http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 05:44:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Has Impressed Me (not KOTOR)  (Read 938 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2005, 02:07:22 AM »

Ok, I was trying to think of a clever thread title, but no luck. Anyways, the title is true. Today I was really impressed by the demo for the first time in ages!

The game? Star Wars Republic Commando. I just got a copy of KOTOR2 today, and before booting it up I clicked on the republic commando demo thinking it was a movie-well damn was I suprised to see it was playable. It took me a time to realize this wasn't a straight up Doom3 run and gun with near unlimited health, but once I did, man did I fall in love with this game.

First of all-the graphics are awesome. Next, the sound is pure star wars, with fantastic voice acting by Temura Morrison (I think), awesome SW sound effects, and great music.

The gameplay is also top notch-from the one level I played easily the best console FPS mechanics since Halo 1+2. I could go on and on describing the nuanced gameplay, but suffice it to say this much-your teammates AI IS GOOD!!! I know, its hard to believe-the game also has an intersting sort of rock-paper-scisors thing going with the different suit-weapon attachment and the variety of grenades, since some enemies are shielded and some are not.

I was of course a little iffy on the controls, like with any console shooter, so I will likely get this on PC when it comes out March 1st-but damn, this is now one of my top 2 or 3 most anticipated games for the winter/spring.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 04:22:29 AM »

Ok, stop it.  My wallet is still hurting from picking up a Nintendo DS + games the other night.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 06:30:59 AM »

I agree.  Republic Commando looks pretty good.  With some of the delays on other titles, it's really come down now to either Republic Commando, Project Snowblind, or Brothers in Arms as far as my spring FPS choice goes.  I'm leaning towards Repub Commando right now, based on that demo, mainly because I can't justify another WW2 FPS (Brothers).

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 06:55:08 AM »

While I am by no means made of money, there is not a chacne in hell I will pass on Republic Commando or Brothers in Arms (thats my #1 most anticipated title of the winter/spring), and Project Snowblind looks seksay, its going to be tough to skip that one too smile

There are about another half dozen games coming out before summer I want too, but that is for another thread!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 12:41:34 PM »

Played the demo last night. Seems like there are some innovative touches and it has made its way onto my top five wants list.

Thing about demos for me though is I get frustrated because I don't really know how to do anything. I basically just hit buttons and see what happens.

The squad interaction seemed great and the weapon modding (instead of carrying a whole armory) was a great touch.

Voice work sounded good, but I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on.

Still, looking forward to getting it... some day (http://www.consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=53314#53314) slywink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: