http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 12:57:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starbound  (Read 3365 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »

But what is he trying to imply?  I get there's sarcasm there, but to what point?  GB liked the game, and I've seen others on other sites say that QL specifically sold them on the game.  Far as I can tell AA likes the game, and is sarcastically attacking GB for not liking it...but...

It's like I and others watched a completely different QL, or AA is just carrying some weird Brad grudge.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 04:51:59 PM »

I'm guessing Brad grudge?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 05:29:51 PM »

AA just does this gag from time to time, nonspecific to Brad-reviewed games.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 06, 2013, 05:29:51 PM

Seems pretty specific to me...

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on December 06, 2013, 05:47:00 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on December 06, 2013, 05:29:51 PM

Seems pretty specific to me...

While the AA effect does seem drawn to Brad-reviews, I submit this evidence of non-Brad AA sarcasm.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »

Wow! This looks ridiculous in the way that makes me want to rush out and buy it. Like now.

BRB.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 08:58:34 PM »

Autistic Angel*

*sorry I just really wanted to use that GIF.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 10:41:32 PM »

I just looted the hell out of an avian burial temple and came away with 4000 pixels and a new weapon.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 01:44:16 AM »

So far I'm loving it, BUT:

I have run into an identical building on two different worlds, as well as a village with pretty much identical layout and beings. For a supposedly procedural game, that seems a bit off.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2013, 02:23:16 AM »

Still no keybinding = I can't play.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on December 07, 2013, 02:23:16 AM

Why can't you play it?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »

Quote from: Lee on December 07, 2013, 10:07:31 AM

Why can't you play it?

I'm left handed. The arrow keys are what are comfortable to me.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2013, 09:18:26 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on December 07, 2013, 06:25:11 PM

Why can't you play it?

I thought I read somewhere that it natively supports the 360 controller. Failing that, plug it in and use Joy2Key or something for basic movement. Not exactly optimal though.

Also, a lot of the game's configs are in xml format. You may be able to manually change configs that way, Zarkon.

And the only reason why I was able to take down the first boss was that I stumbled upon a gun shop selling level 10 ranged weapons. Blew away what I was capable of doing with my Iron Bow.

FYI - another big update is coming soon, which more than likely will cause a player wipe. But the devs will be changing the leveling system from 100 down to just 10 (without removing content). Basically it'll have Easy/Medium/Hard mobs giving the game the same feeling that it has now, without you being just slaughtered whenever fighting someone above your level.

Oh, and random - the game has mod support and modders are already going nuts with it. New ship designs, new items, ways to modify game settings, etc etc.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2013, 05:13:10 AM »

And with a fully expected player wipe, I figure I might as well post my ship where I kept everything I needed in one organized area. Never really built too much on any planet, mainly because I knew I'd leave it behind sooner instead of later.

(right click view image to see it a bit bigger)

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2013, 05:38:10 AM »

Holy crap Destructor.    Did you sleep since middle of the week?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2013, 05:40:42 AM »

That's a lot of crap in one spaceship.  icon_lol
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 06:18:22 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 08, 2013, 05:40:42 AM

That's a lot of crap in one spaceship.  icon_lol

it is very Goa'uld biggrin

I have to say I am finding it hard to resist grabbing, but with the Holiday sale so close.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 06:19:09 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 07, 2013, 09:18:26 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on December 07, 2013, 06:25:11 PM

Why can't you play it?

I thought I read somewhere that it natively supports the 360 controller. Failing that, plug it in and use Joy2Key or something for basic movement. Not exactly optimal though.

Also, a lot of the game's configs are in xml format. You may be able to manually change configs that way, Zarkon.

And the only reason why I was able to take down the first boss was that I stumbled upon a gun shop selling level 10 ranged weapons. Blew away what I was capable of doing with my Iron Bow.

FYI - another big update is coming soon, which more than likely will cause a player wipe. But the devs will be changing the leveling system from 100 down to just 10 (without removing content). Basically it'll have Easy/Medium/Hard mobs giving the game the same feeling that it has now, without you being just slaughtered whenever fighting someone above your level.

Oh, and random - the game has mod support and modders are already going nuts with it. New ship designs, new items, ways to modify game settings, etc etc.

See, that's the thing.  The answer shouldn't be "use a third party solution".  It should be "it's already in the game".  When it's in the game, I'll play it. 
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »

Guys, since this game is offered through Steam how would I get it for my son?

In other words, I am playing it on my computer from my steam account.   My son got interested watching me, but I'm not sure how I would get it onto his computer so he could play at the same time.   Do I need a separate Steam account?   I'm ok with buying the game again, but I'm unsure how that works.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 08, 2013, 03:33:38 PM

In other words, I am playing it on my computer from my steam account.   My son got interested watching me, but I'm not sure how I would get it onto his computer so he could play at the same time.   Do I need a separate Steam account?   I'm ok with buying the game again, but I'm unsure how that works.

Eventually this
http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

But you probably just need to buy it for him.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on December 08, 2013, 03:46:48 PM

In other words, I am playing it on my computer from my steam account.   My son got interested watching me, but I'm not sure how I would get it onto his computer so he could play at the same time.   Do I need a separate Steam account?   I'm ok with buying the game again, but I'm unsure how that works.

Eventually this

But how does that work?   Do I open a new steam account and DL steam to his computer?   Or do I log in with my steam account on his computer and use my account?    I'm confused by this.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »

So, as somebody who has already played several hours of Terraria, what does this game offer on top of that experience?  I haven't really gotten any idea of unique features from the videos around, other than you have a ship to store stuff or something.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2013, 09:48:25 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 08, 2013, 03:58:58 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on December 08, 2013, 03:46:48 PM

Eventually this

But how does that work?   Do I open a new steam account and DL steam to his computer?   Or do I log in with my steam account on his computer and use my account?    I'm confused by this.

IMHO, I'd make a second Steam account and then you can buy and then gift it through your primary account. As a bonus, you'll be able to play multiplayer with each other as its two different Steam accounts playing (although it doesn't use Steam connect).

And according to Steam I've only played for 22 or so hours since launch. Give or take a few hours. biggrin
But it's really not that much stuff - I've just stumbled into a few dungeons and such during my playing. And then threw it together into a mess of a ship.

The big differences of Starbound verses Terraria that I can think of off the top of my head: A near-infinite number of planets to go to, each with the possibility of different building materials, structures, NPCs (friendly or hostile), dungeons, and other things on them. And your ship (which you can store stuff on, like I did, or just use it to get around). And very easy mod support (there's a dozen or three small mods already available and the game is a week old).

Past that it's basically Terraria with a bit more of an alien feel. You still dive down to a planet's core, find the goodies within, and head back up again. Get better weapons and armor, fight bosses, continue onward until you get bored.

Overall, if you loved Terraria, you'll love Starbound. Just be warned that since this is very early beta, things can (and will) go wrong. Also there's a full on player wipe due in the next few days (just to show you how things can change).

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2013, 10:59:30 PM »

I wonder how many dungeon possibilities they have put into this thing.    I know there are 10 levels of planets or something like that.    100 levels of monsters and equipment.   etc.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »

I snagged this on Steam. Will be playing later tonight!

Someone posted this impression of the game on Kotaku.. that and the posts here pushed me over the edge to buy.

I am not ashamed to say that I spent my entire weekend playing this game. My entire weekend. I've been running a server from my home for a group of friends of mine. This game is pure magic. The four of us are having a blast.

In hopes that this message is seen by someone who had a part in making Starbound, you guys have created something truly special. The "magic" feeling I have with Starbound is similar to the one I had during the PS2 era, with games such as: Final Fantasy 12 (I LIKED IT, OKAY?!), FFX, SoTC, and the Persona series.

Games this past generation, to me, felt like they missed their full potential and were missing something. Starbound seems to have included a bit of everything and is still expanding. I'm absolutely loving this game.

You're missing out if you haven't purchased Starbound. If there's one moment / feature that should sell you this game it would be the first time you look at the starmap.

Happy Travels, Kotakians!
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2013, 05:54:59 PM »

Impressions:

I'm not to happy. After playing for about 2.5 hours last night and this morning, this game is an exercise in frustration. It's very much a beta... and it crashes... constantly. I'm running on Windows 7 professional.. and the crashes are numerous. You beam into a planet--Crash. You kill something--crash. You get the idea. I've not been able to accomplish anything as result of the constant crashes. First mission is to go down to a planet and gather materials for a wodden table. I can't farm the measly 200 pixels necessary to craft the table due to losing progress due to crashes.. and due to getting killed constantly by mobs. The game doesn't tell you how to heal yourself. Very frustrating.

When the game is stable, there's a certain magic there. The music is soothing and the pixelated, old-school graphics are charming.. But if you're not willing to participate in a paid-Beta.. Stay away.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »

Progress! Got the damn wooden craft table made!  icon_lol

Currently, game hardly runs on DirectX11 with the latest Nvidia drivers. Crashes all the time. But it's more stable if you run it on OPenGL.

Next.. cooking some alien meat!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2013, 02:17:23 AM »

You didn't need 200 pixels to make the table FYI. That just shows the 'sell' cost (of course you can't sell right now, so that's just there needlessly). When you highlight the item in your build menu, you'll see the cost of it there in goods and pixels (normally pretty cheap, and if needed).

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2013, 04:21:36 AM »

So on my new post-patch starting world, there seems to be more ore.   In fact... I got gold ore within steps of where I first beamed down.

Did they mean to do this or did I get lucky?
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2013, 04:29:36 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 11, 2013, 04:21:36 AM

So on my new post-patch starting world, there seems to be more ore.   In fact... I got gold ore within steps of where I first beamed down.

Did they mean to do this or did I get lucky?
It's in the notes that they changed the spawning of it. It also says it will probably be lowered at some point.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2013, 05:32:30 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 10, 2013, 09:25:35 PM

Progress! Got the damn wooden craft table made!  icon_lol

Currently, game hardly runs on DirectX11 with the latest Nvidia drivers. Crashes all the time. But it's more stable if you run it on OPenGL.

I'll have to remember that when I get the game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2013, 07:14:17 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 11, 2013, 02:17:23 AM

You didn't need 200 pixels to make the table FYI. That just shows the 'sell' cost (of course you can't sell right now, so that's just there needlessly). When you highlight the item in your build menu, you'll see the cost of it there in goods and pixels (normally pretty cheap, and if needed).

Thanks for clearing that out. I was driving myself insane getting the pixels.

Back!... from a succesful play session. Game was patched overnight and it's now stable (OpenGL). I was able to accomplish a good amount in a short time--Learned how to heal myself (farm plant fibres and craft bandages). Cooked alien meat over a campfire and ate. Farmed cobblestone and coal underground (placed cool torches all over the place)... and was able to build an iron furnace.

The game is very soothing. I love the feel of it. Very creative. The day and night cycles on the planet are great.. I went underground during the day and came out at night.. Love the atmosphere!
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »

Got an Iron Anvil built last night! Iron weapons, here I come. Also got a trusty bow made.. and it makes easier to get alien meat to cook food.  icon_smile
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »

friend gifted me a copy of this and we've managed to play MP for a few hours yesterday.  I like this a lot more than Terraria in the early game.  so much of that was tedious and slow, but at least in this one, you can find another settlement or structure fairly easily.  in Terraria, you could spend hours before finding anything useful.  within an hour of playing, we had raided an abandoned mine and picked up a bunch of supplies, weapons and a tent.  which helps a lot when you have exploration that can take days.  after going to another moon in the same system, we found a tomb and went all Apocalypto on them.  got a bunch of cool stuff

short list of things that have impressed me:
the aforementioned mining camp
that you have to factor in food and warmth for survival
that different species are not just a pallet swap.  my Floran can eat plants which poison his cyborg race.  his race is more susceptible to heat loss than mine is.  I forgot to check but I hope this extends to the sentient people you meet and whether you can understand the language or not.
you can walk around each world and the size is reflected while you are viewing the nav map.  while we were on different sides of the planet, the day/night cycle was reversed for us. 
the ability to let light in/water out through background tiles, although it's not realistic when you consider it. 
someone took the time to change the music when you go underwater.  such a small attention to detail, but I love this. 
your starting tools don't break like they were made of paper mache.  I've had the same stone tools for a while and haven't had to replace them yet. 
cooking and different recipes that you can find. 
alien species that don't all attack you on sight and sentient species that recognize you are stronger and want to live rather than fighting to the last. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2013, 12:34:39 AM »

That's awesome about day/night being swapped on opposite sides of the planet.

I ended up buyin this a few days ago but have barely scratched the surface--is it safe to say this game is way more fully developed than you typically see at the start of an early release?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2013, 06:54:49 AM »

Played a bit more tonight. One hour turned into two.. then three. And I was able to build my first house in-game.  nod

It was tricky figuring out how to build. The game has no building tutorial. Then I figured out that your matter generator can materialize/dematerialize matter in the foreground or background depending what mouse button you click (foreground - left, background - right). There's a tip for you!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:57:31 AM by PR_GMR » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 16, 2013, 06:54:49 AM

There's a tip for you!

Looks like a good place to call home. biggrin

Another tip: Your Matter Manipulator should only be used to get enough wood and cobblestone to make a pickaxe and a normal axe. Then you can tuck it away and never use it again. Also yes, the pickaxe uses the same left/right button feature that the Matter Manip did.

Also, holding shift changes your 'affect size' with your pickaxe/MM/placing blocks. From a 3x3 or 2x2 grid to a single square.

And the game is pretty well developed so far, IMHO. The main issue is the lack of a good tutorial and really explaining things.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2013, 06:45:28 PM »

I've hit on a few hard locks, both when someone joined in on my MP server.  it caused both of our pc's to lock up and needed a full reboot.  luckily, it only seems to lose your place in the world and not your stuff. 

really, once you get past the first boss, you are let off the leash, and while you can repeat the pattern and upgrade again, the game would benefit a lot from telling you this. 

After killing both tier 1 and 2 bosses, I've now removed my starting base and relocated into the ship.  going forward, I'll probably stick to this instead of leaving little bases scattered around.  It's basically time to be a migrant like BSG.  once I get enough to unlock the gamma tier, I'll move on to there. 

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2013, 10:39:13 PM »

There should be more planets that are primarily liquid, requiring special equipment to explore.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2013, 06:07:32 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 16, 2013, 04:20:47 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 16, 2013, 06:54:49 AM

There's a tip for you!

Looks like a good place to call home. biggrin

Another tip: Your Matter Manipulator should only be used to get enough wood and cobblestone to make a pickaxe and a normal axe. Then you can tuck it away and never use it again. Also yes, the pickaxe uses the same left/right button feature that the Matter Manip did.

Also, holding shift changes your 'affect size' with your pickaxe/MM/placing blocks. From a 3x3 or 2x2 grid to a single square.

And the game is pretty well developed so far, IMHO. The main issue is the lack of a good tutorial and really explaining things.

Great tips! Yes, I think this game is very far along. They need to put a tutorial in..but it can wait. There are guides on the developer's forum that teach you many things about the game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: