http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 08:23:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Street Fighter II online?  (Read 3259 times)
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2006, 05:31:56 PM »

According to Major Nelson's RSS feed it is...

Xbox Live members can now download the highly anticipated Arcade title 'Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting' from the Marketplace. This arcade title is 800 points and is available in all Xbox Live regions except Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore or Taiwan. You can review a complete list of features for this game at Xbox.com.

I'm not home to check it for myself...
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 05:36:08 PM »

oh baby oh baby oh baby oh baby

edit: no word of it on his webpage. I'm guessing it's still coming out tomorrow as originally planned.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:03:17 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
According to Major Nelson's RSS feed it is...

Xbox Live members can now download the highly anticipated Arcade title 'Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting' from the Marketplace. This arcade title is 800 points and is available in all Xbox Live regions except Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore or Taiwan. You can review a complete list of features for this game at Xbox.com.

Good - the Japanese don't have it yet. That means that us 'not perfect' US players can have a bit of time to play before we're completely dominated online. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 10:58:33 PM »

it isnt on yet,i just checked,but its officially meant to be.....3 minutes from now when its available...hmm,2 minutes now

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 11:03:41 PM »

Why would it be released today and not at 12:01 Pacific time like all the other Wednesday Arcade stuff has been since they started that?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 11:12:36 PM »

every wednesday a new title appears.....but i just checked again,and it still isnt there

although,it maybe there sooner for you americans than us english...but we did get told 12am GMT

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 11:19:31 PM »

damn,just found out that it will be up at 3am eastern.....thats right...in another 8 hrs....arghhhh

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 10:20:22 AM »

Just tried the demo, and couldn't land a punch.  Wow.  Never played the original version, so I have a lot to learn.  Not sure what I expected graphically, but it looks okay.  Nothing great, but not horrid either.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 11:07:43 AM »

Question:  I know it starts in its little box like Galaga- any way to stretch it to full screen, like you could with Frogger (but not Galaga, AFAIK)?

How's the lag?  Quarters mode work all right?  Sprites sharp, no flickering?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 11:08:15 AM »

yeah,this is a lot harder than i remember,....damn you guile!!LOL...time to get practising

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 12:31:46 PM »

Yeah I got it this morning I handled Ken easy enough with Blanka and then I proceeded to get my ass kicked by Chun Li about 6-7 times in a row.  I have alot to remember.  My reflexes aren't what they used to be and it shows

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 12:44:53 PM »

cross-posted from OO:

I just bought it and played a few games over Live before work. I lost my first two because the I couldn't figure out the controls. I was using the analog stick, and it was very difficult to block correctly and I would often jump when I didn't mean to. As soon as I moved to using the D-pad instead, things improved dramatically. Although the D-pad seems to suck for most games, it worked well for me here. I won 6 straight. Very Happy

There was NO lag, which makes me incredibly happy. A few of my matches were tense nailbiters that went down to the wire. And yep, that ol' SF magic is there. Good times.

One strange thing is that about 2 out of every 3 ranked matches I tried to join timed out. I don't know what that's about, but at least all of the games that did connect ran flawlessly.

I look forward to playing some of you guys soon!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 01:13:16 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Yeah I got it this morning I handled Ken easy enough with Blanka and then I proceeded to get my ass kicked by Chun Li about 6-7 times in a row.  I have alot to remember.  My reflexes aren't what they used to be and it shows

The question is... Were your reflexes ever what you thought they were?  Perhaps you are just a big Loser with a capital L, Blanca-boy.

Ken will return... and he will kick your green furry backside.

Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 01:15:14 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"

The question is... Were your reflexes ever what you thought they were?  Perhaps you are just a big Loser with a capital L, Blanca-boy.

Ken will return... and he will kick your green furry backside.

Tongue

Bring IT!!! Sissy Man!!!!

NiM$
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 01:21:55 PM »

Can't wait to stomp you guys with Ken or Chun Li!  Or Blanka!  biggrin  Or, heck, any of 'em!  Been chomping at the bit for this game all spring!   biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 01:34:47 PM »

Downloaded the demo and just hated it.  It's a good port and all, but Street Fighter was never my thing and I couldn't even beat the opponent in the demo.  He seemed to counter every move I made and he always kept me at a distance, making it hard to do anything.  I don't remember the AI being like that, though it might just be that way for the demo.  At any rate, any small desire I had to get the game (I am a collector-type and it would add to my old arcade game collection) is gone.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 01:44:54 PM »

Thinking I might change from Blanka to Vega.  Always wanted to learn that fighter.

Has anyone tried quarter mode yet

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 01:46:46 PM »

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!

This workday is going to be agony to wait through.  I've had the game music in my head every day this last week.  Hoo-ray for nostalgia!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 02:15:57 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"
One strange thing is that about 2 out of every 3 ranked matches I tried to join timed out. I don't know what that's about, but at least all of the games that did connect ran flawlessly.

I'm guessing you (or your opponents) have the Moderate or Strict NAT problem. Plagues Chromehounds to hell and back as it's picky as fucking hell.

As for the game, all I have to ask is this - why? Why bring this extremely old (but fun) game to us, when there are FAR better Street Fighter games out there (Street Fighter Alpha 3)? I would've dumped $20 for a Live Arcade version of SFA3. But 800 points for this aging game? No way.

And the d-pad, while better than the PSP's (been playing SFA3:Max for example), isn't the SNES d-pad. And I'm WAY too used to the perfection of that d-pad to use anything else for that game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 02:28:13 PM »

Thinking I might change from Blanka to Vega.  Always wanted to learn that fighter.

If you move to using Vega, you really won't be able to call anyone sissy-man anymore.  That guy has some serious gender issues.   :wink:

Either way though, you will have nightmares of Ken spin-kicking your sorry butt when I'm done with you my friend.   biggrin

I may have already asked this, but is there a way for like 4 or 5 of us to make our own room and just sit there and play against each other?  That would rule out getting some 14 year old who sits at home playing all day coming in and running roughshod with my ego.  

[On a side note, I am really hoping I don't get all psyched up for this game and then have my memories of it be much better than the actual game.  That would bite.]

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 02:33:02 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

Which one is he?  Is he the guy that looks like Bruce Lee?

LD

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 02:35:22 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

I'm guessing you (or your opponents) have the Moderate or Strict NAT problem. Plagues Chromehounds to hell and back as it's picky as fucking hell.

I did notice that I never had a problem connecting when I created a session, only when I selected "quick match".
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 02:38:16 PM »

This workday is going to be agony to wait through.  I've had the game music in my head every day this last week.  Hoo-ray for nostalgia!

No joke man... I've been here 8 minutes and am jonesing to go home and play.

gellar
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 02:43:04 PM »

[On a side note, I am really hoping I don't get all psyched up for this game and then have my memories of it be much better than the actual game.  That would bite.]

Well, I for one know I won't be let down due to nostalgia.  I've had a blast on the game with the SF Anniversary edition on the PS2.  biggrin

I'd also love to see Alpha 3 or one of the releases of SF3 on the 360 with multiplayer online as well!

I may not be that great of a player, but I loves me my Street Fighter!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 02:54:49 PM »

Ah... answered some of my own questions via gamespot.

The quarter match mode is Capcom's grand experiment to re-create the vibe of playing in an arcade. You'll be able to go into or create a lobby that holds five people. Two will be engaged in a fight at all times, while the other three will watch via spectator mode. During the match, the spectators will have their "quarter" up and be in the queue to take on the winner of the match. The loser will swap out into the virtual crowd and wait for their turn again. The quarter is an avatar you can set in the game's options (more on that a little later). As with the player match mode, the quarter matches are social battles that won't affect your ranking.

and

In terms of its presentation, the game's default is to run in a 4:3 box bordered on either side by a blue background, with the occasional speed line that runs through every so often. As noted earlier, you can stretch the screen to full in the game options. The art has remained faithful to the original arcade game, though there have been some tweaks to ensure nobody's eyes start bleeding. Also, the game's color palette has been brought up to 32 bit. Though the game isn't doing full-screen antialiasing, filters have been added to tone down the rough look of the sprites in HD. The audio is coming straight from the original game, as well. We didn't hear anything amiss while we played, so it sounds like everything is spot on.

LD

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 03:23:28 PM »

Which one is he?  Is he the guy that looks like Bruce Lee?

The Bruce Lee imitation is named Fei Long, if I remember correctly.

I don't really know who Sheng Long is, I just remember that line appearing when you face Ryu, like Dhalism's "I will meditate and then destroy you!"

Thinking about this game makes me really wonder about the downfall of video game arcades in America.  Have there been any good articles written about this?  Why are arcades still alive and kicking in Japan while in America the best we have for kids today is DDR and a broken lightgun Time Crisis in the corner of a movie theater lobby.

Consarnit!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 03:30:22 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
As for the game, all I have to ask is this - why? Why bring this extremely old (but fun) game to us, when there are FAR better Street Fighter games out there (Street Fighter Alpha 3)? I would've dumped $20 for a Live Arcade version of SFA3. But 800 points for this aging game? No way.

Isn't Alpha 3 already contaminated with all those goofy chargeup bars and megacombos and 87 hit megablast hadoken crap?

No thanks, I'd rather remember the days of this: (no jokes about the days of red Xs if this link breaks, please! ;) )
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »

I already unlocked the 30 online wins achievement.  :oops:

This game is addictive.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2006, 03:43:02 PM »

I already unlocked the 30 online wins achievement.  :oops:

This game is addictive.

Dude.  Do some work or learning or something.

gellar
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 04:10:03 PM »

Love Street Fighter, love it...don't think I can pull the trigger on this one.  I'm reading VERY conflicting reports on the online lag and the controller not being up to par...

Plus, the opponent can disconnect during a match and you don't get a win / they don't get a loss?  Come on now.  That's inexcusable.  Especially with the cesspool of asshats that is 90% of Xbox Live  :lol:

Would love more impressions, of course slywink

TheMissingLink on PSN
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 04:25:37 PM »

800 points for this?  HELL YEAH.

Er... sorry about that.  Spent a couple of hours playing the arcade mode, and realizing how out of practice I am nowadays.  SF2 Hyperfighting edition was the last of the pure SF2 versions.  I was having a blast, even though I had to go to sleep before beating bison <shakes fist>

I found the thumbstick to work much better overall than the d-pad for myself.  May try one of the other controllers I have, I seem to remember one of the d-pads working pretty well.  I discovered that I can get the dragon punch much easier from the right side these days, completely opposite of before.

The AI doesn't seem too much harder than I remember, I've just forgotten all of the timing and little tricks to beat them all.  

I'm looking forward to getting a lot more time in on the game.  Good times, good memories.  Not to mention unlike geometry wars, this is still playable full-version when you are not connected to the net.

Edit: As far as the online play goes, I have no real intention of playing anyone but fellow GTr's and OOr's.  The rest of the seething masses of live players can continue to seeth without me.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 04:36:23 PM »

I can't decide if I like the D-pad or the analog stick better. I seem to be able to pull off dragon-punches much better with the analog stick, but it seems to give me more trouble blocking (especially down) and it sometimes causes me to jump without meaning to. The D-pad has been fine for me so far for most things-- I can block well and pull off most moves-- it's just that fluid forward-down-forward type of move that gives me some trouble on the D-Pad.

Neither are perfect, but to tell you the truth, they are much better than I expected. And as for lag, I've noticed a little bit with some opponents, but most games over Live so far have been pretty smooth.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 04:43:12 PM »

I'm hearing lots of problems as far as lag goes. Obviously, if you're hosting, you're gonna have the advantage in that category, as whatever you input into the game happens at that instant instead of having to transmit through the 'net.

And yes, while I used to love the old Street Fighter games, I've really fallen out of the classics and onto more 'modern' SF games, like the Alpha series. The super moves and alpha counters bring a lot more options to the table in every fight.

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 04:45:52 PM »

I'm the exact opposite-- once all the counters and supercombos were added to the series, I lost interest. The series peaked with Cammy.  biggrin
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »

I think part of my love is that I spent SOO much time and money playing the first couple of versions of SF2, I never really adjusted to the newer options.  Of course all of the SF vs. marvel etc. put a very bad taste in my mouth as well.

Alpha 3 is still a good game.  I'll buy that one as well if it shows on Live.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2006, 05:10:34 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Of course all of the SF vs. marvel etc. put a very bad taste in my mouth as well.

Hey!  Whoa there!  You go wash that filthy mouth of yours out right now, pal!   :lol:

Capcom Vs. Marvel 2 is the best crazy fighting game ever made.  biggrin I still fire up the Dreamcast to play it every once in a while.  So absolutely fun.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 07:26:04 PM »

I also stopped liking the series when they added all the excess flash and combos.

I notice that in offline play I have no problem doing vega's jump, scream and throw, but online I can't get him to either claw or throw before he lands.  I fear lag may have killed my chances of being good with my best character frown  (that and playing with a thumb instead of a joystick.. ugh)
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 07:30:12 PM »

I downloaded it and tried it, but came away disappointed.

So far all of the old school games have left me flat.

Back to Chromehounds.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 07:36:23 PM »

The quarter match mode is Capcom's grand experiment to re-create the vibe of playing in an arcade. You'll be able to go into or create a lobby that holds five people. Two will be engaged in a fight at all times, while the other three will watch via spectator mode. During the match, the spectators will have their "quarter" up and be in the queue to take on the winner of the match. The loser will swap out into the virtual crowd and wait for their turn again. The quarter is an avatar you can set in the game's options (more on that a little later). As with the player match mode, the quarter matches are social battles that won't affect your ranking.'

Hey look... I quoted myself.   :?

So I am hearing my quote above is no longer true.  Anyone know?  Cause now I read you actually DON'T watch the others play, you simply sit there looking at a blank screen?  If true, who is the genius that made THAT decision?

LD

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2006, 07:37:49 PM »

The quarter match mode is Capcom's grand experiment to re-create the vibe of playing in an arcade. You'll be able to go into or create a lobby that holds five people. Two will be engaged in a fight at all times, while the other three will watch via spectator mode. During the match, the spectators will have their "quarter" up and be in the queue to take on the winner of the match. The loser will swap out into the virtual crowd and wait for their turn again. The quarter is an avatar you can set in the game's options (more on that a little later). As with the player match mode, the quarter matches are social battles that won't affect your ranking.'

Hey look... I quoted myself.   :?

So I am hearing my quote above is no longer true.  Anyone know?  Cause now I read you actually DON'T watch the others play, you simply sit there looking at a blank screen?  If true, who is the genius that made THAT decision?

Wow, I'd like to know about that, because quarters mode with OO/GT is pretty much the whole reason I was planning to buy the game.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: