http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 07:48:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starcraft : Ghost cancelled  (Read 1331 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2006, 02:34:24 AM »

According to Worthplaying, although it may resurface as a next-gen game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 02:56:25 AM »

That is great and bad at the same time.  I wanted Ghost to be great, and Blizz won't settle for anything else - good to see they'd rather re-build than put out trash product.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 03:06:44 AM »

Nooooo...
When I played at the last year E3 show it was really great.
Maybe they are working on XBOX360 version? I hope so...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 03:10:11 AM »

Does this actually surprise anyone?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 03:15:51 AM »

Maybe elements of Ghost will resurface in Starcraft 2.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 03:17:40 AM »

that's the bad news... the good news is that duke nukem still alive'n'well  :? ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 04:44:25 AM »

I predict Blizzard will never outsource any job bigger than a port from now on.  And honestly, they probably will never need help with that, either.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 05:04:37 AM »

Wow, good for Blizzard to pull the plug if the game isn't up to snuff, even after putting so much time and money into the project. That's integrity right there, folks.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 05:08:58 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I predict Blizzard will never outsource any job bigger than a port from now on.  And honestly, they probably will never need help with that, either.

Actually it's not outsourcing anymore- they purchased Swinging Ape studios (now called Blizzard Console), which makes this announcement rather bizarre since one would think they would be happy with their work if they decided to purchase them.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 05:33:34 AM »

This was really the last XBOX only game I was looking forward to.

Oh well.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 06:26:32 AM »

I don't see how pushing the game to next gen if it ever re-surfaces would make it suddenly "work". It sounds like some soft of "perfection syndrome" at Blizzard.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 07:13:19 AM »

So how about that sequel to Starcraft.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 08:05:55 AM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
I don't see how pushing the game to next gen if it ever re-surfaces would make it suddenly "work". It sounds like some soft of "perfection syndrome" at Blizzard.

You must have never seen the framerate gimmped, graphically neutered PS2 version that I saw.  If there was a game that needed a graphic overhaul it was that version.  In today's environment, if the gameplay is there but the graphics are crap, its gonna get panned.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 10:05:52 AM »

It's not that I have blind faith in Blizzard, but I do know that Blizzard has a very well established releasing very well polished games that while they may not innovate, they are certainly very fun.

They're also unafraid to can something, even if it's a long way into development, just to make sure that their record remains untarnished, and that's really saying something.

If you really think about it, SC Ghost would be perfect if entirely rebuilt for next gen consoles.

The next gen systems can handle massive amounts of troops on screen at the same time with a very long draw distance.  So, you could play as a ghost doing missions in the midst of battles straight out of the SC RTS.  For instance, you could play a ghost sneaking into a rebel base that's currently being swarmed by a zerg army, with thousands of zerglings running across a plain towards the base as marines mow them down.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 04:13:59 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Quote from: "Jumangi"

You must have never seen the framerate gimmped, graphically neutered PS2 version that I saw.  If there was a game that needed a graphic overhaul it was that version.  In today's environment, if the gameplay is there but the graphics are crap, its gonna get panned.

Then they should use all their money and prestige to hire some guys that can code graphics engines. There was never anything that impressive with its visuals.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 08:59:10 PM »

That word being postponed "indefinitely" usually means there isn't much hope for the game.
Starcraft Ghost has been delayed a long time as it is, but I remember reading a good sized preview and interview on it only a few months ago, maybe in Electronic Gaming Monthly or Game Informer, where they asked about the next-gen consoles and they said Starcraft Ghost has always been about this generation and would still be released on this gen consoles. It sounded and looked pretty good in the preview.

So yeah it is kind of suprising to me because I thought it was actually going to make it.. they should have postponed Duke Nukem Forever or Team Fortress 2 instead! (Especially since, according to EB, Team Fortress 2 is due out next month.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 10:06:21 PM »

Judging off of Swinging Apes last console effort, they had issues with the PS2 version on Metal Arms as well.

Hopefully it will resurface, running and looking better.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 05:57:59 AM »

Yeah, I guess ... if the gameplay itself was solid, and the game only lacking because of technical limitations, then it would be good to see the game resurface on the 360 or PS3.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 06:01:18 AM »

The gameplay at last E3 was much improved over the previous iteration.  It just lacked visual punch.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: