up in a week or so and then trading it back in for something else to cut my net cost.  What would it trade in for at a place like Gamestop, maybe $15-20?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 05:37:59 PM »

Yeah, rumor of the 5 hour length of the game pretty much killed my interest in it.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 07:16:40 PM »

Well, I played on Tough and got at least 8 hours worth if not more, which is closer to acceptable but still on the short side.

Freeze, I would assume that the game would be worth minimum $20 or $22 on trade in at Gamestop for at least a month or six weeks. I'll trade it in today and let you know what they're offering. If you want to play it and decide early to go that route, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's fun as hell with good music and a few bits of comedy gold.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2005, 12:25:51 AM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Well, I played on Tough and got at least 8 hours worth if not more, which is closer to acceptable but still on the short side.

Freeze, I would assume that the game would be worth minimum $20 or $22 on trade in at Gamestop for at least a month or six weeks. I'll trade it in today and let you know what they're offering. If you want to play it and decide early to go that route, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's fun as hell with good music and a few bits of comedy gold.

They're offering 18 bucks around here.

Because I can,
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2005, 04:03:52 AM »

Yeah, I asked today and got the same answer. Guess I was a bit too optimistic.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2005, 02:57:44 PM »

Thanks, CeeKay and rrmorton.  You two are menschen.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2005, 10:04:24 PM »

Quote from: "Freezer-TPF-"

Hey, I've never been near enough to Rob to do that  Tongue

but I did do this  :wink:

Because I can,
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2005, 01:38:47 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Quote from: "Freezer-TPF-"

Hey, I've never been near enough to Rob to do that  Tongue

but I did do this  :wink:

Good review!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: