http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 08:39:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stoked for Star Ocean  (Read 4293 times)
Ragnarok
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2004, 05:54:07 PM »

I just picked up the Latest Star Ocean release for PS2 after reading tons of glowing reviews.  I've only had a chance to play a tiny bit up to a battle simulation/tutorial but its looking good so far.  Its been a long while since I picked up anything for my PS2(I favour the PC).

For those of you who've played it , what did you think of it?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 06:10:05 PM »

I think its awesome. Great story with some cool twists later on. It starts off a little slow, but towards the end of the first disc things pick up and get really interesting. I have put about 40 or so hours into the game and still have a ways to go. I just wish the team mates AI wasn't so dumb during combat. Otherwise I have no real complaints against it.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 06:47:18 PM »

I put a couple of hours into the game when it first released and was impressed. The only complaint I had was that something didn't quite feel right in the cutscenes. I'm going to play this or X-Men Legends once I finish Paper Mario.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 06:56:49 PM »

Everything about it is great.  It is a little slow to start, but it gets good fast.  The world is incredibly detailed, with each area both unique and full of little details.  There are also big, open areas that look great, and effectively create a sense of a wide open world without the use of a world map.  The story and characters are also interesting, and while sci-fi and fantasy have been mixed in games before, I've never seen it done this well.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 07:17:37 PM »

I'm in the boat that didn't like it much at all.  The story was incoherent and buried four screens deep in the menus.  The voice acting was laughably bad--not only did the characters just sound stupid, the voice track was MUCH quieter than the music track, so often I couldn't hear what was being said.  Additionally, there was an INCREDIBLY annoying and noticable pause before a character spoke--I assume this was the disc spinning up the voices into memory?

Combat was pretty 'eh.'  I had just played Tales of Symphonia before Star Ocean, and there's no question in my mind which had the better combat system:  ToS.  Pressing the attack button in ToS made your character swing his weapon, while moving the control stick moved your character.  Pressing the attack button in SO makes you get in range of the enemy and attack.  Moving the control stick also moves your character.  This leads to some bizarre combat scenes of your character running back and forth in place very quickly as you grapple with trying to move your character out of the way of attacks while simultaneously returning fire.

Who knows, you may like it.  One thing's certain: there are much better RPGs on the market right now.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 08:35:39 PM »

I loved it.  Until Paper Mario 2 came around it was my second favorite RPG this generation behind KOTOR.

I did find it slow in the beginning- things didn't really kick in for me until the party arrives on Elicoor.  In fact I came pretty close to shelving it for a time.  Glad I didn't.

The complaints LE listed are very valid but can be worked around and/or are confined to the beginning of the game.  In general I found the voice work very good but there are some hideous voice actors who are mostly confined to characters you only encounter at the very beginning.  The strange pauses are, I think, byproducts of difference in audio length between the original Japanese voices and the American voiceovers.  The best solution I found for getting around that and the wacky voice volumes was to enable subtitles and pressing a button to continue conversations.  Once I did that it didn't bother me anymore.  

The combat system isn't as deep as ToS's but I still found it a lot of fun, particularly by the mid game when the party had some pretty spectacular special attacks.  Party AI never bothered me.  I found it did an excellent job of healing characters in need and using special attacks.  

It ended up taking me over 75 hours to complete it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 01:47:15 AM »

Quote from: "jersoc"
I think its awesome. Great story with some cool twists later on. It starts off a little slow, but towards the end of the first disc things pick up and get really interesting. I have put about 40 or so hours into the game and still have a ways to go. I just wish the team mates AI wasn't so dumb during combat. Otherwise I have no real complaints against it.

Like jersoc, I loved the game. In fact, I reviewed it over here. biggrin

It had a fun combat system (with dumb AI, unfortunately), a great story (and one mother of a twist), 50-60 hours of gameplay (can extend that into 100+ EASILY if you want to do everything), and had a great musical soundtrack.

Devote some time to this game - you'll find it worth your time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 06:44:42 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "jersoc"
It had a fun combat system (with dumb AI, unfortunately), a great story (and one mother of a twist), 50-60 hours of gameplay (can extend that into 100+ EASILYDevote some time to this game - you'll find it worth your time.

Just the fact it has a "twist" is not necessarily a good thing. I thought the twist sucked bad and the game really lost me at that point. This game is hard to judge tho. LE's complaints are all valid, also the game cheats and deliberately breaks the gauge if you use your character to fight. Thus you must either not fight at all if you want the gauge up which isn't too fun or you fight without the gauge, which kinda eliminates the purpose of it in the first place.  So you end up avoiding battle which also sucks because you can't just sit there and watch them fight because the AI will nearly always give chase to your character forcing you to spend every battle running around in circles. Not fun at all. Also if you accidently hit the combat button your character will run all the way across the battlefield totally without any control on your part and attack. Lost count of how many times this happened the AI got one swing at me, hit and broke the gauge. Tales of symphonia is a far superior game, particularly the combat. Like I said tho, this is a hard game to judge, I did finish it which is rare for this type of game. I spent 120 hours playing it, so I definately got my money's worth. But the ending was really bad, and ultimately I was left feeling very unsatisfied when it was all said and done. Most of those who say the game is great are only halfway through. I thought it was much better then too, the second part really drops off IMO.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 07:10:39 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
LE's complaints are all valid, also the game cheats and deliberately breaks the gauge if you use your character to fight. Thus you must either not fight at all if you want the gauge up which isn't too fun or you fight without the gauge, which kinda eliminates the purpose of it in the first place.  So you end up avoiding battle which also sucks because you can't just sit there and watch them fight because the AI will nearly always give chase to your character forcing you to spend every battle running around in circles. Not fun at all.

Now, I always actually fought in battles, and I never had any real problems of the gague breaking short of boss fights. Yes, there were some cheap instances of the enemies getting through my guard, but beyond that, I had little problem (short of the end areas, anyway) getting the bonus gague up and running. 10-15 battles without a break were pretty common for me.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 08:52:51 PM »

Destructor, Vagabond (AKA ElderGamer) did some pretty epic straight runs with Battle Guage IIRC (like many hours straight) so he will likely scoff at your mere 10-15 battles.

Personally, I don't think Vagabond's complaints wrt to the Battle Guage stuff are valid at all.  Its designed as a bonus not the default.  I never went out of my way to avoid battles nor did I go out of my way to keep the guage up and I had no trouble beating the game.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 09:46:45 PM »

It's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game, in my opinion.  That being said, for $50, I'd recommend buying the Shadow Hearts: Covenant + Original Shadow Hearts pack, Shin Megami Tensi: Nocturne, or Phantom Brave.  It's hard to go wrong with any of those.  Shadow Hearts is a better purchase for the FFX lover, Nocturne is better for the 'old school' RPG lover, and Phantom Brave is better for the FFTactics lover.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 04:01:35 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
It's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game, in my opinion.  That being said, for $50, I'd recommend buying the Shadow Hearts: Covenant + Original Shadow Hearts pack, Shin Megami Tensi: Nocturne, or Phantom Brave.  It's hard to go wrong with any of those.  Shadow Hearts is a better purchase for the FFX lover, Nocturne is better for the 'old school' RPG lover, and Phantom Brave is better for the FFTactics lover.

Is Shadow Hearts a "stand alone" story, or is it a continuation of a series? I'm new to PS2 RPG's.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 04:29:32 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

Is Shadow Hearts a "stand alone" story, or is it a continuation of a series? I'm new to PS2 RPG's.

Shadow Hearts Covenant is a direct sequel from the first Shadow Hearts game.  That being said, it's not too important that you play the first to understand the story for the second.  They're both fantastic RPGs

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 04:31:14 AM »

There is a prequel (a PSX game) of sorts to Shadow Hearts, but bluntly put, the game's story really starts from the original game. Shadow Hearts: Coventant is the sequel to the original Shadow Hearts, and is continuation to the overall story (6 months after the events of Shadow Hearts). They're both PS2 games. First one is good, second one - from what I've played of it so far - is excellent.

They both have stand-alone stories, meaning that you could play through the second without having completed the first. That said, you'll appreciate Covenant more, if you've completed the original Shadow Hearts, since it makes constant references to the events of the first title. It also has some old faces and places make an appearance here and there.

Because Covenant has bettered so many of the overall aspects of the judgement ring, among other things, I recommend you play through Shadow Hearts first, unless you're craving for the latest and the greatest. Otherwise, you'll have a tough time taking a step back to a clunkier experience.

Edited to add - Damn you, depward!

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2004, 04:36:09 AM »

Well, thanks to both you guys for the info. Holy crap there are soooo many good games out there. I'll add Shadow Hearts to the to-play list.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2004, 08:37:04 AM »

Hehehe gotta love it when someone adds in a quick little response before your nice, long, detailed one   biggrin

But really, there are a lot of new RPGs out there that are fantastic - yes it's a good thing.  But when you're in your senior year of college and don't have a whole lot of time to play games - it's a bad thing.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2004, 11:19:29 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Destructor, Vagabond (AKA ElderGamer) did some pretty epic straight runs with Battle Guage IIRC (like many hours straight) so he will likely scoff at your mere 10-15 battles.

Personally, I don't think Vagabond's complaints wrt to the Battle Guage stuff are valid at all.  Its designed as a bonus not the default.  I never went out of my way to avoid battles nor did I go out of my way to keep the guage up and I had no trouble beating the game.

Not sure about the scoffing part. But I would just point out that in order to get the trophies for having the gauge up you have to do it without being broken for 50, 100 and 250 battles. 250 took me about 10 hours if I remember correctly. Like most games of this type you can of course finish it using many different strategies.  However, if you don't use the gauge you will have to fight 3 times as many battles just to get the same amount of experience, actually worse because I was powerleveling on the same thing that was worth a lot of experience for that level and not just pushing through the game fighting things with average or poor exp. I would think most people would not prefer this over trying to use the gauge even with it's major faults. Since the gauge gets broken by getting critted the stuff later in the game that swings much harder will crit you much more often. You will not make 5 battles using your character to actually fight. Like I said I was deliberately not using my character and I would make a clicking error and get critted on the one swing they got on me 90 percent of the time or more. The game will immediately switch targets to swing at you. Hell the thing will cast at you if you are as far away as you can get, trying deliberately to break the gauge. When it is trying on purpose it is going to do it a lot. Another really bad thing is since you used the forward triggers to rotate the view you get used to doing that often, but in battle it changes the character you are controlling. Do that accidently to one that is in battle and you will almost always get critted before you can even think about switching back.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 03:24:59 PM »

But the thing is, I never power-leveled.  I made a point to fight every enemy encounter once and then only fought if I felt like it or couldn't avoid the enemy.  Never at any point did I go into a dungeon/wilderness area and get into battles over and over again just to level.  That's my point- the Bonus Gauge is just that Bonus.  You can pretty much play straight from plot point to plot point without paying attention to it and you should still have no huge difficulty anywhere along the line.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2004, 09:32:33 AM »

But the thing is, I never power-leveled.  I made a point to fight every enemy encounter once and then only fought if I felt like it or couldn't avoid the enemy.  Never at any point did I go into a dungeon/wilderness area and get into battles over and over again just to level.  That's my point- the Bonus Gauge is just that Bonus.  You can pretty much play straight from plot point to plot point without paying attention to it and you should still have no huge difficulty anywhere along the line.

I seriously doubt you could finish the game without powerleveling at all. Most games of this type are balanced with the fact you will powerlevel in mind. You had to have done some. There are also trophies for finishing off bosses in less than a minute and without getting hit. If you want these, you MUST powerlevel in order to win the battles this easily.  If you didn't fine.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2004, 12:25:08 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"

I seriously doubt you could finish the game without powerleveling at all. Most games of this type are balanced with the fact you will powerlevel in mind. You had to have done some. There are also trophies for finishing off bosses in less than a minute and without getting hit. If you want these, you MUST powerlevel in order to win the battles this easily.  If you didn't fine.

The trophies are completely optional- I never specifically tried for any trophy and only had about 25% of them when I beat the game.  I did get most of the "beat the boss in under a minute" trophies but not so many "beat the boss without getting hit."

As for power-leveling maybe we're referring to different terms.  When I say power-level I'm referring to wandering a wilderness or dungeon area with the specific intent of gaining levels.  I never, ever did that in Star Ocean 3.  Most dungeons I only played through once fighting each enemy one time.  Wilderness areas I obviously passed through multiple times on many errands and usually avoided most fights after I had been through the area once.  I ended up finishing the game with my characters with levels in the high 60s to low 70s.  I think I only died in two boss fights, both in the middle of the game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2004, 01:28:29 PM »

I agree with LE on Star Ocean.  The absolutely dreadful voice acting, lame story, weak combat system, and bland, boring graphics really killed SO3 for me.  Granted, I only gave it about 7 hours.  I've been told that the story doesn't really kick in until about 10 hours in, but if a game hasn't grabbed me before the 10 hour mark, I won't keep playing it.  

Shadow Hearts:  Covenant is a far superior RPG.  No, you don't have to have played the first game to understand it, but there are many things that will make a lot more sense and have much more impact if you are familiar with the back story.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2004, 06:54:13 PM »

"The absolutely dreadful voice acting, lame story, weak combat system, and bland, boring graphics really killed SO3 for me"

For me, it's just the opposite.  The voice acting (other than 2 overly-high-pitched characters) is great, the story is interesting and the Star Trek-like Prime Directive stuff makes it unique, I love the combat system, and the graphics, while not technically that great, are artistically some of the best I've seen.  The wide open outdoor areas make the world seem more vast than most RPGs with true world maps, and each location is unique and wonderfully realized.  Each house in a town is unique, with tons of details, many unique to just that house.  

The beginning is a bit weak, as the sci-fi stuff isn't done nearly as well graphically as the on-planet stuff, and Sophia's voice can be grating.  Other than that, I've been incredibly impressed with everything about the game, and (so far) it's my game of the year.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2004, 07:15:55 PM »

The graphics weren't that bad.  I didn't like the art direction on the game, though--every character looked like a China doll, which was a little disturbing for my tastes.

I can deal with anime-looking big-eyes big-headed characters, but the ones in SO3 looked like they were made of porcelain...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2004, 06:29:21 AM »

Well, this ones up for trade.

I played for about 8 hours.  I fell asleep during one of the "events" or cut scenes.  Last I checked the word "event" meant something was actually happening, but between the long pauses, and unnecessary repeating of just about everything said, my mind just couldn't take it anymore and totally shut down.  At one point I actually screamed at Fayt to shut the f@ck up and quit whining about the same thing over and over again.  Hes too irritating to follow.  If your main character was that first guy you picked up(what was his name?  Chud? Clod? Crom?) it would've been much better.  What is with Japanese RPG's having such weakling little runts as main characters? :x

Or do Fayts testes drop later in the game?

Other stuff about it was ok.  The voice acting was good as far as expression, but again, weak little prepubescent or helium filled voices. Jeez.  Graphics were pretty, and the integration of space/science/Symbology(magic) was done well enough.

Maybe I'm not giving it a chance but I cannot sit through anymore event scenes.  I really wanted to get back into using my PS2 with a good RPG bender, but this unfortunatly won't be it.

I'm now looking into Arc the LAd:ToS and Shadow Hearts:Covenant.  Maybe, just maybe, one of them will bring back the good ol' days of a FF level of immersion for me.

Of course, if I can't trade it I might get back to SO for a second go.  Who knows.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2004, 12:22:17 PM »

Ragnarok- how far did you get?  I was the same way in the early game (even including dozing during a cutscene).  I quite literally took the game out of the PS2 and placed it on the shelf to be played "at a later date."  A few hours later, after watching Gamestop's video review and being impressed by some of the upcoming environments, I pulled it back out and made one more go and was almost instantly hooked.  

If you haven't made it to the Elicoor and escaped from the jail (not really a spoiler) then I would play at least up to that point because that's where I got hooked.  If its after that then giving up is probably for the best.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2004, 02:04:53 PM »

Quote from: "Ragnarok"
Well, this ones up for trade.

I played for about 8 hours.  I fell asleep during one of the "events" or cut scenes.  Last I checked the word "event" meant something was actually happening, but between the long pauses, and unnecessary repeating of just about everything said, my mind just couldn't take it anymore and totally shut down.  At one point I actually screamed at Fayt to shut the f@ck up and quit whining about the same thing over and over again.  Hes too irritating to follow.  If your main character was that first guy you picked up(what was his name?  Chud? Clod? Crom?) it would've been much better.  What is with Japanese RPG's having such weakling little runts as main characters? :x

I felt exactly the same way and picked up Shadow Hearts:  Covenant instead.  It's a much, much better game and I think you'll enjoy it a lot more.

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2004, 11:10:53 AM »

[/quote]

The trophies are completely optional- I never specifically tried for any trophy and only had about 25% of them when I beat the game.  I did get most of the "beat the boss in under a minute" trophies but not so many "beat the boss without getting hit."[/quote]

The Trophies are optional if you don't want to play again on the higher difficulty level.  I think you need 35 percent in order to play on the next highest one. Which I figured I would do at the beginning, till the second half and the game lost me.  It's easy to get the not getting hit ones granting your other 3 characters can beat whatever you are fighting. Just keep the character you are controlling out of battle. It's not anybody getting hit, it's just whoever you are controlling. By "powerleveling" I mean fighting the same battle over and over again, or running back and forth through an area in order to get random battles to level. If you were around 70 at the end that is about what I was, I don't see how you gained that level without powerleveling a decent amount. Also you get Sophia at level 1, you would have to powerlevel her up in order to use her. Perhaps you did it unwitting by doing a lot of back and forth trekking? What was your ending gametime?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2004, 02:19:25 PM »

Vagabond- my end gametime was 75 hours.  I think some of the difference is that I never swapped any of my characters out of my core group of three (Fayt, Cliff, and Nel).  Outside of my core group of characters I didn't have any other characters higher than 20-something (Maria) and I never leveled Abel, Roger, Sophia, or Adalay at all.  The only time that almost bit me in the ass was in the Shrine of Kaddon when you had to select four party members for a battle.  Luckily I did have Maria in the low 20s from the brief portion where you lose Nel (the other three were in their 30s then I believe) and I was able to make it past that part.  

Generally when revisiting an area on quests I avoided battles though I would fight the occasional hard to avoid battle.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2004, 09:18:16 PM »

Vagabond- my end gametime was 75 hours.  I think some of the difference is that I never swapped any of my characters out of my core group of three (Fayt, Cliff, and Nel).  Outside of my core group of characters I didn't have any other characters higher than 20-something (Maria) and I never leveled Abel, Roger, Sophia, or Adalay at all.  The only time that almost bit me in the ass was in the Shrine of Kaddon when you had to select four party members for a battle.  Luckily I did have Maria in the low 20s from the brief portion where you lose Nel (the other three were in their 30s then I believe) and I was able to make it past that part.  

Generally when revisiting an area on quests I avoided battles though I would fight the occasional hard to avoid battle.

Huh, I guess that explains it because I wasn't sure which characters I might need, I tried to level them all pretty evenly up to about 50 or so. I got Sophia up to 70 with everybody else which was hard. Although she was the perfect character for controlling and keeping out of battle because she could just sit back and blast and cast healing magic as necessary. My gametime was well over 120 hours but I kept the game on for probably 20 hours to keep the gauge from being broken a few times.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2005, 11:01:44 PM »

yeah, well,...

a little 'behind the times' here, but, what with having no real backlog of unfinished games like everyone else, & having read a passing reference to this game by kevin just a few days earlier, i grabbed a used copy this weekend with the intention of starting a backlog...

but, here we are 3 days later, & i can't stop playing it! how did i miss this one, & why didn't i read destuctor's very good review, instead of some of the negative ones i did read? - not sure if it was my disappointment with symphonia (& the whole idea of an 'action' rpg), or my latching onto smt:n, but i seriously missed the boat on this one. yeah, the music drowning out the voices is just terribly bad at times, & i still hate the whole respawning enemies aspect, but, man, this game just feels & looks & plays sooo good...

so thanks to kevin for the unintentional heads-up, & so much for my attempt at back-logging...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Hereafter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2005, 11:09:28 PM »

I'm in the boat that didn't like it much at all.  The story was incoherent and buried four screens deep in the menus.  The voice acting was laughably bad--not only did the characters just sound stupid, the voice track was MUCH quieter than the music track, so often I couldn't hear what was being said.  Additionally, there was an INCREDIBLY annoying and noticable pause before a character spoke--I assume this was the disc spinning up the voices into memory?

Combat was pretty 'eh.'  I had just played Tales of Symphonia before Star Ocean, and there's no question in my mind which had the better combat system:  ToS.  Pressing the attack button in ToS made your character swing his weapon, while moving the control stick moved your character.  Pressing the attack button in SO makes you get in range of the enemy and attack.  Moving the control stick also moves your character.  This leads to some bizarre combat scenes of your character running back and forth in place very quickly as you grapple with trying to move your character out of the way of attacks while simultaneously returning fire.

Who knows, you may like it.  One thing's certain: there are much better RPGs on the market right now.

Listen to this man. Plus 1) The way they do item creation makes baby Jesus cry 2) All the running around near the end of the game is makes me  cry. There isn't any true warp points to any of the points needed in the end game.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2005, 03:13:35 PM »

Quote from: "Hereafter"
All the running around near the end of the game is makes me  cry.

tell me - if the game's so bad it makes you cry, why the heck are you running around near the end in the first place? maybe it's just me, but once a game's no longer fun, it's gone - life's too short...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2005, 03:23:15 PM »

I absolutely hated the battle system, much like I disliked the X-men Legends. Too much happening way too fast. I felt like all I was doing was mashing buttons to end the battles. Maybe I am slower and more methodical in my old age, but I didn't enjoy the game at all because of this.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2005, 06:55:40 PM »

Ahhhhh, Vagabond posts.  Oh, how I miss them...

:sniff:

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2005, 07:38:18 PM »

Quote from: "infoghost"
I absolutely hated the battle system, much like I disliked the X-men Legends. Too much happening way too fast. I felt like all I was doing was mashing buttons to end the battles. Maybe I am slower and more methodical in my old age, but I didn't enjoy the game at all because of this.

i'm not sure why the mashing isn't bothering me, because (just like respawning enemies) it usually does - i think the large, open combat areas helps?...

Hereafter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2005, 12:01:18 AM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
All the running around near the end of the game is makes me  cry.

tell me - if the game's so bad it makes you cry, why the heck are you running around near the end in the first place? maybe it's just me, but once a game's no longer fun, it's gone - life's too short...

Well I did over $70 CAD on it so I had to finish it.  I did stop after the first bonus maze though, it became really tedious after.

Mind you the game isn't bad or really good.  There's just so many good RPGs out on the PS2 that SO3 shouldn't be on top of your list of RPGs.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2005, 03:34:44 PM »

Mind you the game isn't bad or really good.  There's just so many good RPGs out on the PS2 that SO3 shouldn't be on top of your list of RPGs.

seeing as i've waited this long to play it, no, it's nowhere near the top of my list - i've played/tried just about every other ps2 rpg released since so3, as well as just about all of'm before it. &, as early on as it is (just rescued nel), i'm not ready to say it's a really good game, & have already experienced some of the potential 'annoyance' that turned you & lots of other people off to the game...

basically, as i've already said, i'm really enjoying a game that i shouldn't be, & i'm still not sure why. i'm very impressed with the story, characters, & artwork (the emphasis on environmental detail over character detail really works for me), but ordinarily all of that wouldn't be enough to balance out the (for me, anyway) pretty chaotic combat system, repetitive back-tracking, & oftentimes seriously inappropriate music. but, for some reason, this time it is...

while everyone's played a few games that they were supposed to like that they didn't (god of war was the most recent one for me), it isn't often (cuz why would you bother?) you play a game you aren't supposed to like but do. that's what star ocean's turned out to be for me...

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2005, 06:28:45 PM »

I think the game is fantastic, and I'd put it right up there with the best RPGs on the system.  What's most impressive is that, although the world is huge, it is also incredibly detailed.  Every area, down to the small houses, is packed with detail and unique objects, the backstory is detailed, and every object has a graphic and a description.  The combat system takes a while to get a handle on, but works very well, and I liked it a lot better than the one is Tales of Symphonia, especially the ability to quickly switch characters.  The game mixes both the big, epic moments and stunning wide-open outdoor areas with meticulously detailed indoor areas and small, intimate moments, and nails both.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2005, 10:21:39 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I think the game is fantastic, and I'd put it right up there with the best RPGs on the system.  What's most impressive is that, although the world is huge, it is also incredibly detailed.  Every area, down to the small houses, is packed with detail and unique objects, the backstory is detailed, and every object has a graphic and a description.  The combat system takes a while to get a handle on, but works very well, and I liked it a lot better than the one is Tales of Symphonia, especially the ability to quickly switch characters.  The game mixes both the big, epic moments and stunning wide-open outdoor areas with meticulously detailed indoor areas and small, intimate moments, and nails both.

thanks - i needed that smile ...

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2005, 12:25:58 AM »

final comments (now that i'm a good ways into it) -

yes, the long, saveless dungeons are mean, almost discouraging exploration, & yes, the invention thing, well, sucks... but, man, flawed masterpiece that it is, this game is a damn masterpiece!...

really glad i got it...

(okay, time for a little break / catch up with the just-released ps2 version of psychonauts...)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: