http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 01:09:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Street Fighter IV Impressions  (Read 23083 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:27:54 PM »

Yes, yes, I know.  Don't have the game yet and don't have any impressions yet.  What I do have is a lot of time to kill today, so I thought I'd help folks jump into the game right off the bat at release with an information compilation.

What are the new game mechanics?
  • Focus Attacks - a new twist on a parrying system (aka Saving Attacks in JP).  Hold down medium punch and medium kick and you'll be able to absorb one enemy attack while charging your focus attack.  The longer you hold it, the more debilitating your attack (three levels of charge).  Can also be used to focus attack dash cancel (FADC), an advanced technique used to interrupt special attacks to create openings for more attacks.
  • Revenge Gauge / Ultra Gauge - Fills up as you take damage.  Half full and you can unleash your high damage ultra attack, completely full and it does even more damage
  • Super Gauge - Fills up through various game actions. Is divided into four bars which can be used up for other special actions
  • EX Moves - Your regular special moves, souped up in some way.  Uses up a bar of the super gauge.  Done by doing the special move but with two punch/kick buttons instead of just one.
  • Super Move - Like the super moves in Super Street Fighter II.  Typically performed with a doubled motion, like a double hadoken.  Burns the entire super gauge.
  • Ultra Move - Even superer than the super move.  Performed with the super move motion, but with all three punch or kick buttons.  Empties your ultra gauge.
More detailed explanations:
iplaywinner
eventhubs

Help!  I'm overwhelmed!
The great thing about SFIV is how familiar it will be to anyone who's ever played Street Fighter II, while having new mechanics you can ease into at your own pace.  You could completely ignore all the new move types and still do ok, though of course the more you embrace the new features the better you'll become.

There's also a training mode available for each character.  You'll find yourself in an empty holodeck faced against your human punching bag, Dan, and then be presented an increasingly difficult series of moves to pull off.  First you'll simply learn your character's special attacks, then his focus attacks, then super and ultra attacks, and finally a progression of simple to complex combo attacks.  Youtube videos of all the characters' training modes can be found on this youtube channel.

Who are the 25 characters in the game?
We have the 12 original SFII characters:
Ryu
Ken
Chun-Li
E. Honda
Blanka
Zangief
Guile
Dhalsim
Balrog
aka M. Bison (JP) aka "Boxer"
Vega aka Balrog (JP) aka "Claw"
Sagat
M. Bison
aka Vega (JP) aka "Dictator"

Plus four all-new characters that are in the arcade version:
Abel, a French mixed martial artist. He is described as an amnesiac, a "man with no past" looking to defeat surviving members of Shadaloo.
Crimson Viper, a female American gadget-wielding spy wearing sunglasses, leather gloves and a form-fitting suit.
Rufus, a fighter bearing Kung Fu moves and a rotund appearance, who seeks to fight Ken to prove himself as the best fighter in the United States.
El Fuerte (Spanish for "The Strong One"), a Mexican luchador and wannabe gourmet cook.

The home version adds these unlockable bonus characters:
Dan (beat game with Sakura)
Fei-Long (beat game with Abel)
Sakura (beat game with Ryu)
Cammy (beat game with C. Viper)
Gen    (beat game with Chun Li)
Rose (beat game with Dictator)
Akuma (unlock above 6, play well enough to make Akuma appear then beat him)
Gouken (unlock above 7, beat game once with Akuma, then play well enough to make Gouken appear and beat him)
Seth (beat game with all other characters)

Gah!  How do I just unlock everyone as quickly and painlessly as possible?
First set the game to Easiest mode (one step easier than Easy) and one round wins.  Then you have to do the first six regular unlocks.  Just beat the game with the required characters, no requirements on how well you do.  I believe all that matters is who wins the final round, so if you want you can get to the end fight with your favorite character and then switch to the unlocker.

Next up is Akuma and his brother Gouken.  These guys are trickier since there's a performance requirement.  People seem to be vouching for this method, posted at GameFAQs, spoilered to save space:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Quote from: Dillcore @ GFAQS
First, unlock the other characters BESIDES seth, as in you will NOT get seth before akuma and gouken. After that, follow my advice very specifically. As in, just to make sure you understand it, before you start this process you should only have THREE empty character slots left... If there's ANYONE besides seth, gouken, and akuma missing you WILL NOT get the chance to unlock gouken and akuma!!!!!!!!

Anyway here you go....

Difficulty: Easiest(yes, easiest, most people didn't notice it goes easier than easy)
Rounds: 1

Pick Ryu(you have to play as someone you've already beaten the game with, and you have to beat it with ryu to get sakura, plus his ultra is EASY to connect with)

First 2 fights, just Jump in Fierce Kick, Fierce sweep. Right after they fall down from the sweep, back dash. When they're starting to get back up, Jump in with the fierce kick again, sweep. Rinse and repeat. About 3 times in they should be stunned, don't go crazy and try anything funny, just stick to the plan of jump-kick, sweep.... Perfect.

Fight 3, get your opponent down until they only have 1-2 hits left on their life-bar using the jump-kick/sweep method. Now let your opponent slap you around until you have your ultra built up, only one level is necessary. Now, just unload it on him, the AI on easiest falls for it 100% of the time unless you fired it at a time where it would be impossible to connect.... Do the same for fight 4. Not sure if the 2 ultras are necessary to fight akuma, but better safe than sorry.

Rest of the fights, INCLUDING AKUMA, just stick to the original fight plan used for the first two fights. Even works on Seth.

After unlocking akuma, you must now beat it WITH akuma. Your performance doesn't matter, because Gouken is NOT going to challenge you on your akuma run thru. The jump-kick/sweep trick works here too for a quick run thru.

Now, go back to Ryu, and go right back to the fight plan I told you. This time, go for ultras on fights 3,4, and 5 just to be safe. This worked for me in no time flat, easy to do, and each run thru takes less than 5 minutes. You spend more time at the loading screen than you do fighting except when fishing for ultra enders.
And finally, to unlock Seth you need to beat the game with everyone else, no performance requirements.

But what about these alternate costumes I've heard about?
Here's a montage showing all of the alternate costumes.

You get them by paying $4 for a 5-pack.  Here's the release schedule announced:
  • 2/17 - Brawler Pack DLC Pack will include alternate costumes for: Zangeif, E.Honda, Rufus, El Fuerte, and Abel. (This is the pack that comes with the Collector's Edition)
  • 2/24 Femme Fatale Pack will include alternate costumes for: Chun-Li, Cammy, Sakura, Rose, and C.Viper.
  • 3/3/09 Shoruken Pack will include alternate costumes for: Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, and Dan.
  • 3/10/09 Shadowloo Pack will include alternate costumes for: Seth, M.Bison, Sagat, Balrog, and Vega.
  • 3/17/09 Classic Pack will include alternate costumes for: Guile, Dhalsim, Fei-Long, Blanka, and Gen.
A scan from Famitsu showed an April 30 "All-In Pack" with all the alt-costumes together at a discounted $12.50, but an American version of the pack has yet to be announced.

What about unlocking different colors, taunts, titles, and more, oh my!
Lots of things are unlocked in single player challenge mode.  Time attack makes you fight against the clock; survival mode pits you against successive enemies without recharging your health between rounds.

If you clear a challenge with one character, that unlockable will be unlocked for all other characters.  Taunts are little animations you can do in a match by pressing fierce punch and roundhouse kick together.  Titles are tags that go next to your name or something in online matches, something like "wonderpug - Cheap Throwing Bastard."  Here are the challenge mode unlockables known so far:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Time Attack Normal 1 = Color 3
Time Attack Normal 2 = Taunt 2
Time Attack Normal 3 = Title
Time Attack Normal 4 = Title
Time Attack Normal 5 = Title
Time Attack Normal 6 = Color 5
Time Attack Normal 7 = Taunt 4
Time Attack Normal 8 = Title
Time Attack Normal 9 = Title
Time Attack Normal 10 = Title
Time Attack Normal 11 = Color 7
Time Attack Normal 12 = Taunt 6
Time Attack Normal 13 = Title
Time Attack Normal 14 = Title
Time Attack Normal 15 = Title
Time Attack Normal 16 = Color 9
Time Attack Normal 17 = Taunt 8
Time Attack Normal 18 = Title
Time Attack Normal 19 = Title
Time Attack Normal 20 = Title

Time Attack Hard 1 = Title
Time Attack Hard 2 =
Time Attack Hard 3 =
Time Attack Hard 4 =
Time Attack Hard 5 =

Survival Normal 1 = Color 4
Survival Normal 2 = Taunt 3
Survival Normal 3 = Title
Survival Normal 4 = Title
Survival Normal 5 = Title
Survival Normal 6 = Color 6
Survival Normal 7 = Taunt 5
Survival Normal 8 = Title
Survival Normal 9 = Title
Survival Normal 10 = Title
Survival Normal 11 = Color 8
Survival Normal 12 = Taunt 7
Survival Normal 13 = Title
Survival Normal 14 = Title
Survival Normal 15 = Title
Survival Normal 16 = Color 10
Survival Normal 17 = Taunt 9
Survival Normal 18 = Title
Survival Normal 19 = Title
Survival Normal 20 = Title

Survival Hard 1 = Title
Survival Hard 1 =
Survival Hard 1 =
Survival Hard 1 =
Survival Hard 1 =

What are all the alternate colors?
Huge thanks to Sleazoid from Shoryuken for taking the time to compile all of these.  Don't worry, I rehosted all the images.

Color numbers arrangement:
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10

Crimson Viper
Abel
Akuma
Balrog
Bison
Blanka
Cammy
Chun Li
Dhalsim
Fei Long
El Fuerte
Gen
Zangief
Gouken
Guile
E Honda
Ken
Rose
Rufus
Ryu
Sagat
Sakura
Seth
Vega

Any DLC planned for the game?
Aside from the alt-costumes, Capcom has announced a free "Championship Mode Expansion Pack" that will be available (soon?) after release.  It will add:
  • A replay feature that will let you record matches as well as browse and view other people's recorded matches
  • "Two new points systems for skill ranking" (?)
  • "A tournament matching system, in which players are pitted against one another based on their skill level"
Hopefully a lobby mode or quarter match mode is a part of this DLC, but Capcom hasn't given much concrete information on the pack yet.

Any good online strategy guides up for more detailed info, movelists, strategy, and more?
Eventhubs Guide has a lot of great information.  All the characters' moves are up, and they're continuing to add more detailed strategy listings for each individual move.
Shoryuken's SFIV Wiki is a little sparse on the content at the moment, but expect it to become quite the resource as information gets added.
The Shoryuken Forums themselves have a wealth of information already.  If you want to learn a character in depth you'll want to read up on the character-specific subforums.

One thing I noticed that is missing from your brain-dump above is information on the fight sticks!
First a little arcade cabinet manufacturer 101:
  • HAPP - they made the American arcade parts we grew up with.
  • Sanwa - they're the biggest manufacturer for Japanese arcade parts.  Arcade SFIV cabinets use Sanwa
  • Seimitsu - second biggest in Japan, just as good as Sanwa with a slightly different feel
As for stick options:
  • Hori EX2 (aka Soul Calibur stick) - Been around for a bit and is a good solid stick.  At $50-60 new it's also the most affordable stick, but unfortunately it's been getting harder and harder to find over the last 6 weeks.  All Hori parts, but can be modded to put in arcade quality components.
  • Hori Real Arcade Pro (aka HRAP) - Been around for a bit and is just about in the same league as the new Tournament Edition stick.  Sanwa stick, Hori Buttons.  Very moddable.  Around $130+
  • Madcatz Street Fighter IV Fightstick - This is the new $70/80 "base model" stick  Ten bucks more on 360 because of Microsoft license fees.  Has eight buttons so you can choose either the staggered JP layout or the American straight grid we grew up on.  Has a turbo feature.  All Madcatz parts, but easily moddable. 
  • Madcatz Fightstick Tournament Edition - This is the fancy pants $150 uberstick.  The huge base and high weight helps make sure it stays where you put it.  Sanwa stick, Sanwa buttons--exact same parts that are in the SFIV arcade cabinets.  Has turbo, eight buttons, extremely easy to mod.  Sold out everywhere as of 2/17 due to a stupidly limited first production run, but they've since started producing more and there should be another wave of availability in the near future.
  • Custom Stick - $150 is also about the starting price for custom-made sticks from numerous online vendors.  You generally get to choose the cabinet you want, the button layout, and the kind of parts you want put in.
  • Madcatz FightPad - A controller, not a stick.  Made to imitate the much loved 6-button Sega Saturn controller.  Has a d-pad that's actually decent, 6 buttons on the face, shoulder buttons, and a turbo feature.  $40.
Reviews
Eurogamer: 10/10
Gametrailers: 9.2 HD Review, SD Review
IGN: 9.3
IGN Video Review
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:50:48 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 04:43:06 PM »

thumbsup

Awesome post. Very, very helpful.

Did DeeJay and T-Hawk not make the cut?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:53:41 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on February 16, 2009, 04:43:06 PM

thumbsup

Awesome post. Very, very helpful.

Did DeeJay and T-Hawk not make the cut?

Nope.  Just the 25 listed above.  I guess Capcom held a poll on their forums asking people who of Dan, Dee Jay, T. Hawk, Hugo, Sakura, Fei Long, Ibuki and Cammy they wanted brought into the game, and Dee Jay and T. Hawk didn't make the cut.  The articles I've read just say Cammy was put into the game because of the poll, so I don't know if Dan, Sakura, and Fei Long were also chosen through the poll or some other way.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »

I'm happy that Fei-Long got included (he's probably going to be my main fighter), but disappointed that T-Hawk isn't in. Hopefully they'll add more characters through downloadable content over time.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:55:54 PM »

Lots of good info especially for a noob like me thanks Wonderpug.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 12:33:24 AM »

Wow! Awesome post! Thanks!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 12:52:56 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 16, 2009, 10:34:51 PM

I'm happy that Fei-Long got included (he's probably going to be my main fighter), but disappointed that T-Hawk isn't in. Hopefully they'll add more characters through downloadable content over time.

extremely unlikely any characters will ever be added.  The lead producer had mentioned that he never wanted anything game changing as DLC because everyone should always have access to all the characters.  He pretty much used the Darth vader/Yoda SCIV thing as an example.
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 03:38:58 AM »

I'm extremely excited for this.

One thing I noticed that is missing from your brain-dump above is information on the fight sticks.

I picked up the $69.99 360 stick after reading that the Tourney stick was "too big to sit on your lap".  Turns out that was false, and now I'm kicking myself a bit for not getting it (even though the one I have is bad ass, it's just less bad ass than the tourney stick).  Retail is $149 or so, they are sold out everywhere, and are going for $300 on ebay.  Argggh.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 05:19:12 AM »

You still might be able to get a TE stick if you have some game crazy's by you I called several today that will be getting some in first come first serve.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 05:22:15 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on February 17, 2009, 05:19:12 AM

You still might be able to get a TE stick if you have some game crazy's by you I called several today that will be getting some in first come first serve.

Getting some in when?  Tomorrow?
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 05:38:05 AM »

Yea they told me after 2pm. I'm gonna call all of them in my area to try to track down a TE stick.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »

Wow, Wonderpug.  That is the new gold standard for pre-impressions posts.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »

Quote from: Bob on February 17, 2009, 01:56:11 PM

Now I just hope we get some impressions soon!  From what I've heard around the online water coolers, sounds like some GameStops grabbed some from the airport last night and will be selling them at 10am today, other GameStops may get their shipment in the early afternoon today.

If you have a GameCrazy near you, they also may have some to sell today.

Best Buy is supposedly receiving their shipment today but are getting instructions not to sell until tomorrow.

Quote from: VegasD on February 17, 2009, 03:38:58 AM

One thing I noticed that is missing from your brain-dump above is information on the fight sticks.

Good call.  Added a blurb on sticks.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 03:12:25 PM »

Yeah... I'm used to console titles getting the pre-ship and hold in stock until the street-date treatment.  What's up with Capcom's distribution?

I haven't played the run around town trying to get it on "ship" day in a long time.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 03:17:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 17, 2009, 02:15:51 PM

Quote from: Bob on February 17, 2009, 01:56:11 PM

Now I just hope we get some impressions soon!  From what I've heard around the online water coolers, sounds like some GameStops grabbed some from the airport last night and will be selling them at 10am today, other GameStops may get their shipment in the early afternoon today.

I'll be calling my Gamestop later today then - they're usually pretty good about grabbing airport shipments and such.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 03:34:10 PM »

Gametrailer's review covers all the bases pretty well.  It's also the first time I've seen anyone show what the title and icon customization screens look like.  I think any "gotta catch 'em all" personality types are going to be working at collecting them for a long time.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »

My GameStop has them in, enough even for non-preorders.

I'm off!

(insert wonderpug sprinting to the store and back to work montage)

Looked like they had about 20-25 copies for the 360, 15-20 for the PS3.  The guy said that was everything they had, for preorders and unreserved alike.  Slightly contrary to the guy from the same store who just a few days ago told me they had over 300 preorders logged so I better preorder preorder now now!   disgust
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:10:00 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 17, 2009, 03:40:25 PM

Looked like they had about 20-25 copies for the 360, 15-20 for the PS3.  The guy said that was everything they had, for preorders and unreserved alike.  Slightly contrary to the guy from the same store who just a few days ago told me they had over 300 preorders logged so I better preorder preorder now now!   disgust

About 10-20% over the preorder numbers sounds about right for a big release from Gamestop. That said, I still preordered cause I like my local store. biggrin

And I just called - my local store will be picking up the game from the airport shortly, and will be selling it today too. Oh, and I have off from work tomorrow too. Whohoo!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 17, 2009, 03:40:25 PM

My GameStop has them in, enough even for non-preorders.

I'm off!

(insert wonderpug sprinting to the store and back to work montage)

Looked like they had about 20-25 copies for the 360, 15-20 for the PS3.  The guy said that was everything they had, for preorders and unreserved alike.  Slightly contrary to the guy from the same store who just a few days ago told me they had over 300 preorders logged so I better preorder preorder now now!   disgust

Well I see that Hark is already online playing it, so you are officially behind. You lose! (although he has yet to win a ranked match, maybe hasn't played one - isn't it scary what you can find out just by looking at someone's xbox live profile?)

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »

Just called my two local Gamestops and both said tomorrow. thumbsdown
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »

Just picked it up at a Gamestop over lunch.  Impressions so far: It comes in a standard Xbox 360 DVD case.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 06:34:01 PM »

Yep - Grabbed my PS3 version from Gamestop at lunch.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 06:34:32 PM »

Quote from: Bob on February 17, 2009, 06:30:53 PM

Just picked it up at a Gamestop over lunch.  Impressions so far: It comes in a standard Xbox 360 DVD case.

My impressions go one step further: there's a very handsome application for a Capcom credit card inside the case.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 06:37:22 PM »

Still haven't received a call from gamestop about my preorder. It looks like I may have to wait until tomorrow. frown
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 07:15:42 PM »

Any sightings in Canada yet?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 08:06:16 PM »

Quote from: skystride on February 17, 2009, 07:15:42 PM

What city?  I thought I read about some EBs in Toronto getting copies in today, but that cities further east might take longer to arrive since they have to add in the French manuals.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 08:25:29 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 17, 2009, 08:06:16 PM

Quote from: skystride on February 17, 2009, 07:15:42 PM

What city?  I thought I read about some EBs in Toronto getting copies in today, but that cities further east might take longer to arrive since they have to add in the French manuals.

I'm in Toronto, I guess I'll start calling EBs after work.  We usually get french manuals in Toronto too however.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on February 17, 2009, 06:37:22 PM

Still haven't received a call from gamestop about my preorder. It looks like I may have to wait until tomorrow. frown

When in doubt, call. However, crack-dealing Ashley called me about when they should've gotten the game into their stores, saying to come get it this afternoon.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »

Uh oh, Hark's already unlocked all the characters. You guys are toast.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »

Damn you, Hark!

tap tap tap.

Oh look, the minute hand moved.

tap tap tap.

Oh yippee, 3:58 now
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »

Just picked it up at Gameshack in downtown Toronto!  Most of the EBs don't seem to have it yet.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »

More impressions of the packaging: I like how there's artwork INSIDE the DVD cover leaf thingy. Posh.  I've never seen that done before.
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 10:30:27 PM »

Picked up the PS3 version today.  I did the install and played for several hours with no hiccups, lock ups, or any other issues.  The controller is sweet as hell, way better than trying to play with the 360.  I could barely even pull off anything while using it on Street Fighter 2 HD.  With the PS3 controller I can pull off dragon punches with no problem, and have even managed to get a few supers in.  It's pretty fun to play, even if Seth is a cheap ass bitch.  I can verify the above method works for unlocking Akuma and Gouken.  I've unlocked everyone except Seth, which is going to be a real pain because he's very hard to beat with any character I'm not familiar with.

So far I have to stick with Ryu as my character of choice.  He was the only one that took down Seth without using a continue.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:35:56 PM by Glycerine » Logged
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 11:34:09 PM »

Woohoo Gamecrazy came thru I had to drive 45 mins each way to get it  picked up a SE stick and SF IV.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 11:58:49 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on February 17, 2009, 10:30:27 PM

Picked up the PS3 version today.  I did the install and played for several hours with no hiccups, lock ups, or any other issues.  The controller is sweet as hell, way better than trying to play with the 360.  I could barely even pull off anything while using it on Street Fighter 2 HD.  With the PS3 controller I can pull off dragon punches with no problem, and have even managed to get a few supers in.  It's pretty fun to play, even if Seth is a cheap ass bitch.  I can verify the above method works for unlocking Akuma and Gouken.  I've unlocked everyone except Seth, which is going to be a real pain because he's very hard to beat with any character I'm not familiar with.

So far I have to stick with Ryu as my character of choice.  He was the only one that took down Seth without using a continue.

*sniff*  you should have gone 360 and just bought a fight pad or a stick frown
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 12:14:27 AM »

None of the SF IV controllers are wireless for the 360, correct?

Want to make sure before I crack open my PS3 version later tonight.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »

nope all wired.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 01:27:48 AM »

PS3 it is, then! Thanks!

Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 12:34:36 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis
*sniff*  you should have gone 360 and just bought a fight pad or a stick frown

360 is the version I originally planned on getting, but I just don't have the extra cash right now for another controller.  I guess it worked out good because I love my wireless dualshock, and don't really want go back to cords if I can help it.  I'd really love to throw down with you fellas online, but with the 360 controller I wouldn't put up much of a fight anyway.

I just can't praise the game enough, it's just flat out awesome.  Any fighting game fan worth his or her salt owes themselves this game.  The fighting engine has been refined so well it makes me forget all about the competition and remember why I spent hours and hours crouched over a SNES.  I gave Ryu a break and started doing the Normal Survival challenges with Akuma last night.  I spent some time in the training mode and managed to get his super and ultra down pretty good.  The depth of the fighting engine just amazes, as I already feel like I've learned quite a bit and haven't really even messed with some of the other techniques like focus attacks and technicals.

I'm not sure how things were looking on the 360, but for the PS3 I couldn't find a single person online with a green connectivity rating.  Most people had no bars at all, except for one or two with yellow or orange.  I only tried for about 15 minutes or so before I got bored and decided to head back to doing challenges.  Can someone who has played online give us an idea of how well the game plays?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:16:24 PM by Glycerine » Logged
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »

I played online last night on PS3 and it seemed to work fine (for the whole 10 seconds it took for my ass to be kicked). I was actually kinda shocked because I've never had luck online with my PS3.

Quick question though - Was there anywhere that showed your own connection speed? Probably just missing it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: