http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:38:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Craft: Ghost  (Read 2109 times)
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2005, 12:04:44 AM »

Anyone else worried?  I was lookin forward to this game it seemed like it was gonna be fun.  but all the stuff i thought would be pretty cool - well other people sorta beat em too it.  take how it said the stealth kill system was gonna work - you hit a button to initiate it then hafta enter in keys to perform progressively longer combos with the "perfect" result bein you killed the guy.  i remember bein wowed by that as super cool and it still is but mechassault took some of the "newness" outta it.  same with the psi stuff - will it really be better than psi ops in that regard?  itd be pretty hard pressed

and now theyre delayin the game not to polish but to "rethink" some things - anyone else get that feelin?  combine that with a developer that just wants to finish this thing and start workin on other projects - i dunno im worried...

i hope it turns out great because for a time i was really excited - heres hopin it turns out that way - anyone else?  were people excited bout this, still are or dont care?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 12:16:49 AM »

Frankly, it sounds REALLY bad right now. Seems like it is in developer purgatory. I have only minimal hopes at this point.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 12:45:54 AM »

If I were Blizzard I would consider the window of opportunity being closed and just cancel the title.  It is already over a year late (was supposed to be out holiday 2003) and as already said in this thread, many of its new things are now old things.  Time to put it out to pasture and start (or keep) working on StarCraft 2 slywink

Xbox Live: AgtFox
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 01:52:15 AM »

Blizz has cancelled a game late in development before.  A Warcraft adventure game, but I don't think Ghost will share the same fate.  I'm really looking forward to this one.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 02:13:28 AM »

Yeah, Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans.  That game looked pretty cool, but I think they canceled it because adventure games weren't selling so well and the fact that Monkey Island: Escape from Monkey Island was on a collision course with it.

Oh well, a bit of Adventures story went into Warcraft III, so all was not lost.

Blizzard should look long and hard at the games in Ghost's genre and figure out if it's worth it to finish the game or not.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 03:25:03 AM »

I agree with AgtFox. I was never a fan of StarCraft to begin with, but the universe was cool and the cinematics were typically great Blizzard material. If this game came out last year, it would have been innovative. Now, it seems like a StarCraft-themed rehash of other games. Bah. I picked up Mercenaries today and am still burning through GTA: SA so no worries for me and my backlog. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 04:27:35 AM »

I think "rethink" is another term for "think about making it an Nextbox" game.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 04:29:57 AM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
I think "rethink" is another term for "think about making it an Nextbox" game.

If you believe interviews, that definitely not going to happen.  Here's from a interview this week:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6397
michaelb165
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 06:14:08 PM »

I think Blizzard knows they don't have a game on the same level as Splinter Cell or Metal Gear and they should just cancel it.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 06:34:07 PM »

I've not been keeping up on this as it has about zero interest for me but I thought Blizzard wasn't even developing it?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 06:46:04 PM »

Me too warning.  For some reason, I thought Blizzard contracted the game development out to another studio.

Am I wrong here?  I very well could be, as I have not followed the development of SC:Ghost at all really.

LD   :?:

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 06:57:42 PM »

Blizzard never was developing it internally.  It was shown at E3 last year and the response was luke-warm so they ended up taking it from the developer that had it and not much has been said since.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 07:00:32 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
Blizz has cancelled a game late in development before.  A Warcraft adventure game, but I don't think Ghost will share the same fate.  I'm really looking forward to this one.

They also dropped Pax Imperia a long time ago, though it was picked up by another publisher.  Unsurprisingly, it wasn't particularly well receieved.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 07:04:06 PM »

Cancel Ghost and put all the development time in to Starcraft 2.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 07:41:33 PM »

I saw some gameplay footage on Cinematech (I think) and was completely underwhelmed by it.  It had all the look of a very bland third person shooter.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 07:46:15 PM »

I must be the only one looking forward to Ghost.  I can't wait to get my hands on it!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2005, 11:55:58 PM »

I love StarCraft and the whole universe they've created for it.  But I am worried about Ghost.  The only ray of hope is that the last I read they had given to the guys who did Metal Arms.  Hopefully they can scrounge a decent game out of it.  But with Blizzard anything short of the typically amazingly polished, if not all original, game would be under par.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2005, 12:31:13 AM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
I love StarCraft and the whole universe they've created for it.  But I am worried about Ghost.  The only ray of hope is that the last I read they had given to the guys who did Metal Arms.

I was ecstatic when I heard that Swingin Ape had picked up development of the game. Metal Arms was excellent.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2005, 02:38:25 AM »

The thing about Blizzard is polish.  They don't necessarily give you the most cutting edge features in a game, but they give you the best implementation of them on the market.  Pick up any of the million Warcraft II wannabes that are available for about 99 cents at your local game store and you'll see what I mean.  

I agree that some of their thunder has been stolen by delays, but if they're still going to go through with this, I can't help but think they'll do it in such a way as to release a superb game and garner accolades.  If anything, the slump from the delays and such probably helps them in this regard, as expectations are accordingly lowered.

Either way, I'm on board.  Somebody call for an exterminator?

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 10:07:51 AM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
I must be the only one looking forward to Ghost.  I can't wait to get my hands on it!

See the thing is, I think we all want to look forward to the game, it just doesn't seem to be shaping up to be the game that we had hoped it would be.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 12:15:16 AM »

If a company can save it from obscurity or lack-of-polish, it's Swinging Ape. When this was showcased at E3 2003 it was definately a must-have for me. I dunno what's happened, but I'm hoping what we saw can be salvaged and brought to life.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2005, 01:19:38 AM »

Quote from: "crumsteel"
Cancel Ghost and put all the development time in to Starcraft 2.

YES YES YES!!!

But then, SC2 is almost done, but is being kept hush hush until it is nearly ready to release. It'll be out Sept 30.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: