http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 11:16:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm out! Legacy of the Void next!  (Read 44802 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: July 28, 2010, 09:07:28 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2010, 09:00:49 PM

How do you use the Perdition Turrets?  I researched them, but I don't see an option to build them anywhere on my SCV?

Might they be an upgrade for a structure?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 28, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2010, 09:07:28 PM

How do you use the Perdition Turrets?  I researched them, but I don't see an option to build them anywhere on my SCV?

I guess, but it didn't read that way on the research screen.  I'm stumped!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 28, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2010, 09:09:09 PM

Quote from: C
eeKay link=topic=35431.msg705470#msg705470 date=1280351248

Looking around I see they are structures. Perhaps you should have gone with the other choice slywink

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 28, 2010, 09:15:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 28, 2010, 08:50:15 PM

Why do you assume it's the cutscenes?  I would assume that it still takes a considerable amount of manpower and effort to craft a high quality 30 mission campaign.  I would guess it was more a matter that the story and types of levels they want to include for each race vastly exceeded what they could reasonably fit into a single game so they decided it was better to split things up rather than make a bunch of cuts.  

I have only played the first 7 missions. To me those 7 missions could have easily been condensed down to 4 without missing anything except the cutscenes between them.  And I think in 10 years they could have created 60 solid single player missions and still told their whole story in one game if they wanted too. And if they didn't want to do that, don't insult our intelligence by saying they ran out of time on a game whose very similar predecessor was realeased 10 years ago.

Again.  I like the game.  But I just wish they would have innovated on things a little more in terms of gameplay given how long it took for this game to come out.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:20:05 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: July 28, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 28, 2010, 09:15:59 PM

Again.  I like the game.  But I just wish they would have innovated things a little more in terms of gameplay.

Blizzard innovate?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 28, 2010, 09:22:12 PM »

I have to admit I was kinda surprised how quickly the first 2 missions went on normal difficulty.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 28, 2010, 09:22:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2010, 09:14:10 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2010, 09:09:09 PM

Quote from: C
eeKay link=topic=35431.msg705470#msg705470 date=1280351248

Looking around I see they are structures. Perhaps you should have gone with the other choice slywink

All joking aside, does anyone know how to deploy these?  Are they not available in missions played before you research them?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 28, 2010, 10:25:42 PM »

Did they change how the guest passes work?  I'm playing on a guest pass (thanks CeeKay!), and I thought I was only supposed to be able to play multiplayer.  Instead, I have access to the full game (campaign, skirmish, battle.net, etc) for seven hours from the time of installation.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 28, 2010, 10:38:46 PM »

Well I just got an email saying I requested to change my battle.net account password out of the blue. 

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 28, 2010, 10:43:43 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 28, 2010, 09:15:59 PM

And I think in 10 years they could have created 60 solid single player missions and still told their whole story in one game if they wanted too. And if they didn't want to do that, don't insult our intelligence by saying they ran out of time on a game whose very similar predecessor was realeased 10 years ago.

You keep suggesting they actually worked on this game for 10 years.  I didn't that that was the case.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 28, 2010, 11:00:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2010, 10:38:46 PM

Well I just got an email saying I requested to change my battle.net account password out of the blue. 

If you haven't got one, get an authenticator running on your account.  I got my WoW account all hacked a few months ago.  I hadn't used it for months before that, never responded to phishing emails or anything, but they got in somehow.  Blizzard's a huge target for teh haXXoring.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 28, 2010, 11:31:12 PM »

Ok I'm real confused about upgrades and research now.  Some stuff, like the Marine shield, seems to be retro for all missions, but other things like the 6 man bunkers and Perdition Turrets only seem to be from when you upgraded on?  I'm not even sure that's correct, but they are definitely not available in some of the beginning missions even though you have them purchased or researched.  I wish this were spelled out a little more, since it does not appear to apply across the board.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 28, 2010, 11:31:25 PM »

My understanding is that StarCraft 2 does not support traditional LAN play, but I'm wondering if it will allow multiple people to use the same internet connection to log onto their separate Battle.net accounts and play in private, passworded games.  If Person A and Person B each own their own copy of the game and have distinct logins, can they log into Battle.net through the same router / internet connection and play against the AI together?

A friend of the family is really chewing my ear off about this....

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 28, 2010, 11:38:53 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 28, 2010, 11:00:17 PM

If you haven't got one, get an authenticator running on your account.  I got my WoW account all hacked a few months ago.  I hadn't used it for months before that, never responded to phishing emails or anything, but they got in somehow.  Blizzard's a huge target for teh haXXoring.

yeah, think I'm going to do that.  my WoW account got banned for some reason in the couple of years I hadn't used it.  I just grabbed the iPhone version and set it up.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: July 28, 2010, 11:40:18 PM »

The one thing to keep in mind is that account change e-mails are two way. As long as you don't reply to it (or follow the instructions), your account is fine.

There is a possibility that somebody sent in a password request notice because they thought they owned the account and couldn't remember the password. Since they won't get the e-mail, that means that they used the wrong User ID.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 28, 2010, 11:48:46 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 28, 2010, 06:25:28 PM

Blizzard hasn't been about innovation in a very long time.  They take concepts that others have come up with, combine them, polish the hell out of them, and then sell a million copies.  This goes right back to the roots of the Warcraft/Starcraft universes, which were both blatant ripoffs of the two Warhammer universes.  This is just how Blizzard games are.  I'm no more surprised by it than I am to see everything explode in Jerry Bruckheimer movies.

While I know what you are saying and agree more or less, somehow I was still expecting more than what I've seen thus far in SC2 (admittedly only a small portion, first 4 or 5 missions).  Everything about the core mission gameplay just feels so conventional and traditional RTS that it almost seems outdated in some sense.  I'm comparing this in a relative sense to what we're seeing from Blizzard in Diablo 3 - which of course you can argue will be exactly as you said above.  But the difference to me is with the changes in the classes and skills and elements like the deformable topologies, I can already tell it's going to be a very different experience than D2 and all the dozens of D2 clones.  Not to mention that really none of the clones has ever been able to match up to D2's gameplay completely, where I think the RTS genre has been much more competitive.  With SC2 I feel like I'm stretching to find what actually sets it apart from the rest of the RTS genre (including Blizzard's own Warcraft 3).  I mean if someone told me they took the basic WC3 engine and re-did the graphics with a sci-fi slant, I wouldn't be surprised.

This is not to say I didn't enjoy the couple of hours I had with it last night, or appreciate the polish that's gone into the outer layers (story, inter-mission interface, etc), I was just expecting a little bit more, something special/different (even something relative minor like new units or a twist or two on the build tree) that really set it above and beyond the rest of the RTS pack.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 28, 2010, 11:52:40 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 28, 2010, 11:40:18 PM

The one thing to keep in mind is that account change e-mails are two way. As long as you don't reply to it (or follow the instructions), your account is fine.

There is a possibility that somebody sent in a password request notice because they thought they owned the account and couldn't remember the password. Since they won't get the e-mail, that means that they used the wrong User ID.

true, but the odds of someone mistakenly using the same email address I have are slim enough to make me wary, and like I said my WoW account is in the stages of being unbanned (it now reads LOCKED instead of BANNED).  besides, the authenticator for the iPhone is free and kinda cool  icon_lol

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 29, 2010, 12:07:03 AM »

I got my WoW account unbanned months ago. Just this week I've gotten 2 new phishing emails. One said my WoW account was doing bad stuff and the other today said my request for character transfer was being approved and to click the link LOL LOL LOL LOL ya right buddy. I looked at the real email header on it and it's from something like [email protected] hahaha. I sent both along to Blizzard. I hope they fry his ass.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: July 29, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »

I think it's both. I bet you one of the major factors for why the campaign was split up was for the money.  Any of you thinking it was for pure reasons of making the campaign better are fooling yourselves, or drinking the Blizzard kool-aid.

However, Blizzard is a company with enough cash and enough highly skilled game developers across the board that they can take that idea and run with it to make something worthy of a 3 game split. But do not think for a moment that it started as an idea to make the campaign better.

To be frank, from what I've seen so far they're basically about to rehash Warcraft 3's story in Starcraft. OOOooooOOo... the burning crusade comes.... Feh.  That's a story that could be told in one game and maybe an expansion. The rest is more filler, albeit really well written and scripted filler. That's not to say the story isn't being told well, and that's it's not fun, but you get the idea.

So, I'll cut Blizzard a break for it, since I know that they are one of the few companies that will be able to turn out such a venture well, making the first game worth the money, and not have the next two "expansions" be just cash grabs alone.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 29, 2010, 12:14:18 AM »

plus I believe Blizzard will only step up the game more in each expansion.  I can't wait to see the Protoss one!

Because I can,
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 29, 2010, 12:18:01 AM »

Quick question....If I were to buy this game through digital download, is there an option to backup the install files like STEAM or IMPULSE?  From what I've read this downloads through torrent sysytem  and since my ISP likes to throttle/cut my internet when I use torrents, I want to be able to make a backup for it.

Oh, and BTW thanks a lot for making me want to get this game now.  I can't imagine why I didn't want this in the first place.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 29, 2010, 12:21:47 AM »

Quote from: lex on July 29, 2010, 12:18:01 AM

Quick question....If I were to buy this game through digital download, is there an option to backup the install files like STEAM or IMPULSE?  From what I've read this downloads through torrent sysytem  and since my ISP likes to throttle/cut my internet when I use torrents, I want to be able to make a backup for it.

Oh, and BTW thanks a lot for making me want to get this game now.  I can't imagine why I didn't want this in the first place.

I did the download and it put all the install files in a directory of your choosing, so I don't see why you couldn't back those files up.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 29, 2010, 12:49:09 AM »

I'm logging in shortly, hope we can all try to do some co-op.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 29, 2010, 01:16:59 AM »

Does anyone know how long the play time is for the campaign?  Rather than judging it on them splitting it lets judge it on length.  In the end I don't care how many parts it is in as long as I get the correct value out of the parts.

In this case of this first part you get the extra value of multiplayer, custom maps, etc.  So it shouldn't take much for it to be worth your $40-60.  You can get a lot less for the same these days.

The next parts will need to add at least as much as a normal expansion pack to demand expansion pack prices.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: July 29, 2010, 01:23:05 AM »

Quote from: Vidiot on July 29, 2010, 01:16:59 AM

Does anyone know how long the play time is for the campaign?  Rather than judging it on them splitting it lets judge it on length.  In the end I don't care how many parts it is in as long as I get the correct value out of the parts.

In this case of this first part you get the extra value of multiplayer, custom maps, etc.  So it shouldn't take much for it to be worth your $40-60.  You can get a lot less for the same these days.

The next parts will need to add at least as much as a normal expansion pack to demand expansion pack prices.

There is an achievement for racing through in 8 hours on Normal, and I'm guessing you'd have to push to get that, so I'm guessing 10 hours for the campaign.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 29, 2010, 02:06:51 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 29, 2010, 01:23:05 AM

There is an achievement for racing through in 8 hours on Normal, and I'm guessing you'd have to push to get that, so I'm guessing 10 hours for the campaign.

10 hours seems way too short to me, assuming the person is playing on normal difficulty. There are 29 missions, at least that's what I read an a recent interview. Including all the time spent on the Hyperion, which could easily tack on another 2-3 hours by the end of the campaign, I was estimating in the 15-20 hour range.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 29, 2010, 02:12:06 AM »

The stats screen says there are 26 missions, and they seem to be comparable in length to those in Starcraft.  The achievements provide reason to replay missions, and there are 27 single-player challenge missions that are supposed to hone your skill.  There are achievements for these, too, as well as ones for skirmish play.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 29, 2010, 02:21:04 AM »

My quick impressions are this:

I don't think it's as good as Dawn of War II... but it's still lots of fun.  I'm enjoying it.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: July 29, 2010, 02:51:59 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 29, 2010, 02:12:06 AM

The stats screen says there are 26 missions, and they seem to be comparable in length to those in Starcraft.  The achievements provide reason to replay missions, and there are 27 single-player challenge missions that are supposed to hone your skill.  There are achievements for these, too, as well as ones for skirmish play.

There are 29 total missions for the single player campaign.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: July 29, 2010, 03:12:45 AM »

A lot of the missions have filler, but they're also pretty cool in terms of filler. A lot of timer based mission. Oh, and the ever present base rebuilding and resource gathering.

Hours of gameplay isn't exactly the best indicator of quality here since there's a lot of time sinks. Also, a lot of the missions are glorified fetch quests, but at the same time they add enough to them to be interesting.

Still entertaining, but call a spade a spade, even if it's gold plated.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: July 29, 2010, 04:53:13 AM »

Man my PC is a bit old, but it meets the recommended specs (not minimum, but recommended) and it takes almost 5 minutes or more to load a mission before and after.  Is anyone else getting hammered like I am?  I left all settings on the recommended from the game.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 29, 2010, 04:55:13 AM »

Does anyone have a spare guest pass?  I bought the digital version which didn't include any, and my brother is itching to try it out.

Impressions so far (after 10 missions): good stuff.   Not very innovative stuff, but good.  I'm enjoying the content surrounding the campaign (ship areas, chatting, research, etc).  

Leo: I'm on an old POS PC too, but my load times are around 30-45 seconds/level.  I do have 4 GB of RAM, though.  My proc is below minimum spec and my video card has 256 MB RAM, and most of my settings are on Low.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 29, 2010, 05:01:22 AM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on July 29, 2010, 04:55:13 AM

Does anyone have a spare guest pass?  I bought the digital version which didn't include any, and my brother is itching to try it out.

oh sure, we don't hear from you in months and here you are looking for a free ride  Tongue (YGPM)

Because I can,
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 29, 2010, 05:13:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 29, 2010, 05:01:22 AM

Quote from: Zaxxon on July 29, 2010, 04:55:13 AM

O
oh sure, we don't hear from you in months and here you are looking for a free ride  Tongue (YGPM)

I am, in fact, a horrible person. But thanks for the code!
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 29, 2010, 05:40:51 AM »

Decided to played 'League Of Legends' tonight. I got screwed big time with 'Starcraft II' with my DVD drive dying. Still haven't been able to fully download the client and install. The Blizzard downloader is slow.. and, Ceekay, I tried checking out peer-to-peer and clamping down on the bottleneck, but the download only stalls when I click those two preferences. I've no other choice but to very, very, very, VERY slowly download the game thru the next day or so. I'll finally be able to sample this on Friday.  Worst PC game launch EVER for me! tear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 29, 2010, 05:45:20 AM »

ouch, that sucks.  perhaps you should grab Minecraft to help pass the time smile

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: July 29, 2010, 06:06:28 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 29, 2010, 12:10:42 AM

To be frank, from what I've seen so far they're basically about to rehash Warcraft 3's story in Starcraft.

How can SC2 rip off WarIII?  WarIII more or less ripped off the story from StarCraft 1.  icon_biggrin
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: July 29, 2010, 06:45:55 AM »

Heh, Blizzard rips itself off in an endless cycle.

Still, enjoyable overall. I look forward to going through the entire story.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 29, 2010, 07:47:26 AM »

I just got a secret mission. Have not tried it yet.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 29, 2010, 07:52:31 AM »

love the music in the bar!

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: