http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 10:10:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm out! Legacy of the Void next!  (Read 48365 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 28, 2010, 02:53:01 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 27, 2010, 04:39:34 PM

Does SC2 include a recap of the original story? Or is there somewhere I should go to download a video?
Ridah, hey, IGN has this sort of Reader's Digest video (using SC gameplay footage, cinematics, and some funny inserts from other things) to catch people back up on the original game. Thought you might enjoy it (me too):

Starcraft in 5 Minutes
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/850126/starcraft-2/videos/starcraftin5_spc_072310b.html
*I think it's narrated by the GameTrailers voice guy.
*I got misty eyed watching the old SC gameplay footage and cinematics.  tear
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:56:33 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 28, 2010, 02:54:28 AM »

I just have 896 megs and run it all maxed on 1920x1200. Smooth. I love the looks.

I hope before the game ends I get to kill that sob news anchor and replace his ass with the female reporter who always tries to tell the truth about me.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:17:35 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: July 28, 2010, 03:24:00 AM »

The box felt so hefty: I was hoping for a burly manual with lots of unit info, but 90% of the weight is a NOTEPAD!!  *Fist Shaking* Not one shred of info besides a story, which doesn't interest me in the least.

Anyways, it's SCII, so I'll forgive and forget for now....

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: July 28, 2010, 03:39:12 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2010, 12:44:19 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2010, 12:20:33 AM

Game look great, I love being back in the SC Universe!

it took long enough!

"Hell, it's about time!" -Tychus Findlay

slywink

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 28, 2010, 03:39:33 AM »

Un-Fucking-Believable! My DVD drive decided to die tonight, out of all days!!! It technically works and the computer recognizes, but the laser lens is either dirty or the transport head inside is just stuck. Neither of those problems can't be--nor I have the patience to--resolved tonight. Gonna have to pick up a new DVD drive and that's not happening until the weekend. I'm so, so dissapointed. I'm downloading the game client from Battle.net, but at 7GB that won't finish downloading until the morning(hell, tomorrow afternoon!). I'm just gonna go to bed before I blow a gasket.  mad mad mad  *Fist Shaking* *Fist Shaking* *Fist Shaking*
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:46:54 AM by PR_GMR » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 28, 2010, 03:50:20 AM »

This game is absolutely fantastic.  The quick options to replay missions and the achievements for different difficulty levels are fun and challenging.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 28, 2010, 03:57:51 AM »

I gave in. I have no willpower, no matter how much I suck at RTSs, I keep buying them.  retard

I suspect it'll take all night, and if I'm lucky (and there aren't ques) I'll give it a whirl in the morning. Although I always liked having my games on discs, Steam has morphed me into a digital purchaser. And Blizzard certainly does do spiffy interfaces well.  icon_smile

One question about the Blizz downloader: I don't see any option to Pause a download. I'm assuming it's smart enough to pick a download back up if it gets dropped?  icon_confused
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:00:55 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: July 28, 2010, 04:02:37 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 28, 2010, 03:57:51 AM

I gave in. I have no willpower, no matter how much I suck at RTSs, I keep buying them.  retard

I suspect it'll take all night, and if I'm lucky (and there aren't ques) I'll give it a whirl in the morning. Although I always liked having my games on discs, Steam has morphed me into a digital purchaser. And Blizzard certainly does do spiffy interfaces well.  icon_smile

One question about the Blizz downloader: I don't see any option to Pause a download. I'm assuming it's smart enough to pick a download back up if it gets dropped?  icon_confused

Yep, it'll resume if you drop.  No worries.  smile
Welcome!  We'll get some great GT co-op going by this weekend, I'm sure!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 28, 2010, 04:45:51 AM »

How many SCVs should I have to maximize resource gathering for minerals and gas? For minerals I was thinking two SCVs per mineral node and three per vespine refinery. Yes, no?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 28, 2010, 04:47:35 AM »

dang... I set up a AI skirmish against one AI so I could give the Protoss a try, before I know it I'm getting rushed by Terrans.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 28, 2010, 04:53:04 AM »

Tried some of the custom maps people have made so far.  I have high hopes, the new editor seems pretty dang powerful.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 28, 2010, 06:21:12 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 28, 2010, 04:45:51 AM

How many SCVs should I have to maximize resource gathering for minerals and gas? For minerals I was thinking two SCVs per mineral node and three per vespine refinery. Yes, no?

One of the tutorial missions suggested 3 per gas node.  Not sure about minerals.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 28, 2010, 06:27:11 AM »

I'm just simply blown away by this game. I'm only 5-6 missions in, and I haven't touched multiplayer, but it already exceeds my expectations by a massive margin. There really is no one in the business like Blizzard, not even close.

Sean Lama
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 28, 2010, 06:27:39 AM »

if anyone still wants/needs a guest pass let me know.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 28, 2010, 07:26:27 AM »

Oh and by the way guys, don't forget to check out the multiplayer forum and list your character name/number in the thread we have going. Even if you don't plan on playing MP, it's fun and helpful to have people to chat with in-game.

Sean Lama
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: July 28, 2010, 08:51:16 AM »

From a few tactics videos, it sounds like 30 probes total for each mineral field. That's 6 collectors divided between two vespine gas vents, and 24 on the mineral field.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 28, 2010, 10:07:18 AM »

wooo weee. this game is so good. I love the upgrading and stuff you can do via the ship. Really lets you customize your play style.

i tried one of the challenges and failed on the 2nd wave, lol. this is why I don't play MP in ladders. they seem really cool and i'll definitely visit them later.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: July 28, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »

Okay, so first Nolan North is everywhere in games, now it's Liara/Lightning's voice actor all over the place.

She's Raynor's Adjunct and the ship doctor's voice.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 28, 2010, 11:46:26 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 28, 2010, 04:45:51 AM

That sounds fine. I'm just getting started, but from my experience with SC, I don't think you can ever have "too many" SCVs, fwiw, unless making them bankrupts ya.  icon_smile

btw, while it's awesome you can listen to "Sweet Home Alabama" (!) on the between-missions jukebox in the bar, where's "Free Bird" and "Stairway to Heaven" (very appropriate as Kerrigan's Theme imho). Get with it, Blizzard!  *Fist Shaking*  icon_smile
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:16:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 28, 2010, 12:33:52 PM »

Not a happy camper. Got a zombified DVD drive that refuses to read anything, and I really shouldn't purchase another until my next paycheck next week. Started downloading the game last night, but it's trickling in like a drip: Only 2GB downloaded overnight in 7 hours.. and at the rate it's coming in, it won't be downloaded until the weekend (and I do have a broadband connection!). Totally dissapointed, but I gotta get on with my life. Enjoy the game.. See you in game sometime soon.  icon_frown
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 28, 2010, 01:22:56 PM »

I played the first few missions and the game is exactly like Starcraft with better graphics. Which is not a bad thing. Game mechanics are the same. I ran into a problem on the third mission where the game told me I ran out of page memory and it reduced my graphical settings to minimum and the game turned into a slideshow. A quick Google search showed me how to increase my page memory size in XP using regedit and so far the error has not returned.

I love the game but I don't miss PC gaming. Between tweaking the graphics options when I first started to get the game running smoothly, fixing the page memory issue, and watching the loooooooong loading screens, I probably only got to play about 45 minutes of the 90 minutes I set aside to play last night. Plus, I forgot how hot and noisy my rig is. Oh well, I'll put up with it because it's the only way I can enjoy Blizzard's games.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 28, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »

That's not pc gaming if you want pc gaming play league of legends or from what I hear it minecraft. Then you'll know if you miss it smile still undecided regarding this, mp rts I do struggle on - although the concept I like

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: July 28, 2010, 01:43:13 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 28, 2010, 12:33:52 PM

Not a happy camper. Got a zombified DVD drive that refuses to read anything, and I really shouldn't purchase another until my next paycheck next week. Started downloading the game last night, but it's trickling in like a drip: Only 2GB downloaded overnight in 7 hours.. and at the rate it's coming in, it won't be downloaded until the weekend (and I do have a broadband connection!). Totally dissapointed, but I gotta get on with my life. Enjoy the game.. See you in game sometime soon.  icon_frown

Either turn off the uploading feature in the program (option somewhere) or try to figure out how to limit your uploads through it. Blizzard has used torrents as their download technology for patches for years (in WoW anyway) and they're doing it here too. I remember that it had serious issues with absolutely capping your upload bandwith, which means that it can't send out responses that it got the data bit that's being sent.

Or it's your ISP stopping it from working fully, because torrents are evil, the devil, or you'll use it to pirate things 100% of the time with no exceptions.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 28, 2010, 02:09:15 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 28, 2010, 01:43:13 PM

Either turn off the uploading feature in the program (option somewhere) or try to figure out how to limit your uploads through it. Blizzard has used torrents as their download technology for patches for years (in WoW anyway) and they're doing it here too. I remember that it had serious issues with absolutely capping your upload bandwith, which means that it can't send out responses that it got the data bit that's being sent.

Or it's your ISP stopping it from working fully, because torrents are evil, the devil, or you'll use it to pirate things 100% of the time with no exceptions.

Yep, I think that's the culprit right there. It's uploading at the same time it's downloading. I'm gonna jet home on my break in a bit and turn off the upload feature of the Blizzard downloader. Hopefully, this will speed up the download and I'll get the game tonight.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 28, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »

Quote from: Tals on July 28, 2010, 01:28:34 PM

That's not pc gaming if you want pc gaming play league of legends or from what I hear it minecraft. Then you'll know if you miss it smile still undecided regarding this, mp rts I do struggle on - although the concept I like
I certainly feel the same on mp rts, but I always enjoy co-op, or to some extent teaming with buds against more competent teams.  icon_smile I anticipate, hopefully, doing a lot of that. I don't pretend I'd last 30 seconds against the Competitive SC crowd.

fwiw, I've had no issues running the game smoothly (I don't obsess about FPS numbers, it just looks like it's running smooth to me), and haven't found load times too bad. The smoothness may well be just because ATI cards don't support AA in the game right now (and folks here are right imho - it looks great w/o it). I don't by any stretch have a gamer's rig (it's an HP quad core circa 2008, 4GB RAM, Vista 64-bit, with a so-so ATI HD card).

Unless one really feels safer with a DVD for backup purposes, I'd go for the digital download from Blizz itself. Download overnight was fine, and installed quickly, w/ no keys to mess with.

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 28, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 28, 2010, 02:09:15 PM

Quote from: Destructor on July 28, 2010, 01:43:13 PM

Yep, I think that's the culprit right there. It's uploading at the same time it's downloading. I'm gonna jet home on my break in a bit and turn off the upload feature of the Blizzard downloader. Hopefully, this will speed up the download and I'll get the game tonight.

I mentioned this earlier:  in the SC2 download program go to options, turn off peer to peer (it lies when it says it will take longer), and there is also an option to turn off the bandwidth throttle the program has.

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 28, 2010, 02:21:16 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 28, 2010, 02:28:21 AM

How embarrasing, I had to turn the settings down a bit for the game to run more smoothly. I really need a video card with 1GB of memory.

I have a laptop with 1gig of VRAM and 4 gigs of system ram, and I had to drop down to high to get decent framerates. 

My ancient "gaming" desktop with an ATI X800 can't even think about going above low.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 28, 2010, 02:21:17 PM »

The coop and sp will be what sucks me in sp looking forward to impressions on that side. Can coop games be resumed mid stream or does a mission have to be restarted

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 28, 2010, 02:26:24 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 27, 2010, 10:58:15 PM

FYI when you are installing, you can click the arrows during the story to go faster if you want (or to go back).  12 GB install, so I don't see how the heck CeeKay didn't finish in time.

missed the arrows on there.  I'm running a i7 830 w/ 6 gig of RAM and I did the digital download, so I had no DVD spinning to slow me down.  the game was even nice enough to max out all the settings for me (kinda surprising, usually PC games play it safe with auto detect and I need to tweak stuff myself).

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 28, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »

Quote from: Tals on July 28, 2010, 02:21:17 PM

The coop and sp will be what sucks me in sp looking forward to impressions on that side. Can coop games be resumed mid stream or does a mission have to be restarted
I don't believe you can do more than skirmish in co-op, right? I know the beta was purposely limited on co-op though, so I'm not really clear on the mode post-release.

afik, there's no co-op campaign play. Blizz was asked about a year or two ago and said it wouldn't. I mean, that would probably require a separate campaign specifically designed for 2-4 players. Maybe it's something the mod community can pull off, if there's interest.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:34:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 28, 2010, 02:34:12 PM »

Hey guys when you do a research upgrade in the lab, it's one OR the other, right?  No going back?  Lab not Armory.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 28, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised to see my mid-range GTS250 1gb get autodetected at max settings for everything.  Frame rate's been good so far.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 28, 2010, 02:42:53 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2010, 02:34:12 PM

Hey guys when you do a research upgrade in the lab, it's one OR the other, right?  No going back?  Lab not Armory.

Yes.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 28, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »

Not a happy camper. Got a zombified DVD drive that refuses to read anything, and I really shouldn't purchase another until my next paycheck next week.

Doesn't a DVD drive cost like 20 bucks these days?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 28, 2010, 03:02:08 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on July 28, 2010, 02:59:48 PM

Not a happy camper. Got a zombified DVD drive that refuses to read anything, and I really shouldn't purchase another until my next paycheck next week.

Doesn't a DVD drive cost like 20 bucks these days?

it's his extravagant lifestyle.  hundreds on Thai Lady Boys and wine coolers but not 20 bucks for a new drive  icon_twisted

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 28, 2010, 03:18:18 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 28, 2010, 02:42:53 PM

Yes.

Dangit I thought so.  I don't think it's even possible to start a new campaign and try the others, you can maybe reload a saved game?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 28, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »

Ok so I was trying to get the final achievement on Hard for the 3rd mission and I didn't realize that you can upgrade your units on the Hyperion and then go back and do these missions, so don't beat your head against the wall like I did.  Go upgrade your troops!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 28, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2010, 03:18:18 PM

Yes.

Dangit I thought so.  I don't think it's even possible to start a new campaign and try the others, you can maybe reload a saved game?

Just make a choice and live with it, pansy boy. slywink

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 28, 2010, 03:29:20 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 28, 2010, 03:25:55 PM

Yes.

don't screw it up!

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 28, 2010, 03:30:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2010, 03:29:20 PM

Quote from: The Grue on July 28, 2010, 03:25:55 PM

Yes.

don't screw it up!

You rat finks!  I was hoping to be able to try different techniques at some point!!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: