http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 08:03:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Planescape: Torment (no spoilers please!) - FINISHED!!  (Read 14339 times)
Freezer-TPF-
Gaming Trend Senior Member

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 09:04:53 PM »

Does PS:T have a decent Quest Journal?  I cannot remember.  You aren't always expected to know how to resolve a quest at the instant you receive it.  Normally as you continue exploring you will find relevant clues or items, and usually the Quest Journal and object descriptions will help you connect the dots, so to speak.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 09:14:14 PM »

PS:T has a great quest journal.  Not only does it keep track of quests, it keeps track of characters and monsters and (I think) other stuff too.  All with incredible art.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 09:53:47 PM »

Hmmm, I can't get that widescreen mod to install. It keeps giving me an error after I enter the resolution I want. I took the entire folder off of read only and turned of UAC (in Vista). I also did a full install. Any thoughts?

Bael
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 10:11:36 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on June 12, 2008, 09:53:47 PM

Hmmm, I can't get that widescreen mod to install. It keeps giving me an error after I enter the resolution I want. I took the entire folder off of read only and turned of UAC (in Vista). I also did a full install. Any thoughts?

Do you have the 4-disc or 2-disc version?  Apparently Jeff had some trouble with it as well, but was able to work around it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2008, 05:49:21 AM »

Don't worry about Str or Dex - use tattoos to level those up. Focus on Wisdom, Int. and maybe some Charisma. In that order. The wonderful conversations this game unlocks as a result are unbelievable. I love this game and I honestly and going to DL the patch to play it in the higher res.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
monkyskunk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2008, 06:12:58 AM »

Quote from: baelthazar on June 12, 2008, 09:53:47 PM

Bael

I was having the same problem with my 4 disc full install until I ran the patch to update to version 1.1. But after successfully installing the widescreen mod, I tried to run it and my screen was all jacked up, so I am back to square one. icon_confused
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2008, 11:37:20 AM »

I have a question for the assembly:

What mods would you suggest for a first play through?
Do you folks like the Tweak pack from Gibberling 3?
How does that compare to the ones posted by Gratch?
The widescreen mod (obviously)
Anything else?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2008, 02:12:09 PM »

Got through to the Lower Ward last night.  Thankfully, the story picked right back up after the incredibly dull Dead and Drowned Nations bits, and really sucked me in again.  The part with the
Spoiler for Hiden:
pregnant alleyway
was one of the more bizzare game sequences I've ever seen, but was very cool.  It also lead to one of my favorite quotes from Morte:

Spoiler for Hiden:
"If this alley is pregnant, what part are we standing in right now?"   icon_lol

My only problem now is having entirely too many quests to keep track of.  Seems like every single NPC I meet in the lower ward has something for me to do, and trying to keep them all straight has been a bit difficult.    I'm trying to finish all the side-quests before moving on, but I'm not sure which one of them actually advances the story.  Once again, multiple save slots to the rescue.

Does anyone have any details on the "storage bin" that Kyosho mentions here.  I dropped a certain Dustman's skull because I thought I was done with it (used it to complete a quest in Dead Nations), but now I find out that I could have used it for another quest in the Lower Ward (btw, I hate it when games do that!).  Having some sort of storage unit would be a lifesaver for storing all these seemingly random things I don't know if I'll need again.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:29:22 PM by Gratch » Logged

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2008, 02:26:38 PM »

I've had to back the widescreen hack down to 1024x768. Anything "wider" than that and the font is too hard on my poor eyes, even switching between the hover font and the default (I prefer the default). So, I had to give up a lot of viewing area and prettiness, but it's still a big improvement over 640x480.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2008, 02:53:46 PM »

Grrr.... I got so frustrated with it I removed all of the files. I guess I will try again. When you all Full Install from 4 disks, to you just put disks 2-4 into a C:\pstdsk folder or do you put them in with the rest of the torment files?

I am also guessing this 1.1 is the OFFICIAL patch? I run that, then I run the widescreen mod, then all of the additional mods? I accidentally install the easter egg Morte and got a surprise last night... What does the leprechaun Annah mod do?

Yeah, that part mentioned above is certainly unique. Although maybe the even the most unique thing in PS:T.  icon_biggrin

I actually played PnP Planescape once. That was a STRANGE time. I was a tiefling Sensate Cleric of Sune(this was back in 2.5 rules days). Basically, my character tried to sleep with every female NPC in the game. About 1/2 of every PnP experience is about creating a character whose actions will perplex and irritate the DM.  slywink

Bael
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »

What does the leprechaun Annah mod do?

I skipped that mod, but I'm guessing it does this:

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2008, 03:11:29 PM »

BTW, did you catch who the voice actors are. These are not just some crappy 2-bit people, these are serious stars.

Annah:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Sheena Easton

Dak'kon:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Mitch Pileggi (Assistant Director Skinner from X-Files

Character not mentioned yet:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Trias is John Delancie - Q from Star Trek:TNG

Another Character not mentioned yet:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Nodrom is Dan Castellaneta - Homer from the Simpsons

Fall-from-Grace:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Jennifer Hale - the much used voice actor in such games as Mass Effect and Metroid Prime

Last character not mentioned:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Vhailor - Keith David, the venerable voice actor and all around "creepy voice guy" in movies and games.

Note - the Spoiler tags above contain only character names and their voice actors, but look at them at your own risk if you don't want to even know the names of important characters in the game.

And that pic is AWESOME... I love Annah!

Bael
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on June 13, 2008, 02:53:46 PM

Grrr.... I got so frustrated with it I removed all of the files. I guess I will try again. When you all Full Install from 4 disks, to you just put disks 2-4 into a C:\pstdsk folder or do you put them in with the rest of the torment files?

I think you can isntall anywhere. I put mine in folders off of the main Torment folder (cd2, cd3, cd4). Then updated my torment.ini to point CD2,3,4 to those dirs.

I am also guessing this 1.1 is the OFFICIAL patch? I run that, then I run the widescreen mod, then all of the additional mods? I accidentally install the easter egg Morte and got a surprise last night... What does the leprechaun Annah mod do?

Yes 1.1 is the official patch which is shipped on the 2 CD version. You are supposed to install 1.1 before trying any of the fan mods, including the widescreen patch.

-John

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2008, 12:46:16 AM »

Got it to work, although I get some black boxes around some of the effects. I also have to run it at 1024x768, because the font is kinda tiny. Otherwise, good show.

Bael
monkyskunk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2008, 01:03:26 AM »

Here's what mine looks like when I try to run the game after installing the wide screen mod. Wonder what gives? icon_confused
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:06:57 AM by monkyskunk » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2008, 02:16:16 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on June 13, 2008, 03:11:29 PM

BTW, did you catch who the voice actors are. These are not just some crappy 2-bit people, these are serious stars.

Holy crap! I knew that Planescape had some well known voice actors, but...I didn't remember the extent of the list. Wow!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2008, 03:52:47 PM »

The guy who does the voice of the main character The Nameless One is the guy who starred on "Pretender."

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2008, 04:30:12 PM »

Quote from: monkyskunk on June 14, 2008, 01:03:26 AM

Here's what mine looks like when I try to run the game after installing the wide screen mod. Wonder what gives? icon_confused

I think you can only use widescreen dimensions that your video card natively supports (if it doesn't show up under Display Properties/Settings/Screen Resolution you can't use it)
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2008, 04:41:08 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on June 14, 2008, 12:46:16 AM

Got it to work, although I get some black boxes around some of the effects. I also have to run it at 1024x768, because the font is kinda tiny. Otherwise, good show.

Bael
If you turn on software dithering, it should fix the black boxes.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2008, 05:55:30 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 14, 2008, 02:16:16 PM

Quote from: baelthazar on June 13, 2008, 03:11:29 PM

Holy crap! I knew that Planescape had some well known voice actors, but...I didn't remember the extent of the list. Wow!

Even more that who they picked, I'm curious how they picked them.   Who on earth would have said:

"One of our characters is a female half-demon thief with a tail and a smart-ass attitude.  Who should we use for the voice?"
"I know...SHEENA EASTON!"

She does do a hell of a job though.

monkyskunk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2008, 11:28:26 PM »

Quote from: Laner on June 14, 2008, 04:30:12 PM

Quote from: monkyskunk on June 14, 2008, 01:03:26 AM

I think you can only use widescreen dimensions that your video card natively supports (if it doesn't show up under Display Properties/Settings/Screen Resolution you can't use it)

You're absolutely right. Thanks, I would have never figured that out
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2008, 12:03:12 PM »

Would the game interface allow you to play in portrait mode?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2008, 01:14:39 AM »

Sheesh, I just spent nearly 3 hours questing in the lower ward.  The amount of stuff to do in this game is staggering and a bit intimidating.  I hate leaving quests unfinished, so I've been tying up nearly every loose end I can find.  Feels like I'm chasing my tail sometimes, but it's very satisfying when they're done.

I have the week off work, and my goal is to finish the game before this break is over.  Looks (from the FAQ) like I'm about 2/3 of the way through, so I think it may actually happen.

me
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2008, 02:15:55 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 17, 2008, 01:14:39 AM

Sheesh, I just spent nearly 3 hours questing in the lower ward.  The amount of stuff to do in this game is staggering and a bit intimidating.  I hate leaving quests unfinished, so I've been tying up nearly every loose end I can find.  Feels like I'm chasing my tail sometimes, but it's very satisfying when they're done.

In many RPG's, the whole goal of completing quests is to get closer to leveling up, or getting that awesome piece of loot. I think what made each quest in PT so special was that I strove to complete each quest because I wanted to see more of the story unravel.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2008, 02:38:38 AM »

Quote from: me on June 17, 2008, 02:15:55 AM

In many RPG's, the whole goal of completing quests is to get closer to leveling up, or getting that awesome piece of loot. I think what made each quest in PT so special was that I strove to complete each quest because I wanted to see more of the story unravel.

That is a truly excellent way of saying it.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2008, 03:32:42 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 17, 2008, 02:38:38 AM

That is a truly excellent way of saying it.

+1

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »

That's an interesting observation.  Now that I think of it, this is the first RPG I can think of that I honestly have no idea what level my characters are.  I also haven't paid much attention to things like additional skills or spells, yet I just about jumped out of my chair when an NPC gave me a +1 Wisdom bonus. That has never happened before in any other RPG I've ever played.

Two Sheds
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2008, 06:52:50 PM »

I've played through PS:T 3 times, I think. This widescreen mod and those tweaks/patches, coupled with this thread are making me really want to go for a fourth.

Then you people start talking about BG2, and I start itching to reinstall that as well. I've got a NWN2 expansion to (start and) finish, damn it!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2008, 12:31:20 AM »

So, does anyone know if there is a way to make this game support the mouse wheel for scrolling through text, journal, saves, etc.?

-John

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2008, 01:09:24 AM »

WTF?  I just got to
Spoiler for Hiden:
Modron Maze
and am completely stuck.  I know I need to find the room with all the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Modron's so I can reset the thing to hard mode, find Nordom, track down the  evil wizard, then get out.
   Problem is...that room doesn't exist!  I've gone through the entire dungeon 4 times and every passage just leads me to dead-end rooms.  Since this part is randomly generated, I'm really hoping there isn't a bug that causes that main room not to be created.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2008, 04:24:48 PM »

Whoever designed the

Spoiler for Hiden:
Modron's Cube deserves a serious kick in the nuts.   This level is a complete turd that has been dropped smack in the middle of a brilliant game.  Since it's randomly generated, I figured I should map the thing so I don't get lost.  I have now spent 2 hours wandering through 59 identical rooms, fighting identical enemies over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.  And I'm now to the point where I can't seem to find any sort of exit, but have explored every single possible room I have been able to locate.

Seriously, fuck this level.  Who in their right mind thought this would be a good idea?   icon_confused  As much as I love the character you get in there, if I can't figure it out soon, I'm just going to reload an earlier save  and just skip it entirely. 

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2008, 05:24:27 PM »

Wish I could help man, don't know the maze well enough-you tried all the FAQs you can?
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2008, 09:00:49 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 18, 2008, 05:24:27 PM

Wish I could help man, don't know the maze well enough-you tried all the FAQs you can?

It's randomly generated.  You pretty much need to map it by hand and make note of the exits each room has so you can be sure that you have hit all of them and have gone through every room.  It's kind of a pain but not that bad if you sketch out a simple map.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2008, 12:34:53 AM »

I don't recall having much trouble with that particular part. If I recall, there is a "trick" to it.
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2008, 01:03:48 AM »

The Gamebanshee walkthrough for the Modron Maze (and just the maze) is here:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/planescapetorment/walkthrough/modronmaze.php

Pretty helpful if you want to get moving through it again. Don't let the maze keep you from the rest of the gaming goodness.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2008, 02:06:03 AM »

Thanks guys, I got through it.  Finally.  The room with the boss was the very last room of the very last branch I explored.  Funny thing is, if I had taken a left instead of a right at the first intersection, it would have taken me right to it and I could have skipped the other 50 or so rooms entirely!  The XP was good, but that whole section was a piss-poor design decision if you ask me.

Moving on, I just finished with
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ravel's Maze and arrived at Curst.  Things are getting very interesting now, especially between me and some of my squadmates.  Annah annoys the hell out of me, but Fall-From-Grace...how you doin'?  unibrow  They actually got pissed off enough at each other that Annah left and I had to lie to her to get her to rejoin the party.  Thought that was a nice touch, even if it made me a bit more chaotic than I would have liked.   I'm a bit torn on what to do with some of the other characters I'll be acquiring soon, as I really like my current lineup:  Nameless One (fighter), Dak'kon (fighter/mage), Annah (theif), Fall-From-Grace (Cleric), Morte (fighter), Nordom (ranged fighter).  So far, the only person I've left behind is Ingus, but I skipped ahead in the FAQ and looked at some of the NPC's I'll be picking up.  Any suggestions on party makeup? 

BTW, Nordom rivals HK-47 (KotOR) as the greatest robot character ever.

I'm very intrigued to see where the story goes now.  It amazes me that I played for probably 5 hours last night and this morning without getting into a single battle...and I was completely OK with it.  In fact, I actually enjoyed it more than most other combat-heavy CRPG's I've played.  What a completely unique experience this has been.  I know it's cliche, but they simply don't make them like this anymore.  More's the pity.

Unfortunately, I've got the dreaded "Infinity Engine headache" (I'm pretty sure this is a certified medical condition), and am probably done for the night. Will pick it up again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:56:59 AM by Gratch » Logged

beds
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2008, 04:38:52 AM »

All of this talk has got me very fired up about starting up P:T again.  I had to stop a few months ago when a hard drive crash wiped out my save games (Doh!).  Many thanks to Gratch for helping me out so that I didn't have to start from scratch again - you're a prince among men.  Happy to see you're making progress again.  By the way, I notice you've changed your signature...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2008, 01:59:11 PM »

Quote from: beds on June 19, 2008, 04:38:52 AM

All of this talk has got me very fired up about starting up P:T again.  I had to stop a few months ago when a hard drive crash wiped out my save games (Doh!).  Many thanks to Gratch for helping me out so that I didn't have to start from scratch again - you're a prince among men.  Happy to see you're making progress again.  By the way, I notice you've changed your signature...

Were you able to get that save file to work?

beds
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »

I did, thanks.  It took some doing.  Essentially, I had to backtrack through this thread and make sure I applied all of the mods that you used on your system.  After that, the file worked fine!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2008, 03:34:51 PM »

I finally found my copy of the game, and after some gnashing of teeth
I did get it working last night. The text was a bit small at 1680*1050,
so I'll have to try a different resolution. I only had one crash, when I
tried to put on a robe. After loading the autosave I was able to do it, though.
I didn't get far, still in the mausoleum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: