http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 08:49:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Kinect  (Read 3753 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:18:03 AM »

this is all from CVG

looks pretty good actually,although the new trailer is still 'staged' i want to see someone actually playing it so i can see what the lag is like..but with pod racing and X-wing(ARC-170) fights as well,looks like it could actually be......good!!..well better than i imagined anyway

enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0oiiwz6FQ

details
The first gameplay video, screens and details of Microsoft's Kinect Star Wars game have snuck out ahead of the platform holder's conference on Monday afternoon in the US.

Developed by Terminal Reality, the title will be released this Christmas, and comes with a variety of modes inspired by both the 'old' and 'new Star Wars trilogies.

A "Jedi Destiny" mode allows you to play one of several new characters in a story that begins shortly after the events of The Phantom Menace and concludes against the backdrop of Chancellor Palpatine's rise to power on Revenge of the Sith.

Areas pinched from the old/proper Star Wars trilogy include Bespin, the giant gas planet that's home to Cloud City from Empire Strikes Back, as well as a face-off with Darth Vader.

EW reports: "Players (either alone or with a friend/padawan) can "use The Force" to lift or throw objects by reaching out with a hand (or both hands, for moves that require extra effort), just like the Jedis do in the movies. You also use your hands to mimic other movements, like driving a pod-racer, firing the guns on an X-wing fighter, and of course, wielding a lightsaber to hack at droids and deflect laser bolts... although if you need the tactile experience of holding a laser sword, go ahead and use your toy lightsaber (we know you have one) -- it won't subvert the experience.

Voice commands have also been confirmed, but Microsoft hasn't released any further details on the function.

"What we found early in development is that [no one wants] to look like 'Star Wars kid' in front of [their] friends," says Craig Derrick, LucasArts' lead producer on the project.

"If I am doing these actions, and if I am seeing the character on screen repeating those actions, I want to look bad-ass. We decided to augment the animation, so when I sweep my hand right to left with my lightsaber, it's going to look cool. That was a major challenge and it works."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:25:11 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:30:25 PM »

Yeah, that looks like it might be pretty neat, or it might be awful.  We'll have to see how natural the control scheme feels.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »

I hope you have to jog on the spot, cuz EVERYONE loves that.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on June 06, 2011, 01:30:25 PM

Yeah, that looks like it might be pretty neat, or it might be awful.  We'll have to see how natural the control scheme feels.

My vote is for awful. People will wave their arms around a bit before they realize that:

1) They look like complete idiots.
2) There are much better Star Wars games that let you play a jedi.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:45:38 PM »

Auto-move from place to place, then flail around. Repeat until bored.

Whohoo! Fantastic game!  icon_twisted

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:04:36 PM »

That poor star wars kid has become a pop culture reference so well known that developers can invoke his name with widespread public understanding.  Poor guy.  With that out of the way, I'm glad the developers are thinking about how not to make us look goofy while playing the game.  Tongue 
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:17:19 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 06, 2011, 06:04:36 PM

That poor star wars kid has become a pop culture reference so well known that developers can invoke his name with widespread public understanding.  Poor guy.  With that out of the way, I'm glad the developers are thinking about how not to make us look goofy while playing the game.  Tongue 

They counter balanced it by making you yell "Lightsaber on" before a fight.

Gonna eat your face
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »

Quote from: Mikagami on June 07, 2011, 04:17:19 PM

That's not good, but I suppose it could have been worse.  They could have copied the Disney Jedi Academy show and made us yell, "Activate!" 

Sariah Gallego bowing before Vadar...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5mK7dzyUkM

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »

Quote from: Mikagami on June 07, 2011, 04:17:19 PM

I would rather make a lightsaber noise to get it going.  That's what I do in my head anyway.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:21:04 PM »

I wondering why you  would want your lightsaber off in a game like this...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »

doesn't sound promising

GameInformer

More frustratingly, I found that several elements of the game didn’t always work as responsively as I wished. A right-hand swipe motion that was supposed to unleash the lightsaber took a good five or six tries before it worked, and the game seemed to have trouble distinguishing whether I wanted to perform a force push or just lift enemies up. Also at one point in the halls of Cloud City, I dashed forward and got stuck against a wall. In order to progress, I had to make my character awkwardly perform his side jump a couple of times to get away from the wall.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 10:10:07 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 08, 2011, 09:58:03 PM

doesn't sound promising

GameInformer

More frustratingly, I found that several elements of the game didn’t always work as responsively as I wished. A right-hand swipe motion that was supposed to unleash the lightsaber took a good five or six tries before it worked, and the game seemed to have trouble distinguishing whether I wanted to perform a force push or just lift enemies up. Also at one point in the halls of Cloud City, I dashed forward and got stuck against a wall. In order to progress, I had to make my character awkwardly perform his side jump a couple of times to get away from the wall.
Just from that reveal video at E3 it didn't look promising. I wouldn't be getting any hopes up on the game.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »

GameInformer

Play as a Rancor Monster

this doesn't sound good though
Game Informer's Jeff Cork had a chance to play as this lumbering beast, and, well, had this to say: "You basically stomp around and Kinect occasionally does what you act out. You're on a timer and you have to create as much havok as possible before it runs out. You walk by stomping in place, and you turn your shoulders to change direction. Your arms are supposed to swing and grab stuff, but it didn't recognize my movements very well. You can do a ground pound to take out buildings. You can also pick up people and either throw them or eat them. Supposedly there will be more Rancor variants from the expanded universe, including one that flies."

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 05:37:18 PM »

This game has epic fail written all over it. I hope Giant Bomb does a video review of it so we can at least laugh at Gertzman flailing around and getting mad.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »

Why is the Rancor wearing what appears to be a dainty little hat in the last picture?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 05:54:52 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 16, 2011, 05:37:18 PM

This game has epic fail written all over it. I hope Giant Bomb does a video review of it so we can at least laugh at Gertzman flailing on the couch around and getting mad.

FTFY

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 03:45:57 AM »

That's too bad the controls don't work well.  The basic idea of a Kinect Godzilla city stomping game doesn't sound that bad.  Would make a pretty decent concept for a $10 XBLA game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 04:05:37 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 16, 2011, 04:51:00 PM

he's doing The Creep!

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 08:50:47 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on August 16, 2011, 05:44:12 PM

Why is the Rancor wearing what appears to be a dainty little hat in the last picture?

It's a satellite dish on a building behind him.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »

Delayed until 2012

this might be a good thing for the game if the lag was still very visible(from what i have heard)

as i had absolutely no chance of being able to get that R2D2 360,now its been pushed back to 2012...i have a well better chance  Tongue

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 06:02:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 24, 2011, 05:55:30 PM

Surprising move that they would decide to delay it, but not surprising that it needed it.  Maybe if they delay it long enough we can see another terrible presentation at next year's E3.  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 06:13:03 PM »

The ridiculous posture and poses of those frightened characters make me laugh. Good one krome...bwhahahahahahahahaha
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 12:19:49 AM »

While it certainly is possible that the sync is off between the two videos. Going by the GameInformer piece, though, wow is this bad. I had definite reservations when they would show the player trying to lift away the speeder or really do anything, but figured that it's something that could be better tuned. But the Rancor footage is just awful.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-11-rancor-smashing-gameplay/719375
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:24:21 AM by Andrew Wonser » Logged
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 05:37:15 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on August 28, 2011, 12:19:49 AM

While it certainly is possible that the sync is off between the two videos. Going by the GameInformer piece, though, wow is this bad. I had definite reservations when they would show the player trying to lift away the speeder or really do anything, but figured that it's something that could be better tuned. But the Rancor footage is just awful.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-11-rancor-smashing-gameplay/719375

the synchronization is definitely off between the two bits of footage.  if you pay close attention to the movements of both the rancor and the player, it's very obvious that the footage of the player lags way behind the gameplay video.  you can see the rancor doing a specific move, then you see the player do it almost two full seconds later.  because things are happening in-game well before the player's movements, it has to be an issue with how they produced the video rather than lag between the player's actions and the game's response.  if it were a problem with recognizing the player's actions and translating them into gameplay, the delay would be observed in the opposite direction (see the player move, followed much later by a corresponding action in the game).  i'm not saying it looks like good gameplay, but that is a very poorly assembled video that makes it look even worse than it might actually turn out...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 09:54:54 PM »

so, with the April 3rd launch date I've kinda leaning towards pre-ordering one of the bundles.  I don't care about the game, but the Star Wars geek in me wants the themed 360.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 08, 2012, 09:54:54 PM

so, with the April 3rd launch date I've kinda leaning towards pre-ordering one of the bundles.  I don't care about the game, but the Star Wars geek in me wants the themed 360.

who are you kidding? Tongue

New Galactic Dance Off mode loaded with Star Wars-themed pop tunes where those still honing their Jedi skills can take a break to battle Darth Vader on the dance floor or bust a move “Solo style.”

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 04:15:00 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 08, 2012, 10:08:34 PM

so, with the April 3rd launch date I've kinda leaning towards pre-ordering one of the bundles.  I don't care about the game, but the Star Wars geek in me wants the themed 360.

New Galactic Dance Off mode loaded with Star Wars-themed pop tunes where those still honing their Jedi skills can take a break to battle Darth Vader on the dance floor or bust a move “Solo style.”

CeeKay's "Solo" move has been retired ... or so thinks his fiancee.

Speaking of which, when can we expect invites to your star wars themed wedding?

I'm thinking of going as a short,fat wookie.

I'm showin' up nude, baby!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 04:36:29 AM »

Quote from: Purge on February 09, 2012, 04:15:00 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 08, 2012, 10:08:34 PM

CeeKay's "Solo" move has been retired ... or so thinks his fiancee.

Speaking of which, when can we expect invites to your star wars themed wedding?

I'm thinking of going as a short,fat wookie.

I'm showin' up nude, baby!

can someone pass me the mind bleach after you are done with it?  thank you

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »

Here's a clip.

It's everything you want in a Star Wars game.

Pod Racing!  Lightsaber duels!  Stormtroopers dancing to YMCA!

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 12:51:44 AM »

Good god, that game is a friggin' abomination.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 01:10:08 AM »

you had me at Dancing Stormtroopers.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 02:46:04 AM »

Wait, was one of the YMCA Stormtroopers packages glowing?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 03:15:32 AM »

Just watched that video and I have no words for what I saw.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 05:42:06 AM »

Who knew Lucas had a homosexual stormtrooper agenda?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 06:00:58 AM »

WTH
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 06:06:20 AM »

And I thought Episode 1 was bad. Holy shit.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 12:32:21 PM »

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 01:56:16 PM »

The comments section for the video sum it up in so many delicious ways.  I particularly like the part about it being time to take the "Arts" out of "LucasArts"....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 02:05:57 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 09, 2012, 01:56:16 PM

The comments section for the video sum it up in so many delicious ways.  I particularly like the part about it being time to take the "Arts" out of "LucasArts"....

While i would be happy if they took the Lucas away from Star Wars  icon_wink

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 09, 2012, 02:05:57 PM

Quote from: hepcat on March 09, 2012, 01:56:16 PM

While i would be happy if they took the Lucas away from Star Wars  icon_wink

.. in a pretty white coat with extra-long sleeves and shiny buckles in behind.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: