http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 04:39:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starcraft 2 confirmed!  (Read 11910 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2007, 01:54:30 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on May 06, 2007, 03:18:12 AM

Quote from: SuperHiro on May 06, 2007, 01:41:56 AM

the question is will the WoW people abandon their characters and hours upon hours of investment in them to play this?  Or if Blizzard wants to be mega evil, allow for some sort of cross-game benefits.

but I just really doubt that a Starcraft MMO will be a WoW clone.  It'll have SOMETHING different.  Maybe made with PvP in mind. I'm still holding out for the MMRTS.

I would just be happy if my subscription allowed me to play both games.  I'd jump to WoS in a heartbeat, but I've always prefered scifi over fantasy.

I'll second a 'Sony Station' style system.  I'll pay for the software.  I'll even take an incremental increase in my monthly feel.  I WILL NOT PAY 32 USD TO PLAY BOTH GAMES!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2007, 02:20:12 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on May 07, 2007, 01:54:30 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on May 06, 2007, 03:18:12 AM

Quote from: SuperHiro on May 06, 2007, 01:41:56 AM

the question is will the WoW people abandon their characters and hours upon hours of investment in them to play this?  Or if Blizzard wants to be mega evil, allow for some sort of cross-game benefits.

but I just really doubt that a Starcraft MMO will be a WoW clone.  It'll have SOMETHING different.  Maybe made with PvP in mind. I'm still holding out for the MMRTS.

I would just be happy if my subscription allowed me to play both games.  I'd jump to WoS in a heartbeat, but I've always prefered scifi over fantasy.

I'll second a 'Sony Station' style system.  I'll pay for the software.  I'll even take an incremental increase in my monthly feel.  I WILL NOT PAY 32 USD TO PLAY BOTH GAMES!

Though I doubt I would go back to playing WoW either way (unless this BC trial really grabs me), a pay for both plan might actually make me do it, but paying for both separately would immediately quash that.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2007, 02:57:38 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 07, 2007, 02:20:12 PM

Though I doubt I would go back to playing WoW either way (unless this BC trial really grabs me), a pay for both plan might actually make me do it, but paying for both separately would immediately quash that.

Oh come now. If WoS was anywhere near as good as WoW (or as much fun, or whatever), you'd pay for both in a heartbeat.

That's exactly what Blizzard is expecting (assuming this is all real and whatnot). And they'd be right, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2007, 03:06:59 PM »

Orcs and Humans FTL.  Give me Zerglings, Hydralisks, Zealots, and the like.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2007, 03:11:08 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 07, 2007, 02:57:38 PM

Oh come now. If WoS was anywhere near as good as WoW (or as much fun, or whatever), you'd pay for both in a heartbeat.

That's exactly what Blizzard is expecting (assuming this is all real and whatnot). And they'd be right, IMHO.

Uh, no. I don't pay for WoW now, and don't anticipate that changing. Chances of me paying for both are absolutely zero.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2007, 03:18:17 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 07, 2007, 03:11:08 PM

Uh, no. I don't pay for WoW now, and don't anticipate that changing. Chances of me paying for both are absolutely zero.

Should we ask you again in a hour?   icon_wink

Personally, I don't see the need to play more than one MMO at a time.  One is a bad enough time sink as it is (if it is good like WoW that is), but two would kill off any productivity.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2007, 03:23:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2007, 03:18:17 PM

Quote from: Calvin on May 07, 2007, 03:11:08 PM

Should we ask you again in a hour?   icon_wink

Personally, I don't see the need to play more than one MMO at a time.  One is a bad enough time sink as it is (if it is good like WoW that is), but two would kill off any productivity.

No I agree with you completely. Other than the lack of feeling like I accomplished anything, the time sink was why I quit WoW. While I wouldn't mind playing again, it would only be with a good group of folks I knew would be online yet not hardcore. I wanted to play with Gellars crew, but they are on LOTRO right now. Soo...World of Starcraft it is smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2007, 08:41:11 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 07, 2007, 03:06:59 PM

Orcs and Humans FTL.  Give me Zerglings, Hydralisks, Zealots, and the like.

This is one of the things that makes me wonder what sort of playable races they could have in a World of StarCraft game.  The zerg were not exactly anthropomorphic like the races of WarCraft, and then you have only Protoss and Terrans.  Blizzard really expanded the race count in WarCraft 3, and StarCraft never really had that chance.  It was also much more vehicle based rather than unit/character based. 

As Calvin mentioned, we have yet to really see a good ranged combat based MMO, so that would be another thing they need to overcome. 

It could be great if they just shook up the whole paradigm of MMORPGs, but that is not exactly Blizzard's forte.  They are more of the type to take an established concept and refine it to a drug-tipped needle point. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2007, 09:27:42 PM »

I'd love if it was Planetside-ish, but good instead of crap.

Thats really the only way I can see a SC MMORPG working with the limited number of character options and the number of vehicles.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2007, 09:29:53 PM »

Plus then it wouldn't be competing with WoW.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2007, 11:59:07 PM »

They probably aren't too worried about that (competing with WoW)... the "churn" factor would work in their favor, much like NCsoft's approach
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2007, 05:36:33 PM »

I think people are over-estimating the popularity of Starcraft in the light of Warcraft. People are NOT going to abandon their characters in WoW just to play in the Starcraft universe, and people won't split their time, at least not the serious players. I think it is ridiculous that Blizzard would want to have two MMO's out on the market. I mean, what's next a Diablo MMO? Come on Blizz, stop selling out on us.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2007, 03:41:47 AM »

I have one character over 60, and another in his 50s.

I would jump to WoS without a second of hesitation.  After all these years, I'm pretty burned out on fantasy RPGs.  It would be nice to see a few scifi RPGs, and some fantasy FPS.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2007, 01:10:49 PM »

Plus, if they are announcing something like WoS, the game probably wouldn't come out for at least another year and a half or 2 years. Sure there would be more WoW expansions in that time, but I'd be shocked if WoW membership wasn't beginning to wane by that point.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2007, 01:26:08 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on May 11, 2007, 03:41:47 AM

After all these years, I'm pretty burned out on fantasy RPGs.  It would be nice to see a few scifi RPGs, and some fantasy FPS.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed! This is why I'm still a subscriber to CoX - it's not a fantasy MMO. I'm tired of the genre.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2007, 03:05:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 11, 2007, 01:26:08 PM

Agreed, agreed, and agreed! This is why I'm still a subscriber to CoX - it's not a fantasy MMO. I'm tired of the genre.

CoX?  I'm trying to figure out which one that is without my mind going to far into the gutter.....

Just about a week to go.  Hopefully it's really a major announcement and not alot of hype about nothing.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2007, 05:05:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 11, 2007, 03:05:09 PM

CoX?  I'm trying to figure out which one that is without my mind going to far into the gutter.....

City of Heroes/City of Villains. CoX is commonly used as a short for 'City of...' instead of CoH/CoV.

unbreakable
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »

Yeah, I have a lot of love for CoH, but WoW was so great that it pulled me away.  Still think about going back and checking it out, but I really don't want to have two MMOG subscriptions at the same time, so I don't even want to put myself in a position to get tempted.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2007, 11:16:44 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on May 11, 2007, 09:11:00 PM

Yeah, I have a lot of love for CoH, but WoW was so great that it pulled me away.  Still think about going back and checking it out, but I really don't want to have two MMOG subscriptions at the same time, so I don't even want to put myself in a position to get tempted.

CoH rocks. The Invention system makes for some additional loot (which can then sell for just about anything if it's the stuff people want). And there's a 14 day trial (at last check) floating around. Hit the MMO forums and look it up if you're interested.

unbreakable
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2007, 04:57:09 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 11, 2007, 11:16:44 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on May 11, 2007, 09:11:00 PM

CoH rocks. The Invention system makes for some additional loot (which can then sell for just about anything if it's the stuff people want). And there's a 14 day trial (at last check) floating around. Hit the MMO forums and look it up if you're interested.

Last time I was at Microcenter, they had the box for CoV for like $8 or something.  I've been meaning to go back and pick one up.  It wouldn't kill me to pick one up.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2007, 12:33:10 AM »

And now Blizzard's homepage is getting in on the act (look at the release timeline on the bottom of the page). Only a week or so to go until we all know the truth.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2007, 12:45:24 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 14, 2007, 12:33:10 AM

Only a week or so to go until we all know the truth.

So who's going to scream if it's another WoW expansion?  icon_wink

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2007, 12:53:27 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2007, 12:45:24 AM

The Blizzard person who made that decision.  They'll have trouble though with my boot on their neck.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2007, 03:32:08 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 14, 2007, 12:53:27 AM

The Blizzard person who made that decision.  They'll have trouble though with my boot on their neck.

The only good news is that they didn't list the first WoW expansion on that list, so that pretty much throws out the chance of it being a second addon.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2007, 04:34:29 AM »

You know, it never occurred to me when playing the original Warcraft back in 94 that it would become the monster it has today.  I pretty much wrote it off as a one shot novelty  icon_redface

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2007, 08:31:30 AM »

Starcraft 2 would fit perfectly in that ? space.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2007, 11:59:28 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 14, 2007, 03:32:08 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 14, 2007, 12:53:27 AM

The only good news is that they didn't list the first WoW expansion on that list, so that pretty much throws out the chance of it being a second addon.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  No expansions were listed on there at all, so it's likely a new game/sequel. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2007, 12:59:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2007, 04:34:29 AM

You know, it never occurred to me when playing the original Warcraft back in 94 that it would become the monster it has today.  I pretty much wrote it off as a one shot novelty  icon_redface

I wrote it off as a blatant Dune II clone.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2007, 01:23:09 PM »

And Blizzard updated the page. At this rate, we'll see the new game on either Friday or Monday (obviously of next week).

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2007, 01:34:49 PM »

Rumors that are starting to pop up are making me feel like this is very very unlikley to be WoS or Starcraft 2...can't pin it down, but...yeah, I don't think so.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2007, 01:48:49 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 14, 2007, 01:34:49 PM

Rumors that are starting to pop up are making me feel like this is very very unlikley to be WoS or Starcraft 2...can't pin it down, but...yeah, I don't think so.

As unlikely as it is, I really hope they come out of nowhere and announce a new franchise.  I think they've still got some innovation left in them (the Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully!) and the amount of crazed anticipation, speculation, and buzz it would create on the internet would be fun to watch.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2007, 02:18:44 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 14, 2007, 01:23:09 PM

And Blizzard updated the page. At this rate, we'll see the new game on either Friday or Monday (obviously of next week).

Something tells me it will be the 19th...   ninja

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2007, 12:31:14 AM »

Blizzard doesn't need to announce a new WoW expansion, they said after BC a new expansion would be released on a yearly basis.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2007, 12:41:25 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 15, 2007, 12:31:14 AM

Blizzard doesn't need to announce a new WoW expansion, they said after BC a new expansion would be released on a yearly basis.

One of the devs mentioned about a month ago something about future plans for the next expansion.  I can't recall what it was, nothing earth-shattering- it was more of an offhand comment.  But yeah, they plan on having regularly released expansions.

On topic, I'm guessing many of the plans for SC:Ghost may have ended up morphing into WoS.  There is SO much room for a great FPS MMOG.  I can totally see Blizzard being the ones to pull it off and do it right.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2007, 01:17:16 AM »

it wouldn't be the first time a major announcement turned out to be something everyone already knew about.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2007, 02:33:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 16, 2007, 01:17:16 AM

it wouldn't be the first time a major announcement turned out to be something everyone already knew about.

I stand by the fact that there are no expansions (only sequels) on Blizzard's site, and as such the big announcement will be either a sequel (not an expansion for anything, including WoW) or a new game entirely. And I'm still gonna say it's something Starcraft related.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2007, 12:42:52 PM »

Starcraft MMO is my final guess.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2007, 02:24:58 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 17, 2007, 12:42:52 PM

Starcraft MMO is my final guess.

here's hoping!

* CeeKay crosses fingers

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2007, 02:34:38 PM »

My percentage guess(so I don't have to commit on anything really).

60% Starcraft 2
30% Diablo III
10% Starcraft MMO
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2007, 03:24:29 PM »

Those percentages look pretty good to me.  I'll steal those for my guess also.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: