http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:30:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Started up Chrono Trigger again  (Read 3741 times)
unbreakable
« on: February 14, 2006, 12:32:04 AM »

I love CT, and havent played it in years.

I just got back from saving the Queen!
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 12:45:17 AM »

Oh man, I LOVE that game.  biggrin  One of my top two from the SNES era, and I hold it as the best-paced console RPG ever made.  In all other respects it's fantastic as well, but it's the top of the pile when it comes to pacing.

Yeah, I'm a pacing whore.  Best-paced film of all time?  Men in Black.  Period.  I can totally justify that reasoning too.  I'm not saying it's my favorite film, just the best-paced one I've ever seen.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 12:57:38 AM »

Love it as well.  Awesome, awesome game.  I love the graphics too - I think they've held up nicely through the years!  Really memorable music too.

Frog rocks.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 01:41:15 AM »

While its a fantastic game all around, the soundtrack is truly in a class of its own.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 01:53:43 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
While its a fantastic game all around, the soundtrack is truly in a class of its own.

Yeppers.  Such an amazing soundtrack.

I can't wait till they re-release this (presumably) for the GBA or DS.
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 02:10:23 AM »

You know, after all these years, I think if Square were going to release it on a handheld, they already would have.

That's fine.  To me, console RPGs hit their high-point with the SNES.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 03:08:32 AM »

Nah, I'll bet we get a Chrono Trigger GBA or DS release within the next two years.  The GBA was on the market for years until Square stepped up to the plate and now within just two years will see the release of FF1&2, FFIV, FFV, FF3 DS, and maybe even FFVI.  I'd guess Chrono Trigger would be next on the list.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 03:09:49 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
You know, after all these years, I think if Square were going to release it on a handheld, they already would have.

Well I thought so too but they're going back and re-releasing a lot of their old RPG's like FF3, FF4 and FF6.  Here's hoping!

To me, console RPGs hit their high-point with the SNES.

You and I couldn't possibly be any more in agreement.  There's just something missing from today's RPG's.  Maybe that's why I like Dragon Quest VII so much - it's really a very old school game.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 03:15:58 AM »

I love CT, and havent played it in years.

I just got back from saving the Queen!

Are you F'ning serious?

I started it back up yesterday as well and I just got back from saving the Queen and I havent played it in years!!

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 03:23:35 AM »

I've probably started Chrono Trigger 10 times between the original and the PSOne version, but I've never made it more than halfway through.  For some reason, it's never captured my interest.  All the ingredients are there, but it just never "clicked" with me.  I do intend to finish it someday though (perhaps on start number 11 slywink).

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 03:26:25 AM »

Quote from: "warning"

You and I couldn't possibly be any more in agreement.  There's just something missing from today's RPG's.  Maybe that's why I like Dragon Quest VII so much - it's really a very old school game.

We're all from the 'old school' days apparently, as I agree with you both. Man, did I love Chrono Trigger. And pretty much every other RPG released around those days.

Random question - did you find that out of all the next generation Final Fantasy games (FFVII to FFXI), you liked FF9 the most?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 04:18:56 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

We're all from the 'old school' days apparently, as I agree with you both. Man, did I love Chrono Trigger. And pretty much every other RPG released around those days.

Random question - did you find that out of all the next generation Final Fantasy games (FFVII to FFXI), you liked FF9 the most?

Yup.   biggrin
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 05:52:30 AM »

Holy crap; same here on the SNES RPG era, and FFIX being my favorite of the "next-gen" Final Fantasies.  biggrin

I do think that the PS1 had a nice batch of RPG's as well, so I think the peak was somewhere around the SNES/PS1 era.  (PS1 notables:  both Lunar games and Grandia, though those were all ports/remakes of Sega-based rpg's)

unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 06:54:05 AM »

Yeah, PS1 had some pretty good RPGs, dont get me wrong.  But the SNES just had... it.  I dunno.  If I were to make my perfect game, it would probably be a SNES looking, sprite based game.  BOF was pretty high on my list as well.  I would probably make something a lot like the original Ultima if I were just going for a hack fighting RPG.

FF9 just never clicked.  Maybe it was just the timing of when I started it.  I'm not sure, but I think I started FFXI around that time, and moved on to WoW when it came out.  I know something diverted my attention.

--

Oh, and I just got past Proto Dome.

Quote from: "Darren8r"
Are you F'ning serious?

I started it back up yesterday as well and I just got back from saving the Queen and I havent played it in years!!

Ok, everyone fire up CT!!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 07:00:54 AM »

By some strange coincidence I fired up CT about a week ago. I just made it to Zeal a few minutes ago.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 07:05:47 AM »

By some strange coincidence I fired up CT about a week ago. I just made it to Zeal a few minutes ago.

Its what all the cool gamers are playing these days Tongue

I played alot today and I just got to 12, 000 BC. I shed a tear when Frog left, I miss his big sword killing people.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 07:16:44 AM »

I've been playing console RPGs since the first Dragon Warrior, and as much as I fondly remember those games, IMO, today's games blow them out of the water in every way imaginable.  To me, RPGs just keep getting better, and almost all of my all-time favorite RPGs are on the PS2.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 12:12:40 PM »

I actually use the Crono Trigger theme as my ringtone, it's the song that usually plays when the whole party is about to do something big. I love that song...

I'm gonna have to say that CT is easily in the top 3 alltime. This game has more of "it" than pretty much any other Rpg. You couldn't ask for better done characters a more engaging storyline and an emotional bond that's not cheap or forced on you like a lot of todays games. Add onto that the time element and how certain things change in the future when you mess with the past. Oh yeah and 13 well done endings doesn't hurt either.

I can't think of any RPG this generation that has as much "soul" as CT, some come close, but none surpass or equal it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 02:00:54 PM »

Amen, Tebunker.  smile

Dammit, now I have to go start replaying CT again asap!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 02:19:21 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Dammit, now I have to go start replaying CT again asap!

I don't have the time to play yet another RPG! Stop trying to convince me to go retro now too! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 04:06:42 PM »

Are you guys playing with the PS1 rerelease? I wanted to get it but cant find it anywhere.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 04:17:52 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Are you guys playing with the PS1 rerelease? I wanted to get it but cant find it anywhere.

I'm playing the SNES release via emulation on a laptop.  The PS1 release has some very horrible menu load times that make it almost unplayable to me.  I've read that can largely be alleviated if you rip the disk to an ISO and play it on ePSXe but I've never bothered.

That said, if you can get rid of the load times the PS1 version would be the best version to play since it has some very nicely animated cutscenes and a few other neat extras.  But the original SNES version certainly does the trick.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 04:57:43 PM »

I'm playing the SNES release via emulation on a laptop.  The PS1 release has some very horrible menu load times that make it almost unplayable to me.  I've read that can largely be alleviated if you rip the disk to an ISO and play it on ePSXe but I've never bothered.

That said, if you can get rid of the load times the PS1 version would be the best version to play since it has some very nicely animated cutscenes and a few other neat extras.  But the original SNES version certainly does the trick.

Thanks Kevin, I will look for both. BTW, I had to give up on FF9 because I encountered a crash with EPSXE about 5 hours in that I can't seem to get around. Maybe one day I will get back to it on my actual PS2, but too much is out right now to worry about it smile
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 07:12:34 PM »

I actually have both versions, the PS1 rerelease and the SNES version.  I will stick with the SNES version until the battery in it dies and is irreplaceable because of the issues mentioned above regarding the poor quality of the port.  I'm also quite anal retentive about the music and sound, and found that all the SNES Square ports to the PS1 suffered from tinny and/or poorly emulated MIDI instrumentation compared to the music as it was composed for the SNES's sound chip.  To me, it's most notable with FFVI and Chrono Trigger on the PS1.

unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 08:50:11 PM »

I have my game on a USB drive.  Awesome being able to play it wherever I go.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 08:55:43 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"

I actually have both versions, the PS1 rerelease and the SNES version.  I will stick with the SNES version until the battery in it dies and is irreplaceable because of the issues mentioned above regarding the poor quality of the port.  I'm also quite anal retentive about the music and sound, and found that all the SNES Square ports to the PS1 suffered from tinny and/or poorly emulated MIDI instrumentation compared to the music as it was composed for the SNES's sound chip.  To me, it's most notable with FFVI and Chrono Trigger on the PS1.

Yeah, it was kind of hard playing through FFVI on the PSX with the long load times, weird slow-down ever so often, and kinda "off" music like you were describing.  Plus I think the clock is off in that game as well . . . I think it's slow.  I would sit down for an hour and play and it would only clock around 30 minutes or so.  Pretty weird.

But I <3 FFVI, so I got through it   biggrin   They included some pretty nifty CG sequences though.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 09:23:06 PM »

Yes thats what I'm playing. I got a burned copy from a friend, who got it from his sisters boy friend at the time, who was a big Video Gamer/PC guy. The load times arent to bad in the version I have, pretty much the same as the SNES version.

I could direct you in the right direction if you needed some help finding a copy. Wink, wink.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 09:54:15 PM »

I could direct you in the right direction if you needed some help finding a copy. Wink, wink.

Be very, very careful here.

From the Code of Conduct
Piracy/Warez Links
Any links to piracy, warez or mentioning where to go to get information to do such things (even using creativity in posts to let people know where to go) is not permitted. Discussions can happen, but any links will not be tolerated. 1st violation will result in the link being removed and a warning being issued to the offender. 2nd violation will result in the same thing in addition to a 1 week suspension. 3rd violation will result in an immediate banning of the offender. Use your head – use the PM function.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 01:58:23 AM »

Be very, very careful here.

Whoops sorry.

Yes I thought I would get touchy there, I'm not planning on putting up any links or anything so you dont have to worry about that.

I'll fly to wherever Calvin lives and lend him my game for a few weeks.

unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 04:53:51 AM »

FYI:  I just acquired both parts of the Masamune.  Will be heading to 65,000,000 BC next time I play!
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 05:00:12 AM »

FYI:  I just acquired both parts of the Masamune.  Will be heading to 65,000,000 BC next time I play!

Progress report on my end:
-Got Masamune
-Got Frog
-Stormed Magus' castle
-Aquired Ayla
-Went to some other place(I dont know, but its the Zeal place)
    Stuck at this new world. The place with the Airship. GameFAQs!!!

unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 08:47:35 AM »

I just hooked up Frog with the Masamune.

I usually only play it at work, but I felt compelled!
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 08:02:54 PM »

Just killed the Mammon machine.  Lost a member of the party... for now...
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2006, 08:10:18 PM »

Just killed the Mammon machine.  Lost a member of the party... for now...

Dude, that was the moment when I knew without a doubt that this game would be an all-time classic.   Cool

And gorramit you guys, now after all this retro-lovin', I've gotta hook up my SNES again and play this game all proper-like.

...I'll be in my bunk.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2006, 08:32:33 PM »

I haven't been back to this since my hiatus.

Is the boss fight SUPER impossible if you're not the right level?
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2006, 08:37:56 PM »

I know it would be annoying to purchase again, but I wish they would just port it for the DS..it's well needed.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
unbreakable
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 08:55:04 PM »

I was actually looking at devices which would let you play... other stuff... on a DS.

If they won't port Chrono Trigger, I'll just persue alternatives.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 06:45:32 PM »

Man, I was playing this too just recently!  I actually got all the way to Lavos, but couldn't beat him.  Such a great game.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 07:07:23 PM »

Whats funny if one were so inclined they could play it on their PSP, though I hope for an official re-release as well.

Ascendent
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 10:55:22 PM »

A question about the PS1 ports of CT and FFVI etc.

Were the load times any better playing them on the PS2?  Is there some kind of enhanced mode that speeds it up?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: