http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 05:22:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stalker shadow of chernobyl  (Read 1997 times)
drifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2006, 09:19:28 PM »

Was there anything on this game at E-3?
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 01:49:50 AM »

This is the best I could find.
Right now they are shooting for a Q1 '07 release.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 02:00:28 PM »

Oh God.

THanks for the link.  I now *KNOW* to avoid this game like the plague.  Hey. I was willing to give ti the benefit of the doubt.

Rpg elements removed.
Dialog trees truncated because 'words hurt brain.'
VEHICLES REMOVED?!?!
 :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
Yeah, this game died, and not prettily.

"'The guy that killed me there was a mutant who takes control of your mind, sucks you towards him and rips your face off and throws you back again.'"
Um, yay.  That's extreme to the max, yo.  You fucking tool.
Thanks GSC.  Thanks for being so inept, your publisher assigned an asswipe to oversee your project.

Jesus, It is now 9 in the morning and I need a drink, baaaad.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 02:45:26 AM »

Hasn't this game been in development forever?

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but I am pretty sure I remember reading about this seemingly everyday on BluesNews.  And I haven't looked at BluesNews for like 2 years.

The cuts made to this game after all this time...  What have the devs been up to?  It takes years to carve out all those features? :lol:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 02:55:18 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Oh God.

THanks for the link.  I now *KNOW* to avoid this game like the plague.  Hey. I was willing to give ti the benefit of the doubt.

Rpg elements removed.
VEHICLES REMOVED?!?!
 :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
Yeah, this game died, and not prettily.

"'The guy that killed me there was a mutant who takes control of your mind, sucks you towards him and rips your face off and throws you back again.'"
Um, yay.  That's extreme to the max, yo.  You fucking tool.
Thanks GSC.  Thanks for being so inept, your publisher assigned an asswipe to oversee your project.

Jesus, It is now 9 in the morning and I need a drink, baaaad.

HAHA awesome post right there - post of the weekend!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 07:20:34 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
The cuts made to this game after all this time...  What have the devs been up to?  It takes years to carve out all those features? :lol:

i first heard of it in 2003.  apparently they had a helluva time trying to get the AI working so everybody (NPCs, animals, mutants, etc) was off doing their thing and also would interact with each other in a believable way - imagine that...  

so that was the main reason it was delayed.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 12:42:46 PM »

yes, this game has been in development hell for a LONG time.  At the end of 2001, after Codename:Outbreak was published, a couple of the guys left GSC and founded Deep Shadows, and proceeded to work on Boiling Point (Originally titled Xenus).  The team left at GSC started the project then under the title :S.t.a.l.k.e.r: Oblivion Lost.  IIRC, they were nearing a final build several months ago, but the publisher issues held it up.

Funny, the two teams that came out of GSC both had these wide-open FPS games they were developing.  One's been released, and is a buggy mess (although, it does deliver the wide open world - it just received pratically ZERO support).  The other (which was much better financed) is being stripped of the features that would have set it apart from the field, and certainly gives the appearance of being another vanilla shooter.  By the time this comes out, It will being competing against Crysis. :shock:   Uh-oh.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 01:12:03 PM »

The strange part is from the pictures and videos from 3 years ago or more it looked ready to ship and play.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 01:13:51 PM »

The article does not say they removed vehicles just that a decision has not been made to remove them or not.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 02:43:02 PM »

IIRC, they were nearing a final build several months ago, but the publisher issues held it up.

Were the publisher issues things like "too buggy" or "too crashy"?  I'd bet my bottom dollar.  Unfortunately while I would never claim that a major publically held publisher is benevolent or anything, I think it's clear where the fault lies here.  From the beginning you could tell that this was a game that was overreaching for a team that had never done anything similar before.   Make no mistake, the reason open-ended games are few and far between is because they are HARD to make.  They're hard to design, hard to control the production budget, and very hard to debug.  The cuts don't make me happy as it sounded like it could be an interesting game if pulled off properly.  But there comes a point where you can't just keep cutting checks for failed execution, so I don't blame THQ at all for sending in a hatchet man.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 01:28:46 AM »

This game was the poster child of hyping a game without anything of substance ever being shown.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 01:47:42 PM »

drifter, I'm of the opinion that if you say 'we are considering dropping this feature', that means 'we have already cut this feature'.  If there was a possibility it was still in the game, why would you even comment on it?  Wouldn't most hype machines (which , isn't that what the publishers does while the game is being development) not choose to mention negative news that *might* happen?

And kathode, I think your 'publishers are great' (imagine that coming from an employee of Bethesda :roll: ) diatribe *may* be a bit too early.  Boiling Point had it's share of issues, and yet, it didn't have the kind of cuts you're talking here.  Perhaps that is simply that DS is a better developer, and perhaps that is THQ being too quick on the trigger.  I'm not willing to exonerate either party here.

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »

big jake you completely misrepresented what was said in the aritcle.

VEHICLES REMOVED?!?!
decision has not been made to drop vehicles

some dialog was removed because there was too much back and forth dialog that did not contribute
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 04:36:17 PM »

What was most surprising however was Sharpe revealing that 'I may or may not take out the vehicles - I haven't decided yet'. Vehicles were a big part of the game's original feature-set. If they were to be removed it would pose more than a few design problems, considering the size of the 30-square kilometre area covered in the game.

Agree with Big Jake on this one. Sharpe was the one that brought this up not the reporter. Why even bring it up? If something stays you don't say anything about it unless its a bullet point of things that are still in after you mention you are cutting some of the features. One could certainly construe that it is gone. But we won't really know until later in the year when they get closer to completion and start hyping it up again.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 01:55:26 AM »

And kathode, I think your 'publishers are great' (imagine that coming from an employee of Bethesda :roll: ) diatribe *may* be a bit too early.  Boiling Point had it's share of issues, and yet, it didn't have the kind of cuts you're talking here.  Perhaps that is simply that DS is a better developer, and perhaps that is THQ being too quick on the trigger.  I'm not willing to exonerate either party here.

You seem to have mixed up my post with someone else's.  I see no "diatribe" and I didn't use the word great at all.  In fact if anything I said they were "not benevolent."  What I did say was that this game's been in development for a long time and to expect them to just keep paying out without results is unrealistic.  People were calling STALKER a Morrowind killer back in the day.  This is clear shit or get off the pot territory.  The game was great in my mind's eye too.  Unfortunately the relationship between what I imagine the game to be and the actual state of the game is not very strong.  In fact, I have to assume it is a hell of a mess, because otherwise, being the non-benevolent publishers they are, I would expect them to simply shove it out of the door half-baked.  That they haven't gone with that route is very telling to me.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 08:01:49 AM »

Nice to see a thread about Stalker. I thought I was the last person left still tracking this. I guess I'm just a glass half full kinda guy. This is still my most anticipated game. Still looks great to me. Setting still the most origional to me. I just can't wait to crawl around inside that ruined reactor. Of course 2-3 delays ago it stopped being a day one purchase. I have to make sure it dosen't ship completely borked. But if it dosen't, I'm all over it.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 05:23:23 PM »

I played it at E3 2 years ago and am not surprised it isn't out yet.  

I don't have high hopes, but am still keeping my eye on it.

Chris

Wake up.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 06:10:14 PM »

The load times and scripted events sound exactly like what Oblivion does.
For that reason, I still have hope.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: