http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 08:58:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STALKER Clear Skies DX10 tech demo video  (Read 8111 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2008, 05:18:32 PM »

i have to agree, the sale prices are just stupid, and when you consider that buy prices are always marked up, it makes it hard to keep afloat by scavenging.  at least most of the usual consumables are easily found in stashes and on bodies or you would end up a penniless stalker with beat up armor and an empty pistol. 

they really need to make that next patch work with existing save games.  it was ok when the 1.5.4 patch did it as at least it wasn't long after the game hit the shelves, but i would probably stick with the current game rather than a third restart.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2008, 08:28:04 PM »

Are you using the faction traders?  If I remember from the original Stalker you got more money from faction traders, and cheaper prices too.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2008, 09:26:12 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 22, 2008, 08:28:04 PM

Are you using the faction traders?  If I remember from the original Stalker you got more money from faction traders, and cheaper prices too.

the STALKER faction trader gives me about 1/6 the listed cost of an item back when I sell stuff to him, and when I buy stuff it's at the actual listed price.  The part that stinks is having to run back to the Cordon to get the most money for loot.  Freedom won't let me join yet (looks like it's part of the plot) and the Bandits aren't exactly on speaking terms with me  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2008, 02:37:45 PM »

OK, encountered a bug last night that could have set me back if I didn't save before going into area with a possible big event.  Once your done with the Dark Valley you'll get a mission to find someones PDA as part of the main quest, and it sends you back to the Flea Market in the Garbage.  make sure to save before you go to the point on the map (you'll have to go through a door) as a cutscene is triggered and the script for it doesn't always run right, so you're left with the camera floating around with nothing happening and you have to ctrl-alt-del to the task manager to shut down the game.  It doesn't always happen (it did to me though  disgust), but better safe than sorry.

another tip about the part, more of an anti-annoyance one, but I'll spoil it just in case:

Spoiler for Hiden:
you get mugged and lose everything.  you'll get your items back (check your map afterwards) but your cash is gone, so you might as well go on an upgrade spree,
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:41:10 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »

man, Yantar is a pain, and the Red Forest is too.  I forgot about that breed of mutant wolf the Red Forest has.  The cool part is that it is a different part of the Red Forest, one that actually feels like a forest.

at the beginning of the Red Forest there was a set piece that ticked me off at first, until I realized that:

Spoiler for Hiden:
if I managed to kill Strelok it'd rip a hole in the space time continuum

and then I laughed.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2008, 07:27:51 AM »

OK, the endgame is killing this game for me.  remember the other ending of Shadows, where you don't use the Wishgiver and have that extended gunfight to finish the game?  well, about the last 3rd of the game that opens up after you hit Limansk (which, also, is the point of no return so make sure you stock up on stuff because you can't go back after you travel there) has been nothing but an extended firefight, with no options for stealth or anything else other than shoot everything.  I used a console command to change the difficulty level down a notch so I don't have to deal with the Olympic class grenade throwers who can hit you dead on even when your out of sight behind a wall where the only way a grenade could get you is to stop directly overhead and fall down, but it's still pretty insane.

seriously, I loved the first game but they rushed this one out the door too quickly.  so far I have encountered 3 showstopping bugs that required me to reload several times to get a door to open or avaoid a crash, had to download a fan made script that fixed one crash that they have yet to officially patch, and has to modify the shortcut to avoid another crash.

Because I can,
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »

I like it, sort of, but I'm also immensely frustrated by some things:

Weird decisions:
1) to have 2 duck buttons, one which actually requires you to push the other one. Oh, and the first duck sucks, it doesn't go low enough to hide behind the most common cover.
2) I get hit when I'm hiding behind a tree. Can they see me? Can they shoot through trees? This game is set in a forested map, trees will be your main cover, why don't they work 100% ?
3) rediculous accuracy. My gun accuracy sucks, but the enemy can shoot me from pretty far, in the dark, when I'm in a bush (or behind a tree, see nr 2).
4) bleeding to death. I'm in a firefight, off course I'm gonna get hit. Do I really need to apply a bandage every 2 seconds?
5) Invisible radioactive death. I like the idea, but your geiger should go off a bit quicker, and more accurately. See Terminator: Future Shock, which did this better 15 years ago.
6) Enemy health. My comrades are keeping the military busy, I run around them and blast them in the back with my shotgun. They turn around and kill me, because I'm stuck reloading my 2 measly bullets.
7) Sprint. You press it once, but the moment you stop running, or strafe a bit, you stop sprinting? Or something? I don't get it.
8 ) A lot of keyboard presses: A typical encounter seems to have me pressing: duck, duck lower, peer left, shoot twice, apply bandage, reload after 2 shots.
EDIT (I forgot one!) 9) There's no incentive to go around looking around for nice stuff, because unless you first bought information from other stalkers, every container you find is gonna be empty!

This sounds pretty negative I guess, but I never played the first one, and this game just seems filled with odd decisions, that first-person shooters have solved years ago. It just doesn't 'flow' well. Every encounter is based on a lot of luck, bandages, and a hell of a lot of keyboard presses. It just feels like work I guess. It should be more fun.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:47:34 PM by The Rocketman » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2008, 11:35:41 AM »

I remember the first one had some great stuff in it, mainly due to the AI doing a lot of things on its own, making fun stuff happening, patrols, fights between ai's and so on...

does this game have the same stuff, making it a living world?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2008, 02:26:04 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 29, 2008, 11:35:41 AM

I remember the first one had some great stuff in it, mainly due to the AI doing a lot of things on its own, making fun stuff happening, patrols, fights between ai's and so on...

does this game have the same stuff, making it a living world?

The AI is alot more pro-active in this one due to the faction War.  I'd get assignments with allies only to have the friendly AI beat me there and complete it for me.  this doesn't apply to the main quest stuff though.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2008, 03:45:34 AM »

well, finished up tonight after a couple of aggravating hours.  the very last level is poorly designed, and it is very easy to get stuck and waste your time wading through alot of stuff you don't have to as it seems like they just cut the level from Shadows and left everything functional even though it shouldn't have been.  I'll spoiler what you need to do if anyone is getting fed up:

Spoiler for Hiden:
do not go through the first teleport, just use the pulse rifle (or whatever it's called) to snipe Strelok as he moves across the walkway.  if you go through any teleport you pretty much break the game and could end up spending hours of frustrating combat trying to accomplish something that can't be done.

it's like they ran out of ideas for the endgame and rushed to throw something together to cap the game.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2008, 06:02:46 AM »

on another note, I think I'm going to give the game a spin with this mod.  it looks like it fixes some of the issues I had, especially the grenade happy enemies.

Because I can,
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2008, 08:26:03 AM »

I'm anxious to play the original Stalker along with this on the new computer I'm putting together.  My old rig would have struggled even with some severely reduced graphics options. 
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2008, 05:26:39 PM »

Pretty cool in depth review with a lot of suggested video settings based on different video cards and Rez's at Tom's hardware.http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphic-card-benchmark,2029.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: