http://gamingtrend.com
November 20, 2014, 11:34:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm out! Legacy of the Void next!  (Read 50478 times)
jersoc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 13, 2010, 01:13:22 AM »

winning games are so intense!

got my 5 league achievement and hot streak, which is winning 3 in a row. UNF!

totally contained my last terran opponent in this base. <3 mutas
Little Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 13, 2010, 05:24:30 AM »

TIBHOD has hit a rough spot. Two hard loses in a row. I'm not even going to post the first one because there's no point...we're up against a Diamond and a Platinum level player and they simply tear through us like wet tissue paper. However, I am going to post the second one because it highlights a couple of critical mistakes that both of us made which ended up costing us the game.

First off, I really need to brush up my scouting game in team games. In 1 v 1 it's pretty good, but my brain simply has a hard time tracking two opponents at once.

I had my heart set on Muta-Ling for this game, but I'm still working on a good Muta-Ling build. So I sort of flounder in the beginning. I do have the presence of mind to throw up a Spine crawler. Being next to the game, I probably should have throw up two or three, but that's hindsight for you.

Now things really begin to go to hell. The enemy pushes up with a combined force of Roaches/Marines. My Zerglings are out of position searching for expansions. (I should have left one at each XelNaga tower) They come back, but a tad late. Naed has a few Reapers, but Reapers without micro die very quickly to roaches. We hold off the first wave, though my crawler and queen go down.

And here's where we REALLY mess up. I'm caught with too many minerals and not enough larvae, because my queen is dead. What I SHOULD have done was start throwing up spine crawlers left and right, knowing that the enemy would probably press the attack. I don't do that. And just as bad, Naed builds a bunch more Reapers, which by itself isn't bad, but then he sends them across the map where they bump into the enemy Roach force with no micro. Bye bye half the Reapers.

At that point we're toast. Battlenet is not amused, and we drop to 30.

Ah well, live and learn. TIBHOD shall return!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 13, 2010, 09:13:22 AM »

here's a good muta/ling build from HDstarcraft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ue4TEQXIc

my goal this week is at least 1 1v1 game a day. my macro fucking sucks. the game i played earlier I ended with 2k minerals. I should have taken a 3rd base and maybe an in base hatch too. but whatever, in the end I won :p
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 14, 2010, 08:01:03 AM »

bad day today. fucking beat twice in a row by stupid ass lame rushes :|

edit:actually, not entirely true. I did mess up quite a bit on my build getting units way later than I should have. but the first lost was a lame 6 pool. I should have seen it coming and was stupid and didn't fully scout  on metalopolis.

Oh well, live and learn. I'll have to practice my build more. CURSE YOU FREE LOTRO!!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:05:35 AM by jersoc » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 14, 2010, 08:39:19 PM »

Apparently Blizzard is sending out notices about cheating, so I guess the ban hammer is getting polished.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: September 14, 2010, 11:48:17 PM »

CruxInvictus. Add me! Yes, I caved biggrin
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 16, 2010, 06:53:55 AM »

You know i'm torn, Civ 5 is about to come out so I want to get that but at the same time SC2 interests me a lot. How are people now founding the game +1 month in, still regularly playing it? Enjoying it?

I know the Genres are totally different - I liked Civ 4 (not sure I ever completed a game though), I also have enjoyed RTS games, again probably never completed a campaign....Ahhhhhh decisions decisions frown
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:46:52 AM by Tals » Logged

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 16, 2010, 07:05:32 AM »

i still play it, up until halo reach i played at least 2-3 hours every day since launch. that's almost 2 full months. I probably have well over 100 hours.

I'll ladder some bit this weekend though.
Little Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 16, 2010, 01:31:11 PM »

I got it a few days after release. I'm still playing it almost every night, and I'm not typically that into RTS as a genre.

That said, I'm not playing it constantly, like I would Civ. I can't do that with multiplayer Starcraft....it requires too much mental effort. It's fun as all get-out, but also very intense and draining for me. So I play an hour or two a night and then move onto something else for a bit.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 16, 2010, 11:37:16 PM »

It's weird, I've gotten in the hobby of reading up on SC2 strategy, watching replays and things like the Day[9] Daily, but I haven't actually played the game in weeks.  I just can't wrap my head around the expectation that I'm going to lose about 50% of my matches no matter how good I get.  I mean, theoretically it's great that there's a robust ranking and matchmaking system, but every other multiplayer game I play I can generally win way more often than I lose.

I've told other people that you just have to be ok with losing and you'll find opponents to fit any skill level in SC2, but I can't seem find how to take my own advice.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: September 16, 2010, 11:54:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 16, 2010, 11:37:16 PM

I've told other people that you just have to be ok with losing and you'll find opponents to fit any skill level in SC2, but I can't seem find how to take my own advice.

[wise_sensei_voice]

so, instead of losing 50% of the time playing the game, you are losing 100% of the experience of playing it?

[/wise_sensei_voice]

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 16, 2010, 11:55:13 PM »

It's weird, I've gotten in the hobby of reading up on SC2 strategy, watching replays and things like the Day[9] Daily, but I haven't actually played the game in weeks.  I just can't wrap my head around the expectation that I'm going to lose about 50% of my matches no matter how good I get.  I mean, theoretically it's great that there's a robust ranking and matchmaking system, but every other multiplayer game I play I can generally win way more often than I lose.

Yeah that's strange. So I guess someone who has won half their games would be considered a good player? I don't know how the placement stuff works either.

My relationship with SC2 is an odd one. I played through the campaign, and have been playing a lot of matches against the AI. I basically am not willing to go online until I can beat, as zerg, all three races set to very hard AI. Until now, I still can't beat the terran, but it's good because its forcing me to come up with new strategies.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 17, 2010, 12:08:17 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 16, 2010, 11:55:13 PM

Yeah that's strange. So I guess someone who has won half their games would be considered a good player? I don't know how the placement stuff works either.

There are players with a huge range of skill levels playing the game.  Unless you're already having announcers give play-by-plays on your practice matches and tournaments, there are people better than you at the game.  Odds are, there are also people worse than you. 

The ladder system does a chess-like ranking to try and match you with players right at your own skill level.  If you're playing people exactly as good at the game as you are, then the outcome of each match should basically be a coin toss, i.e., you should have a 50% win/loss rate, and that's what the matchmaking system tries to do.  If you win win win it'll rank you up more and more until you start losing again, and if you lose lose lose it'll rank you down until you start winning again.

Completely makes sense, but I'm used to having the opportunity (in other MP games) to regularly play people worse than I am, and thus I'm used to winning a lot.  Even if there are people better than I am, in games like first person shooters I can generally avoid those ace players or find ways to compensate and have great personal victories even if my team loses, but in a mano-a-mano game like SC2 it doesn't work that way. 
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 17, 2010, 05:34:53 AM »

League of legends has a similar system, that is more team based so the results get skewed depending on your yteam but the philosophy works. Not having played sc2 I don't know how accurate it is but as one of the less good players this does sound perfect! I can understand it may put off players more used to winning, but I imagine this would ultimately be more rewarding and will match you up with your own level of player.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:52:31 AM by Tals » Logged

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 17, 2010, 06:45:33 AM »

Am I correct in assuming the real worth in Starcraft 2 is in the Multiplayer? I purchased it a few days ago, and have tried it a bit, but am a bit "meh" on the whole thing.

It looks nice, and plays very well, and the cutscenes are really great, but its not terribly exciting, the singleplayer campaign, that is.

oh, and I mean the above in the nicest possible way, not being an ass about the game.

A new one
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 17, 2010, 08:05:07 AM »

I'm the same way(in fact currently watching day 9 now). We gamers are a competitive bunch. We play to win and losing makes us want to punch a baby holding a kitten. But here's the thing I keep telling myself. Losing means you can learn something. If you lost watch the replay and figure out why. For me, I'm sorta fine with the 50% the game wants to tend to. Without the ladder I wouldn't even play SC2 cause I'm sure I would win like 10% of the time if that. Yeah, I'm in bronze whatever, that means I can play against other people who suck at multitasking too. Sometimes I'm scared to even get to silver(I'm pretty sure I botched a promotion check).

Winning a lot is great, but that means you probably aren't improving your game. I bet no one here has dreams of being pro skill, but still i think learning is a good thing either way. The fact that I'm this much into SC2 speaks volume of what blizzard did. I bought SC2 for the single player and custom games, but ended up enjoying ladder.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 17, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »

You've made the game incredibly tempting with that statement Jersoc!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 17, 2010, 11:24:27 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 17, 2010, 08:05:07 AM

I'm the same way(in fact currently watching day 9 now). We gamers are a competitive bunch. We play to win and losing makes us want to punch a baby holding a kitten. But here's the thing I keep telling myself. Losing means you can learn something. If you lost watch the replay and figure out why. For me, I'm sorta fine with the 50% the game wants to tend to. Without the ladder I wouldn't even play SC2 cause I'm sure I would win like 10% of the time if that. Yeah, I'm in bronze whatever, that means I can play against other people who suck at multitasking too. Sometimes I'm scared to even get to silver(I'm pretty sure I botched a promotion check).

Winning a lot is great, but that means you probably aren't improving your game. I bet no one here has dreams of being pro skill, but still i think learning is a good thing either way. The fact that I'm this much into SC2 speaks volume of what blizzard did. I bought SC2 for the single player and custom games, but ended up enjoying ladder.

Good points, and you know it occured to me that I don't mind losing when I play Street Fighter IV multiplayer, as long as it's not a total blowout; the losses usually leave me feeling that I've learned something new about that particular matchup--or there was at least some technique or strategy I had a chance to practice. The same should apply to SC2.

I guess the difference is that a SFIV loss takes 3-5 minutes, whereas a SC2 loss takes 20-45 minutes, so it stings a bit more?  I dunno.
Little Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »

I'm....learning....to live with losing. It hasn't been an easy transition for me.

But, like jersoc, I suspect that without the auto-balancing ladder, I wouldn't be playing at all. When I started out at SC 2 I sucked. I mean, I was just terrible. Placed in the bottom rung of Bronze.  The ladder kept me from being absolutely slaughtered long enough for me to at least learn a little bit about what I was doing.

Now I'm scared about making the transition from Zerg to Random. I'm going to lose SO MUCH when I first do that. frown
Little Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 17, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 17, 2010, 06:45:33 AM

Am I correct in assuming the real worth in Starcraft 2 is in the Multiplayer? I purchased it a few days ago, and have tried it a bit, but am a bit "meh" on the whole thing.

I bought SC 2 for the singleplayer and the story. I was not disappointed - the SC2 campaign is pretty good by any standard, and by RTS standards it's downright fantastic.

But once I discovered multiplayer, I never really looked back. Join the ladder. And friend me, so we can play together.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: September 17, 2010, 06:50:19 PM »

day 9 actually did a daily on losing and how to deal with it: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6708513
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 17, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 17, 2010, 06:50:19 PM

day 9 actually did a daily on losing and how to deal with it: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6708513

That's awesome!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 17, 2010, 11:19:49 PM »

I love the info in Day9's videos, but I just wish there were versions of his show edited down to 20 minutes or so.  It's always hard to buckle down for an hour commitment.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 22, 2010, 03:15:26 AM »

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty patch 1.1.0 is now live! This patch features adjustments to protoss, terran, and zerg balance, notable StarCraft II Editor improvements, and several bug fixes. Be sure to check out the full patch notes below to learn all about the latest changes.

General:

• The Standard (US) and Standard for Lefties (US) hotkey configurations are now available in all regions.
          • A new game clock has been added. Players can now instantly see how long they’ve been in their current mission or match. This feature can be turned on or off in the Gameplay Options menu.
          • A new Quick Save option is now available for the single-player campaign. Players can now quickly save their mission progress by pressing Ctrl + Q.
          • A new System Panel has been added. Players can now view their local time and FPS while in game by mousing over the Menu (F10) button in the upper-left hand corner of the game screen. Laptop users can also view Wi-Fi signal strength and battery levels.
          • Sight granted by death reveal no longer lifts Fog of War. Units revealed in this manner are not targetable.
          • (Mac only) Moved StarCraft II data files and settings from the Documents folder into the Application Support folder.
          • Support for NVIDIA 3D Vision has been added. To experience StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty in 3D on your desktop or notebook, you will need 3D Vision. For more information, visit www.nvidia.com/Starcraft3D

Balance Changes:

• PROTOSS

• Zealot
                • Build time increased from 33 to 38.
                • Warp Gate cooldown increased from 23 to 28.

• TERRAN

• Battlecruiser
                • Ground damage decreased from 10 to 8.

• Bunker
                • Build time increased from 30 to 35.

• Reaper
                • Build time increased from 40 to 45.

• Siege Tank
                • Siege mode damage changed from 50 to 35 (+15 armored).
                • Upgrade damage changed from +5 to +3 (+2 armored).

• ZERG

• Ultralisk
                • Ram ability removed. Ultralisk will now use normal attack against buildings.
                • Damage decreased from 15 (+25 armored) to 15 (+20 armored).

• Maps

• Desert Oasis
                • Destructible Rocks have been added to make natural expansions easier to protect.
                • Center Xel'Naga Tower area has been narrowed.

StarCraft II Editor Improvements:

• Added new requirement types: Odd, Divide, Mod, Multiply.
          • Added a chance field to effect data.
          • Added support for the Slider dialog control type.
          • Added a trigger to deal damage from a unit.
          • Added a trigger event response to provide the amount a player or unit property changes.
          • Added a trigger event when an effect executes.

• New Trigger Editor functions:
          • Save Data Conversation State Value (Action).
          • Load Data Conversation State Value (Action).
          • Players On Team (returns Player Group associated with teams in game lobby).
          • Unit Owner Changes (Event).
          • Old Unit Owner (returns player ID in response to Unit Owner Changes).
          • New Unit Owner (returns player ID in response to Unit Owner Changes).
          • XP, Level, and Bounty unit properties can now be modified by triggers.
          • Banks now save/restore XP, learned abilities, and items.
          • Message Window now includes a time stamp for each message.
          • An actor event is now dispatched when a missile cannot hit its target.
          • When loading documents with Battle.net-only dependencies, you will now be prompted to log in and download the dependency data, rather than failing to load.
          • Game variants now automatically use the default melee variants for new maps, without requiring manual generation. This will not take effect for maps created prior to this patch.
          • The Custom game variant is no longer automatically included when other non-default variants are defined.
          • Increased the maximum recharge vital rate for heal effects.

Bug Fixes:

• Battle.net
          • Chat windows no longer vanish when exiting a multiplayer map or campaign mission.
          • Fixed an issue where players would still receive toasts when their status was set to busy.

• Custom Games
          • Default race in a game lobby is now properly set to Random.
          • Players can now configure the lobby for 1v5 matches.
          • The search functionality for map searches has been improved.
          • Lobby hosts will now receive a toast when an invited player declines an invitation.
          • Custom game lobbies will now remember the game mode chosen under a category.
          • Fixed an issue where changing the category to "Custom" would default the teams to 5v3.
          • Fixed an issue where custom maps could not be reported from the map preview screen.

• Gameplay

• General
          • If a unit loads into a transport, missiles targeting it will no longer target similar units in the area.
          • Structures damaged during construction will no longer count towards structures lost.
          • Fixed an issue where builders waiting for an area to clear could block units trying to leave the area.
          • Fixed an issue with inventory drop range checks.
          • Fixed an issue that, in certain cases, allowed a command to be issued that did not appear on the command card.

• Interface
          • Queue tooltips now display information about what is in progress.
          • Fixed an issue where the back button would not always return players to the score screen properly.

• Terran
          • Marines trained at multiple Barracks will now prefer a Barracks with a Reactor over one with a Tech Lab or no attachment.
          • SCVs will now load into the closest Command Center if multiple are within range.

• Zerg
          • Creep now recedes properly when an AI-controlled Hatchery, Lair, or Hive is destroyed.

• StarCraft II Editor
          • The Player Leaves Game event now fires when a player leaves or they are defeated/victorious.
          • Loading screen progress bar option now works when using Melee loading screen type.
          • Test Document now works properly on maps with Battle.net-only dependencies.
          • Publishing a new file using Major revision will now properly set the document version to 1.0.
          • Publish dialog now properly remembers the Show Real Name setting from previous publish.
          • File preview panel now displays author's real name if that option was set during publishing.
          • The Import module will now allow importing an override Assets.txt file.
          • Undoing a terrain object modification will now also undo associated terrain changes.
          • Editor will display document text from another locale if no text for the active locale exists.
          • Copying points with custom models will display the model properly on the pasted point.
          • It is no longer possible to have multiple default variants in the Game Variants dialog.
          • Removed icon support for attribute and variant definitions, as Battle.net does not display these.
          • Fixed issues with invalid map bounds when creating 32x32 maps.
          • Fixed issues with poor performance in the Terrain Editor when scroll bars are visible.
          • Fixed issues with drag-and-drop in Trigger Editor when tracking is not enabled.
          • Fixed an issue that would cause a crash if multiple unit forms had too many abilities.
          • Fixed an issue with temporary publish names in the Publish dialog still verifying the original name.
          • Fixed an issue with the Unit Manipulates Item trigger.
          • Fixed excessive delays on some systems when saving files using the Smaller Files option, and also when publishing Locked files.
          • Fixed preview panel display in Terrain Editor palettes.
          • Fixed performance issues in Terrain Editor when modifying terrain with many road tiles on the map.
          • Fixed initial display of variables in the Trigger Debugging Window.
          • Fixed generated script for built-in attribute values, which caused them to not be accessed properly.
          • Fixed action list when modifying a Custom Script action without sub-views enabled.
          • Fixed loading map dependency data.
          • Fixed an issue where loading complex bank files would cause the client to disconnect from Battle.net.

• Technical Issues
          • Fixed an issue where unplugging headphones could cause the game to freeze.
          • Fixed an issue where XP systems running with Unicode characters enabled could prevent a player from starting a multiplayer game.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 22, 2010, 08:04:15 AM »

SUCK IT DOWN TERRAN!

Haven't played with the new changes yet. Servers were down almost until I left for work.

On a related note you guys should check out day 9's monday cast. it was awesome. From now on he's doing stuff like that on monday and he mentioned that tuesday will now focus on bronze and silver leagues, so that's also awesome.

also this match was hilarious: http://sc2casts.com/cast863-Husky-Starcraft-vs-Day9-1-Game-No-Event-Showmatch

warning about language if youre super sensitive to that stuff. but the trash talking is epic.
Little Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 25, 2010, 08:23:40 PM »

I'm going to post this game because I think it's a good example of how not to lose your cool when things don't go according to plan.

Day9 says to always have a plan. Well, I had a plan. My plan for this game was Muta-Ling, and since it's Kulass Ravine, which I absolutely despise, I was going to be extra careful to take down the rocks that protect the high ground around my expansion. Muta-ling, muta-ling, take down rocks, take down rocks....I was so focused on my plan that I completely neglected to scout. But the plan is going well. My build is great. Just stick to the plan....imagine my surprise when my first group of 'lings finds him building a bunker and barracks RIGHT OUTSIDE MY BASE. I've been proxied and contained! Whoops!

Well, shit. He's got a marine inside the bunker, so I'm not going to break it with 4 lings. The plan is officially hosed, at least for now. I drone hard...if he's building all this crap and has SCVs to repair it, his economy will be hurting. I get mine as strong as I can. Start building spine crawlers to hopefully outrange the bunker and drive it back. Lings start taking down rocks to my second expansion slot.

The next few minutes is a desperate dance at the entrance to my base. I'm frantically building spine crawlers and 'lings, he's dancing Marauders in to snipe the crawlers and kiting the lings. He doesn't have enough to push in...I don't have enough to dislodge him. But I DO get my second base up, and I keep droning. Eventually, I get a spire, and 5 mutalisks.

Now the tide begins to shift. The mutas skip over his defense gate and begin hitting his workers. He's forced to pull back and begin building towers. But my early investment in economy is starting to really pay off....I have a lot of minerals, which means a LOT of 'lings. They swarm over his bunkers and siege tanks, assisted by the mutas. His containment fails.

Now it's his turn to be contained. Mutas hunt for structures that don't have towers guarding them. Zerglings eat any towers that aren't guarded by MMM balls. I take a third base. And all the while more mutas and Zerglings are coming out. He realizes he's hosed once his last push with a CC fails and quits out. Yay!

So remember...have a plan, but don't panic when the plan fails.
Little Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 26, 2010, 04:50:01 AM »

This is perhaps the finest game I've played to date. It's against a guy who's number 1 in his gold league, playing random spawning as Terran. He does pretty good harassing with Blue Hellions, makes multiple airdrops, utilizes thorships, and abuses the high ground with dropped siege tanks. He builds up tons of those invincible Thors, and easily kills 7 of my units for every one of his I take down.

I beat him with macro. Not especially impressive macro, we're gold level players, not diamond. But I run three bases, and never let him get more than one at a time. Mutas contain him, and wave after wave of attacking Zerg wear him down, and eventually he's forced to throw in the towel. He's a super-good sport about it, though.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 26, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »

Everytime I think I must get this game I see the word macroing which puts me straight off - am I understanding it that to play SC2 to any semblance requires macroing above and beyond. Not really seen a game describe the amount of macroing that seems to be needed in SC2.

Game sounds great but also sounds like it's one I just haven't the capability of playing frown

Little Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 26, 2010, 03:01:41 PM »

I think you underestimate yourself. I know when I first started playing I never would have imagined myself capable of the level of macro I can do now. (not that I'm great or anything, but I'm slowly getting decent)

It just takes practice and an understanding of hotkeys.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 26, 2010, 04:16:02 PM »

Quote from: Tals on September 26, 2010, 11:35:30 AM

Everytime I think I must get this game I see the word macroing which puts me straight off - am I understanding it that to play SC2 to any semblance requires macroing above and beyond. Not really seen a game describe the amount of macroing that seems to be needed in SC2.

Game sounds great but also sounds like it's one I just haven't the capability of playing frown
Tals, it's a helluva lot of fun in single player and I don't even understand what macroing means or how to do it. I just enjoyed the game. I didn't use hotkeys much, perhaps I would've been more efficient if I had, but I completed the SP campaign and that was good enough for me.  icon_smile I did fine.

Co-op was worth a little fun for me, but I got tired of the lack of anything interesting to do (I understand Blizz didn't have time -- afterall they only had 13 years  Roll Eyes -- to do a separate co-op campaign, but even just a few stray co-op objectives might've given that aspect of the game better legs imho.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 04:19:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 27, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »

I'm 3 missions from completing the campaign.  Through all those missions, I think I used hotkeys twice.  You can have a lot of fun in just the campaign and with the 5 difficulty settings (casual, normal, hard, brutal, insane), there's no reason you should ever get stuck or find it too easy.

I recently jumped into MP.  My previous MP experience with any game was 3 games of CoH (which were a lot of fun actually).  I thought I wouldn't have any fun at all and that would be that.  But after the placement matches - which were fun just because of how clearly overmatched I was - the game did a pretty good job of finding people of my skill level (which is very, very low - I only started using hotkeys 2 days ago and have been playing MP for nearly 3 weeks).  I lost a lot of games before winning one, but they were all fun because you are playing SC.  It's fun to make units and watch them blow stuff up (a little less fun to see your stuff get blown up, but still).  Winning is just kind of a bonus.

And I don't have a headset, but all the communication I've had has been very nice.  Some games we don't say anything at all, but most of the time people wish you luck or gg you - which even if they are lying is still better than some obscenity laden rant.  smile

I say it's worth the money even if you never touch MP, but still recommend giving MP a chance.  You can always avoid the unwashed masses and just play custom, unranked games against people from here.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 27, 2010, 04:17:36 AM »

holy crap, i just discovered nexus wars words. think nexus wars and typing of the dead and BAM. so awesome.

man wtf, i keep getting up against high rank silver players frown

i'm not that good lol
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:20:14 AM by jersoc » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: October 01, 2010, 05:35:27 PM »

the banhammer falls.

Because I can,
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: October 02, 2010, 05:11:09 PM »

How do I post a saved replay.  I need some playstyle critiques and I think it would work best if you could see everything I'm doing wrong in one shot. smile
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 02, 2010, 07:13:40 PM »

use a SC2 replay site or just a free file uploader site.
Little Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: October 03, 2010, 02:13:10 AM »

I recommend GameReplays.org. It's free and easy to setup and use.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 03, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »

Quote from: Little Raven on October 03, 2010, 02:13:10 AM

I recommend GameReplays.org. It's free and easy to setup and use.

This is the one I use too.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 04, 2010, 09:27:04 AM »

god, I have been getting destroyed lately. I just keep getting up against protoss who 4 gate and destroy me. I think it's time to switch my opener up. I found a really interesting one that involves 2 hatches in your main. I played around with it last night and it's been doing great in 3v3 coop against hard. I think my current one is far too micro heavy for someone like me.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 05, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »

hmm, so i tried that build I was talking about and it was quite the interesting little game. short but interesting.

I start off doing stuff and send about a dozen lings down to fight his 2 zealots, but he got 2 cannons up right then so i backed out. I built roaches to try and take them out and parked about 6 outside his base to contain him, along with about another dozen lings or so. I caught him trying to proxy something, he canceled it before I could see what it was, but probably a pylon. the guy still hasn't moved at all so i teched up and started a muta ASAP cause I <3 mutas. Suddenly he attacks and his DT's. Shit, I forgot to morph an overseer. I quickly morph one and rally what's left home. He has like 8 of them and they totally rip apart my drones while i fumble around making more lings. However, my first 6 mutas finish first and kill his DTs off. I immediately send them to his base and attack his mineral lines and he ends it there.

Also my first game some guy drone rushes me and tries to make fun of me, i guess. I don't know. oh no. i have like 20 games played you have like 500. Plus, you can't really make me mad.
2nd game, this guy is totally insane. he played random and I got another zerg again. Dude just fucked me up so damn quick. No way he was in bronze. So I looked up. Yup not in bronze, not in anything. WTF? Oh. he's fucking platinum in 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4. fuck my world. He was playing 1v1 placement matches but platinum in everything else. Awesome. And he was listed as slightly favored? WTF blizzard? That's not slightly favored. I had exactly ZERO chance of beating him, ugh.

Still i'm 34 in my division now. I've lost so much and so many stupid crazy crap that it just doesn't phase me anymore. I just need to work on my macro and keep my strategy in thought.

I really did like the new build. you can read about it here: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/777748425
It really lets you dish out the units and I slacked quite a bit on my injecting due to the DTs that blind sided me
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 07, 2010, 06:53:12 PM »

upcoming info about the next balance patch

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/761331

The balance changes in our next patch will primarily focus on improving the zerg.

Here are a few of the changes we currently have planned:

· We're increasing roach range. This will allow roaches to be more effective in large groups, giving the zerg more options in the mid to end game.

· Fungal Growth will now prevent Blink, which will give zerg a way to stop endlessly Blinking stalkers which can be very challenging to deal with in large numbers.

· The Barracks are going to require a Supply Depot, which will impact a lot of early terran reaper pushes.

· The reaper speed upgrade will require the Factory, which is meant to weaken a lot of the early terran reaper attacks that dominate so many matches, especially in team games.

· We're making a number of increases to the health of zerg buildings, which will make the very vulnerable zerg technology structures more resistant to raids. We don’t expect these hit point changes to have a super significant impact on the game, but the current numbers felt way too low.

yes, i beat ceekay!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: