http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:33:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Ruler  (Read 1883 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2010, 05:01:43 PM »

has anyone been following this one?  here's a teaser.  it's a 4X RTS, and it looks kinda neat but I don't remember hearing anything about it before I saw it on Direct2Drive for pre-order.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »

I've only heard scattered mumblings but it does look like one to keep an eye on.

Too bad the name "Space Game: A Game that Takes Place in Space" was already taken.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »

Star Compass was pretty good, but Star Protractor was awful.  I'll be waiting for reviews on this one.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:01:29 PM »

I kinda liked Star Bulbs and Star Rotary

A new one
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 09:30:23 PM »

There is a HUGE thread on the Penny Arcade forums and another thread on Quarter to Three.

Everyone agrees that it has a terrible name.

I've got it ordered, the price was low and it might be a laugh. The devs basically said that they are releasing the game a bit unfinished (i.e. not with all of the elements that they wanted to add to it) because they needed the money to continue development on it. They were up front about it, and I applaud them, but only if they hold to their promise for future additions. Apparently it also is very easy to mod, so they are hoping mods will expand the system as well.

Bael
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 01:19:52 AM »

Yeah, "Star Ruler" just doesn't measure up.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 03:08:56 AM »

From what I read at Penny Arcade about the game and from the official site, Star Ruler does sound interesting. The price is low enough that I'd ordinarily buy the game considering I like star ruling more than most humanoids.

I agree the name could've been better; I would've have called it Star Bursts!

I'd buy it, but I'm playing SE:V right now and I've become a bit too interested in my investigation of that game to turn to a new one.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:26:49 AM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 05:52:56 PM »

Does SEV work with Windows Vista and Windows 7 now? I wanted to reload that game, but after I got Windows Vista is became a slide show!
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »

I'm playing SEV using Windows XP, so I don't have direct knowledge on its compatibility with Vista or Windows 7.

However, a thread at SpaceEmpires.net on this subject exists: the results (as usual) are mixed but its apparently playable AND unplayable depending on the poster. 50% of those who voted on the poll were using either Win 7 or Vista.

Shrapnel Forums had little on Windows 7/ SEV compatibility - little that I saw other than a poster saying he could run SEV on Windows 7 though using the minimizing game button was problematical.

I have had no problems with SEV on Windows XP after maybe 40-50 hours play. I do however keep the number of empires, quantities of ships allowed, and galaxy size on the lower side. I've found those epic 20 empires and dozen neutral civilizations with thousands of ships to be annoyingly sloooooow - unplayable for all practical purposes.

If you ever try SEV on Windows 7 in the future, it'd be interesting to know your experience.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:48:31 AM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 08:37:13 PM »

I'm reinstalling SEV now... FOR SCIENCE!

I loaded Star Ruler and saw the tutorials. They don't seem overly helpful, but I guess I will see. The game looks like it will be interesting, but likely will only make me want to play something deeper. So I can see myself hitting Distant Worlds or SEV (should it work) rather than this one once I get the taste of 4X. But for the price and the promise of future expansion, it will provide a decent amount of fun.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »

Oh I forgot about this game!  I've had it pre-ordered for a while, I suppose I should download it. smile

With regard to SEV - absolutely unplayable for me on Win7-64.  I'm really pissed off about it.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 09:31:15 PM »

Bael, have you played any more Star Ruler yet?  I played around with it for half an hour last night and it definitely has potential.  It had me thinking of a kind of real-time Sword of the Stars, it has some similarities with Sins of a Solar Empire, and there's even a dash of Distant Worlds thrown in.  It has some issues although it's a lot more polished than I was expecting.  I found the camera to be really, really annoying and had a lot of trouble finding ships.  I'll definitely persevere with it though.

Steam profile
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »

Yeah, SEV is still unplayable on Win 7 for me too. Basically a slide-show, which totally sucks because I actually liked the game quite a bit.

I haven't had the time to play Star Ruler any more than just the 10 minute segment. I have SO MANY GAMES lined up that it is bordering on absurd.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »

any comparison to sins of a solar empire?  obviously, this is more grand in scale but i am curious as i just restarted soase with mods and noticed this was out.  looks interesting to be sure.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 24, 2010, 08:12:00 PM

any comparison to sins of a solar empire?  obviously, this is more grand in scale but i am curious as i just restarted soase with mods and noticed this was out.  looks interesting to be sure.

Not sure yet.  I mentioned Sins earlier because of the way you can freely move and rotate the camera and get close-in shots of your planets and fleets.  I need to play some more of this game, but I'd really like to read a manual.  Has anyone found one?!

Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 11:55:22 PM »

after a protracted wait this is now on Steam.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 02:53:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 20, 2010, 11:55:22 PM

after a protracted wait this is now on Steam.
good.  I'll hope for a good sale this winter.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 10:21:48 AM »

I played about an hour of this last night.  The devs have been slowly but surely plugging away at it, with loads of patches released.  The UI has changed a fair bit and it's a lot easier to get your bearings.  For example, when you zoom in on a system you now get a grid overlay.  The interface in general is...it's hard to put into words.  Everything's there, you just need to know where to look for it.  Sometimes it seems really complex, other times it seems very simple.  It's a strange beast, but it works at least.

Star Ruler is only the second game I've ever seen that comes with a built-in IRC client!  Right there from within the game, I was chatting with fellow players and even the devs were there too - all friendly and welcoming, helping me out, explaining mechanics, and not once telling me to RTFM.  There were about 20 people in there and it was a pleasure chatting to them as I played.  Of course, grand strategy games are perfect for chatting as you play.

I still don't fully understand the game but I know a lot more than I did the last time I attempted to play it.  There's a relatively simplistic economy at work here.  It's very similar to Space Empires in this regard.  Every planet you colonise can produce metals, which are in turn "refined" into electronics, and both are further used to make "advanced parts."  Obviously everything you can make in the game costs differing amounts of these three resources.  In addition you must also produce food, goods and luxuries which your populations demand.  Don't supply them with luxuries and they'll become unhappy and will in turn revolt.  Deny them food and they will, of course, die.

Ship building, as is so often the case in these games, comes down to designing new blueprints based on components and technologies you've researched.  You'll feel right at home.  All I've done with ships, so far, is throw out a couple of fleets of fighters and cruisers and left them "parked" in a couple of systems to defend.  A scout was spat out to explore, and I've been churning out colony ships.  So far I haven't seen any barriers to colonisation; it seems you can colonise pretty much any planet you encounter, but some will have more room to produce structures than others.

It's kind of a real-time Space Empires with a dash of Distant Worlds thrown in, basically.  I only played for an hour and there are some aspects of the game I haven't even looked at yet, but I really liked what I saw and definitely plan to carry on playing tonight.  I'll post more impressions afterward if anyone's interested.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:23:50 AM by Huw the Poo » Logged

Steam profile
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »

This is on sale for $5 through Steam.  Any updated impressions?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »

Quote from: Shinjin on June 24, 2011, 05:38:07 PM

This is on sale for $5 through Steam.  Any updated impressions?
I just went ahead and grabbed it, but my gaming time has been nonexistent so it will be awhile before I get to it.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: