http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 09:25:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stardrive  (Read 726 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:34:16 AM »

an new real time 4X space game funded through kickstarter and crowd sourcing.  it sounds interesting, with an emphasis on ship design, and there's a link in the article where you can order the game for alpha access.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »

Now available on Steam with access to the beta included.  plus it's discounted 15%.  says release date is 4/19

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220660/

looks interesting.  found a lengthy play video on youtube which fleshes out some of the basics.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »

In!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:11:35 PM »

This is in my wheelhouse.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:17:41 PM »

I just got this as a gift.  Very early impressions are excellent.  I'll report more after I've spent some quality time with the game.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 04:24:46 PM »

Jarrodhk and I bought this yesterday. Will try later today, I think Jarrod has played a bit already and has favorable impressions.

Semper Fidelis

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 07:38:04 AM »

I also got this as a gift, quite unexpected too.

I've spent about an hour and a half in it.  first impressions are, this game has more detail than I expected.  Very impressed so far.  the fleet management screen is probably the best I've seen as it is more than just a formation/control group, it allows you to build the fleet from scratch and requisition the ships without having to manage that yourself.  it also allows you to specify targets by size and range. 

the ship designer is also far more detailed.  weapon arcs, power management and individual item modeling, so having a power supply blow up near your other components damages those ones and could cause chain reactions, unless you buffer the internal structures. I've gone into some of the designs people have come up with and there's some pretty original ones, like putting all your weapons on one side, armoring the bejeesus out of the other and setting the ship to orbit. 

I spent a good chunk designing even the early ships you research and after seeing what people have thought of, I'm already looking to scrap and rebuild them. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »

Wow this game only got $17,000 on Kickstarter. We could have had a copy of the game for only $10! Missed out on a good deal there.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »

man, the early game is punishing.  it's almost a guarantee that the first race you meet will want to go to war with you within 10 years after you meet them and is usually no more than 4 stars away.  I've also noticed how quickly they expand.  before I had researched through 3 of the usual starter techs, I'd run across the robot/Owl collective race and they had already claimed 4 other systems.  I think my usual routine of teching up with small expansion to good planets may not be as effective as pumping out colony ships and scouting everything within 4 stars out. 

I also had the misfortune to have a core world rebel on me in my first game, which promptly signaled the damn wolves that I was a target, who then colonized planets in my existing systems and then threatened war unless I left. 

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »

Yeah I've had to abandon a few games due to seemingly bad luck with my neighbors. I'm doing much better this time around even while being outnumbered (population and colony worlds) due to my superior ship tech.

Semper Fidelis

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 10, 2013, 12:17:41 PM

I just got this as a gift.  Very early impressions are excellent.  I'll report more after I've spent some quality time with the game.

AAR
AAR
AAR

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »

You're six months early for Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 09:54:41 PM »

I picked this up the other day on Steam. Got it on the tail end of the sale. Pretty darn good, the ship construction part of it and the combat is definitely the high point of it. I've stayed up way too late playing it over the weekend....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: