http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:53:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starbound  (Read 3585 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »

http://playstarbound.com/about/

it's an upcoming indie adventure set in SSSPPPPPAAAAAACCCCE!  after fleeing your planet, you find an abandoned space station and from there go on to explore an endless universe filled with procedurally generated planets:

Planets in Starbound are entirely procedurally generated and filled to the brim with unique content. We went into the planet generation with one simple goal: no two planets should be the same. By procedurally generating even the smallest details, we’re doing just that. Not only is the terrain of the planet procedurally generated, but the weather, the gravity, the difficulty level, the plant life, the behaviour and appearance of alien creatures, and much more all contain random or procedurally generated elements.

if the graphics look familiar it's because the company was founded by the graphics designer for Terraria.  it's only just been announced, but I'm kinda hoping they follow the Minecraft/Terraria model of getting into the alpha/beta if you pre-order the game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:10:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 18, 2012, 08:15:58 PM

http://playstarbound.com/about/

it's an upcoming indie adventure set in SSSPPPPPAAAAAACCCCE!  after fleeing your planet, you find an abandoned space station and from there go on to explore an endless universe filled with procedurally generated planets:

Planets in Starbound are entirely procedurally generated and filled to the brim with unique content. We went into the planet generation with one simple goal: no two planets should be the same. By procedurally generating even the smallest details, we’re doing just that. Not only is the terrain of the planet procedurally generated, but the weather, the gravity, the difficulty level, the plant life, the behaviour and appearance of alien creatures, and much more all contain random or procedurally generated elements.

if the graphics look familiar it's because the company was founded by the graphics designer for Terraria.  it's only just been announced, but I'm kinda hoping they follow the Minecraft/Terraria model of getting into the alpha/beta if you pre-order the game.

Great find! I'm bookmarking this page and will be anxious for updates!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »

I do have to say some of the NPC's look intriguing:

Penguins and Snowmen, oh my!

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »

It is now early 2013, which is when they said this game would be released.    I don't think it's quite ready yet, but they do have a character editor available on their website (via their forums) that you can play around with.   There have also been a ton of new screenshots, alien races, etc posted on the site linked above.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »

pre-order is up

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 05:03:36 PM »

Looks pretty cool.  Theres a 4 pack discount of 25% as well so the standard pre-order which includes beta invites and steam keys and puts the individual price at $11.25 per person.

So anyone interested in a 4 pack?

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:28:34 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 16, 2013, 05:03:36 PM

Looks pretty cool.  Theres a 4 pack discount of 25% as well so the standard pre-order which includes beta invites and steam keys and puts the individual price at $11.25 per person.

So anyone interested in a 4 pack?

I'm in.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 01:16:39 AM »

When the beta actually rolls out, I'll be getting it.  Until then, they don't get my monies.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 01:21:08 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on April 17, 2013, 01:16:39 AM

When the beta actually rolls out, I'll be getting it.  Until then, they don't get my monies.

+1. And I'll probably just wait until it is out of beta before paying them.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »

RISE!

Starbound beta is "very close" now.   They have released info on how the beta is going to work on their page linked above.   

My luck is that it will release right along with the consoles.   
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »

sweet!  this fell off my radar.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »

I kind of want to see a comparison between this, and Edge of Space, which seem like the exact same products.

Starbound was made by the same artist as Terraria, which isn't saying much because it's just pixel art. Meanwhile Edge of Space was made by cast offs of the Terraria team.

And then there's Terraria 2 coming out.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »

T2 is probably a year or so out though, right?

Because I can,
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »

It is out! Downloading now off of Steam.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 09:18:10 PM »

interested in impressions, but it sound like I'll hold off until the third beta hits when it gets the quest line

Because I can,
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 12:51:57 AM »

God forbid they have a way to change controls at 'beta' launch. 

I'll go back to this in a month or two.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 12:53:55 AM »

Two state of the art consoles sitting here and yet I'm going to be playing the hell out of this.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 01:58:05 AM »

So I beamed down to my starting planet and happened to be within walking distance of a sentient species that appears to be in the medieval age.   They were peaceful but warned me not to try anything.   There was both peaceful and aggressive animals about as well.

Very cool so far.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 03:11:40 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 05, 2013, 12:53:55 AM

Two state of the art consoles sitting here and yet I'm going to be playing the hell out of this.

Yeah, that's how I am right now with Starbound as well. biggrin

Long story short - yes, it has a lot of resemblances with Terraria. Or if you never played that, Minecraft but on a 2D plane and with a LOT more combat.

Is it a bad thing? Oh hell no. I'm gonna be playing this for months to come.

One tip for everyone who is playing however. At the end of the (current) tutorial questline, it tells you to craft a distress beacon. Don't. Don't do it. Seriously don't make the thing. You're not ready for it.

Also you can leave your starter world. Your Super Spaceship of the Future!!! and stuff like that runs on coal. LOL

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 03:43:48 AM »

Upon further investigation, the sentient medieval civilization that is near my landing spot is robotic in nature.   They have robotic livestock and grow metal based crops.    Very peaceful though.  I've robbed their chests blind.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 03:56:35 AM »

no gamepad support? frown
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 03:58:29 AM »

Early beta, folks.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »

I'm really enjoying this one.  I'm intrigued about having to craft equipment to survive on some of the more inhospitable planets.  I love being able to beam back to the ship when I get into trouble.  I am excited to gather fuel and set out across the universe to see strange new worlds.

Lots of potential here!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 03:09:06 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 05, 2013, 12:53:55 AM

I know what you mean.  PS4 + 6 games ~640 bucks.  PSVita + 2 games and accessories ~250.

Playing:  Rayman Legends, which I could have bought on any of my current systems for around $20 on black friday.  :Doh!

in other words, please don't tell me the game is good already and has almost no issues as I'll buy it that much sooner and ignore the rest of my backlog games.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »

Useful tidbit (apologies if someone already said this in the thread) about spaceships in Starbound: They run on wood and/or coal.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »

dammit, need to stop reading this thread, it's making me want to get this game early  @#$(*&%

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 01:46:31 AM »

Well I did all I could do on the first planet.   Fueled up my ship and made the jump to a level 2 planet.   I'll report back in after going planet side.

Forested planet.   Purple hue to the ground.  No signs of civilization yet.   Aggressive birds and a small pokemon looking creature that is very tough and has sent me to the regen chamber twice.  Going to venture further from beam down area.

Entry 3:

WOW.  Ok this planet IS inhabited.   Encounted aggressive robots with shield technology and laser guns.   Had to beam out to avoid death.    There was an underground facility of some sort that I didn't get a chance to explore.
Unsure if these robots were devices of some carbon based life form, or if the robots themselves were sentient.   These are unlike the (peaceful)humanoid robotic sentient life on my starter planet.  These robots rolled on wheels and immediately threw up shields when they saw me.    More investigation to come unless I deem it too dangerous for my current tech levels.

Entry 4:

The wheeled robots were some sort of sentry for humanoid unfriendly aliens who have technology much more advanced than I do.   I tried to make contact and was blown to pieces.  Time to fuel up and leave this planet.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 03:33:05 AM by msduncan » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 02:28:52 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 05, 2013, 07:31:31 PM

dammit, need to stop reading this thread, it's making me want to get this game early  @#$(*&%

You obviously haven't watched Giant Bomb's Quick Look for Starbound.  No one who heard Brad Shoemaker's laser-like dissection of this game would give it a second look.

It's practically impossible to know what you're supposed to do.  For example, the quest log advises you to find some iron ore and smelt it in the furnace to create an anvil...but as soon as you close the window, that advice is gone.  You literally have to remember it, and if you can't, the only option is to open up the quest log and read it again.  Expect to be doing that a lot: if Brad Shoemaker, who was being paid exclusively to sit there and pay attention to the game, was repeatedly stymied by this Gordian memory quiz, I hardly think the rest of us stand a chance.

Also, can anyone explain why a game set in space does not start your character at the end of the tech tree, with cold fusion particle weapons that can effortlessly vaporize every enemy in the game?  Starbound actually starts you at the *beginning* of the tech tree and expects you to work your way up to those things over the course of the entire game!  What the hell kind of game is this?!

Thirdly, did you know there's a star with a diameter as wide as Saturn's orbit?  NEAT!

Starbound is easily the worst Terraria-like game since Terraria which, as I also learned from Brad Shoemaker, was also unplayably terrible.  He critiques games and translates them into worthwhile advice for a living.  If he was that stumped after that many minutes of having his face pointed towards a live play session with people actively answering his extremely coherent questions, none of us has a prayer.

-Autistic Angel
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 05:28:04 AM »

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 06:13:02 AM »

If he said that Terraria was unplayably terrible, and I know tons of people who love the game and have a blast with it... then he's wrong and I probably shouldn't trust his advice on a similar game.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 07:45:38 AM »

this looks fun too, might try it as well.  http://store.steampowered.com/app/257050/
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »

Having watched the quick look, one, Brad is just watching over some ones shoulder as he isn't playing the game, and two, I have no idea what AA is going on about...
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »

AA is using sarcasm to rip that reviewer a new one because he thinks he's an idiot.

Ok... so I jumped to another planet.  This one is arid and has a lot of copper and coal deposits.  It gets cold at night and I have to huddle around a campfire to stay alive.  I stumbled across an underground base belonging to some bizarre looking life forms.  They were aggressive, so I wiped them out and stole all of their goods.   They had some great stuff, including tents and floodlights that I can use for base camps.   I looted a lot of pixels.  If they had possessed beam weapons I wouldn't have been able to take them, but they didn't so I was victorious.

Packing up now to jump to another planet.   I'm staying on level 1 planets for now.   I was able to craft some copper armor - not a complete set.  More later!   
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 03:04:06 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 06, 2013, 07:45:38 AM

this looks fun too, might try it as well.  http://store.steampowered.com/app/257050/

I've been watching videos of this one and it seems pretty similar, minus the planet hopping aspect. Almost bought it before Starbound went early access.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 06, 2013, 02:53:03 PM

AA is using sarcasm to rip that reviewer a new one because he thinks he's an idiot.

Ok... so I jumped to another planet.  This one is arid and has a lot of copper and coal deposits.  It gets cold at night and I have to huddle around a campfire to stay alive.  I stumbled across an underground base belonging to some bizarre looking life forms.  They were aggressive, so I wiped them out and stole all of their goods.   They had some great stuff, including tents and floodlights that I can use for base camps.   I looted a lot of pixels.  If they had possessed beam weapons I wouldn't have been able to take them, but they didn't so I was victorious.

Packing up now to jump to another planet.   I'm staying on level 1 planets for now.   I was able to craft some copper armor - not a complete set.  More later!   

But the GB guys seemed to like it....
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 06, 2013, 02:53:03 PM

It gets cold at night and I have to huddle around a campfire to stay alive.

Of all the quotes that have gotten me intrigued about the game, this little one may have finally pushed me to a purchase.  I really like what I'm reading about how they modeled survival needs in the game.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »

Reading AA's post with the benefit of having slept, the sarcasm is a lot more apparent now.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 04:00:49 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 06, 2013, 03:04:06 PM

I've been watching videos of this one and it seems pretty similar, minus the planet hopping aspect. Almost bought it before Starbound went early access.

Darkout works (I bought it like 6 months or so ago via Desura) but there's something just 'off' about its core engine. Too much 'lag' between people swinging your way and hitting and such. I should fire it up again and see how it is nowadays.

Totally continuing to love Starbound though. I made a base of sorta on a level 7 Forest planet, beat the first 'boss', and now I can explore even more of the galaxy if I want to. Or wait for some more beta updates.

Decisions, decisions...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 04:16:53 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 06, 2013, 04:00:49 PM

Quote from: Caine on December 06, 2013, 03:04:06 PM

Darkout works (I bought it like 6 months or so ago via Desura) but there's something just 'off' about its core engine. Too much 'lag' between people swinging your way and hitting and such. I should fire it up again and see how it is nowadays.

Totally continuing to love Starbound though. I made a base of sorta on a level 7 Forest planet, beat the first 'boss', and now I can explore even more of the galaxy if I want to. Or wait for some more beta updates.

Decisions, decisions...

Dude... you are exploring level 7 planets and beating bosses?    You are way ahead of me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on December 06, 2013, 03:55:53 PM

Reading AA's post with the benefit of having slept, the sarcasm is a lot more apparent now.
I think the line that starts with 'Thirdly' gives it away.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: