http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 05:33:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Street Fighter IV Impressions  (Read 22754 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »

You can taunt by holding down Heavy Punch and Heavy Kick at the same time. You even get a trophy (or achievement) for doing this 10 times. smile

You start out with only 1 taunt per character, but you can unlock more as you try the challenges.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »

Dan's the only one with a super taunt because he's awesome.  With a full super bar do a double hadoken motion and then the taunt command (HP + HK).

He also has a non-super air taunt (jump and HP+HK) and crouching taunt (duck and HP+HK).
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2009, 05:43:22 PM »

They really need to add blind character selection in a patch.  I am already tired of having people I played in ranked matches hover over one guy, wait til I pick, then choose someone else.  That, and seeing nothing but Ken, Ryu, Akuma, and Sagat is annoying (though the best guy I played all night used Guile).

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2009, 06:19:15 PM »

Since you know most people will pick Ken, Ryu, Akuma, or Sagat (Sagat seems least likely) just pick someone who you'd pick if they picked Ryu and were going to do an endless number of fireballs.  That's probably what will happen anyway.

PSN ID: evilhomer3k
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 23, 2009, 05:43:22 PM

They really need to add blind character selection in a patch.  I am already tired of having people I played in ranked matches hover over one guy, wait til I pick, then choose someone else.  That, and seeing nothing but Ken, Ryu, Akuma, and Sagat is annoying (though the best guy I played all night used Guile).

Meh, it doesn't matter. In my 54 online matches, I've chosen character last only once or twice. They'll pick Ken anyway.

Edit: Actually though, I agree with you. I'd like character selection to be secret until both have chosen a character. Otherwise, in ranked games with higher stakes, you'll see both players waiting for the full 30 seconds and then do a split-second move to their chosen character. That's just boring.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:06:31 PM by TiLT » Logged
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2009, 08:39:29 PM »

They should give you a few extra battle points if you win after picking the "random character select" option. That might encourage people to play characters other than Ken, Ryu, or whoever they are most familiar with.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2009, 08:13:54 AM »

FUCK. ZANGIEF.

**edited** 15 tries later, and he's done for...on medium difficulty.

Goddamn man, he spent an entire round grabbing me.  Freakin' LIGHTNING quick!

In other news, I played my fair share of Ken's and Akuma's online.  Almost beat one Tongue  SOON, soon I won't be a scrub.  Or at least as as fuck-awful as I am now.

**edited** and Seth took only 1 try.

I fear Zangief.  He will haunt my dreams tonight.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:26:39 AM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2009, 08:21:09 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 24, 2009, 08:13:54 AM

FUCK. ZANGIEF.

What's wrong with him? I've fought him several times online and found it to be relatively easy all the times. He seems to leave large vulnerable areas when he attacks.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2009, 08:28:59 AM »

Hmmm, I guess the question is why isn't my high score from arcade mode posting on the leaderboard?  Was it because I had infinite time?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 24, 2009, 08:28:59 AM

Hmmm, I guess the question is why isn't my high score from arcade mode posting on the leaderboard?  Was it because I had infinite time?

yes it is

You have to play best of 3, 99 second rounds and medium or higher difficulty for it to show up. 

BTW the trick to fighting Zangief with pretty much anyone is to stay the hell away.  If your character has no ranged attack just hit and run.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2009, 02:36:40 PM »

I always considered myself a decent SF player, but damn if I didn't get my ass kicked six ways to Sunday last night playing ranked matches. I probably won about 1 out of every 4, leaving my battle points hovering around 400 (I topped out at 600). There are some seriously good players out there.

Any of you scrubs wanna tussle? smile
EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »

That has always been what is so annoying about Street Fighter.  On higher difficulties you almost always have to resort to tricks.  If you try to play like you would against a person you lose quickly. Zangief it was usually just jumping medium kicks.  Jump straight up and hit him with MK or FK as you are coming down.  Over and over. 

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »

I'vre really been digging Sakura.  She's Ryu-like enough that I can do her specials without a problem, but people I've played seem to have a hard time dealing with her.  I think maybe it's hard for folks to judge the reach of her kicks. 

Quote from: Captain Caveman on February 24, 2009, 02:36:40 PM

I'm a scrub and would enjoy the tussling!

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2009, 03:11:16 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on February 24, 2009, 02:48:14 PM

I'vre really been digging Sakura.  She's Ryu-like enough that I can do her specials without a problem, but people I've played seem to have a hard time dealing with her.  I think maybe it's hard for folks to judge the reach of her kicks. 

a great feature of Sakura is that her super and ultra both start off hitting low and most people don't instinctively block low yet.

edit:  oh, and I'm up for playing any of you guys. slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »

This guy's avatar is priceless.  Here's how most scrubs see the character select screen...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 24, 2009, 08:28:59 AM

Yeah, I did a run through of medium with only rounds set as one and I was like WTF!  Then I went back into the arcade menu and noticed that I had to keep things at default for my score to post  icon_razz

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2009, 04:58:44 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 24, 2009, 03:11:16 PM

a great feature of Sakura is that her super and ultra both start off hitting low and most people don't instinctively block low yet.

Sakura player here and yeah, that is a nice plus.  And I was able to connect on most of my ultra combos against people last night (when I say "people" I mean Ken's).

The one bad part of her game is her "dragon punch" - the timing is just a little off to be as effective as other moves like it.  She does a quick sprint and then goes up, so I usually fly *under* people when I try to punish them for jumping in.

TheMissingLink on PSN
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 24, 2009, 04:58:44 PM

The one bad part of her game is her "dragon punch" - the timing is just a little off to be as effective as other moves like it.  She does a quick sprint and then goes up, so I usually fly *under* people when I try to punish them for jumping in.

I've been working on my Sakura game, too.  If they're jumping in right on top of you you pretty much have to use normal attacks for anti-air, though sometimes you can get away with a light shoryuken since it doesn't move forward as far.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2009, 05:59:38 PM »

Sakura player here and yeah, that is a nice plus.  And I was able to connect on most of my ultra combos against people last night (when I say "people" I mean Ken's).

Yeah I like Sakura as well.  Only problem is I need to remap my controls a bit because I really have a hard time using L1 for all 3 kicks.  Other than that, she's great (not as great as Ken, though).

gellar
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2009, 06:07:26 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 24, 2009, 05:59:38 PM

Yeah I like Sakura as well.  Only problem is I need to remap my controls a bit because I really have a hard time using L1 for all 3 kicks.  Other than that, she's great (not as great as Ken, though).

gellar

This wouldn't be an issue if you used a stick on the 360  ninja
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2009, 06:08:06 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 24, 2009, 06:07:26 PM

Quote from: gellar on February 24, 2009, 05:59:38 PM

gellar

This wouldn't be an issue if you used a stick on the 360  ninja

Then I'd have a much larger issue of a retarded looking stick in my otherwise pristine living room.

gellar
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2009, 06:15:30 PM »

Some of my best SF II strategies have been neutered in SF 4 and I'm still trying to adjust. I used to sometimes be willing to take a small hit in order to get close enough to throw my opponent, or I could throw immediately after being knocked down if my opponent stood close enough. Throwing doesn't seem to work in either of these situations in SF 4 and attempting it only results in me getting seriously beat down. Throws in general seem to do less damage than in previous versions, which is bad for me since I've always like to toss my opponent around.

I'm also starting to notice that some character-specific moves have seen tweaks that have hindered my typical strategy. Blanka's electricity attack, for example, now persists a second or so after you stop the button presses. I used to quickly abandon this attack if it appeared my opponent was in range for a low kick or some other counter, but now this is almost impossible to avoid. Blanka's vertical ball attack also has a new more horizontal angle on it so I've been missing a lot when trying to use it as an anti-air technique.

I must adjust my game!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »

Yeah, I have to adjust too. The 'invincible' Dragon Punch is anything but (at least when you first fire off the move), and there's been a ton of tweaks to the game since I last played anything SF related (Alpha 3 was my last big playing time of it).

Unlike everybody else though, I'm seeing a ton of people picking different characters every round. I'm also playing the unranked mode, but I always change up my fighters every round (and my opponents tend to do so too). Maybe it's just the more casual mood in that mode that's causing it, I dunno.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2009, 09:16:28 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on February 24, 2009, 06:15:30 PM

Some of my best SF II strategies have been neutered in SF 4 and I'm still trying to adjust. I used to sometimes be willing to take a small hit in order to get close enough to throw my opponent, or I could throw immediately after being knocked down if my opponent stood close enough. Throwing doesn't seem to work in either of these situations in SF 4 and attempting it only results in me getting seriously beat down. Throws in general seem to do less damage than in previous versions, which is bad for me since I've always like to toss my opponent around.

I'm glad... freakin' throw monkeys!
EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2009, 09:43:55 PM »

I've never been a fan of cheap tick throws. 

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2009, 10:50:13 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 24, 2009, 06:08:06 PM

Then I'd have a much larger issue of a retarded looking stick in my otherwise pristine living room.

gellar

Do you not have storage in your pristine living room?  Coming into this thread kills me because I refuse to buy this game until Best Buy sends me my TE stick.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 24, 2009, 10:50:13 PM

Quote from: gellar on February 24, 2009, 06:08:06 PM

gellar

Do you not have storage in your pristine living room?  Coming into this thread kills me because I refuse to buy this game until Best Buy sends me my TE stick.

I don't actually... just some shelves and one drawer where controllers and such go into.  I don't think this would fit in said drawer.

gellar
Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2009, 02:43:55 AM »

It is true that an absolutely terrible noob can at least put together a few wins. I've gone on a bit of a run with Zangief and even had a point where I won 5 in a row which I never thought would happen. I have my overall win percentage up to about 25%, and probably half those losses are messing around with other characters(and no wins).

Sure I still don't know what I'm doing 3/4ths of the time, but that other 1/4 I think I'm picking up a little strategy and actually using some blocks and waiting for mistakes. I'm still over-using the lariat which is getting me caught a lot and I still get toasted by way more fireballs and shoryukens than I should. Ken/Ryu just seem to waste me every time. I don't know if it's just people are so familiar playing them they know the moves, but I get embarrassed quite a bit versus them, even when I can tell the guy isn't overly great.

In good news though, I'm seeing a lot more variety in opponents. Sure there's still more Ken then anything, but tonight I played a bunch of different characters, and realized how painful it is to have your first time seeing a character fight be against them online. smile

I had my first double KO also in a pretty epic Blanka match. Luckily I won the 2nd round.

So having never been much into fighting games, I'm very happy I decided to pick this up, and as someone who generally avoids multiplayer with randoms I'm even happier I decided to bite the bullet and try it. This is the most fun I've had gaming in a long time.

Now I can't wait for the PC version to hit so I can play more. TV time is hard to get over here. smile
EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2009, 03:39:01 AM »

For anyone new to the game (or having trouble) I would get the prima strategy guide. It helps to be able to look at it offline and as a reference while playing in matches.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2009, 03:54:21 AM »

I think I need to pick this up. 

If I remember correctly, I always liked Dhalsim, Ken, and Fei-Long.  But I think I sucked with everyone but Ken.  Figures...    icon_neutral

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2009, 04:01:57 AM »

I damn near through the controller across the room after fighting Bison tonight.  it's time to send it back before I need to buy a new controller.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2009, 04:29:06 AM »

Bwaa ha ha!  FINALLY got a ranked online win.  Phew!

Beat the scrubbiest Ken player everrrrr.  And he had like, 800bp!  Insane.

KEEP ROLLIN', SAGET.  KEEP ROLLIN'.

Any idea if they're going to be releasing a mode like in HD Remix?  Where you got people in a lobby watching the fights and waiting their turn?

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2009, 05:22:45 AM »

Alright, won about half my fights tonight...but I feel like it was only because I was Saget and had a higher probability of winning even though I was a worse player LOL

The netcode is probably the best for any fighting game I've played online!  Kudos, Capcom.

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2009, 06:04:21 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 25, 2009, 05:22:45 AM

Alright, won about half my fights tonight...but I feel like it was only because I was Saget and had a higher probability of winning even though I was a worse player LOL

The netcode is probably the best for any fighting game I've played online!  Kudos, Capcom.

So true about the netcode, seems lag free.  I love playing as Sagat, he has good range and his attacks are powerful.  He does make for a big target though.  Oh well, like I know what the fuck I'm talking about anyway.  I'm pretty bad at the game but I seem to be hovering right around 50% on Live.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2009, 06:23:43 AM »

Quote from: Gertbeef on February 25, 2009, 02:43:55 AM

Now I can't wait for the PC version to hit so I can play more. TV time is hard to get over here. smile

don't forget you can always use the vga adapter to play your xbox on a monitor.  It might be smaller but it's still HD and you don't have to fight with the TV users.  I was quite happy playing on my 19" monitor before I got the 42".
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »

I tried playing ranked matches online last night, but I could never connect to anyone. I either got the message that the match was already filled (understandable) or that I was unable to connect. I tried it 15 - 20 times and it never worked. I also couldn't see anyone's lag meter (it always showed zero bars). I've been able to play online against friends without any problems. Any idea why this might be happening?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2009, 01:44:17 PM »

Someone's beating you to the room.  Pick the lowest player in the list that shows a decent connection; that usually gets me in on the first try.  I think the first listed players are the first open ones the search engine found for you, which also means they've had more time to find an opponent by the time the player list gets shown to you.

You could also try hosting your own ranked room, but when I do it nobody ever joins.  crybaby

Oh wait, you couldn't see a lag meter?  I'm guessing you were doing a quick match.  Don't do quick matches.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »

quick matches never show lag meters

your best bet is to enable requests in arcade mode and just play arcade and every time you either continue or move to a new opponent you will usually get a ranked match in.  set it to 1 round matches for quickest access to opponents.  not ideal, but seems the way the game is designed.  this is also the only way I saw that you can set a preference to who you get matched with.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »

I made the mistake of manually connecting to other players initially. As a result, it often took me about 5 tries to find an actual, working game. What I recommend is to not go around searching for games in the first place. Just start an arcade game and allow other players to challenge you while you play. You'll quickly find yourself assaulted with challenges, and almost all of these will work perfectly.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2009, 03:07:12 PM »

I agree on the methods listed in finding matches. Additionally, once your opponent leaves (or you boot him cause he's kicking your ass), just sit in the room for a short while (don't go back to Arcade mode) and odds are pretty good somebody else will jump right in.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: