http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 06:52:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stronghold Kingdoms  (Read 6330 times)
Fuzzballx
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2010, 10:12:43 PM »

This game entered beta (or final stage in other words, no more resets like in it's alpha phases) a few weeks ago now.  I've been on it a while now and was hesitant to recommend another MMORTS after astro empires, ikariam, and some of the others...which after a while, well, they just all ran together into one big steaming pile.

www.strongholdkingdoms.com  is made by the actual company built the stronghold games apparently and which is currently working on stronghold 3.

Kingdoms takes the MMORTS concept way beyond the level of just a browser game imho.  It actually runs inside a client for one thing and has a very nice interface which works smoothly and quickly for the most part.

The game isn't nearly as intensive time wise or punishing in defeats as many of the browser based mmorts either.  Yes you can lose your villages...but their not hard to rebuild.  Even if you suffer total defeat of your villages and they are all lost, you maintain any cards, honor, honor rank, gold, faith points, and research you have....which means yer new villages on restart (game restarts you with a new villa if yer old ones are all gone) goes up daggum fast and yer right back innit.

Game is heavy on the politics too with the ranks and leaders from parish to county to country etc, besides the standard honor ranks everyone has from "village idiot" clear up to "prince" you can be elected either fairly, through manipulation via the church, or by military threat or overthrow to the stewardship of your parish(s), sheriff of your county(s) and even king of your nation(s).  Of which i believe there are 4 nations.....Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and England.

The AI also takes on a major role meaning you can get lots of action without fighting other players...and the AI (play it to understand better) also attacks your castles (every village you own is in 2 parts...the village, and the nearby castle, the castle being the part that can be attacked). 

You design and bulid your own castles and villages.  The castles give you near total freedom as to design.  You place your troops as you like...build ballista and turrets as well, Moats, spike pits, tunnels to behind attackers, gates, towers, walls...upgrade your keep and defenses with research, etc.

You setup your troops in formations and attack directions as attacker/defender and watch the battles playout on a 2.5d battlefield.  Things like elevation matter in defense.  Archers on great towers have greater range etc.

The game makes it's money selling premium tokens which help but aren't neccessary and card packs which help a lot in progressing faster but don't give you greater total killing power you've maxed out your troop research.  They can give you greater defensive strength though by making walls stronger for a few hours etc.

There's a free card system in place to give everyone some cards whether they donate or not, this just got started which is what finally put me over the edge to wholeheartedly recommend the game.

The game has factions and factions join Houses which become the real political and military might of the game if they can actually all go one way.

Number of houses is limited even though number of factions isn't.  Factions can be voted out of houses making placement in and trust within a faction pretty important to avoid being kicked out of your own house and overthrown!

Many paths of progression and various successful ways to play the game.   Some focus on being producers and building honor through the happiness of their populations and or throwing large banquets with special production banquet goods.  Some focus on faith and church reserch paths which are great for manipulation.  Some focus on military (Some mainly on just AI castle killing like me, which is actually a big dang deal later on when the more powerful types of AI castles start popping up more, and some on pillaging other players for their goods).

Takes honor points to advance ranks in the game.  Costs honor points to attack another player, more depending on TYPE of attack, like a takeover costs a LOT of honor and a WHOLE LOT of honor points if they're well below your own "honor rank"

So rampant destruction for the sake of destruction rarely happens.

Anyhow, try it out.

www.strongholdkingdoms.com
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 11:09:08 PM »

Heh, I've actually been playing this casually for a few weeks and was about to post about it.  I'm not nearly as far into the game as you have obviously been, but I am having fun.

After playing on and off one weekend and then taking a week (or two?) off, I came back to find my village was gone because it had been taken by some other guy.  I quickly established a new one and now have a decent little town going.  I'm pretty poor, though, so I can't really build defenses and can't do any further researching so most of the time now is just spent waiting, hoping I can get enough resources and villagers to do something.  I almost want to just start a new character since this one seems like he won't be able to do anything for a long time, especially since there is an AI castle right near me as well as an enemy Siege camp that has already attacked a couple times.

I also can't say I totally understand all of the things you can do, like how the politics stuff works at all how and why I would donate things to my parish, but maybe understanding of that stuff comes with time.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:46:49 AM »

excellent wiki (help) and forum with noob info section available via in game help menu.

Strongly recommended to pick a focus with your research early on so you don't get stuck going nowhere as a jack of all techs.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:19:27 AM »

I saw this when it appeared on Steam the other day, so I thought I'd give it a go. Well the account creation screen seems to be so ineptly programmed that it won't accept any password I enter. I'm glad I've gotten to the point where I don't have the patience for things like this anymore. I figure with something as rudimentary as that flawed, the rest of the game really can't  be worth my time. Oh well...deleted....gone...moving on.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »

I tried this out with a friend the day it became available.  I love the idea but we both agreed that it failed in execution.  You have to fight the menu the entire time, parts of the tutorial are unclear and itís just not very fun to play. 
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:47:14 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 01, 2012, 05:19:27 AM

I saw this when it appeared on Steam the other day, so I thought I'd give it a go. Well the account creation screen seems to be so ineptly programmed that it won't accept any password I enter. I'm glad I've gotten to the point where I don't have the patience for things like this anymore. I figure with something as rudimentary as that flawed, the rest of the game really can't  be worth my time. Oh well...deleted....gone...moving on.
you really aren't missing anything... i saw it on steam too and decided to download it simply because i have been immobile for about 5 weeks and have been running out of games to play.

This game is actually a web browser game that takes up around 500mb on your hard drive (it reminds me vaguely of evony)... I am stunned that steam let this crap in their store. <-- maybe too harsh?  it just seems waaaaay out of place as a steam game.

Basically you might spend an hour or two reading up and "playing" the game the first time you fire it up, but I am finding myself only spending about 10-15 minutes once or twice a day to send out scouts and build a building or two.

I am currently in World 4 in the county just to the RIGHT of dublin...
i might give it a week just because i am so bored - anyone that wants to give it a try feel free to pick a city near me and when i leave I can send you my stuff.

I have also read some complaints on their boards that the game is rife with multiaccounters who are making the game unfun.

The only thing that might make the game more enjoyable would be if the game speed was multiplied x100 for a game of weekend play.

Three big mistakes i made:
1.  I thought that we could move buildings around for free... apparently that was due to a beginner credit that was invisibly counting down every time i moved something... i was moving my resourse pile around so that i would maximize stone or wood production as needed... now it is stuck forever by the stone production (instead of in between to balance out production for the long haul)

2.  The research tree is nonsensical (in a couple of ways)...
A- there is a little number in the pictures which make you think that you need that level of research - nope... it is based on the level of your account (which is incredibly slow to advance).  So i was sitting there advancing my food research to such a level that i thought it would unlock wheat and pigs, but it would not unlock.
B- some research items that require much higher level are way to the left (where you might think that beginner research items would be)

3.  I waited too long to build the merchant house which has really left me in a jam - i would suggest building it early (right when it comes available at lev5 (i am currently level 7 i think)

a few hints:
Be sure to build wood and stone production and focus on orchards until you get up to level 6 or 7 (bondsman or freeman i think) - multiple food items give you a bonus but only if they are equal amounts (it seems like in early game there is a bigger bang for double and tripling rations of one item instead of having multiple food items).

don't sweat building an army - you can't build anything but peasant troops until level 6- right after a new world start i am finding 10 peasants can go out and fight wolf lairs and minorbandit stuff - i generally just put leftover peasants into the army because you have to wait sooooooooooooooo long for buildings to build up as you get further into the game.

definitely build banquet stuff (can be used to boost your level over time) and food multipliers during the early game (you can double rations so that peasants come in faster)

the one cool aspect of the game mentioned is fuzz's first post is the faction/house system and that there are parish, county, and kingdom cities... i voted myself in as parish leader, which gives me access to build out the parish city.  there are in-game forums where you hypothetically can communicate, but no one is doing that at this point (only a few days into a new game world).

============================
the most annoying thing for me?  about 50% of the time when you click your shortcut to get into the launch screen - around 50% of the time they wont put the start button in their launch screen... so you have to restart around 3 or 4 times just so you can get into the game for 10 minutes and log off.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:28:29 PM by notrich » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: