http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:35:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strike Suit Zero  (Read 725 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:56:08 PM »

I am a backer of Strike Suit Zero   Its a mecha space sim and for being a backer I received three codes for 25% off if you order directly from Born Ready store

PM me and I will send.  First three get them.  If i don't respond right away it's due to work

Lastly, only giving to members with some history.  Newly registered folks will be ignored

edit - 0 left
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:01:23 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:45:30 AM »

thanks for the code Soulchilde.  sadly, the store page gets an error now:
We were unable to find the requested file or resource.

guess they took the link down. 

so, how is it so far? 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 06:04:30 AM »

looking forward to impressions on this one.  looks fun but I also read it gets kinda frustrating due to the checkpoint save system:

7.5 from IGN

'A stunning but frustrating space shooter"

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:03:32 AM »

It's fun and brutal due to the checkpoints.   I started out utilizing the 360 controller and soon switched to the mouse/kb and I am finding the fighting and flying much better

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 24, 2013, 06:04:30 AM

looking forward to impressions on this one.  looks fun but I also read it gets kinda frustrating due to the checkpoint save system:

7.5 from IGN

'A stunning but frustrating space shooter"

Ben Kuchera's take

"Strike Suit Zero is just about everything you want in a space combat game. ... The issue is that the missions are both long and unforgiving ... Don’t let that scare you away, this game is going to be close to perfect once the checkpoint since is fixed, and genre fans are going to fall in love very quickly."

Looks like it's flawed but fun, with a chance for the flaws to get patched out.  Given how dead the genre is, I'm not going to be overly picky when a developer decides to take a chance. smile
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:09:59 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 24, 2013, 03:45:30 AM

thanks for the code Soulchilde.  sadly, the store page gets an error now:
We were unable to find the requested file or resource.

guess they took the link down. 

so, how is it so far? 

Btw, Caine from their twitter feed

Born Ready Games ‏@BornReadyGames

@WolfSamurai yeah, there was an issue with the autoamted system. We'll have this sorted today and let you know when the store's back up.

I think Kato redeemed his code as Steam had him as a user, so I know it worked.  Hopefully, they get it sorted out soon.

NiM$
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:05:01 PM »

I'm having a great time with this, but contrary to Soulchild I am having more success and enjoyment with the Xbox controller rather the mouse and keyboard. Nice soundtrack btw

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 02:04:36 AM »

I've been playing a copy I'll be reviewing soon, and I've been using the controller... Is it just me, or is the mapping odd? I had to remap the analog sticks to fly the ship with any reasonable ability, and I can barely fly the strike suit at all, no matter how I map the analog sticks. Do I just suck, am I doing something wrong or are the controls weird?

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on January 25, 2013, 02:04:36 AM

I've been playing a copy I'll be reviewing soon, and I've been using the controller... Is it just me, or is the mapping odd? I had to remap the analog sticks to fly the ship with any reasonable ability, and I can barely fly the strike suit at all, no matter how I map the analog sticks. Do I just suck, am I doing something wrong or are the controls weird?

The Strike Suit is too loose...  Your forced to use the auto-target to keep tracking..   If you looked at most of the Dev's videos they use a flight stick and throttle, so I am thinking that's the optimized way to play

Still having fun with this I give this 7 out of 10.  The music which I normally turn off has been surprising good

NiM$
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »

I got through with the code you gave me Soulchilde. 

thank you. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 06:15:06 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 25, 2013, 03:01:41 PM

Quote from: davidrobots on January 25, 2013, 02:04:36 AM

The Strike Suit is too loose...  Your forced to use the auto-target to keep tracking..   If you looked at most of the Dev's videos they use a flight stick and throttle, so I am thinking that's the optimized way to play

Still having fun with this I give this 7 out of 10.  The music which I normally turn off has been surprising good

Yeah, I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'm really digging it, but it can be frustratingly difficult in some parts. Reminds me of Colony Wars mixed with giant robot anime. Which is always a good thing.

David Roberts

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »

My final review is up: http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/its-like-one-of-my-japanese-animes-strike-suit-zero-review/

David Roberts

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on February 01, 2013, 03:56:38 PM

Great review and I agree.  Although, the checkpoints in this game are a massive let down in my book.   Oh, I would have taken some points off for the "Chase the Torpedo" mission that ALWAYS appear in these game.  I hate those mission

NiM$
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 05:44:15 PM »

coming in March this to PS4/XB1

ANNOUNCING STRIKE SUIT ZERO: DIRECTOR’S CUT
Hear that sound? It’s the news horn! Which means we have some big news to share.

Today we’ve announced Strike Suit Zero: Director’s Cut, which will be heading to both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in March (£14.99 / $19.99). The Director’s Cut version of the game not only takes advantage of the power of the next-gen consoles, but adds a host of other additions and improvements, making this the definitive version of the game. Later this Spring, we’ll be following this up with a version of the game for PC, a platform that is very much considered a home by space combat fans. We’ll keep you updated with any developments relating to the PC version as they happen.

The Director’s Cut features a restructured campaign – particularly relating to the first few missions, allowing the player to get in the cockpit of the Strike Suit much earlier – with an adapted story and all new dialogue. We’ve also given the game a complete graphical overhaul, including upscaled ships and updated textures and lighting. We’ve also included the Heroes of the Fleet mission pack, and both the Marauder and Raptor Strike Suits. We’ve taken a year’s worth of comments and suggestions on board, too, directly addressing the points of our community and critics.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 06:38:38 PM »

Quote from: Caine on February 19, 2014, 05:44:15 PM

coming in March this to PS4/XB1

ANNOUNCING STRIKE SUIT ZERO: DIRECTOR’S CUT
Hear that sound? It’s the news horn! Which means we have some big news to share.

Today we’ve announced Strike Suit Zero: Director’s Cut, which will be heading to both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in March (£14.99 / $19.99). The Director’s Cut version of the game not only takes advantage of the power of the next-gen consoles, but adds a host of other additions and improvements, making this the definitive version of the game. Later this Spring, we’ll be following this up with a version of the game for PC, a platform that is very much considered a home by space combat fans. We’ll keep you updated with any developments relating to the PC version as they happen.

The Director’s Cut features a restructured campaign – particularly relating to the first few missions, allowing the player to get in the cockpit of the Strike Suit much earlier – with an adapted story and all new dialogue. We’ve also given the game a complete graphical overhaul, including upscaled ships and updated textures and lighting. We’ve also included the Heroes of the Fleet mission pack, and both the Marauder and Raptor Strike Suits. We’ve taken a year’s worth of comments and suggestions on board, too, directly addressing the points of our community and critics.

God dammit...I just bought the regular version last weekend.   icon_evil

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 06:47:09 PM »

if it helps, I have three copies of this.  the one I barely played after getting it for $15, one that came in a humble bundle (iirc) and one from a amazon bundle. 

and yet, if this goes on a psn sale, I would almost guarantee a double dip.

me=shameless

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 06:28:07 PM »

well, it missed the March date, and is now releasing next week.  April 8th

Source

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »

This is out now and PSN+ members can get it for $15.99.  I'm waiting for a few reviews but will likely pull the trigger on it at this price.  It would look great on the big screen. 

Anyone else jumping in?

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »

Pretty sure I'll be getting this for the XB1 soon.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 04:18:08 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 09, 2014, 03:30:36 PM

This is out now and PSN+ members can get it for $15.99.  I'm waiting for a few reviews but will likely pull the trigger on it at this price.  It would look great on the big screen. 

Anyone else jumping in?

I got it and really enjoyed the brief time I got to play. Looks really nice on the HDTV, like you say.  May be running at 60fps, too, 'cause it's very smooth.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »

yeah, looks like reviews are favorable too.  hopefully that $15 I paid for it last year helps the dev stay afloat.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »

If you own the PC version the Directors Cut on Steam is discounted 85%. Figured I'd go ahead and do that. I barely played the original (which I also got on a discount) but the $3 for the DC didn't seem to bad. Before playing the DC I played a few of the original missions to do a little comparison. They did re-work the textures so instead of all surfaces looking shiny silver/grey the surfaces now have some color to them. It could be more detailed so only a minor improvement - plus right now shadows can't be turned on so I expect things to look a bit more nicer once that gets fixed. The first few missions have been reworked a bit. You get in the strike suit faster (mission 2) which is nice and the small changes they've made to the missions cuts out some of the boring moments where you're just waiting for something to happen. There's also some new dialogue added which explains what's going on a bit better than it originally did. And the music is now a cross between something you might hear on Battlestar Galatica and Enigma (the "band" from the 90's).

But its a fun arcade space combat game perfect with the gamepad. You're continually switching back and forth between the fighter and strike suit modes. They control very different and have different purposes. And it is pretty fun to switch between the two on the fly. Basically the closest thing you can get to Robotech.

I should mention too I've already got back some of what I paid for the DC by just selling the cards collected from playing it. Seems to be a lot of complaints on Steam about it costing money for people who own the original, but at the 85% discount it seems like a non-issue and a reason to throw the developer a bone. And even cheaper with selling the cards you earn.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:44:21 PM by Crawley » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 06:16:01 PM »

ha.  figures.  already downloading it on the PS4 too. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: