http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 01:29:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stardock to continue Master of Orion and Star Control?  (Read 1292 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »

Oh hell yes:

"I actually pitched Atari on a whole idea for a true successor to Star Control," CEO Brad Wardell tells Gamasutra, noting that the game would follow original series developer Toys for Bob's Star Control II rather than the Legend Entertainment-developed Star Control 3 ("We just pretend that never happened," the CEO says of that release).

The exploration-driven space strategy game is said to have influenced Stardock's Galactic Civilizations series as well as Ironclad Games' Sins of a Solar Empire, also published by Stardock.

Novato, California-based Toys for Bob has actually floated the idea of making its own Star Control II sequel, with co-creator Paul Reiche III indicating he has tossed potential design ideas around, but with the company now owned by publisher Activision the proposal seems to be stuck in limbo.

Wardell also mentioned Simtex's Master of Orion as a franchise he would like to see Stardock continue. Like Star Control, its third entry was developed by a different studio -- in this case, Quicksilver Software -- and was not as well-regarded as the original games.

I would SO snatch up both games in an instant if this happened.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:38:16 PM »

It's nice to at least see them discussing this openly, perhaps igniting some interest in the franchises even if they don't get to mess around with them themselves. Star Control 3 would be problematic for them though. Activision currently owns the rights to the Star Control name, while Toys for Bob owns the rights to everything else in the game's universe. It would be impossible for them to create a true sequel without the blessing of both those companies, and I don't see Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford agreeing to such a thing without nearly total creative control in their hands. Considering the hostile history between those two and Activision, I also find it unlikely that getting the latter on board will be easy. Activision used Star Control 3 as a stepping stone towards getting rid of all the properties owned by Toys For Bob (by introducing new races and gradually removing those owned by TFB), and StarCon (Star Control 4, which was cancelled) was to be the final nail in the coffin for TFB's ability to involve themselves.

That Stardock is interested in Star Control isn't news, nor is it really all that realistic at the moment. Even so, it is intriguing, and I will continue to watch the progress with interest.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »

i would buy up a stardock sequel to star con 2 in a hearbeat, even if i never got the huge blocks of time to devote to it like i did sc2. 

moo is a perfect fit, even if it takes away from gc's fanbase.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 10:36:31 PM »

Master...of... Orion? With...freaking Stardock? Gods....IN!!!!  icon_eek

I followed Master of ORion 3 very, very closely, even got a press copy to review, and...refused to do it, when I saw what they'd done with it...

Brad WArdell is the RIGHT person to head another Moo game...

Btw...anyone here ever wondered at the company's name? Stardock?  icon_wink

A new one
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »

Stardock would be just about the best developer I could think to do a new SC game. Not sure of the purpose for a new MOO game since Gal Civ is in the same genre. Kind of redundant IMO unless they feel the MOO name still has weight(which I'm not sure of after MOO 3's release).
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 01:40:37 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 18, 2008, 01:37:13 PM

Stardock would be just about the best developer I could think to do a new SC game. Not sure of the purpose for a new MOO game since Gal Civ is in the same genre. Kind of redundant IMO unless they feel the MOO name still has weight(which I'm not sure of after MOO 3's release).

galciv is nothing like MOO as I see it

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:44:02 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 18, 2008, 01:40:37 PM

eh?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:48:48 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 18, 2008, 01:44:02 PM

eh?

okay, its probably a lot more about feeling, than actual gameplay, but I still feel they are two different beasts, kinda like two FPS's are different.

A new one
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 04:24:01 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 18, 2008, 01:48:48 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 18, 2008, 01:44:02 PM

eh?

okay, its probably a lot more about feeling, than actual gameplay, but I still feel they are two different beasts, kinda like two FPS's are different.

The only substantial difference is tactical ship combat.

After MOO3, I think GalCiv is actually the stronger brand now. I don't know how they'd differentiate MOO4 from GalCiv3, except possibly with tactical combat. But then, I'm not Brad Wardell, either. Presumably he's thought about that.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 08:35:04 PM »

He took the opportunity to deliver some stern words to those entrusted with a series they did not create: "If you're making a game that ends with '3,' or Something: The Sequel, it should be similar to the original game," he claimed.

Wardell noted: "Don't go off and say, 'I have my own artistic vision.' Okay, good -- so call it something else. Don't ride the coattails of the people who came before you to launch your own artistic vision."

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 08:59:03 PM »

Kathode, get back in your bunker and start making Shadowrun, or Fallout with MAGIC! ;.)

A new one
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 09:54:50 PM »

I'd love to see a new Master of Orion that was similar to the first one.  It was elegantly simple, whereas I found MOO2 needlessly complicated.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: