http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:55:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Fox Command DS  (Read 2324 times)
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2006, 01:52:53 PM »

So I just beat my first run through the game (before it lets you go different ruins to change the story).  It is honestly a very short game, I think it was only a total of 5 or 6 levels, which took maybe 15 minutes (if even that much) each.  Now they also tried adding strategy to the game by having you draw your course on the map to lead you to the battles, and you have a set amount of turns/you can't allow ships to hit Great Fox.  Now I never got close to this being difficult either, but it's kind of a good idea if they would add more challenge to it.

Over all this game was really easy, there was only one fight that I found difficult which was fighting Star Wolf for the first time since it was so early in the game (mostly due to time restriction) Now this could all change playing it on a more difficult route so ill have to try and see.

Now wifi battle could be fun, they allow you to play on teams or free for all.  Honestly if we had enough people on here playing it would be really cool to set up teams.  I tried playing a free for all with just another person and they just dropped out once i shot them down three times which is annoying.  I'll have to play again when there are more than just one opponent.

Thought I would post about it since nothing has been posted yet.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 02:17:48 PM »

Hmmmm...I died tons of times, so I must suck.  I still beat it quickly, but I don't think it is supposed to be a long game.  Instead, I think you are supposed to play it multiple time because there are 9 endings, I believe.  I am on my second time through right now, but took a break to finish up Phoenix Wright, which I had paused to play Star Fox the first time through.  Will definitely be coming back to it as I enjoyed it very much and it has gotten harder the little bit I have played of my second time through.  The story is definitely much different this time.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 02:24:19 PM »

I don't think it's really fail to knock the single player game for being too short.  I don't know how many different paths there are through the game but I think there are at least 4 or 5, and that should add up to a lot of time if you play them all.  Also I imagine the other paths get more difficult as well.  Perhaps you would just prefer each path to have more missions in it and just have fewer paths?  That I can understand.

I tried WiFi too and was a bit disappointed.  I played some random battles and about halfway thru it said someone dropped out and the whole match ended.  Why can't the remaining players just continue?  As long as there are 2 left it should be fine.  Because of this I never even finished a game, people dropped out each time.

I just wonder what the deal is with people dropping out.  The stats seem to keep track of that but I wonder if there's some loop-whole to not get dinged for disconnecting.  It would be really lame if every time someone was about to lose they could just disconnect with no penalty.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 02:25:00 PM »

It is a fun (if short for each 'run) game. Of course, games like the N64 version (what this game mostly feels like in spirit - a mix of the unreleased Starfox 2 and the N64 version anyway) can be beaten in like 30 minutes, so I'm not complaining.

My only big gripe is the whole 'it's on the DS, so you ABSOULTELY MUST use the touchpad or DIE!' crapola. The game would be MUCH more fun if it didn't require you to use the touchpad for controlling the Arwing. Use the D-pad to pilot, A to shoot, B to Nova Bomb right in front of you (or use the touchpad to aim it using the radar feature), Y/X to boost/brake, and L/R to bank and barrel roll (and holding L makes you turn sharper to the left, R for right). A combination of hitting both L, R, and D-pad up or down could trigger the 180 and 360 rolls.

Yes, just like the SNES controls (mostly). You'd lose out on analog control (big whoop, as the game already cheats a bit as near misses usually count as hits), but you'd gain a far more stable control scheme. I've beaten it twice and I still fight with the game's controls (especially when it comes to boosting and braking - I either trigger it randomly or it never triggers when I want it to do so).

Beyond that, it's a fun semi-tactical shooter. Some of your pilots are far better than others at doing certain things (I rarely take somebody without a lock-on to shoot down missiles, for example), and thanks to the fog of war, you always need to watch your back.

And yes, the 9 endings are all drastically different in plot and how you get to said ending. And the game gets more and more difficult (Corneria itself will change over time too) each time you finish it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 03:52:30 PM »

I, myself, was not complaining about its shortness.  I just was letting people know who have no already played it.  I understand there are different routes to go, and some planets I have not been to yet.  I felt some of the battles on the missions were to simple (only one guy to shoot down)  I would of liked more battles like the one with Star Wolf, I always enjoyed them on the N64 version. 

One thing I'm confused about is going through those boosters to kill the mothership..Why didn't they make that more difficult, or different for each mothership.  Since when does running your ship into a large ship make sense..?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 04:35:25 PM »

I'm on my 3rd time thru and loving it.  I'm suprised how deep the story is - it's playing out more like a soap opera than anything else so far, and each play thru reveals more and more of the plot.

Being able to use your own voice for the 'gibberish' recordings is a nice touch as well...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 05:18:34 PM »

Quote from: weleavefossils on September 04, 2006, 03:52:30 PM

I felt some of the battles on the missions were to simple (only one guy to shoot down)  I would of liked more battles like the one with Star Wolf, I always enjoyed them on the N64 version. 

One thing I'm confused about is going through those boosters to kill the mothership..Why didn't they make that more difficult, or different for each mothership.  Since when does running your ship into a large ship make sense..?

It makes as much as sense as your ship is able to reflect beams of light (among other things) by simply spinning over and over again.  icon_smile

And so far, yeah, I haven't seen many encounters with Star Wolf. Too bad, really. Oh, and the one on one ship fights you were talking about? That was a bitch. I don't know if it was my constant fighting with the controls or what, but I actualy ended up losing once due to running out of time. Pain in the ass, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 06:46:45 PM »

Got the game today, figured my first review on the Ds should be a Nintendo title.

I've enjoyed what time I've put into, Wi-Fi was good, check my sig and add me and pm me your Friend Code peoples.

I'll know more in a day or two and will hopefully have a review by weeks end.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 10:08:08 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 04, 2006, 06:46:45 PM

Cool. Just make sure to play through the game more than once - it truly does change things as you go through multiple times. That, and the forced ending the first time through is...quite negative.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 11:10:23 PM »

Anyone know if there's bots in the multiplayer mode? (Like Metroid Prime Hunters

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 02:08:17 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 04, 2006, 11:10:23 PM

Anyone know if there's bots in the multiplayer mode? (Like Metroid Prime Hunters

No bots that I know of. Just you and up to 3 (5 if playing locally) Fox McClouds, all in the same exact Arwing shooting at each other.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 04:53:06 AM »

I have to say - the difficulty level is ramping up nicely now that I've played thru it a couple of times, and the enemies and bosses have gotten way more interesting as well.  I highly recommend playing thru it a couple of times, as it's a completely different game each time thru (one that gets progressively better).

And holy crap, Panther's ship is pure awesomeness.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 05:07:29 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on September 05, 2006, 04:53:06 AM

I have to say - the difficulty level is ramping up nicely now that I've played thru it a couple of times, and the enemies and bosses have gotten way more interesting as well.  I highly recommend playing thru it a couple of times, as it's a completely different game each time thru (one that gets progressively better).

And holy crap, Panther's ship is pure awesomeness.

Agreed on both counts. I've beaten it 3 times now, and played 3 entirely different games as far as the enemies I faced, the bosses I shot down, and the endings I experienced.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 12:45:37 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 04, 2006, 10:08:08 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on September 04, 2006, 06:46:45 PM

Cool. Just make sure to play through the game more than once - it truly does change things as you go through multiple times. That, and the forced ending the first time through is...quite negative.

I won't lie, I looked at Nintendo Power's Playthrough Chart in the latest issue this morning. There is a lot of meat to this game, 9 freaking endings in incredible, and a few of them take a lot of missions to get to.

I'm still trying to get wrapped around making good orders for my ships and not missing enemies. The fog of war is kind of annoying too, but otherwise it's enjoyable.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 02:30:12 PM »

Thanks for all of the impressions (I was wondering where they were!)

I'll be grabbing this soon with the nice new Target GC I got for my birthday.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 02:33:06 AM »

I'm still waiting for you punks to post your friend codes so we can coordinate some friend battles.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 04:40:11 AM »

I'm actually down for a shorter game with a wide range of branching missions and story paths. And I love dog fighting. I'll pick it up down the road. (And it's cheaper than most new games, too.)

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 02:01:23 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 07, 2006, 02:33:06 AM

I'm still waiting for you punks to post your friend codes so we can coordinate some friend battles.

I still need to take the time to get my DS talking with my router to go online in the first place.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 02:17:03 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 07, 2006, 02:01:23 PM

I still need to take the time to get my DS talking with my router to go online in the first place.

Hell, I can't even take my DS online since they don't support WPA. 
Queequeg
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 02:58:37 PM »

Hell, I can't even take my DS online since they don't support WPA.

I had the same problem so I went ahead and got the Nintendo Wi-fi USB adapter. It will work fine no matter what encryption you use. When I am travelling I use it with my laptop and instant Wi-fi games!

I am having a blast with Starfox as well. There is a lot more replayability here than what you see at first glance.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 12:15:53 AM »

My review just went up

http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=648

let me know what you all think. My first review for GamingTrend. I really enjoyed playing Star Fox, very good DS game.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 01:08:51 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 13, 2006, 12:15:53 AM

My review just went up

let me know what you all think. My first review for GamingTrend. I really enjoyed playing Star Fox, very good DS game.

HACK!! He he, just joking. It's good to know you liked the controls, because that's the only issue/element that had me worried. I gotta pick this game up.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 05:34:46 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 13, 2006, 12:15:53 AM

My review just went up

Good review. Glad to hear you liked the controls (as I'm still against them). A few nitpicks though:

1) Technically, this is the 5th Starfox title. As far as titles actually released go, anyway. Star Fox (SNES), Starfox 64 (N64), Star Fox Adventures (Cube), Star Fox: Assault (Cube), and Star Fox Command (DS). Star Fox 2 (SNES) was never released in any form, but there is a 99% complete beta that is floating around if you know where to look.

But, in retrospec, since you use the term created instead of released, technically you're correct.  icon_smile

2) You mention Star Fox as if he's a real person, but the person you should be using is called Fox McCloud (under the Gameplay header).

Random factoid: The only other Star Fox title that spoke gibberish was the SNES one. Every title since then (short of the DS one) used actual speech. I'm guessing that space limitations kept them from using voices in this title.

Oh, and I think that the SNES title, even with the gibberish, is the best of the series, with the N64 one a close second.  icon_biggrin

But your review put it very nicely at the end: Gaming done right on the DS. Now that I can't argue with.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 02:55:31 PM »

Late to the party (I know, I know, but that's the way I roll) ... picked up the game yesterday, gave it a little time. Getting a better handle on the controls, and I think they're quite effective. Actually, I really like how the bombs work, that you can either drop it in front of you, or pin point where in the map you want it to hit.

But, I'm starting to get my ass handed to me. Already. Following those missles is fucking tough, and I can't seem to stop 'em. I'm sure I'll bring my skills up to snuff, but I'm surprised that I'm sucking so quickly.

And I do really like the starting overlay strategy aspects ... I just wish I knew what the hell I was doing at first. It was by fluke that I realized you could move all of the fighters in one turn, and not just either or.

Anyway, fun game so far - not mind blowing though. I'm almost looking forward to finishing this story already so that I can try another path.

Edit: Okay, so I'm not bad at the game, just stupid. I didn't realize you were supposed to shoot at the missles while you followed them, so now they're not a problem. And the game itself has become much more intuative as far as gameplay and control goes. The control is pretty amazing, when you think about it. That touch screen is a great idea.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 02:42:56 PM by Dafones » Logged

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 06:12:58 AM »

I picked this up yesterday.  Been toying with it a little, it's fun so far.
unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 03:50:22 AM »

Wow, this game is actually pretty challenging.

My major concern when getting it would be it being way too easy.  Glad to see it's not.  In fact, I think I'll be starting over soon, I lost almost all my ships, and the difficulty is still ramping up.

BTW, anyone still playing this?  Maybe we can hook up for some online play.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 03:53:57 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »

I don't play this anymore, but yeah, the game itself is rather challenging. I was pleasantly surprised back then, as the series is known to be a bit easy.

And don't worry about starting over. You'll be doing that alot to see all the game has to offer (designed that way).

unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 04:19:09 PM »

It was actually pretty good starting over, I breezed right through the first two zones since I'm now familiar with how the game plays.

I checked some FAQs out yesterday, and it's incredible how much the game will change during replays (getting harder, etc).
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 03:42:58 AM »

So... I'm realizing Star Fox isn't even close to the most powerful person to use in a fight.

Who would be considered the best?  I used Falco a bit before I restared, his multiple lockon seemed pretty sweet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: