http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 11:30:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam (and Half-Life 2, I guess) question  (Read 1309 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 01, 2004, 05:39:15 AM »

How the hell do I know when Steam is updating or has already updated my games?  I tried looking through all of their options but absolutely can not find anything that lets me know if it's downloading anything or how to do it manually.  I'm not really fond of neither being in control of my updating programs nor being informed about what it is doing.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 05:41:39 AM »

Right-click on the steam icon in the tasktray and choose 'monitor'.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 05:41:59 AM »

Right-click on the game's name and choose Properties.

You can also use the Steam monitor, right click on the taskbar tray icon and choose Monitor.

It'll give you a breakdown of how much bandwidth it's using and what it's downloading.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 05:43:50 AM »

Just for a quick glance, if the Steam tray icon is the whole wrench, it's updating.  If it's a zoomed-in normal-looking, it's not.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 05:50:49 AM »

Also, you can right click HL2 in the Play Games list, choose properties, and choose to update manually, as opposed to auto-updates.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 10:02:47 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Also, you can right click HL2 in the Play Games list, choose properties, and choose to update manually, as opposed to auto-updates.

I don't actually have that option.  In the game properties it just has buttons for "Launch Options", "Delete Local Game Contnet" and "Backup Files".  There is also a drop box that lets me choose to auto-update or not, but nothing about manually updating.

And the Monitor just shows that Half-Life 2 game is completely downloaded, it doesn't mention anything about patches or updates.  Since I don't run Steam unless I'm playing HL2 and I haven't played that in days there should be no way my system has already downloaded the updates released this week.  Hell, it doesn't even show the date that the downloads started or completed or anything.  

Stupid fucking Steam.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 11:23:01 PM »

So then, the next time you start Steam it will download any patches released for any Steam games you own since the last time you had it running. And it'll be obvious it's going on.  :wink:

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 06:02:57 PM »

Quote from: "MonkeyFinger"
So then, the next time you start Steam it will download any patches released for any Steam games you own since the last time you had it running. And it'll be obvious it's going on.  :wink:

No it won't, because I have started Steam up a couple times this week to see if it would download the updates and it hasn't done anything.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 02:34:40 AM »

Ok... all that means is you've already got them, or it happened during that long lull while it was 'connecting'.

Check the Steam News page:

Quote from: "December 2nd Valve"
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Source SDK, and Source Engine updates are available and will be applied automatically when Steam is restarted.

Quote from: "December 1st Valve"
A Source Engine update is available and will be applied automatically when Steam is restarted.

Quote from: "November 30th Valve"
A Half-Life 2 update has been released via Steam. Please restart Steam to apply the update.

Maybe not all that obvious all the time, but as you can see it only happens when you restart Steam.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 12:41:29 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

Hey Jeff, when I go into that the Automatic Update is greyed out and I can't set it to manually update. Any thoughts on this?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: