http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 04:13:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor  (Read 1323 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »

Mechs with Kinect and regular controller action?. In!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »

Mechs in a Manhattan-based WWII?  Cool.

I hope the Kinect works.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »

In like Wilt Chamberlain

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »

This game looked amazing at PAX.  Everything about it screams WWII with mechs.  In fact, if someone told me I was watching a demo for a new Ring of Red spinoff I would've believed them.

The good part of the demo opens up with a d-day landing.  The ground troops are getting pounded and it's up to you in your mech to support their advances.  Your mech is controlled by a team, so you see at least 2-3 other people crammed in the control cockpit with you.  The action had a good mix of attacking other enemy mechs and fighting off puny ground troops feeling like a big shot.

Mechs are perfectly slow and lumbering, just the way I like them.  In addition, your cockpit view is horribly restrictive, in an awesomely immersive way.  You see lots of dials and controls, with Kinect-able buttons & levers having a glowing highlight.  Your view of the outside is limited to a restricted little portal.  You can improve your view by either popping the top hatch to look around with a panoramic but vulnerable view, or bringing up the periscope to give a zoomed in targetting view at the expense of your peripheral vision.  The periscope sights are calibrated for your main cannon, so your machine gun hits off to the left of the crosshair.  I can see tank sim nuts loving this game just as much as mech fans.

The controls - You play sitting with a controller.  Hand swipes move your view to let you see your copilots elsewhere in the cockpit and possibly other mech controls.  Stand up to pop out of the top hatch for a better look, then if you pretend to hold up binoculars with one hand you will then bring up binoculars in-game.  Sit down again to get back in.  When seated, reach upward to indicate you're pulling down the periscope for that view, reach up again to put it back.  Certain levers and buttons are activated with Kinect commands, like pulling a lever to switch between high/low gears for movement or pressing a jumbo button to change between AP or incendiary rounds.  Movement, aiming, and shooting is controller-operated.  The hybrid controls looked really really slick, adding to immersion without being annoying or gimmicky.

The gimmicks - But of course they couldn't resist throwing in stupid Kinect gimmicks.  You can shake hands.  You can fist bump.  Ugh.  The cutscenes also seemed to go overboard with gore, which seemed unnecessary, over-the-top, and off-putting to me.  I just want to pilot lumbering mechs; I don't need or want to see highly detailed severed human torsos or decapitation animations, thank you.

Despite that, I was really impressed with what I saw.  Unless early reviews are scary, this is likely to be a day 1 buy for me.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:37:27 PM »

I predict looking even more like an ass in the confines of my apartment when this is released.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 08:49:54 PM »

I'm not sure if I will look like more of a dork playing this, or when I had the original Steel Battalion set up.

The trailer made it look like you could punch your crewmates if they got hysterical.  Please tell me that's real and is motion controlled.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:52:03 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 09, 2012, 08:49:54 PM

The trailer made it look like you could punch your crewmates if they got hysterical.  Please tell me that's real and is motion controlled.

I didn't see it myself, but the guy narrating the live demonstration did mention something that sounded like that.  He said he's seen the demo played 40 times and each time certain parts still play out slightly different, an example of which I think was hitting your crewmate to get him to get back in the cabin.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 07:25:24 PM »

Apparently Steel Battallion has 4-player online co-op! Hell yeah

Semper Fidelis

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:42:32 PM »

I just hope there's a star wars mode where it sounds like an AT-ST or AT-AT.

Boom-dingle-dingle-Boom-dingle-dingle-(lather-rinse-repeat)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on April 10, 2012, 07:25:24 PM

if they have a dance mode I'm in!

Because I can,
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 08:21:42 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on April 10, 2012, 07:25:24 PM

I'll be getting it.  The pace looks much more to my liking than Armored Core was.   Also watching it played at PAX it was looking pretty nice.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 08:48:17 PM »

It certainly looks appealing (the video is up on Inside Xbox), but I'm concerned about flailing about to change views and controls and how quickly I'll be able to pull that off.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »

Demo is up!

EDIT:  Well, they had me shake someone's hand and catch an apple at the start of the tutorial.  And, as I feared, the flailing about in the cabin was too much and the Kinect just doesn't work well enough to keep up with what was required.  It was okay in the tutorial, but I had to quit in the heat of battle, as every time I wanted to do something, I would look at the guy next to me and tickle him or something.

YMMV, though, if you can get the Kinect working reasonably.  It does require you to stand to see out of the cockpit, and it wasn't happy about my coffee table, so I had to move it.  Plus I had to sit at the edge of my couch.  Even if they were working, though, There are a lot of levers and buttons, and I'm not sure the Kinect is precise enough for all of them (I could never switch to HE rounds on the first or even the tenth try, for example).

It's too bad, too, since the monents in the tutorial where I was lining up a shot and firing felt really nice.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:22:16 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 01:39:32 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 10, 2012, 08:48:17 PM

It certainly looks appealing (the video is up on Inside Xbox), but I'm concerned about flailing about to change views and controls and how quickly I'll be able to pull that off.

I really like it. The learning curve is going to be steep, and getting comfortable with the controls (especially during combat) will be challenging.
I like that sort of thing, and I can't wait for the release of this game.

Semper Fidelis

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 02:12:25 PM »

So, is the Kinect required for this game?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 03:22:45 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 24, 2012, 02:12:25 PM

So, is the Kinect required for this game?

I'm going to go with YES. Tongue

Its not a "Kinect Enhanced" title.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 05:35:59 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 24, 2012, 12:42:09 PM

Demo is up!

EDIT:  Well, they had me shake someone's hand and catch an apple at the start of the tutorial.  And, as I feared, the flailing about in the cabin was too much and the Kinect just doesn't work well enough to keep up with what was required.  It was okay in the tutorial, but I had to quit in the heat of battle, as every time I wanted to do something, I would look at the guy next to me and tickle him or something.

YMMV, though, if you can get the Kinect working reasonably.  It does require you to stand to see out of the cockpit, and it wasn't happy about my coffee table, so I had to move it.  Plus I had to sit at the edge of my couch.  Even if they were working, though, There are a lot of levers and buttons, and I'm not sure the Kinect is precise enough for all of them (I could never switch to HE rounds on the first or even the tenth try, for example).

It's too bad, too, since the monents in the tutorial where I was lining up a shot and firing felt really nice.

maybe it just doesn't like mooses  icon_wink

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 24, 2012, 05:35:59 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 24, 2012, 12:42:09 PM

Demo is up!

maybe it just doesn't like mooses  icon_wink

It's possible.  My Kinect hasn't been ideal ever between the size of the room and the lighting and my antlers getting in the way.

Like I say, YMMV, but the action kicks in fast and heavy in the non-tutorial, and there are a lot of precise buttons and levers to be manipulating.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 01:20:19 PM »

Oh Dear
    * Polygon: 1/10 - "Kinect may have many strengths, but recognizing small gestures isn't one of them. Heavy Armor requires them almost exclusively, turning gameplay into unending frustration."

* Destructoid: 3.0 - "Maybe at some point, the Kinect requirement can be patched out of it. Until then, piloting these Vertical Tanks even while sober may result in a loss of brain cells."

* Games Radar: 3.0 - "Probably the most unpardonable sin here is that there is nothing in Steel Battalion that can't be pulled off a hundred times better with a controller."

* IGN: 3.0 - Heavy Armor might be Kinect's most spectacular failure, but it's precisely because it's so ambitious.

* Kinectaku: 4.0 - Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor is a glorious failure, a noble attempt to reconcile the previously disconnected casual and hardcore camps

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »

Yeah, I was just coming here to post the thread from GAF - seems like an unmitigated disaster.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »

OUT!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 03:15:16 PM »

Ben Kuchera of the PA Report is also saying stay away.  What a shame.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »

F**k. I was going to pick this up today.

I am not willing to drop 60bux on this - there is no review copy available and my cashmoney resources are low.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 19, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

OUT!

SURE AS HELL NOT IN!!!!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 03:31:41 AM »

Quote from: Purge on June 19, 2012, 04:31:40 PM

F**k. I was going to pick this up today.

I am not willing to drop 60bux on this - there is no review copy available and my cashmoney resources are low.

Damn, I usually buy every game that I'm curious about, even with bad reviews. Will flip a coin tomorrow and let fate decide.

Edit: Gotta wait until Friday, under too much painkillers
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:47:50 AM by USMC Kato » Logged

Semper Fidelis

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 01:48:33 PM »

I thought it was going to have both kinect and 360 controller support, like Mass Effect 3.  I wouldn't want to be the person who gave the nod approving kinect only support for a mech game.    

Edited:  I just watched one of the reviews...it does have both kinect and controller support, but the implementation looks terrible.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:56:01 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »

It's a good thing there's some unanimity about this game because they only thing I learned from the Giant Bomb Quick Look was that Brad Shoemaker really likes to bathe his vehicle in the thickest showers of enemy artillery he can find.

-Autistic Angel
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 20, 2012, 01:48:33 PM

I thought it was going to have both kinect and 360 controller support, like Mass Effect 3.  I wouldn't want to be the person who gave the nod approving kinect only support for a mech game.   

Edited:  I just watched one of the reviews...it does have both kinect and controller support, but the implementation looks terrible.

Yes, it's Kinect with controller, but the Kinect is required and apparently very poorly implemented.  If they only had half a brain and designed the game to be played with Kinect as optional this might have had a chance.

Another good example of that poor interface, and Autistic it also shows that it wasn't just Brad that was blindly getting nailed by enemy fire, that seems to be part of the game.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:45:54 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »

It's a good thing that Mechwarrior Online is coming out in 2 months. I've just been really missing big robot battles.

I can just pickup an actual flight stick and use that with MWO and get all the convoluted controls I need.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 11:39:57 PM »

Minus the kinect requirement. I think the game would have been very interesting to me.

Requiring a kinect means I'll never play it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: