http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 08:04:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Street Fighter II online?  (Read 3169 times)
Interloper
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2006, 08:04:10 PM »

Well crap.  I've dowloaded and gotten comfortable with the controls, but cannot join a single online match.  I can get to the lobby, where I see quite a few good pings, but everytime I try to join, it says "unable to join".  GRR.  Anyone else ran into this?

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2006, 08:06:06 PM »

I remember buying the SNES version of SF2 at Wal-Mart the day it came out.  I paid for it all in $1 bills :lol:
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2006, 08:18:29 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
I remember buying the SNES version of SF2 at Wal-Mart the day it came out.  I paid for it all in $1 bills :lol:

Dancing his way through school.  Hey, stripper money spends the same!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2006, 08:37:56 PM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
Question:  I know it starts in its little box like Galaga- any way to stretch it to full screen, like you could with Frogger (but not Galaga, AFAIK)?

How's the lag?  Quarters mode work all right?  Sprites sharp, no flickering?

yes you can stretch the screen so it fits your TV,looks better as well(my tv is sony wega widescreen)....i think its only ingame though...not the beginning menus

as for the game itself
can someone shut those f*****' elephants up in india!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its bad ennough getting my ass kicked by tooms wannabe dhalsim,but i have to listen to their annoying grunts as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 08:47:39 PM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
Quote from: "Lockdown"
So I am hearing my quote above is no longer true.  Anyone know?  Cause now I read you actually DON'T watch the others play, you simply sit there looking at a blank screen?  If true, who is the genius that made THAT decision?

Wow, I'd like to know about that, because quarters mode with OO/GT is pretty much the whole reason I was planning to buy the game.

When lag issues attack, next time on Xbox Live.

Ouch, is all I have to say.

And no, metallicorphan, you can't can the elephants (at least not via the options I looked at in the demo). You got the classic SF2, you're gonna live with the classic SF2 (as in later editions they toned down the volume/frequency of those beasts).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2006, 08:52:36 PM »

I've posted this elsewhere already, but this is definitely harder than the old-school version I have for my Super NES.

I beat that at max difficulty with every character.

I can't finish the singleplayer game in this once. In fact, I have yet to get halfway through in over two hours of playtime.

It's like they sped it up and tripled the difficulty.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2006, 09:05:37 PM »

Kinda curious about the decision to have no difficulty option.  Even the arcade game had that option.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2006, 11:13:21 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Kinda curious about the decision to have no difficulty option.  Even the arcade game had that option.

The demo had a difficulty option. Or was I dreaming when I played the game at 6am?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2006, 12:24:38 AM »

There's a difficulty setting in the game options, I can confirm this.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2006, 12:29:54 AM »

You watch the other people fight in quarters mode, but not if you get there after the fight starts.  Basically for the first match after you join you see the quarter screen.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2006, 12:36:28 AM »

Yeah, demo has a difficulty, and the lowest was quite easy.

With the news on that and the quarters viewing, I may be back in.  smile

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2006, 01:18:05 AM »

Hmm... well, I guess that should ease some of my frustration with myself and the game.  I could have sworn I went through all of the options.  But, I'm suffering from some sleep problems at the moment, so I think I'll blame that.  :lol:

Pikachu, I Blame you!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2006, 01:54:09 AM »

It's under "Game Options" I believe, the stars at the top of the menu.

And damn I'm out of practice, I need to dig up my old circa 1992 strategy guide.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2006, 02:35:33 AM »

Now that I think about it, I may have seen the stars and wrote them off as decoration.   :oops:

Anyone with the full version dropped the arcade difficulty and still gotten achievements.  Not getting achievements would be the only reason I don't turn the difficulty down when I get home tonight.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2006, 03:48:30 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
I've posted this elsewhere already, but this is definitely harder than the old-school version I have for my Super NES.

I beat that at max difficulty with every character.

I can't finish the singleplayer game in this once. In fact, I have yet to get halfway through in over two hours of playtime.

It's like they sped it up and tripled the difficulty.

i feel the same way,even with the difficulty turned right down i am still pants....think it is on 3 on default out of about 8

i used to be good at this game...honest

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2006, 04:45:39 AM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Now that I think about it, I may have seen the stars and wrote them off as decoration.   :oops:

Anyone with the full version dropped the arcade difficulty and still gotten achievements.  Not getting achievements would be the only reason I don't turn the difficulty down when I get home tonight.

The only acheivement I've gotten has been on the default difficulty, but from the descriptions, I believe a few are difficulty-level independant.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2006, 05:07:36 AM »

Yeah the really frustrating part is the fact that I can SEE the points where I need to attack/defend/counter, and I know the right move to use.  Unfortunately a decade without practice has left my timing pretty horribly gone.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2006, 12:00:42 PM »

Welp, I played a bit of the demo last night just to see if I thought I would get $10 worth out of the full game.  Here are some of my early conclusions:

1) Game looks terrible, BUT... only in comparison to what is out today.  In truth, it looks just like it did back in the day, and since they never claimed any significant upgrades, I'm not sure how it can be dissed for this.

2) Difficulty.  I hear many people on many forums complaining about this.  Granted, I didn't play the full game, so I may not be qualified to comment.  But I don't think the difficulty is coming from the AI being that much better necessarily.  I think the problem may be that the controls (d-pad or thumbstick) are just tough to get used to with this game.  I remember playing on the nintendo and being able to do any move almost anytime I wanted.  I think that makes a huge difference in how difficult the game seems.  I may change my tune if I get the full version.

3)  The demo really doesn't let you see very much of the total game whatsoever, which is a bummer.  Granted, it's only 10 bucks, but it doesn't let you evaluate it's worth by giving you one mode with only 2 characters.

4) Fighting games have come a long way since SFII.  But that doesn't diminish how fun this game could be if the multiplayer interface is set up good, which of course, I can't comment on.  (Although hearing there is no "instant rematch" option is just Lame with a capital "L").  If it takes longer to set up games then to play them, I have a feeling this whole thing will get old quick.

The bottom line is, it's only 10 bucks.  But there's that whole "value for your money thing" that is holding me back at this point.  I'm guessing if I log in over the next couple days and see a bunch of guys on my friend's list playing it, I will grab it.  If not, I won't.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2006, 02:13:08 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
(Although hearing there is no "instant rematch" option is just Lame with a capital "L")

With ranked matches, there isn't.  With player matches (like, say, you invite me for a one-on-one for fun) you can rematch as much as you want.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2006, 02:21:21 PM »

Are you guys having better luck with the D-pad or the analog stick?  I've only tried the D-pad so far, but some folks in another thread were saying once you get used to it, the analog stick seems more responsive.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2006, 03:27:43 PM »

The analog stick is definitely more responsive, but it's going to take some getting used to for me.  I prefer D-pads for 2-d fighters, but the 360's D-Pad is horrendous.  I'm sorry, but pushing up and back shouldn't result in jumping forward.  Nor should trying to push down and back.  But I've had both happen multiple times.

The analog stick at least goes where I point it, I just have to work on getting used to having to crank it all over the place.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2006, 05:00:06 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Are you guys having better luck with the D-pad or the analog stick?  I've only tried the D-pad so far, but some folks in another thread were saying once you get used to it, the analog stick seems more responsive.

There's way too much movement in the analog stick IMHO to do things like fireballs and the like. It simply would take too long to do the motions.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2006, 05:02:51 PM »

That's my feeling too, Destructor, but I'm actually having more luck pulling off the quarter- and half-circle moves with the stick than the pad.  Maybe it's just the D-Pad on my controller, but I've heard from others that are having similar experiences.

Heck, I was able to actually pull off some shoryuken's with the stick, but only got one or two off with the pad over the course of several matches.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: