http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 06:34:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Star Destroyer Missions  (Read 878 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2009, 02:35:27 AM »

Just imagine it. A game along the lines of Star Wolves and Nexus. You are a Vice Admiral in the Empire's Navy commanding a Star Destroyer. The higher ups task you with varied missions like putting down an insurrection on a rim planet, attacking a rebel space station or base, eliminating pirates on a vital trade route, tracking down criminal leaders on backwater planets and systems, boarding ships to inspect or take them over.

At your command you would have legions of Storm Troopers, AT-ATs, and all mannner of ground and army forces. For space you'd have your Tie Fighter and Tie Bomber squadrons along with more specialized ships like Tie Interceptors and Gunboats.

Maybe Darth Vader or the Emperor would call upon you for extra special missions now and then.

Well I'd at least love that.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:20:13 AM »

Don't tease us.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 05:05:30 AM »

Daehawk meter has gone from dislike to intense hatred.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:05:22 PM »

I dunno. I thought the whole idea behind Star Destroyers was that they carried so much firepower that the presence of even one was enough to cause fear in the system it was in. So, the challenges posed to one SD would not be much of a challenge at all. If they were a challenge for a Star Destroyer, then people would start to get the idea that SD's weren't so tough after all.

On second thought, maybe that's why the Rebellion got as far as it did. Maybe SD's were just paper tigers and it took a few courageous Rebels to get people to see that?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 01:22:36 PM »

Quote from: raydude on July 14, 2009, 01:05:22 PM

I dunno. I thought the whole idea behind Star Destroyers was that they carried so much firepower that the presence of even one was enough to cause fear in the system it was in. So, the challenges posed to one SD would not be much of a challenge at all. If they were a challenge for a Star Destroyer, then people would start to get the idea that SD's weren't so tough after all.

On second thought, maybe that's why the Rebellion got as far as it did. Maybe SD's were just paper tigers and it took a few courageous Rebels to get people to see that?

Your first thoughts are pretty much right. The Empire had thousands of Star Destroyers at its peak, but the amount of solar systems under their control was so large that they were still spread out thin. The Rebel Alliance never had weapons that were able to properly deal with Star Destroyers, so they tended to avoid them. The arrival of a Star Destoyer would be a cue to escape through hyperspace. The only rebel ship that could almost stand up to a SD would be the Mon Calamari cruisers, but the rebels only had a handful of those and couldn't take the chance of going toe to toe with Star Destroyers with them.

In short, life on a Star Destroyer must have been pretty boring. It was probably much more exciting to be a planetary governor, Moff or Grand Moff.

Also: Is it really necessary to make a whole new thread, in PC Gaming, about a game that doesn't exist and probably won't? Under a thread title that seems to indicate that the game is under production?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:25:19 PM by TiLT » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »

I always wanted to see a Millenium Falcon version of one of those space trading games like Freespace.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 14, 2009, 03:22:19 PM

I always wanted to see a Millenium Falcon version of one of those space trading games like Freespace.

Yes.  I was hoping that Alliance would be more like this but even though you start out in a Correllian light freighter (I forget the designation but it wasn't a YT-1300 like the Millenium Falcon) it quickly became a pure combat sim.

I've never understood why they can't take such a rich environment like the Star Wars universe and make a game that doesn't have to involve Jedi, The Empire, or the Alliance as anything more than a backdrop to a story that doesn't revolve around one of those.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:05:29 PM by TK-421 » Logged

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 08:21:45 PM »

Why aren't you at your post?

Or are you posting from..uh..your post?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on July 14, 2009, 08:02:47 PM

I've never understood why they can't take such a rich environment like the Star Wars universe and make a game that doesn't have to involve Jedi, The Empire, or the Alliance as anything more than a backdrop to a story that doesn't revolve around one of those.

I'm hoping that the upcoming Star Wars TV-show will pave the way for stuff like that, though I suspect there may be a jedi among the main characters.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 09:36:43 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 14, 2009, 09:34:54 PM

Quote from: TK-421 on July 14, 2009, 08:02:47 PM

I'm hoping that the upcoming Star Wars TV-show will pave the way for stuff like that, though I suspect there may be a jedi among the main characters.

the what? when? What?! Why?! Live-action? I cant stand the cartoons!

edit: found it!!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series

A new one
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »

I love The Clone Wars toon on tv. Never saw the movie version.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »

Quote from: raydude on July 14, 2009, 01:05:22 PM

What if you had the game take place post-ROTJ, like in the period of the Thrawn series?  The Empire sort of became the new outnumbered rebels at that point, didn't they?  Not only would it make your Star Destroyer and its missions more special (since there are fewer ships available to the Empire), the developers would also have a lot more freedom in events since it's outside the films.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 12:28:02 AM »

Its funny you mention Thrawn because it was him I was thinking of when I said vice Admiral instead of a captain smile

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 01:01:03 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 14, 2009, 01:22:36 PM

In short, life on a Star Destroyer must have been pretty boring. It was probably much more exciting to be a planetary governor, Moff or Grand Moff.

I doubt it, since STAR WARS IS FAKE Tongue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 01:09:01 PM »

Quote from: naednek on July 15, 2009, 01:01:03 PM

True history becomes legend, and legend becomes myth.  This stuff happened a long time ago, and pretty darn far away, so myth eventually became pop science fiction.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »

Prove it. slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 02:11:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 15, 2009, 01:24:52 PM

Prove it. slywink

yeah, prove that TiLT is not a descendant of Jar Jar Binks!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: