http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 11:46:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam auto-update questions  (Read 3553 times)
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2004, 11:41:52 PM »

How can I tell if the latest patches have been added?  If I go into the "Launch Games" menu and right mouse click HalfLife 2 it seems to show a history of my updates.  However, the last update it shows is in November. Supposedly there is a new update available that "finally" fixes the sound stuttering problem.  Thankfully, I have not been affected by this problem.  However, I am concerned that my steam may not be loading the improvements.  I have steam turned off because I don't like things running in the background.  When I do activate it manually, shouldn't it download the latest goodies?
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 12:19:52 AM »

If your Half-Life 2 Properties page there should be an option under Automatic Updatesfor "Always keep this game up to date."  Be sure it's checked.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 12:30:04 AM »

i run mine manually as well, and last night when I loaded it up, it started going crazy downloading something, and i could see the hard drive light showing a lot of activity, with nothing else going on.

I still have the stutters today though.  :?
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 04:56:13 PM »

When you guys go into the "play games" menu and right mouse click on HalfLife 2 and select "update news", what does it say that your latest update is?  Mine is "November 30" "bug fixes"
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 11:57:37 PM »

Quote from: "LucidSmoke"
When you guys go into the "play games" menu and right mouse click on HalfLife 2 and select "update news", what does it say that your latest update is?  Mine is "November 30" "bug fixes"

Same here. that thing has never been accurate.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 12:12:46 AM »

Quote from: "LucidSmoke"

Same here and I know I've been getting updates.
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 06:30:35 AM »

Thanks.  At least I know that things are normal on my end.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 04:46:32 PM »

That's weird.  Obviously you guys are hackers and are about to be banned by Valve.  Have fun playing Freecell!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 05:57:01 PM »

Steam and it's updating system are both retarded.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2004, 09:48:59 PM »

Thanks for sharing.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 08:23:23 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Thanks for sharing.

What a big warm fuzzy in this thread  biggrin

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 01:30:44 PM »

Mine just recently auto updated to include the latest patch.  I don't know when it downloaded exactly, but my Steam says it's up to date now.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
spatzi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 04:12:36 PM »

The latest update when I right click the menu is Jan 10. Sounds recent to me.
spatzi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 05:05:04 PM »

I just tried playing a few minutes of HL2 again after the recent Jan 10 updates. It didn't make any difference in the game. It's still choppy. Stuttering dialogue, same long loading times. Every time I walk into a new scene, it stutters. The first ten seconds of gman's opening montage, he stutters briefly. That was there before the patch, and it's still there. And I'm running on a 3.5 athlon64 with ATI x800xt card and gig of ram. Just ridiculous. I was hoping those bugs would have been fixed, so my second run through would be more pleasant, but there's no way I am going through this stuttering again. I bought this system to play this game, so I was not too happy to find out that a near  top of the line system still can't play the game smoothly, even after updates!
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 04:19:57 AM »

You probably already do this, but I will mention it just in case.  I was having some difficulty with some of my games until I performed an Adaware quarantine on my system.  Some of that spyware that everyone accumulates can really screw up your gaming.  I eliminated almost all of my "stutters" by eliminating spyware, dataminers, tracking cookies, etc.  It is a habit of mine to run AdAware checks almost daily. If you access the internet you WILL get crap on your system unless you use software to prevent it.  Funny, I was at my computer dealers shop the other day and he had a screenshot from Adaware showing that a customer had 53,000 forms of spyware on his system!!!  He wondered why his computer wasn't working anymore  :lol:
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 07:22:48 AM »

Quote from: "spatzi"
I just tried playing a few minutes of HL2 again after the recent Jan 10 updates. It didn't make any difference in the game. It's still choppy. Stuttering dialogue, same long loading times. Every time I walk into a new scene, it stutters. The first ten seconds of gman's opening montage, he stutters briefly. That was there before the patch, and it's still there. And I'm running on a 3.5 athlon64 with ATI x800xt card and gig of ram. Just ridiculous. I was hoping those bugs would have been fixed, so my second run through would be more pleasant, but there's no way I am going through this stuttering again. I bought this system to play this game, so I was not too happy to find out that a near  top of the line system still can't play the game smoothly, even after updates!

I have a much lower system than that and I run *very* smoothly after the patches.  There's gotta be another factor involved.  :?:

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 04:58:03 PM »

Yeah, but AdAware counts every cookie as a separate item.  Having a cookie on your machine is not going to slow down anything except making a HTTP request to the provider of that cookie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: