http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:14:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek Legacy - Which System ?  (Read 1971 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2006, 03:17:22 PM »

I chose to post this in Console because it's probably the most read forum (I'm guessing).

For those of you getting this - are you planning on buying the 360 or the PC version and why?

Here is my take on it....

360 version may be more fun due to being able to sit on your butt on your nice couch and play over Live with or against friends.  Not to mention, I am going to guess that since it doesn't appear to be all that complicated a game, the interface will be a snap with the 360 controller.

PC version will probably look flat amazing and have the whole StarTrek Geek Mod Community to work on the things to make the game play 100 times better by the time they're finished.  (still has mp - but it's over gamespy - joy! )

I'm just sort of curious what your guys plans are here.

PC and xbox screens:

[attachment deleted by admin]

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »

Depending on reviews, the 360 at first and maybe the PC if it's popular enough for the mod community to support.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 04:13:48 PM »

360 here.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 04:17:02 PM »

Get both to solve your problems.  It's only money slywink

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 05:02:29 PM »

Neither version for me.  It's not true to the Star Trek license!  icon_wink

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 05:13:20 PM »

I'll be very interested to read some impressions of this one.  I've read posts from people who claim to have heard some very concerning things about the production of the game, including the fact that the much-touted ability to upgrade individual components on your ships has been entirely removed from the game.  I have no idea if that's true, but I'll be paying close attention to what people have to say about this one.

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 05:25:44 PM »

IF I get it (waiting on reviews), I'd get the PC version. Not only is it $20 less, but there will be no possibility of mods on the 360 version. For that matter - anybody know for sure if the PC version has mod support?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 05:26:51 PM »

PC version probably, as it is just easier for me to sneak away and play it at times.   PC version will most likely be much cheaper on sale as well.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 10:54:22 PM »

I'm a Star Trek geek so I'll eventually end up with both but buying 360 version first.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 08:39:25 PM »

Tre 60

To sit on the couch and play. Which is real important to my fat ass lately.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 09:45:05 PM »

including the fact that the much-touted ability to upgrade individual components on your ships has been entirely removed from the game.

anyone else hear / know anything about this? its a VERY big deal for me too (i could care less about this game if its just an rts without personnel / ship upgrading)
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 12:37:25 AM »

Co-op vs. the AI on the 360 over live... oh yeah!   Wave mode sounds like fun!

edit:  http://on10.net/Blogs/duncan/skirmish-mode-in-star-trek-legacy-for-the-xbox-360/

http://on10.net/Blogs/duncan/run-through-a-full-mission-in-star-trek-legacy/

couple vids of the game in action.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 01:11:31 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on December 07, 2006, 12:37:25 AM

Very interesting. And nice voice work of the single player mission shown.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 04:30:58 AM »

I am on the fence about getting the game, but if I do it will be the 360 version

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 02:41:09 PM »

I had a great time taking manual control of my ship in Bridge Commander and really loved the way it required you to divide your attention between managing multiple targets, tweaking your repair priorities, and adjusting your power levels on the fly.  The idea that there was going to be a new Star Trek game that focussed exclusively on that sort of methodical naval combat, except with a persistent fleet of ships that could be customized like party members in an RPG, made Star Trek: Legacy sound like a very exciting game.

I'm not sure how to feel about it after seeing some of those game play examples.  The pacing seems a lot faster than I would have expected -- the ships look so nimble that the combat looks like it's less about managing your firing arcs and shield facings, and just about having more overt firepower than your enemies.

Torpedoes definitely took some finesse at the helm in Bridge Commander because, unless you angled your ship to give your weapons a proper firing angle, they was no way they could arc back to hit a more nimble enemy.  From what I saw in those game play demonstrations, photon torpedoes appear capable of making nearly 90-degree turns to strike their targets.  Is it even possible for them to miss?  If not, they might as well just assign each ship a strict "damage per second" rating the way they do for weapons in World of WarCraft.

Finally, the rumor that all of the upgradeability and customization options have been removed from the game -- features which were repeatedly cited by the developers as being the features they were the most excited about -- is very concerning to me.  I really hope we can see some reviews of this game soon....

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 03:31:13 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 07, 2006, 02:41:09 PM

I really hope we can see some reviews of this game soon....

What shocks me is that for a game that (should) be this big, there aren't any reviews up at all yet. Normally not a good thing.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 04:05:47 PM »

Yea kinda seems like maybe the game may turn out to be bad or unfinished and all the damn delays.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 04:16:46 PM »

Well, here's one review to get us started.  I don't think it's particularly well written, and ironically, the reviewer's complaint about how you "slowly and awkwardly rotate your way through battles from any of the Trek eras" is actually a good sign to me.  If I wanted to play a game about nimble star fighters, I'd play...um...well, probably FreeSpace 2.  Man, that's a great game....

Anyways, just thought I'd share the review.

-Autistic Angel
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 04:49:27 PM »

Okay, that review hurt to read.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 04:50:19 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 07, 2006, 04:16:46 PM

Well, here's one review to get us started.  I don't think it's particularly well written, and ironically, the reviewer's complaint about how you "slowly and awkwardly rotate your way through battles from any of the Trek eras" is actually a good sign to me.  If I wanted to play a game about nimble star fighters, I'd play...um...well, probably FreeSpace 2.  Man, that's a great game....

Anyways, just thought I'd share the review.

-Autistic Angel

I'm hoping for a more tactical game as well.  Looks like this might work for me. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 04:50:37 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on December 07, 2006, 04:49:27 PM

And yes...not all writers are built the same.  You should see some of the submissions I get for 'writers' to work here...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 06:28:40 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 07, 2006, 04:50:19 PM

I'm hoping for a more tactical game as well.  Looks like this might work for me. smile

From the 'review':

Each mission starts with a nice little intro, episode title, and spoken voiceover by one of the five captains you order about as you zip through the Star Trek timeline. All very nice, all very Star Trek and all nice and atmospheric. Then you go into the same old space battle scenes. This always happens. The whole game is a bit of plot, then space battle scenes. Endless space battle scenes.

There goes that thought.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 07:32:32 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 07, 2006, 06:28:40 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 07, 2006, 04:50:19 PM

From the 'review':

Each mission starts with a nice little intro, episode title, and spoken voiceover by one of the five captains you order about as you zip through the Star Trek timeline. All very nice, all very Star Trek and all nice and atmospheric. Then you go into the same old space battle scenes. This always happens. The whole game is a bit of plot, then space battle scenes. Endless space battle scenes.

There goes that thought.

Endless space battle scenes.  Uh..where the hell else should it take place?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 07:34:24 PM »

On the bright side, as Raydude brings up over at OO...

The author did make this little gem of a comment:

"Weapons are equally hard and puzzling to use. Enemy ships need to be within phaser range to shoot at, which seems fair enough, but the rules about which direction you have to be facing in are bewildering."

saywhat

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 07:45:44 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 07, 2006, 04:50:37 PM

And yes...not all writers are built the same.  You should see some of the submissions I get for 'writers' to work here...

Having seen the writers that do write here...  :slywink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 10:44:47 PM »

The 1.1 patch has been released to fix an inability to connect to the GameSpy multiplayer service.

From looking through the early impressions, I've picked up on the following things:

1) You can target specific subsystems on enemy ships.  That's good to hear since I didn't see any of that in the game play demonstrations, and it was such a critical tactic in Bridge Commander.

2) Although you can specify the race you want AI players to be in a skirmish game, you cannot select which specific ships they will be using.  Instead, the AI makes its own selections based on the number of command points you've allowed.  A lot of people on the message forum seem really upset about this, so I would theorize Mad Doc might patch in more control here in the future.

3) Many people have mentioned that you cannot remap keyboard bindings within the game.  No word yet on whether or not it's possible to do through an .ini tweak or anything like that.

4) I still can't tell what the deal with with ship upgrades.  Some people have made vague comments about being unable to use upgraded or modified ships in multiplayer which makes me wonder if it's still possible to do during the single player campaign...?

-Autistic Angel
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 11:22:51 PM »

Hire me, I write good

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 11:33:45 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on December 07, 2006, 11:22:51 PM

Hire me, I write good

You used a shift key and a comma.  You are ahead of some of my current submissions.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: