http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 09:41:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Ocean 4 - first details and screens!  (Read 4058 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:35:24 PM »

RPGamer has some scans with tiny screenshots of Star Ocean 4 here.  There are some details translated from the article here.

• The game "isn't that far off"
• He concedes that past Star Ocean games have not really felt like they were set in an ocean of stars. In this one you will be able to pilot a ship and travel to different worlds, and while it will retain fantasy elements, it will live up to the series' title more than the previous games in the series have.
• The heroine's name is Reimi. The hero's name is... EDGE MAVERICK!
• There aren't just two or three planets in the galaxy this time. There are more. Sounds like a lot more.
• You can have four companions with you in battle this time. There are a lot of new elements and it doesn't really feel like the battle system of SO3.
• Private Actions will, of course, return.

I also read that you may be able to fight ship battles, as in Skies of Arcadia.  They haven't announced which console it's coming to yet, but most people are assuming it'll be PS3 exclusive.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:37:16 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 08:42:19 PM »

sounds interesting.  i still haven't loaded up so3 so maybe i'll give it a try before this one comes out.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:52:39 PM »

which one is 'til the end of time?

because thats the one i have,and i liked it a lot,unfortunately i got to a point where all i was doing was crash landing on a different planet and trying to fix my ship and get off the planet and then repeat...or so it seemed...one day,i will go back to the mammoth game(well it was on two DVDs)and play it again,i have already tried it on my PS3 and it works fine

i will prolly buy this,regardless of what machine....saying that though it wouldn't suprise me if this appeared on the 360,Squeenix to me feel as though they want to support the 360,...but maybe not with their flagship that is final fantasy(unless its number 11..that was just common sense to put it on the 360)...but with the games they are weary about.....project sylpheed and this seem perfect,both to me seem more cult games that serious commercial games...perhaps all that though is just me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 10:08:58 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 05, 2007, 09:52:39 PM

which one is 'til the end of time?

Star Ocean 3

the one on the PS2
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 11:15:32 PM »

I wouldn't exactly be surprised to see it on the 360 but unless it's confirmed shortly, I think the Blue Dragon NPDs are going to turn JRPG developers from worrying about make a 360 SKU for western markets (FWIW, I now think BD is going to bomb horribly due to a multitude of mismanagement on MS's part). 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 01:41:22 AM »

Have they said whether this will be on next-gen platforms or not? Hard to tell from those small scans.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 01:43:54 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 05, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I wouldn't exactly be surprised to see it on the 360 but unless it's confirmed shortly, I think the Blue Dragon NPDs are going to turn JRPG developers from worrying about make a 360 SKU for western markets (FWIW, I now think BD is going to bomb horribly due to a multitude of mismanagement on MS's part). 

That would be really sad, Blue Dragon deserves more acclaim than it has been receiving. My biggest concern is developers putting all their JRPGs onto the Wii and passing on a 360 or PS3 version because of userbase rejection (360's case) or not a big enough userbase to begin with (PS3).

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 01:53:33 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 06, 2007, 01:43:54 AM

That would be really sad, Blue Dragon deserves more acclaim than it has been receiving. My biggest concern is developers putting all their JRPGs onto the Wii and passing on a 360 or PS3 version because of userbase rejection (360's case) or not a big enough userbase to begin with (PS3).

Personally, I'm fine if that happens (PS2 RPGs still kick plenty of ass and the Wii can do the same) and I do think it's pretty likely.  Eternal Sonata will do worse than BD here so considering the lack of significant 360 JRPG announcements in quite a long time I'm predicting that the genre is officially DOA on the 360 unless Lost Odyssey pulls off a miracle. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 04:04:27 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 06, 2007, 01:53:33 AM

Quote from: Ridah on September 06, 2007, 01:43:54 AM

Personally, I'm fine if that happens (PS2 RPGs still kick plenty of ass and the Wii can do the same) and I do think it's pretty likely.  Eternal Sonata will do worse than BD here so considering the lack of significant 360 JRPG announcements in quite a long time I'm predicting that the genre is officially DOA on the 360 unless Lost Odyssey pulls off a miracle. 

I agree, just no way I can see a JRPG developer going with a console that's not really popular in Japan. So for the next year or 2 that means the PS2 or the Wii. I'd personally love to see an action-JRPG like Star Ocean end up on the Wii, but I'd be quite happy if it's developed for the PS2. Till the End of Time had decent production values and it some ways it pushed the envelope on the PS2.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 04:06:48 AM by kronovan » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 06:07:19 AM »

The developer said that the game was being made on "hardware that can display beautiful graphics", and the screenshot of the main characters looks like it's either PS3 or 360.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 06:17:43 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 06, 2007, 06:07:19 AM

The developer said that the game was being made on "hardware that can display beautiful graphics", and the screenshot of the main characters looks like it's either PS3 or 360.

Nice, that definately takes the Wii off the list then. After playing Blue Dragon there's no way I can go back to ancient graphics.

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 12:31:32 PM »

Yeah Tri-Ace is one of the few JRPG developers I expect to focus most of their energy on PS3 or 360 since their games are so much technical showpieces.  The only other JRPG dev I would say that applies to are the FF teams at SE.  Level 5 to a degree but they've been doing so much standout work on lesser powered equipment like DS and PSP that I wouldn't be surprised to see them tackle some more PS2 games or even something on Wii. 

Most of the primary JRPG shops (SMT series,Tales, Suikoden, Wild Arms, etc) rely much more on artistic prowess than technical stuff and I don't see them in much of a hurry to make the jump to "next gen."  I think the Vanillaware Wii title is a sign of things to come. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 06, 2007, 12:31:32 PM

Yeah Tri-Ace is one of the few JRPG developers I expect to focus most of their energy on PS3 or 360 since their games are so much technical showpieces.  The only other JRPG dev I would say that applies to are the FF teams at SE.  Level 5 to a degree but they've been doing so much standout work on lesser powered equipment like DS and PSP that I wouldn't be surprised to see them tackle some more PS2 games or even something on Wii. 

Most of the primary JRPG shops (SMT series,Tales, Suikoden, Wild Arms, etc) rely much more on artistic prowess than technical stuff and I don't see them in much of a hurry to make the jump to "next gen."  I think the Vanillaware Wii title is a sign of things to come. 

Its difficult to say how the RPG landscape will turn out. With the exception of your heavy hitters (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc) RPG titles rarely break 500,000 units in sales worldwide, and most never crack 250,000. Blue Dragon will definitely hit 250,000 units, and I think it will probably end up around 400,000 units by year end. That isn't bad at all for a title with no pedigree. I'm sure insiders at MS were trying to convince themselves it would be the next Final Fantasy, but anyone grounded in reality probably never believed that. There is also still hope on the 360 with the upcoming releases such as Tri Ace's Infinite Undiscovery and Mistwalker's Lost Odyssey. I agree with the sentiment that Eternal Sonata will only gather a cult following, however.

Going back to Blue Dragon for a moment, the real problem with the game is that it really is one of those slow burn titles. Mistwalker absolutely failed to follow the Final Fantasy methodology of front loading the first few hours of gameplay with amazing graphics and several outstanding CGI scenes. Whoever decided that the first true enemy would be a giant shark fin swimming around in the dirt should be dragged into the street and capped in the head Fallout style. The later part of the game dramatically outshines the beginning, but the majority of the reviewers will never get that far.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 03:56:27 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 06, 2007, 03:37:38 PM

Its difficult to say how the RPG landscape will turn out. With the exception of your heavy hitters (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc) RPG titles rarely break 500,000 units in sales worldwide, and most never crack 250,000. Blue Dragon will definitely hit 250,000 units, and I think it will probably end up around 400,000 units by year end. That isn't bad at all for a title with no pedigree. I'm sure insiders at MS were trying to convince themselves it would be the next Final Fantasy, but anyone grounded in reality probably never believed that. There is also still hope on the 360 with the upcoming releases such as Tri Ace's Infinite Undiscovery and Mistwalker's Lost Odyssey. I agree with the sentiment that Eternal Sonata will only gather a cult following, however.

Blue Dragon isn't a title without a pedigree.  If fact, the title is really all about it's pedigree.  It's not an existing IP but the game was being sold on being it's core trio of Sakaguchi, Uemetsu, and Toriyama.  Blue Dragon's entire role was to make other JRPG developers see the 360 as a viable platform by selling the console itself in Japan and doing well enough in Western Markets to make JRPG developers see that as a key piece in their financial planning.  It failed the former (sure it sold to in an insane attach rate but made no lasting effect on hardware sales)  and I think it's going to fail as the latter as well.  The message being sent to JRPG developers is  that if a dream team like this can't sell more than half a million copies as a second party with zero completition on the platform, what chance does anyone else have?  400k for Infinite Undiscovery would be good (not great) but for Blue Dragon it's a bomb.  Maybe Lost Odyssey can turn it around but I think that's pretty much the last chance. 

Again, after a flurry of announcements last year, new JRPGs have really dried up.  I think most of the JRPG developers have been taking a wait and see approach to determine which way to move and right now there is absolutely zero evidence that a title on anything but DS, PS2, or Wii is the way to go. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 05:46:35 PM »

I think a lot of developers are going to start taking chances and putting their RPGs on the PS3.  Given the fact that RPGs take fairly long to develop, the PS3 should be in a much better position by the time they're ready for release.  FF13 will help move a lot of PS3s, and there should be some price drops and many more games by then.  The Wii would make sense for RPGs, but other than the Tales of Symphonia sequel and the Odin Sphere follow-up, I'm not seeing much on the Wii RPG landscape.  The SMT and Disgaea series having already announced they're going to the PS3, and there's a good chance Star Ocean is as well.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 06:14:04 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 06, 2007, 03:56:27 PM

Again, after a flurry of announcements last year, new JRPGs have really dried up.  I think most of the JRPG developers have been taking a wait and see approach to determine which way to move and right now there is absolutely zero evidence that a title on anything but DS, PS2, or Wii is the way to go. 

I disagree, the only RPGs selling well on the DS and PS2 are the big-name RPGs, other than that, how have the others been selling? Is Wild Arms 5 going to sell well? Persona 3? I have a hard time believing they will do a fraction of what the Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy games on PS2 have. And as far as the Wii goes, even with a large userbase you have to keep in mind the demographic of the userbase, which I would imagine is mosty made up of people still watching Nickelodeon, far from the perfect audience for an RPG.

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 06:15:36 PM »

Star Ocean will certainly be on at least the PS3 even if it's not exclusive.  Disgaea I think is an experiment but if it doesn't sell to expectations then I think it will be quite easy for them to fall back to PS2 or even go to the Wii.  SMT doesn't have an actual title announced AFAIK so until we see it I think their plans are pretty fluid. 

TGS should be pretty enlightening but I still think we aren't seeing announcements because the developers flat out don't know where to go.  My guess is that most JRPG design right now is done with the limitations of the PS2 and Wii in mind with an eye toward some high res enhancements if they decide to jump to PS3 and/or 360 which is kind of what you see with Disgaea 3- it's basically just high-res Disgaea. 

FF13 should definitely help but it's still so far off that it can't turn any fortunes for quite a while.

Eddie you follow this stuff more closely than I do so maybe you know better but basically here's the status of most dev houses/franchises that I can think of:

SE - Spreading the love all around:  two FFs announced for the PS3, Crystal Chronicles for Wii and DS, and Last Detail (or whatever it's called) for both 360/PS3.  Main DQ title going to DS, *massive* Final Fantasy love on the the DS, DQ title for the Wii, numerous rumors about Kingdom Hearts being spread to all consoles, etc.  Tri-Ace games will amost certainly be PS3 and/or X360.

SMT- Not much concrete.  No real SMT announcements (ie SMT 4, Persona 4, Devil Summoner games, etc). 

Tales group- DS seems to be the big focus along with a Wii game.  Despite early rumors about a 360 Tales title, nothing announced for PS3/X360.  Wii, DS, and PSP getting all of the love for this franchise

Suikoden-  Still no announcement of new title despite previous being over a year old. 

Wild Arms- Last title came out nearly a year ago.  No new announcements that I know of. 

Monolithsoft - purchased by Nintendo.  Any future RPGs will appear on Wii.

Tri-Crescendo- Eternal Sonata received extremely lukewarm reception in Japan.  Stateside likely to be the same.  No idea what they'll do next but it's still early. 

Breath of Fire- seems dead after the drubbing BoF V took. 

NIS- Disgaea 3 announced for PS3.  Haven't heard much else from them. 

Level 5- White Knight Story for PS3.  Relationship with Sony still seems pretty strong but they are are still doing DQIX for SE on the DS along with self publishing other DS titles. 

I know it takes time to get RPGs up to speed on new hardware but I still think the absolute lack of concrete announcements isn't good news. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 06:26:15 PM »

Whoever decided that the first true enemy would be a giant shark fin swimming around in the dirt should be dragged into the street and capped in the head Fallout style.

wasnt the second enemy a giant Poo?,LOL icon_lol

and as for those screenshots of SO4-is it me or is the pictures of the lead guy(Edge Maverick-i want that name,LOL),look a lot like cloud,especially with his gigantic sword slung over his back

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 06:31:17 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 06, 2007, 06:14:04 PM

I disagree, the only RPGs selling well on the DS and PS2 are the big-name RPGs, other than that, how have the others been selling? Is Wild Arms 5 going to sell well? Persona 3? I have a hard time believing they will do a fraction of what the Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy games on PS2 have. And as far as the Wii goes, even with a large userbase you have to keep in mind the demographic of the userbase, which I would imagine is mosty made up of people still watching Nickelodeon, far from the perfect audience for an RPG.

You're speaking from a western perspective but that doesn't really apply to this genre.  The bread and butter of the JRPG is the Japanese market.  Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts' incredible worldwide success means they are the exception.  Most series live and die based on Japanese sales.  It's the rare JRPG where success in the US pushes forward the future of the franchise.  They are designed to be profitable based on sales there so the expectation for US releases is just to cover the costs of localization.   That's why despite never hitting the Top 10 or Top 20 in the US, it's profitable for these companies to make six Wild Arms games, more than ten SMT games, ten or more Tales games, six Suikodens, five Growlansers, etc. 

That's why companies like NIS and Atlus reuse their engine and art assets so much- most are designed to be profitable by selling just 200k or so in Japan. US market is just gravy so for the longest time a lot of these titles weren't even worth localizing here.  Indeed Atlus USA has carved out a respectable niche doing exactly that- they 've streamlined their localization process and built up a small but loyal fanbase to make it profitable to bring over titles this past generation that we wouldn't have got generations before.  Or why a house like XSeed is in business because it's not even worth Sony's while to to publish Wild Arms 5 in North America even though they were the Japanese publisher. 

So you have to look at the Wii and the DS in context of the Japanese market.  Over there they are the only game in town with the PS3 and X360 getting beat up much worse than they are stateside.  A JRPG developer sees the PS2 fanbase that bought all of those RPGs  migrating to Nintendo's consoles and if you develop for the 360 and PS3 then you take a risk at developing for the console where your fanbase doesn't exist in decent numbers.  It's the rare RPG like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest that can actually get RPG fans to buy the hardware for the game. 

For example, Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube was the lowest selling Tales game in Japan.  However once they ported it to the PS2 many months later then the PS2 version's sales eclipsed the Cube's sales despite it being a much inferior port. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:33:33 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 09:51:01 PM »

The RPG market is changing, though, and US sales are becoming more important.  We're starting to see simultaneous Japan/US releases with games like Last Remnant and Lost Odyssey.  I don't think the US sales are just seen as a bonus anymore, even for niche games.  Wild ARMs 5 might only sell 100,000 copies in the US, but it probably only sold a couple hundred thousand in Japan.  The Shadow Hearts series did about the same numbers in Japan and the US, and Baten Kaitos sold more copies in the US than in Japan. 

I think the key to RPG sales is consistency.  RPGs like Persona 3 and Wild ARMs 5 aren't going to sell a million copies, but they will sell to the niche RPG crowd, and those are sales you can pretty much count on.  The publishers know they won't have a big hit, but they won't have a big flop either.  That's probably very appealing to publishers.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 11:02:17 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 06, 2007, 09:51:01 PM

The RPG market is changing, though, and US sales are becoming more important.  We're starting to see simultaneous Japan/US releases with games like Last Remnant and Lost Odyssey.  I don't think the US sales are just seen as a bonus anymore, even for niche games.  Wild ARMs 5 might only sell 100,000 copies in the US, but it probably only sold a couple hundred thousand in Japan.  The Shadow Hearts series did about the same numbers in Japan and the US, and Baten Kaitos sold more copies in the US than in Japan. 

I think the key to RPG sales is consistency.  RPGs like Persona 3 and Wild ARMs 5 aren't going to sell a million copies, but they will sell to the niche RPG crowd, and those are sales you can pretty much count on.  The publishers know they won't have a big hit, but they won't have a big flop either.  That's probably very appealing to publishers.

Based on a recent comment from a higher up at MS, I suspect that the simultaneous release of Lost Odyssey won't happen.  I do think the US market is *much* more important if you are developing on PS3 or 360 because the individual market for either console isn't big enough in Japan which is why SE will do Last Remnant simultaneously but not FF Revenant Wings, DQ Swords, etc.  But that drives home my point- if the US 360 audience doesn't embrace JRPGs (indications to me now are that they aren't) then you've just lost that key to making a profitable "next gen" RPG since the home market for those consoles isn't as strong as it was with the PS2.

Also, if the US market was important for WA5 then it would be Sony publishing here, not XSeed.  Shadow Hearts and Baten Kaitos are poor examples because they were unsuccessful series which likely won't see future installments. Heck, Namco didn't even feel like publishing BK2 in America so it was Nintendo who brought it over (thankfully getting us a better localization).  Selling better in America didn't make much of a difference for those titles. Xenosaga would be a better illustration since it was the better than expected sales of XS1 in the US after it disappointed in Japan that got XS2 greenlit.  But those titles are very much the exception. 

I do agree that the market is changing but right now there really isn't any correct path so people are kind of doing there own thing until they find something that sticks. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 02:10:57 AM »

Blue Dragon isn't a title without a pedigree.  If fact, the title is really all about it's pedigree.  It's not an existing IP but the game was being sold on being it's core trio of Sakaguchi, Uemetsu, and Toriyama.  Blue Dragon's entire role was to make other JRPG developers see the 360 as a viable platform by selling the console itself in Japan and doing well enough in Western Markets to make JRPG developers see that as a key piece in their financial planning.  It failed the former (sure it sold to in an insane attach rate but made no lasting effect on hardware sales)  and I think it's going to fail as the latter as well. 

Developer pedigree is far different than Title pedigree. Unlike in Japan and Korea where developers are often treated like celebrities, most Americans have absolutely no idea who created their gaming experiences. Blue Dragon will do respectable numbers, but Final Fantasy would have sold extremely well on the 360. That is the basic difference between a pedigree based on names vs games.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 02:41:08 AM »

Ah, I was really referring to Japan.  I think MS was genuinely hoping that BD would sell 500k-1 million consoles in Japan.  It's a tougher climb in America but I think MS did a good job about getting the word out over here.  I do think MS had built this game's pedigree in America as a Premiere First Party RPG.  Awareness is high but the interest level isn't.

I genuinely believe what I said in the BD thread- if this had been a spring or early summer release with no demo then it would have easily done well over 300k it's first month.  There was a lot of interest in the game that the demo really soured and even the generally positive comments from people playing the final version aren't really enough to get any attention right now with the glut of software we're seeing going into the holidays.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 06:50:31 AM »

Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this conversation about JRPGs and the US market and all that guys, really good ideas, information, and speculation-fun to read.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 08:55:18 AM »

Even though I own a PS3 and 360, I hope that Microsoft doesn't ignore the RPG market like it "mostly" did with the original XBOX.  I know there are some great upcoming RPG/titles coming out, but beyond that, I don't know of any.  I hope some new RPG franchises makes its way to the box.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 11:47:40 AM »

It will be very interesting to see how well Lost Odyssey sells in both Japan and the US.  The Final Fantasy style of Lost Odyssey is much more popular in the US than the Dragon Quest style of Blue Dragon, so that bodes well for its chances in the US.  On the other hand, if any game were going to sell the 360 in Japan (other than Dragon Quest itself) it was Blue Dragon.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 07, 2007, 08:55:18 AM

Even though I own a PS3 and 360, I hope that Microsoft doesn't ignore the RPG market like it "mostly" did with the original XBOX.  I know there are some great upcoming RPG/titles coming out, but beyond that, I don't know of any.  I hope some new RPG franchises makes its way to the box.

I'll give MS credit here- they've done about as much as can be expected.  Snagging Sakaguchi was a good move and, on paper, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were directly targeted at Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy fans.  They've also managed to convince a couple of other houses to support the platform with Enchanted Arms, Eternal Sonata, and Infinite Undiscovery.  But at this point it pretty much comes down to sales numbers- if the numbers aren't there (and so far they haven't been) then there is really no incentive for third party JRPG devs to continue on the platform.  We might get a couple of more Mistwalker titles from MS itself but at this point, despite some good effort from MS, I think the genre is going to dry up on the platform.

Quote from: EddieA on September 07, 2007, 11:47:40 AM

It will be very interesting to see how well Lost Odyssey sells in both Japan and the US.  The Final Fantasy style of Lost Odyssey is much more popular in the US than the Dragon Quest style of Blue Dragon, so that bodes well for its chances in the US.  On the other hand, if any game were going to sell the 360 in Japan (other than Dragon Quest itself) it was Blue Dragon.

Yeah, it definitely has a lot more potential in the US.  Interested to see what they do with the release- on the surface a December release looks good since it's a light month compared to October-November but that would also be right on the heels of Mass Effect.  While I firmly believe that JRPGs and Western RPGs are for all intents and purposes different genres, the proximity between the two games is going to hurt getting Western RPG fans to sample LO. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 01:29:36 PM »

i know its not JRPG,maybe more action RPG,but knights of the old republic did great on the xbox,i am sure MS would want more RPGs,no matter how they are(JRPGS or not).

to tell you the truth i wanted to see that microsoft  fantasy game they had going but cancelled it for some reason...true fantasy i think it was called,it looked like it was going to be okay...i prolly would of bought it

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 01:37:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 07, 2007, 01:29:36 PM

i know its not JRPG,maybe more action RPG,but knights of the old republic did great on the xbox,i am sure MS would want more RPGs,no matter how they are(JRPGS or not).

Again, Western RPGs (ie KOTOR) and JRPGs are pretty much different genres.  Xbox 1 did very well with western RPGs (KOTORs, Jade Empire, Morrowind, Fable) and the 360 looks to follow suit.  JRPGs are still unproven financially on an Xbox platform though. 

The game you are referring to is True Fantasy Online, an MMORPG that was being developed by the awesome Level 5 (DQ8, Dark Cloud, Jeanne D'Arc, White Knight Story, Rogue Galaxy) and published by MS. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 02:31:35 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 07, 2007, 01:37:42 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 07, 2007, 01:29:36 PM

Again, Western RPGs (ie KOTOR) and JRPGs are pretty much different genres.  Xbox 1 did very well with western RPGs (KOTORs, Jade Empire, Morrowind, Fable) and the 360 looks to follow suit.  JRPGs are still unproven financially on an Xbox platform though. 

The game you are referring to is True Fantasy Online, an MMORPG that was being developed by the awesome Level 5 (DQ8, Dark Cloud, Jeanne D'Arc, White Knight Story, Rogue Galaxy) and published by MS. 

I agree that Western and JRPGs should not be categorized together.

All things considered, I think MS made a very solid effort at trying to attract JRPGs to the console. You basically have:

Released:
Enchanted Arms
Blue Dragon
FF XI Online

Around the corner:
Eternal Sonata

In the pipeline:
Cry On (action rpg)
Infinite Undiscovery
Lost Odyssey
and don't forget...The Last Remnant   http://na.square-enix.com/remnant/

In relation to JRPGs, I think the astounding success of the Wii and DS (something that NOBODY forecasted) is the true thorn in Microsoft's side.   Both pieces of hardware are going to start drawing in larger amounts of developers' money, as witnessed with the increasing love Square Enix is showering upon Nintendo.

Lost Odyssey will be important for obvious reasons, but I'm very interested in The Last Remnant. Here we will finally see a Square Enix RPG released simultaneously for the PS3 and Xbox 360. If the 360 sells more copies worldwide, it will be an interesting turn of events.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 02:35:36 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 02:45:17 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 07, 2007, 02:31:35 PM

All things considered, I think MS made a very solid effort at trying to attract JRPGs to the console. You basically have:

Yeah the initial effort was good.  But when you look at that list the only game that wasn't announced a year ago is Last Remnant. 

I think Last Remnant has an excellent shot at selling more on 360 as long as the game comes out before FF13.  I don't think people in Japan will buy a PS3 for Last Remnant but if they already bought one for FF13...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 06:36:59 AM »

Square Enix has launched a portal site for the Star Ocean series here.  There's nothing for SO4 yet, but I assume they'll put up the trailer once the Tokyo Game Show starts.  Also, RPGamer has some new shots for the PSP remakes of the first two SO games here.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 03:38:10 PM »

Hope we get the PSP remakes here Especially the first game which was never officially released.  I played the fansubbed version a bit and was pretty impressed. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2007, 03:43:08 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 08, 2007, 03:38:10 PM

Hope we get the PSP remakes here Especially the first game which was never officially released.  I played the fansubbed version a bit and was pretty impressed. 

i would love to see the PSP remakes as well...so i'm in

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2007, 04:43:55 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 07, 2007, 06:50:31 AM

Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this conversation about JRPGs and the US market and all that guys, really good ideas, information, and speculation-fun to read.

Thanks for the pad... I mean input.

The thing I fear most about the 360 platform is it becoming simply a cheap alternative to PC gaming, which seems to be the most natural path for it to take. We've seen that the majority of successful titles, such as Oblivion, Bioshock, and so on, are also PC titles or is a series that originated on the PC (or in Halo's case, the Mac) platform. We need games like Star Ocean 4 and Blue Dragon in order to broaden the horizon on the 360. It would be one thing if the PS3 were successful at this point and the non-PC and Japanese titles were heading that direction, but since the PS3 is pretty much bombing, the only alternative the Wii, and I shun the day I have to do my gaming on obsolete hardware.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 04:46:08 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2007, 06:45:15 PM »

I'll echo Calvin here.  Anytime Kevin, Dante, and Eddie get into an RPG discussion, it's fun for the rest of us.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2007, 07:33:58 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 08, 2007, 04:43:55 PM

OMFG CALVIN OVERREACTED BAD CAL!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 10:03:18 PM by Calvin » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2007, 07:36:39 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 08, 2007, 06:36:59 AM

Square Enix has launched a portal site for the Star Ocean series here.  There's nothing for SO4 yet, but I assume they'll put up the trailer once the Tokyo Game Show starts.  Also, RPGamer has some new shots for the PSP remakes of the first two SO games here.

I think RPGamer is claiming SO4 is PS3 exclusive now, right? Or did I misread that post yesterday (think I saw it on GAF). Also, I thought that SO1 and SO2 remakes were for US as well-I thought I saw english screenshots. Bummer if not frown
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2007, 08:42:30 PM »

The PS3 exclusivity story appeared for a bit and then the source vanished. So who knows at this point.

The series though (at least in the US) has been Playstation exclusive, so who knows.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2007, 08:50:02 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 08, 2007, 07:33:58 PM

Quote from: Ridah on September 08, 2007, 04:43:55 PM

Hey man, really, piss off. I think I have just about read enough of your whining post padding crap. If you have a problem with my complimentary post to guys I am friendly with here, too fucking bad. PM Ron, flag the post, and stop crying.

LoL. I was joking around with ya bro, no need to be so sensitive.

Sean Lama
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: