http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 07:49:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm out! Legacy of the Void next!  (Read 46439 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 28, 2010, 03:31:13 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2010, 03:23:49 PM

Ok so I was trying to get the final achievement on Hard for the 3rd mission and I didn't realize that you can upgrade your units on the Hyperion and then go back and do these missions, so don't beat your head against the wall like I did.  Go upgrade your troops!
Beating one's head against a wall can be much more entertaining!  smirk

I somehow missed two Propaganda Signs/Things on Mission 1, and I'm still confused on that, I was sure I didn't miss anything.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 28, 2010, 03:35:23 PM »

may have missed this before, but Lost Viking?!?!?  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 28, 2010, 03:40:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2010, 02:16:31 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 28, 2010, 02:09:15 PM

Quote from: Destructor on July 28, 2010, 01:43:13 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 28, 2010, 12:33:52 PM

Not a happy camper. Got a zombified DVD drive that refuses to read anything, and I really shouldn't purchase another until my next paycheck next week. Started downloading the game last night, but it's trickling in like a drip: Only 2GB downloaded overnight in 7 hours.. and at the rate it's coming in, it won't be downloaded until the weekend (and I do have a broadband connection!). Totally dissapointed, but I gotta get on with my life. Enjoy the game.. See you in game sometime soon.  icon_frown

Either turn off the uploading feature in the program (option somewhere) or try to figure out how to limit your uploads through it. Blizzard has used torrents as their download technology for patches for years (in WoW anyway) and they're doing it here too. I remember that it had serious issues with absolutely capping your upload bandwith, which means that it can't send out responses that it got the data bit that's being sent.

Or it's your ISP stopping it from working fully, because torrents are evil, the devil, or you'll use it to pirate things 100% of the time with no exceptions.

Yep, I think that's the culprit right there. It's uploading at the same time it's downloading. I'm gonna jet home on my break in a bit and turn off the upload feature of the Blizzard downloader. Hopefully, this will speed up the download and I'll get the game tonight.

I mentioned this earlier:  in the SC2 download program go to options, turn off peer to peer (it lies when it says it will take longer), and there is also an option to turn off the bandwidth throttle the program has.

Thanks, Destructor and Ceekay. Went to my place and I turned off peer-to-peer and turned on the 'Don't throttle My Download' option. Within a minute, the downloader grabbed 1.65GB.. then it went back down to a trickle again. Hoping it'll be completely downloaded by the time I get back home tonight (keeping fingers crossed).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:44:30 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 28, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 28, 2010, 03:31:13 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2010, 03:23:49 PM

Ok so I was trying to get the final achievement on Hard for the 3rd mission and I didn't realize that you can upgrade your units on the Hyperion and then go back and do these missions, so don't beat your head against the wall like I did.  Go upgrade your troops!
Beating one's head against a wall can be much more entertaining!  smirk

I somehow missed two Propaganda Signs/Things on Mission 1, and I'm still confused on that, I was sure I didn't miss anything.

Don't worry, you can go back shortly and replay any mission as many times as you'd like and on different difficulty levels.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 28, 2010, 03:47:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2010, 03:35:23 PM

may have missed this before, but Lost Viking?!?!?  icon_lol
Cool. I read people posting about "Loving the arcade games" and I was like, "Huh?"  confused biggrin I hope they made a Blackthorne (my first Blizzard-made game) arcade game somewhere.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 28, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2010, 03:50:20 AM

This game is absolutely fantastic.  The quick options to replay missions and the achievements for different difficulty levels are fun and challenging.

^^ This.

The game is awesome at 1920x1200.  Everything about this game so far is first rate.  Damn those Blizzard guys pulled it off again!

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 28, 2010, 04:46:42 PM »

I have to admit my reaction after the 1st 3 missions was "It took them 10 years to make THIS?!

It hasn't really changed much at all since the original game.  But the formula still works. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 28, 2010, 05:01:22 PM »

Can anyone comment on the quality of the LE Strategy Guide. I'm tempted to pick it up today, because SC2 didn't ship with a manual (11 years, maybe they forgot a piece?), but I want to know if it is worth getting.

Bael
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 28, 2010, 05:10:14 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on July 28, 2010, 05:01:22 PM

Can anyone comment on the quality of the LE Strategy Guide. I'm tempted to pick it up today, because SC2 didn't ship with a manual (11 years, maybe they forgot a piece?), but I want to know if it is worth getting.

Bael
At Amazon, reader reviews might help ya:
http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-Limited-Strategy-Guide-Brady/dp/0744011612

I assume the content is similar to the softcover strategy guide? I leafed through that at Best Buy yesterday. It's humongous format, very good print and color quality, imho. I don't know if you really need a strategy guide to do the first couple or few missions. It has "spoiler-free" walkthroughs of the entire campaign, and a very in-depth guide to multiplayer tactics. While it acknowledges that multiplayer will no doubt change, morph, evolve etc. after release, it does seem to offer lots of tips from award-winning competitive Starcraft (and presumably SC2 beta) players.

I guess the best I can say is it seems very meaty and in-depth to me, not just sort of a spray of basic info that doesn't teach you anything. That said, I'm sure people would come out of the woodwork reminding that there are probably thousands of good strategy guides online. But I do still like print references, even knowing most go out of date quickly.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 28, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 28, 2010, 04:46:42 PM

I have to admit my reaction after the 1st 3 missions was "It took them 10 years to make THIS?!

It hasn't really changed much at all since the original game.  But the formula still works. 

Yeah, they totally had the Hyperion back in the old game where you could buy mercs, interact with the characters, spend money on upgrades, and do research on zerg and protoss tech.  They also had a world map where you could do missions in whatever order you choose.  Also, the missions were as high quality as the first three missions.

Oh wait, none of that is true.  I'm not sure they worked on this the entire 10 or so years after the first one was released, but you can definitely tell they evolved the single player game by leaps and bounds, learning from what they've done with Warcraft III and World of Warcraft.  The game is awesome and it makes me even more impatient for Diablo 3.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: July 28, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »

But there's a curious lack of Orcs!  *Fist Shaking*  icon_smile Do you get to hire mercs in the multiplayer game too? Wasn't sure about that. Sorry, didn't keep up on the beta and all.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 28, 2010, 05:39:02 PM »

Deno did say that his impression was after the first three missions.  You only get the ship at the end of the third mission.  Prior to then, yeah, it's pretty much the same as SC1.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 28, 2010, 05:56:15 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 28, 2010, 05:39:02 PM

Deno did say that his impression was after the first three missions.  You only get the ship at the end of the third mission.  Prior to then, yeah, it's pretty much the same as SC1.

True, I forgot when you get the Hyperion access.  I will let him live.....
Spoiler for Hiden:
for now

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 28, 2010, 06:10:20 PM »

Try on (if you have a LOT of time - it's 40 questions) Gamespy's...

Ultimate Starcraft Quiz
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/starcraft-2/1105750p1.html
I did horribly (23 of 40 correct). icon_redface icon_smile Try to resist Googling for answers, otherwise, what's the point?

Some of the wrong answers are pretty amusing.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 28, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 28, 2010, 05:39:02 PM

Yes it does open up a bit after the 3 missions.  

But the actual gameplay itself hasn't changed much in 10 years, right down to the things the units say and their animations.  The between mission stuff is certaily a change.  But even that reminds me of the old Wing Commander games where you clicked on static objects in order to launch mini cut scenes and access menus.  All of the upgrades and merc stuff has been done many times before in other RTS's such as Rise of Legends and even Halo Wars.  There's nothing revolutionary there.  The achievements are nice.  But is there no way for two people to play through the campaign seperately with the same copy of the game?  

It's typical Blizzard fare.  Evolution instead of revolution.  And there really isn't any reason why this game couldn't have been released 3 years ago. I'm enjoying it.  But I'm now convinced that splitting the game into 3 sixty dollar versions was done as a money grab, and not because they ran out of time.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:18:27 PM by denoginizer » Logged

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 28, 2010, 06:21:15 PM »

1 60 dollar, 2 30-40 expansions.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 28, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »

Why don't you wait and see how the games evolve with each iteration before calling this a money grab?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 28, 2010, 06:24:38 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 28, 2010, 06:21:15 PM

1 60 dollar, 2 30-40 expansions.

suuuuuuuuuuure....  icon_biggrin

*** Also as a Activision/Blizzard stockholder I am OK with the moneygrab.  I just don't buy for a second that they ran out of time to put all 3 campaigns in one game after ten years to make this game.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:27:17 PM by denoginizer » Logged

stessier

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 28, 2010, 06:25:19 PM »

28 of 40.

I like that a Starcraft quiz has a question about South Korea.   icon_biggrin
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 28, 2010, 06:25:28 PM »

Blizzard hasn't been about innovation in a very long time.  They take concepts that others have come up with, combine them, polish the hell out of them, and then sell a million copies.  This goes right back to the roots of the Warcraft/Starcraft universes, which were both blatant ripoffs of the two Warhammer universes.  This is just how Blizzard games are.  I'm no more surprised by it than I am to see everything explode in Jerry Bruckheimer movies.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 28, 2010, 06:33:05 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 28, 2010, 06:25:28 PM

Blizzard hasn't been about innovation in a very long time.  They take concepts that others have come up with, combine them, polish the hell out of them, and then sell a million copies.  This goes right back to the roots of the Warcraft/Starcraft universes, which were both blatant ripoffs of the two Warhammer universes.  This is just how Blizzard games are.  I'm no more surprised by it than I am to see everything explode in Jerry Bruckheimer movies.

I hear what you are saying.  And I did play the beta so I was kind of ready for it.  But I was hoping that after 10 years we would at least see something new that hadn't already been done in many other RTS's.  I don't want to give the impression that I hate the game.  I was just hoping for a little bit more.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 28, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »

I was checking out folks' profile pages (my screenshot of the familiar guy below confirms your "real name" is not listed btw -- I was wondering about that since I see my real name on my own profile page), and happy to see there are Achievements listed under co-op play.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: July 28, 2010, 06:47:31 PM »

Play Dawn of War 2 if you want a bit more, which I recommend.  SC2 is for those who want old style, but highly polished old style.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 28, 2010, 06:51:25 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 28, 2010, 06:47:31 PM

Play Dawn of War 2 if you want a bit more, which I recommend.  SC2 is for those who want old style, but highly polished old style.

I have played DoW2 and I agree that it is terrific.  

Also one thing I am thankful that Blizzard stole from Rise of Legends is the grid style hot key system.  I hoping that since a few more people will play SC2 than RoL, grid style hotkeys will become a standard option in all RTS's going forward.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:57:48 PM by denoginizer » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 28, 2010, 07:14:24 PM »

I'm loving the Hyperion and the amount of story you can get from clicking around.  Also the upgrade system on the ship is really cool, I like that you can boost units to your liking and they carry from then on.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: July 28, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 28, 2010, 06:51:25 PM

Also one thing I am thankful that Blizzard stole from Rise of Legends is the grid style hot key system.  I hoping that since a few more people will play SC2 than RoL, grid style hotkeys will become a standard option in all RTS's going forward.

If you don't mind editing a text file you can remap your keys in DoW2 now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 28, 2010, 07:42:32 PM »

You know, after DoW and Company of Heroes base building feels kinda refreshing again.

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 28, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »

Holy crap, wait, the hotkeys around WASD correspond to the grid location of the on-screen buttons?  If that's the case, that makes a whole ton of sense and will make my life infinitely easier.  I feel dumb.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 28, 2010, 07:58:12 PM »

I don't understand the complaints about a cash grab- from what I'm reading, SC2 still has the same amount of single player content as Starcraft 1 (~30 missions) and all three factions had to be developed fully to support the multiplayer mode.  
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 28, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »

It's probably due to the lack of coverage the SP stuff got pre-launch.  What everyone heard was that there would only be a Terran campaign, and the assumption was that it would be like the Terran sections of SC1/BW.  If that's all it was, it would totally be a cash grab.  But now that it's out, they obviously fleshed the SP stuff out a lot from what it was, and I think it justifies a full game. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 28, 2010, 08:34:18 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 28, 2010, 07:44:43 PM

Holy crap, wait, the hotkeys around WASD correspond to the grid location of the on-screen buttons?  If that's the case, that makes a whole ton of sense and will make my life infinitely easier.  I feel dumb.

Yes the hotkeys go:

QWERT
ASDFG
ZXCVB

To correspond to the icons on the datapad.  Very nice.

You have to change the hotkeys to "Grid" from the options screen.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 28, 2010, 08:36:58 PM »

that's good to know  thumbsup

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 28, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 28, 2010, 07:58:12 PM

I don't understand the complaints about a cash grab- from what I'm reading, SC2 still has the same amount of single player content as Starcraft 1 (~30 missions) and all three factions had to be developed fully to support the multiplayer mode.  
I never got comfortable playing as the Protoss and Zerg in SC, so for me, Wings of Liberty is probably all the SC2 I need. Yeah I'll miss out on their storylines, but I just don't know if I need that much (90 missions?) SC2 single player. From a marketing standpoint, my only concern would be that so many SC gamers are MP-focused, I don't know if they can sell as many copies of the next two titles when MP gamers basically already have what they need (though no doubt the two followups will add something to MP as a carrot).

There was a lot of beefing in 2006 that Company of Heroes shipped without a German campaign and no other (British, etc.) Allied campaigns. They remedied that in expansions, but gamers seem used to RTSs with multiple races/sides shipping with a campaign for each race. I don't know if they look at it in terms of "number of campaign missions" so much as "do I get a chance to play as each race in a campaign, out of the box?" If the answer's "no," some inevitably get peeved about and thus  *Fist Shaking*
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:40:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 28, 2010, 08:46:17 PM »

It's not the amount of content.  It's that when Blizzard said they were forced to split the game up we were told it was because they did not have time to include all of the campaigns in one box.  When I play the game and see that it hasn't really changed all that much in 10 years I have to wonder why they didn't have the time.  Could creating all of these cut scenes really have taken that long?

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 28, 2010, 08:49:46 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 28, 2010, 08:46:17 PM

It's not the amount of content.  It's that when Blizzard said they were forced to split the game up we were told it was because they did not have time to include all of the campaigns in one box.  When I play the game and see that it hasn't really changed all that much in 10 years I have to wonder why they didn't have the time.  Could creating all of these cut scenes really have taken that long?

are you high?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 28, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »

It's not the amount of content.  It's that when Blizzard said they were forced to split the game up we were told it was because they did not have time to include all of the campaigns in one box.  When I play the game and see that it hasn't really changed all that much in 10 years I have to wonder why they didn't have the time.  Could creating all of these cut scenes really have taken that long?

Why do you assume it's the cutscenes?  I would assume that it still takes a considerable amount of manpower and effort to craft a high quality 30 mission campaign.  I would guess it was more a matter that the story and types of levels they want to include for each race vastly exceeded what they could reasonably fit into a single game so they decided it was better to split things up rather than make a bunch of cuts.  
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 28, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 28, 2010, 08:49:46 PM

are you high?

Seriously the amount of content in this game is staggering!
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 28, 2010, 08:58:06 PM »

I think its a combination of both factors people think. Activision trying to milk people for extra money, plus Blizzard raising their famous level of polish to an unseen level.

The single player, the challenge missions, battle.net are amazing. I admit.

Splitting the story into two more $40 expansions is bullshit. I admit.

But overall, this is an amazing game worth at least $60.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 28, 2010, 09:00:35 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 28, 2010, 08:49:46 PM

are you high?

no.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 28, 2010, 09:00:49 PM »

How do you use the Perdition Turrets?  I researched them, but I don't see an option to build them anywhere on my SCV?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: