http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 01:58:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam Streaming on Scene: Seems to Stream Seamlessly  (Read 517 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »

Steam in-home streaming just hit today.  You can have your powerful desktop computer handle the horsepower and stream the game over your home network to another laptop or an HTPC or whatever.  I just tried out a game that my Macbook Air couldn't possibly run (not to mention it's not even available for Mac) and it worked flawlessly.  It displays the visuals on the computer being run, so I had them up side by side.  The amount of lag from mouse cursor movement was minimal enough to call it nonexistent.  It just... worked.  You don't even have to do anything tricky to get it set up; just have Steam up and running on both computers.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:28:53 PM »

yeah iits pretty awesome

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:35:43 PM »

Similar experience. Have a crappy $300 Dell Inspiron laptop. We're talking Pentium 1.9gig processor, 4GB of RAM, and on board graphics.

The streaming tech actually works well over wifi!

I tried FTL first, thinking to do something simple. And at first it was terrible. Lots of lag and screen flickering. But after about 30 seconds it synced up and played flawlessly. I moved downstairs and it still worked great. I then tried something more ambitious. The last Mortal Kombat game. To my surprise the feed synced up very quickly, like a few seconds. The game looked a bit dark on my laptop (probably due to the crummy on board graphics) but other than that the image looked good, and more importantly it played well. When I hit any of the movements or attack buttons on the keyboard the response was immediate on the screen. The one thing I did notice, beyond the graphics being a bit on the dark side, was that sometimes you would see it skip a frame or two of the fighter. It had 0 bearing on playability but I would notice it when the fighters were just standing there going through their motions.

So then I tried the last Tomb Raider game. Similar experience. Could see it was dropping a few frames when going through the benchmark, and the image was a bit dark, but still very good.

I then hooked my laptop up to my TV and that worked fine too. The only thing I have to play with is the resolution (as I had black bars on either side) but I know I can fix that. But this put a huge smile on my face as I was looking for an easy method to play my computer games on my TV without having to invest a bunch of money in wireless HDMI transmitters, or purchase a gaming laptop. Although I will probably have to purchase a slightly better laptop with a dedicated graphics card at some point.

But for now am very happy this came out.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:37:37 PM by Crawley » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »

When I tried it in beta I was having issues over wifi but I'll give it another shot.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:55:13 PM »

Is it possible to run multiple steam copies on one system?  Could I play my account and stream my gf's to her crappy system while mine runs both?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 10:57:53 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 21, 2014, 10:55:13 PM

Is it possible to run multiple steam copies on one system?  Could I play my account and stream my gf's to her crappy system while mine runs both?

When I launched a game on my MacBook my primary PC went full screen with the game, so I'm guessing no, but I didn't try to alt tab or anything. If you let me know your Steam login and your credit card info, and all your Star Wars miniatures, I can give it a try, though.

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2014, 10:39:17 PM

When I tried it in beta I was having issues over wifi but I'll give it another shot.

FWIW my lag-free experience was with my PC tower going hard line to my router, then WiFi to the MacBook.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 12:20:33 AM »

Yeah, I tried it early on in the beta and it worked OK but could have been better.  I know they've updated it several times since then so assumed it had improved.  Glad to hear it's working well for you guys now, I may have to give it another try.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 01:24:48 PM »

I'm guessing the answer is no, but can you stream games that you just have shortcuts for in Steam?  i.e. Guild Wars 2 isn't hosted by steam, but I have a shortcut IN my steam library for it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 21, 2014, 10:55:13 PM

No, that's not what this is meant for, and there are multiple reasons why what you're asking for won't happen. This system is merely intended to let you process the game on one computer while playing on another device, nothing else.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »

I'm just not seeing much point in this I guess.  If I have access to the PC that can play it, why wouldn't I just play it on that PC?  Do you guys have such huge mansions that you need access to your PC on the other side of the house to game?

It's neat tech and cool, but I just don't see how useful it is overall unless you are a serious addict.  I game a lot, but even I can handle the difficulty of actually sitting in front of my PC to play slywink
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »

Two reasons beyond wanting to look like Richie Rich:

1) mobility.  I'm adverse to taking my desktop rig into bed with me.  I'm not adverse to taking my laptop into bed though.  same goes for other areas of the house I might want to game from occasionally. 

2) home theater.  Unlike you, I don't have a 72 inch computer monitor attached to my desktop rig.  I do have a 42 inch HDTV in my living room though...and a laptop with an hdmi port.  

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »

i guess those are reasons, but again if I'm going to be in bed, I'm either going to be sleeping or having sex.  I'm not so lazy that I can't get out of bed to game  ninja

I'll concede on the big screen issue, though you could just use a HDTV for your monitor.  They cheap now!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 02:20:30 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 22, 2014, 02:12:12 PM

i guess those are reasons, but again if I'm going to be in bed, I'm going to be having sex. 

That's not mutually exclusive with computers.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 21, 2014, 10:57:53 PM

FWIW my lag-free experience was with my PC tower going hard line to my router, then WiFi to the MacBook.

Yeah, unfortunately putting my PC on the wired network is a little tricky. PS4 remote play works pretty well for me, and in that case the source machine is wired.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 22, 2014, 02:05:34 PM

I'm just not seeing much point in this I guess.  If I have access to the PC that can play it, why wouldn't I just play it on that PC?  Do you guys have such huge mansions that you need access to your PC on the other side of the house to game?

It's neat tech and cool, but I just don't see how useful it is overall unless you are a serious addict.  I game a lot, but even I can handle the difficulty of actually sitting in front of my PC to play slywink

My reasons are pretty much the same as hepcat's.  For portability, my MacBook Air has such a great form factor.  It's as light as a tablet but has a keyboard and a great touchpad.  There are lots of games I'd rather play on my MacBook on the couch--so instead of being alone in the office I can be near The Wife while she watches TV shows I hate--but lots of games aren't Mac compatible and the Air doesn't have a ton of horsepower.

As for getting shows into the living room, there are games I'd rather play on the console that I bought on the PC instead because of Steam sales.  Arkham Origins, for example.  I also just bought Transistor on the PC, but if I owned a PS4 I would have rather gotten that version.  Now that it's so easy to get my Steam games on my living room TV though, there's even less of a difference between buying a console or a PC version of a game than the already small difference there was.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 03:27:13 PM »

I can't remember the last time I played a console game on a console.  Most of the console games I enjoy are being released on the PC, and with the insane price drops and sales on steam, it's just cheaper overall for me to go with the PC version.  Being able to just plug and hdmi cable into my laptop and then into my hdtv to play would essentially remove almost any need I have for a console in the first place. 

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 22, 2014, 03:27:13 PM

I can't remember the last time I played a console game on a console.  Most of the console games I enjoy are being released on the PC, and with the insane price drops and sales on steam, it's just cheaper overall for me to go with the PC version.  Being able to just plug and hdmi cable into my laptop and then into my hdtv to play would essentially remove almost any need I have for a console in the first place. 

except playing them with friends and without cheaters slywink  This is why I still play console.  Single player games I fully agree with you though.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 22, 2014, 02:08:44 PM

2) home theater.  Unlike you, I don't have a 72 inch computer monitor attached to my desktop rig.  I do have a 42 inch HDTV in my living room though...and a laptop with an hdmi port.  

#2 is the prime reason I love this feature. My computer is upstairs and my TV downstairs. There's just some computer games I'd love to play from the TV on the couch. But there was no easy, inexpensive, way to do that. So this seems to resolve that problem. Will have to play with it a bit more but I was pretty excited to get it working, and so easily.

Would love for consoles to do something similar where you could stream from the console to any PC you have.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 04:50:13 PM »

I vote for Richie rich.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »

For me it's going to allow me to play PC games while downstairs watching TV with my wife. My wife has zero problems with me multi-tasking while watching our shows together, she just wants the company. I figure this will be awesome for letting me get in some casual gaming in of my Steam backlog while we're catching up on reruns. I tested it out with Arkham Origins today on my wife's laptop and it worked flawlessly.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 09:03:34 PM »

It would be awesome if this would work with a console and not just a laptop.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 09:06:53 PM »

I'm really exited to try this. I just got a great gaming PC. I'd like to keep it upstairs but my nice new BIG HDTV is down stairs. I could take my old PC and put that downstairs to stream games like Watch Dogs. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 09:08:48 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 22, 2014, 09:03:34 PM

It would be awesome if this would work with a console and not just a laptop.

I would love this as well, but it just seems like an impossible dream to have Sony or MS let Steam into their machines.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 11:02:52 PM »

Well, that was painless.  If you have a laptop with HDMI, just plug it right into your HDTV (or hdmi on your receiver, in my case) and away you go.  The streaming even over Wi-Fi was smooth as butter.  Now I have to go pick up a wireless mouse and keyboard for some Crusader Kings II and other games this weekend on my tv. 

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »

somewhat relatedly, you can kinda hack around to get streaming working on certain Android devices (including OUYA) using Limelight. haven't tried it myself, as my graphics card is not compatible:

http://ouyabrew.com/play-steam-games-ouya/

requirements:

GFE compatible computer with GTX 600/700 series GPU
    GeForce Experience app is installed on your PC.
    Android device running 4.1 (Jelly Bean) or higher
    High-end wireless router (802.11n dual-band recommended)
    Steam is enrolled in BETA updates
    Exynos/Snapdragon SoC OR Quad-Core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9 or higher (Tegra 3)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2505510
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 22, 2014, 01:24:48 PM

I'm guessing the answer is no, but can you stream games that you just have shortcuts for in Steam?  i.e. Guild Wars 2 isn't hosted by steam, but I have a shortcut IN my steam library for it.

Well, the answer is apparently yes.  According to the support forums they added streaming support for non-steam games a little while ago.  Guild Wars 2 on my hdtv tonight (hopefully)!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: