http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 06:32:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Street Fighter IV Impressions  (Read 22490 times)
Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »

So I tried online for the first time this morning. I expected it to be incredibly painful since I'm a fighting game noob and pretty terrible even for a noob. It was, but it was still a blast. I decided I'd just stick to Fei Long starting out and try to get a grip on him, as he's got a pretty easy ultra for me to pull off, I like his style, and I didn't want to be another Ken/Akuma clogging up online. smile

I did horrible, ended up 0-7, although some of those were messed up because it was set to 1 round and 30 seconds still, but either way it was winless. I did at least manage to come close several times, and it boiled down to who got off the last hit in the 3rd round so I'm pretty happy with that. I think in those 7 matches I faced 5 Akumas and 2 Ken's. I had better luck against Akuma.

It's still fast for me to really know what I'm doing or form any coherent strategy. My main strategy is using that Rekkaken move(once again because it's one I can consistently pull off), and using that fire kick deal as an anti-air when they jump in and that's been pretty successful. I'm mostly just trying to build up meter or get to where I can pull off the Ultra and hope for the best. Not working too well yet.

Can we have a contest to see who racks up the most lopsided loss to win ratio? I think I'd be a frontrunner. Still really fun. I'm not sure I'll ever be any good at it or have the reflexes and coordination to put together much of a show but I'm not regretting it.

Really like the way that Arcade jump-in works which I know has been mentioned a lot. When it's not matching up so quick I don't even get started I get a few seconds to practice a move or try something out before I get thrown back in. I never made it through a whole round without a challenger coming in though.

Frustrating but fun.
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »

The beauty of the difficulty against another players (though not against the AI) is that you know that when you lose, it's because you're not as good as your opponent, and when you win, you were better than him. It doesn't come down to blind luck like in so many other games.

That kind of challenge leaves me incredibly satisfied, even if I don't win a lot. I think my win ratio is slightly below 20% right now, but the wins I've had were the kind where I shouted out loud in joy. I've had some awesome battles that went back and forth and back and forth, in the end coming down to a single attack from one player and the other one's ability to deflect it and counter.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2009, 04:48:58 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on February 21, 2009, 04:34:15 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 21, 2009, 04:00:21 PM

I see they included all the other cheese moves for the other fighters.  I used Vega's slide kick (where you knock them down, and then immediately execute another one just as they're getting up so they cannot move or block- it's pretty much the same move that killed my desire to play the coin-op back in the day) to cheese Seth to death with a perfect victory.

Not sure what you're talking about here, cause when you play human players there's certainly a counter for that.  If you're talking about cheesing the AI.... well, that's just the AI.

in the SF2 arcade this was against other players.  you time the move to hit just as the players character is getting up.  maybe they changed it for this version as I haven't played vs others on XBL yet.  out of curiosity, how do you counter stuff when you're in the getting up animation?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2009, 05:17:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 21, 2009, 04:48:58 PM

Quote from: KePoW on February 21, 2009, 04:34:15 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 21, 2009, 04:00:21 PM

I see they included all the other cheese moves for the other fighters.  I used Vega's slide kick (where you knock them down, and then immediately execute another one just as they're getting up so they cannot move or block- it's pretty much the same move that killed my desire to play the coin-op back in the day) to cheese Seth to death with a perfect victory.

Not sure what you're talking about here, cause when you play human players there's certainly a counter for that.  If you're talking about cheesing the AI.... well, that's just the AI.

in the SF2 arcade this was against other players.  you time the move to hit just as the players character is getting up.  maybe they changed it for this version as I haven't played vs others on XBL yet.  out of curiosity, how do you counter stuff when you're in the getting up animation?

From what I can tell, you're invincible while getting up. Also, you can get up faster by either pressing down twice or hitting a punch and kick button at the same time as you hit the ground. You should be able to block right away after standing up, and even if the opponent uses an unblockable attack, you should be able to absorb it and counter with an attack of your own through using focus attacks.

SF4 offers you many ways of dealing with most situations. You just have to get used to it. Try your "unblockable" trick online and see how long you last. slywink
Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2009, 05:29:19 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 21, 2009, 04:46:59 PM

The beauty of the difficulty against another players (though not against the AI) is that you know that when you lose, it's because you're not as good as your opponent, and when you win, you were better than him. It doesn't come down to blind luck like in so many other games.

That kind of challenge leaves me incredibly satisfied, even if I don't win a lot. I think my win ratio is slightly below 20% right now, but the wins I've had were the kind where I shouted out loud in joy. I've had some awesome battles that went back and forth and back and forth, in the end coming down to a single attack from one player and the other one's ability to deflect it and counter.

Yeah completely agree. I'm not feeling down about losing so many because I don't feel like I'm being cheated. I can pinpoint why I'm losing and what moves, but I just don't have the reflexes or knowledge to do anything with that yet.

I took a break from Fei Long to try out Zangief and did finally pick up my first win(first time with him also!).  I had a lot better luck, and felt like I actually had some control in the match. Those crouching HK's that Zangief use have great range and was able to punish with that and get a few throws in when they got close. I'm also a huge fan of that glowing backfist deal of his.

Think I'll take a break now and savior that win. smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2009, 07:38:48 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 21, 2009, 05:17:30 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 21, 2009, 04:48:58 PM

out of curiosity, how do you counter stuff when you're in the getting up animation?

From what I can tell, you're invincible while getting up. Also, you can get up faster by either pressing down twice or hitting a punch and kick button at the same time as you hit the ground.

Just need to hit down once for a quick rise when you hit the ground.  Doesn't work after throws or certain other moves, though.  And if you use attack buttons instead, I think it might work for any two attack buttons, not specifically a punch and a kick.  Not sure though, I always forget that quick rise is in the game.

As for countering stuff as you're getting up, my favorite way is to throw the enemy the split second I stand up.  This doesn't work at all in SFIV. frown

So my second favorite way is to do a special move right as I stand up.  This is called a reversal, and is way way easier to do in SFIV than it was in previous SF games.  In the older games you literally had to make sure an attack button was hit the exact 1/60 of a second you stand up, but in SFIV you're given a generous window.  Just aim to have your special move input finish in the middle of the standing up animation and you'll probably pull it off.

Which special move to use depends on the character.  Ryu, Ken, et al. can do a shoryuken.  Fei Long can do his flaming leg thing.  Chun Li has her spinning bird kick.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »

I got a chance to play this at a friend's house last night and I have to say it is the most fun I've had playing a game in quite some time.  The only thing I really wish it had was a 4 player tag mode.  Other than that, this is the best fighting game I've played in ages.

VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2009, 03:30:49 AM »

I'm halfway through unlocking all of the characters and I've noticed that the game does seem to change difficulty on you in some cases.  For example, for each of these characters I played the Arcade Mode with 1 round on EASIEST.  For the final fight against Seth, this is how long it took me to win:

- With Ryu (my main who I am by far the best at) - An hour and a half! (50 fights?)
- With Chun Li - Two fights (3 minutes?)
- With Blanka - One fight
- With E-Honda - 5 fights (10 minutes?)
- With Dhalism - Almost two hours! (70 fights?)

Finally, picking up on this, I've started to give up and retry from scratch if I am unable to defeat Seth after the first few rounds.  Using Vega, I was on my 9th or so fight when I was obliterated.  I restarted an hour later from the beginning, and killed Seth after the 4th try.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2009, 04:33:00 AM »

Man, I've had zero problems with Seth on easiest by just doing the method:

1) Jump in with HK

2) Sweep with HK

3) Repeat

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2009, 06:04:13 AM »

On the characters that can't do the jump HK, sweep HK trick effectively, there's usually some other way to cheap Seth on easiest.  With Dhalsim, for example, I'm pretty sure I beat Seth by repeatedly sweep kicking every time he tried to stand up.

You're sure you didn't have it on Very Easy or Easy, VegasD?  Are you using heavy kick and not light or medium when you try the jump kick sweep kick loop?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2009, 07:30:23 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 22, 2009, 06:04:13 AM

On the characters that can't do the jump HK, sweep HK trick effectively, there's usually some other way to cheap Seth on easiest.  With Dhalsim, for example, I'm pretty sure I beat Seth by repeatedly sweep kicking every time he tried to stand up.

You're sure you didn't have it on Very Easy or Easy, VegasD?  Are you using heavy kick and not light or medium when you try the jump kick sweep kick loop?

Yeah.  I mean, I just do the slide low HK for Bison and it works on him...

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »

I found an interesting and surprising unlockable in the PS3 version today. On my 10th ranked win, I got a new costume for Home. Admittedly, it's Dan's shirt, so it's not something I'd want to wear, and it's not like I use Home anyway, but it's an interesting concept for collectors.

Also, the learning curve in this game is steep but relatively quick. I've barely played any SF-games before this one, but after playing it for two days I can already kick the AI's ass on Hardest difficulty. I don't think it'll be that easy with Seth though... And fighting against humans is really hard.

Indeed, fighting against humans is not only hard, but it's annoying as well. Almost all the people I fight choose Ryu, Ken or Akuma. Ken feels almost broken, but I'm sure there's some trick to fighting him. I've fought everything from newbies to moderately experienced opponents who use Ken, and they all fight in the exact same way that leaves me absolutely no openings to do damage upon him. He moves towards me from the first second and never pulls back, and he's able to pull off one special move after another with no visible delay. The fire punch is particularly aggressive and hard to deal with when the opponent chains them.

I've started expanding into Gouken after using Fei Long for a while. Both are fun characters, so I think I'll stick with them. Gouken's Ultra is really really bad-ass. It requires you to stand toe-to-toe with the opponent, but you take away half his health in one attack with it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:26:44 PM by TiLT » Logged
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »

Ok, couple of questions for a 'fighter' newb.  I have never played any fighter game. 

1.  Do you have to have one of those special gamepads to play this remotely how it was intended?
2.  I have no, none, zero interest in playing against humans.  Is the game worth it if you don't do that?  What I don't want is to jump in, get good to where I can beat the AI handsdown, and then naturally after that be bored to tears to play it cuz there is little to no challenge.  If it would takes me dozens of hours to get to that point then fine, but if after 3 hours I am kicking the ass of every AI player, forgettaboutit.
3.  Are there even difficulty settings or is the difficulty based on WHO you fight?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2009, 03:59:49 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on February 22, 2009, 03:38:28 PM

Ok, couple of questions for a 'fighter' newb.  I have never played any fighter game. 

1.  Do you have to have one of those special gamepads to play this remotely how it was intended?
2.  I have no, none, zero interest in playing against humans.  Is the game worth it if you don't do that?  What I don't want is to jump in, get good to where I can beat the AI handsdown, and then naturally after that be bored to tears to play it cuz there is little to no challenge.  If it would takes me dozens of hours to get to that point then fine, but if after 3 hours I am kicking the ass of every AI player, forgettaboutit.
3.  Are there even difficulty settings or is the difficulty based on WHO you fight?

1. It adds a lot but it's not necessary.  You can get by with the analog stick.
2. Why don't you want to play humans?  Anyway, if your primary concern about playing the AI is that it will be too easy, then I think you'll find it plenty challenging.  There are eight difficulty levels in regular arcade mode, and there are very tough time attack and survival challenge modes.
3. Difficulty is mostly based on which of the the 8 AI difficulty levels you choose, but I think I heard some people think the end-boss, Seth, might be a bit tougher than the rest. slywink
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2009, 04:44:17 PM »

Excellent.  Thanks.  Might grab this then and see what all this fighting game stuff is all about since this is being touted as he primo fighting game of all time.  As for why I don't like to fight online, I flat out am just not a big fan of playing games with strangers.  Period.  I have one friend I play with on coop from time to time and outside of him, because I have known him for 20 years, that is it. 

Well, enough about me.  Back to kicking some funky animated pixels.   And thanks again for the answers.  I have to say I really like the look of the game.  Looks old school with a flare of the new.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:49:48 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2009, 05:03:26 PM »

I'm also the kind of person who doesn't like to play with strangers online, but for SF4, the commitment is so small that it's quite ok. You don't have to communicate with your opponent, you don't have to seek him out (the game matches you while you play single-player, if you want it to), and even if you don't like him, you're only stuck with him for a minute or two until the match is over and you both go back to your respective games.

The whole point of SF4 is really to play it online or with friends on one console. While there's plenty to do for a solo player in this game, it should be considered training for the multiplayer portion. I'm not sure I'd recommend the game if you're absolutely unwilling to play online.

In other news, I hate Akuma's Super. It's really unfair at times. If your opponent pulls it off while you're in the middle of a special, you can say goodbye to 60% of your health.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2009, 06:12:25 PM »

I think Akuma's super will get toned down in a patch eventually it really is nasty if you get hit with it.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »

Heads up for those of you who may be relying on the strategy guide for how to unlock all of the characters.  The guide is completely wrong about the last three:  Akuma, Gouken & Seth.

It was a bit tough to find out how to actually unlock these guys - but after some digging I found the following info.

Spoiler for Hiden:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1631928

After seeing post after post of the same question and same problem, I've decided to make a post as the title says. "The definitive way to unlock Akuma, Gouken & Seth."

First and foremost I recommend setting the difficulty to easiest, and setting the rounds to 1. As for the time setting, that is purely discretionary, however, I recommend setting it to 99, so as to have plenty of time to weaken your opponent but still be able to fill your ultra meter.

The next step, you must unlock 6 other hidden characters. In order to unlock these characters you must play through arcade mode using specific characters

The characters are as follows:

Ryu unlocks Sakura
M. Bison unlocks Rose
C. Viper unlocks Cammy
Chun Li unlocks Gen
Sakura unlocks Dan
Abel unlocks Fei Long

Still with me? I sure hope so. After you unlock those 6 hidden characters, the fun starts, so pay close attention.

Unlocking Akuma
During this playthrough of arcade mode you must select a character that you have already finished arcade mode with. I recommend Ryu, as he has a super easy ultra combo. During arcade mode, obtain 2 perfect victories, as well as 2 ultra combo finishes. Also, you must not lose a round! (VERY IMPORTANT!) Once you defeat Seth, A slash will appear through the screen, and you will be on your way to fighting Akuma. All you have to do now is defeat him and he is yours.

(update)TIP: Obtain 2 perfect victories during the first two battles of arcade mode, as they are the easiest.

Unlocking Gouken
Before you do this, you must complete arcade mode with Akuma. After completing arcade mode with Akuma, again, complete arcade mode with a character that you have already used. Again, I suggest Ryu (you should already know why.) In this playthrough you must obtain 2 perfect victories, as well as 3 ultra combo finishes. Much as the process for unlocking Akuma, you must not lose a round! (VERY IMPORTANT!) After defeating Seth, a slash will appear through the screen. You guessed it...here comes Gouken. Defeat him and he is yours.

(update)TIP: Obtain 2 perfect victories during the first two battles of arcade mode, as they are the easiest.

Unlocking Seth
Now comes the last character left to be unlocked. Quite possibly the biggest burden of the game...Seth. By now you should have completed arcade mode with a good chunk of the characters in the game. So, that being said, all you have to do is beat arcade mode with those whom you have not beat it with yet, and Seth is yours.

(update)NOTE: Finishing arcade mode with all 24 characters is required to unlock Seth.

So at 3am in the morning I had unlocked Akuma, and was ALMOST ready to unlock Gouken....when my *&#@*#@(@ stick broke.  The Mad Catz SE pos will no longer register down.

Then I began the 2 hour investigation & operation to try and fix the thing.  A faulty washer has been blamed for many problems with these sticks, and I removed mine, yet the problem remains.

Now, I'm faced with four crappy options:

1. Buy the tournament edition stick (retail $149.99) off of Ebay for $500.
2. Buy the Hori EX stick (retail $129.99) online for the nice new jacked up price of $199.99 + $25 shipping.
3. Buy Sanwa parts that can replace the faulty parts in the SE stick for $50 online, but wait for 2+ weeks of back-order hell
4. Play with the standard XBOX controller and basically give up hope of being a serious player online

I ordered the parts.

This sucks.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2009, 07:46:08 PM »

Goddamn it! If I have to fight ONE MORE KEN, I'll scream! Out of my last 7 fights, 6 were against Ken. As if their lack of creativity isn't enough, Ken just isn't fun to play against as he's pretty much a one-trick pony (Shoryuken! Shoryuken! Shoryuken!). The only fight that wasn't against Ken was against someone playing Sagat (which can be a good and a bad thing. He's one of the most powerful fighters in the game, but that seems to attract the worst players). He did pretty much nothing but Tiger Shots, and when I wised up to his scheme and holed up, crouching, in a corner, he was stumped and didn't know what to do, so he just stood there. Any time he tried to approach me, he'd get knocked off his feet by a low sweep, and he didn't seem to know any other tricks than the Tiger Shot, so that was all he could do. His fireballs went straight over my head, so they were useless as well. That was moderately fun in a "hah, you're a sucky player, so you reap what you sow!" kind of way. I wish it were that easy with Ken. Grrrrr!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2009, 08:10:07 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 22, 2009, 05:03:26 PM

The whole point of SF4 is really to play it online or with friends on one console. While there's plenty to do for a solo player in this game, it should be considered training for the multiplayer portion. I'm not sure I'd recommend the game if you're absolutely unwilling to play online.

I agree - SF4 has no 'create a character' mode, no challenge mode, nothing special at all (short of a survival mode and some absolutely absurd challenges) short of just straight up fighting. You WANT to play this game online - it works absolutely great, and you don't have to talk, much less even have your headset plugged in, to do so. Heck - without a headset plugged in, you'll never even hear them talk over the noise that the game puts out.

I say that if you'll never fire up Live multiplayer, that you should skip this (or at best rent it). Half the game is playing against other human players.

VegasD - you could try to get one of the Madcatz Fightpads. They work great, and while they may not be an arcade like stick, I prefer it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2009, 08:23:37 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on February 22, 2009, 06:12:25 PM

I think Akuma's super will get toned down in a patch eventually it really is nasty if you get hit with it.

I think Akuma's super and ultra are a lot less scary when you start uncovering how vulnerable they are.  If your ultra or super is charged when a raging demon goes off, input your super/ultra just right when Akuma starts moving and your super/ultra will hit cleanly.  If you don't have anything charged, just jump toward or away.  Most of the Akumas online are pretty predictable with the raging demon, too.  If you start seeing random jabs and kicks coming out of Akuma for no reason, chances are they're repeatedly trying to get the ultra command to work.  Sometimes when I see an Akuma's ultra gauge get charged I'll just sit back for a bit and wait for the inevitable raging demon to come out, then hit him out of it.

The hardest part is resisting the urge to try and block it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2009, 08:34:36 PM »

The problem with Akuma's Ultra is that if you try to fight while it's ready to go, you're inviting disaster. If you're occupied with ANY move when Akuma triggers it, you're toast. You need to be completely free of any actions, as well as about half the screen or more away in order to even jump away, much less trigger a Super or Ultra (my fingers itch just thinking about it). It needs to have a slight lead-in time, or it'll discourage fun fighting in Akuma's battles and encourage some very defensive play.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 22, 2009, 08:34:36 PM

The problem with Akuma's Ultra is that if you try to fight while it's ready to go, you're inviting disaster. If you're occupied with ANY move when Akuma triggers it, you're toast. You need to be completely free of any actions, as well as about half the screen or more away in order to even jump away, much less trigger a Super or Ultra (my fingers itch just thinking about it). It needs to have a slight lead-in time, or it'll discourage fun fighting in Akuma's battles and encourage some very defensive play.

All you have to do is jump over it, you don't necessarily have to jump away from it.  There are plenty of ways to avoid it as wonderpug said, I don't think it's imbalanced.

Start playing Akuma yourself and try spamming that move online, it won't be as great as you think =P.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2009, 10:19:16 PM »

I didn't do any ultras when I unlocked Akuma, just got a few perfects and didn't continue.  For Gouken I did 2 perfects and 3 ultras and unlocked him.

You have to have beaten it with Akuma to unlock Gouken, and you have to have beaten it with everyone else to unlock Akuma though.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2009, 10:24:40 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on February 22, 2009, 06:12:25 PM

I doubt they tone it down at all, though I think all ultras do a bit too much damage his is really easy to avoid when you see it coming.  If the opponent does it when you are vulnerable then of course you take damage.   EVERY ultra does damage if you use it when your opponent is vulnerable. slywink

When he does the ultra all you have to do is either jump at him (close range) or jump away and kick (far range).  You can also go off the wall if you play a character that can.  Fireballs will hit him in this version of the game unlike previous ones as well.  Wonderpug is very rarely hit by my supers or ultra on akuma even if I combo into it.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2009, 10:53:47 PM »

Videos don't really do this game justice - went over to depward's to play and it *feels* really, really solid.

And the standard 360 controller worked just fine, to be honest.

Sagat is a BEAST, I may add.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2009, 11:12:40 PM »

Sagat is definitely one of the better overall characters.
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2009, 12:15:24 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 22, 2009, 10:53:47 PM

Videos don't really do this game justice - went over to depward's to play and it *feels* really, really solid.

I agree about the feel.  Every once in a while (once every other year or so), I play a game that feels complete.  This is the first one of those in a while for me.
Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2009, 02:08:58 AM »

I've been continuing using Zangief online. I'm still incredibly noobish, but I'm able to pull off a win maybe 25%-35% of the time with him which I can live with. I have yet to win with another character, and have lost a lot. smile

Sagat however just brutalizes me. Every time I see him picked I know I'm done for. I've seen that a lot more today. Yesterday it was constant Akuma spam, which I also hate because the entire match revolves around them running and throwing air fireballs, me trying to block or lariat through them and chase them..maybe catch them and get a move in, and repeat it all again. I don't blame them obviously, but not a thrilling match. They go down so quickly though that if you do catch one it's over easily. Not so with Sagat.
I just get stuck sometime with the Shoto characters as Zangief. He's slow as molasses and I haven't quite figured out what to do. I've got to a point where some matches I will try and get in quickly do some damage and then let them run and either jump over or just block the fireballs. The turtle against turtle technique.

Would really like to get the hang of a charge character. Guile was always who I wanted to play in SF2(and Balrog looks pretty cool in this game as well), but I'm just not getting the feel for them yet. I have a hard time keeping the charge unless I'm just crouched down waiting for the person to come over, and most people have a pretty good idea what that means.

A great moment for a beginner like me was my last online match against an Akuma who blasted me the first round and ended up with a perfect. He had a good mix of catching me with fireballs that I mistimed or got impatient and jumped into, and hitting me his equivalent to a Shoryuken. It was ugly. He continued smacking me around in the 2nd round until I was down to about 1/3rd life, and I finally landed a banishing flat and caught him in a piledriver. He got up and I got a few normal strikes in and he did some more damage so I was down to a sliver and he was at about 1/3rd. He went for his ultimate and I managed to jump over it and then landed an ultimate of my own to finish it off. In the third round I beat him relatively easily with about half my life left.

That kind of comeback after getting smoked is a great morale booster. smile
depward

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2009, 03:50:06 AM »

I just don't want to be one of "those people" that play as Ken, Akuma or Ryu online... so I've been focusing my time on Balrog!  And I've won a handful of ranked and player online matchups!

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2009, 03:52:57 AM »

Quote from: depward on February 23, 2009, 03:50:06 AM

I just don't want to be one of "those people" that play as Ken, Akuma or Ryu online... so I've been focusing my time on Balrog!  And I've won a handful of ranked and player online matchups!

I am happily one of those people.  Ken FTW.

gellar
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2009, 04:15:13 AM »

Quote from: depward on February 23, 2009, 03:50:06 AM

As a "Ryu", I'm highly offended! Tongue
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2009, 05:35:17 AM »

I've been putting in some time as Rufus myself all the player matches I've played are against either Ryu Ken or Sagat. frown

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2009, 09:43:49 AM »

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=177151

interesting news regarding combo linking.
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2009, 11:44:39 AM »

Woah! I never noticed that.  This is awesome.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2009, 12:13:10 PM »

I need to play more of you guys than just pug slywink 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »

Here's a vid of a guy using Dan's Super taunt in a real match. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RTU8D84I4

(note for wonderpug... make sure you watch it with the volume up and pay attention to the beginning.  we aren't the only ones with that problem)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2009, 02:11:53 PM »

In-de  structible.

The ranking system seems to be working better and better; I'm starting to get matched up with people close to my skill level more and more, instead of unintentionally farming people who're just learning the game.  Even better, there seem to be fewer and fewer Kens and Akumas at the 800-1200 BP range.  I fought a good Sakura, a handful of Blankas, and a damn good Abel player.  Kind of scary what Abel can do when you know what you're doing.

I finished up the hard survival challenges last night and got my prize of several pages worth of animal silhouette icons.  My tag/icon combo is now "Not the Face" along with an alien looking guy who kind of looks like he's putting up his hands in submissive fear.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2009, 02:39:42 PM »

I don't think I have the patience to do the hard challenges. Briefly checked out the hard time challenges and saw that you need to fight your way through about 22 enemies to win just the first one of 20 challenges. That doesn't sound very fun to me, as I get frustrated if I have to fight through bunches of enemies more than once because I failed at one of the last battles.
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 23, 2009, 01:43:28 PM

Here's a vid of a guy using Dan's Super taunt in a real match. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RTU8D84I4

(note for wonderpug... make sure you watch it with the volume up and pay attention to the beginning.  we aren't the only ones with that problem)

Super Taunt??  How do you perform these moves?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: