http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:25:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STALKER Clear Skies DX10 tech demo video  (Read 8173 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 07:38:15 AM »

random thoughts:

I turned off AA/AF, and the game is running smoother.  I figure with my next rig I'll be able to play with them both turned to the max since my current one handled it fairly.  Not great, I noticed things were moving slower before I turned it off, but close to acceptable.

damn, the AI is pro-active in this game.  The allied AI pretty much secured the whole beginning area without me doing much as I was exploring (the swamp is freaking HUGE) so I pretty much got a free ride on the beginning portion.  I haven't left the swamp yet, there's still a bunch of things I want to look at.  Luckily, with the area being so big, there are guides who can give you quick travel to certain locations.

they finally got the night lighting right.  It's suitably dark, and wandering through the twisting trails of the swamp can be kinda harrowing, especiallu when you round a bend to find out the reeds were hiding a pseudo dog  eek

the upgrade system is cool- each weapon and armor so far has a variety of ways it can be upgraded for a price.  some upgrades require one or two other upgrades to be done before it becomes available, a others can change the ammo type that the gun uses.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 01:25:08 AM »

so, they released the second patch today, and apparently there are enough changes that it will render any old save games incompatible.  good thing I'm having fun with the starting area otherwise I'd be miffed.

so, no one else gotten this yet?  it's kinda lonely being the only one here, no one else to share the fun with......

and I'm kinda feeling like Blackjack with multiple posts in a row....  icon_wink

hold me....  crybaby

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 02:50:22 PM »

well, fired it back up after apllying the patch last night and it seemed to run smoother.  I went exploring some while my allies fought for the swamp and found some artifacts, so I'm sure that Eurogamer reviewer didn't bother to actually explore and try to find them.  Sure, you have to actively search, but the 2 I found after the one from training were in fairly obvious areas with alot of anomolies around them.

One thing it seems they did with the newest patch is to cut down on the amount of ammo you find (in my game before the pacth I was finding a ton of it and ended up selling off a bunch that was weighting me down), and it looks like they removed some of the guns you find as I went to a place where I found a Viper in an empty shack and it wasn't there after the patch.  Some of the stashes were gone too.

One minor spoiler, and I'm putting this out here to save anyone else who plays an hour of reloading and cursing at the game: when you finally get to leave the swamp there are two possible paths to get into the Cordon.  The south one is the one the game guides you too, but it comes out near a military machine gunner who is very accurate and it seems like there is no way to get past him.  I tried and there's just not enough solid cover to protect you, plus I haven't found any long range weapons yet.  after much cursing and reloading I looked at the map and saw the other path out of the swamp.  I haven't tried it yet but hopefully it's easier, otherwise it might be a short game.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2008, 03:48:02 PM »

STALKER sits on my shelf.  I had it installed with Vista, but after disinfecting that off my system I never reinstalled it.  Should probably do that...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 06:24:03 PM »

damn that looks nice.  first game i really regret not picking up a dx10 card, but i don't have the coin for a big video card purchase right now and the 1900xt i have is still going strong. 

at least i can play this as nicely as the first one did.  i need to get this on the way home.  you won't be the only one to talk about ceekay, just wait a bit. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2008, 12:45:20 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 12, 2008, 03:48:02 PM

STALKER sits on my shelf.  I had it installed with Vista, but after disinfecting that off my system I never reinstalled it.  Should probably do that...

it's worth it, and they have things nicely patched by now too!

Because I can,
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2008, 02:22:18 PM »

I'm confused. CeeKay, does your Gamestop local inventory website list it as available? Mine does not. Still says the 15th. My local store opens in 45 minutes, and I'm sorely tempted to drive over to check it out.

I suppose I could just use the phone, but who knows how accurate whoever answers the phone will be. With my luck, it'll be on the shelves, and the dude will just do a computer lookup and tell me "not until next week..."

Anybody else have sightings?

Edit: Just got back. My store had 5 copies.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:04:36 PM by Giles Habibula » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2008, 04:44:57 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on September 13, 2008, 02:22:18 PM

I'm confused. CeeKay, does your Gamestop local inventory website list it as available? Mine does not. Still says the 15th. My local store opens in 45 minutes, and I'm sorely tempted to drive over to check it out.

yeah, they haven't updated their website for some reason.  just make sure to patch up completely before playing.

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2008, 05:30:52 PM »

Ceekay, what's the specs of the rig running that?

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2008, 07:05:25 PM »

My game looks a lot like CeeKay's screenies (except he's using better shadows than me). I have no idea what rig he's running (I bet it's faster than mine), but I'll give you my experience thus far on my very modest rig:

Installed it and patched to 1.5.04 without a hitch.
I'm afraid I'm not very far in the game yet. Still exploring and engaging in lots of conversation. While doing this, I've been tweaking my in-game settings.

Rig specs:
AMD64 3700+
2 gig ram
7900GS/256
WinXP w/SP2

Game specs (that I can recall):
1440 x 900 (native)
AA off
AF on
Object Shadows only.
Farthest draw distance possible. I'll sacrifice anything else before I give up my draw distance in a game like this.

For some reason, the game defaulted to the highest shadow setting possible, which just killed my framerate. FRAPS indicated I was getting 3 fps. I thought I was screwed. I dropped shadows down a notch to high, and jumped to 11fps. Dropped another notch to object-only, and jumped to where I am now. About 20 to 25 fps in the camp area. I can live with that. I tried dropping my rez to 1024 x 768, and strangely enough, I gained exactly ZERO, so I popped it back to 1440 x 900. Even with object only shadows, the game looks fantastic and plays well. And so far it's been very stable after about an hour of wandering around.

My G15 memory monitor showed that I was using 97% of my 2 gig of ram! That's the highest I've ever seen that meter go on this rig. And to think that I had hesitated before buying that second gig of ram, thinking I'd probably never use it all.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 09:06:10 PM by Giles Habibula » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2008, 09:06:01 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 13, 2008, 05:30:52 PM

Ceekay, what's the specs of the rig running that?

Intel Core2Duo [email protected] ghx
2 gig ram
8800 gtx/ 768 DX10 enabled
Vista Home Premium SP1

I'm running at 1440x900 with everything maxxed and AA turned off; it defaulted to almost everything at the max settings anyways so I just nudged them up.  It's fairly smooth, especially after the last patch.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2008, 03:32:25 AM »

picked this up friday, played only a little due going to a lan party.  played a bit last night.  first thing i did was up the default res to about where i had in the first one.  overall quality is definitely up, and more of a system hog this time around as my frame rate was noticeably lower.  i also ran into the trademark of eastern european games:  ctd's.  sure, you find them in every game at one point or another, but here, if i so much as increase the res above the default (which really sucks, btw) i crash out within 5 minutes.  every time. 

when i said 'f it' to changing anything, i was able to get several hours in.  enough to help secure the swamp and get fairly well established with equipment.  ceekay wasn't kidding about the friendly ai.  those guys move quickly and don't wait for you.  i was able to secure 3 of the southern bases while they grabbed everything except the NE base.  only a few known groups of renegades left.  most of the fighting was very pitched, with a few times pitting me against a squad of renegades until clear sky soldiers could join up.  as before, starting pistol is more pray than aim, and only useful when backed up by friendlies.  the hunting rifle is where it's at this early in game.  even with only two rounds per reload, i had much luck with it, single handed-ly taking out 4 enemies at the church without taking a hit.  the key is cover.  if you can duck out from behind trees or small walls, you will be able to survive quite nicely.

once i got my mind into the game, i was able to get around.  the one reviewer who complained about the difficulty must not have hit that state of mind as even though you are definitely vulnerable, you can win if you play it smart.  not to mention the high quantity of stashes that i have got notes on.  i have 2 dozen at least that need checking.  no way will i be running low on supplies or money with this much loot to be found.  hell, every base has at least 1000 ru in discarded weapons alone.  no artifacts, but the swamp has very few anomalous zones, excepting the area just north of the SE base, which is crawling with lightning traps.  i have upgraded my armor and see that the upgrade system is pretty nice so far.

one thing that kind of sucks is even if you succeed in taking out the renegades, if no allies in on the assault are left, you lose the mission and perhaps the base.  i had to retry one such base a few times because of that.  one of the camps was highly contested with several renegade squads trying to push us back out, which was great fun.  there is a great sense of greater conflict here, surpassing some of the more mainline fps shooters i have played. 

nights are much spookier than before, and with the mutant ai, i fear every rustling bush.  it makes staying at camp at night a very enticing idea. 

my system is pretty close to giles, so i should be able to get pretty nice performance.  giles, how is stability when playing at those settings?  as i mentioned, if i upped the res, i would ctd within a few minutes of loading.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2008, 03:43:51 AM »

I'm not saying the game doesn't have crashing issues, but if it happens after a while when you crank up the resolution you may want to check out excess heating and system stability issues. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2008, 03:59:02 AM »

after a clean boot, in less than 5 minutes after load.  in one case, it ctd'd before i exited the starting zone, so considerably less than 5 minutes.  i'll check it again after i patch and update video drivers. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2008, 03:08:24 PM »

I've gotten luck so far and only had 1 CTD, but that may have been due to fraps crashing first. I haven't had one since, but then again I haven't been running traps either.

Because I can,
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2008, 04:11:25 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 15, 2008, 03:32:25 AM

my system is pretty close to giles, so i should be able to get pretty nice performance.  giles, how is stability when playing at those settings?  as i mentioned, if i upped the res, i would ctd within a few minutes of loading.
It was very stable, for the hour or two I left it there.
I exited the game, went back in later, and suddenly I was at 4 to 15 fps, so I dropped the res to 1024 x 768.
Framerates are jumping around wildly at that res, but it's playable. Anywhere from 12 to 35 fps depending on my location.
800 x 600 was much, much smoother, but looked like hell, so I'm back to 1024 x 768.
About 3 or 4 hours total playtime, and not one single crash. But the framerate thing is annoying at times. But it's smooth more than not.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 05:27:32 AM »

Tweakguides has their Clear Sky tweak guide up now.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ClearSky_1.html

Since STALKER: Clear Sky is not dramatically different to the original STALKER in many respects, much of the customization and tweaking advice in Clear Sky is the same as that in Shadow of Chernobyl. However because there are two entirely new rendering modes, a whole range of additional settings and new tweaks, as well as tweaks which no longer work in Clear Sky, I've written this STALKER: Clear Sky Tweak Guide to allow users to fully understand and customize Clear Sky thoroughly to better meet their needs.

Be sure to read the very end about the "god rays" halving the frame rates during the morning time and to turn those down/off.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:32:06 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 05:50:50 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 17, 2008, 05:27:32 AM

Be sure to read the very end about the "god rays" halving the frame rates during the morning time and to turn those down/off.

This is HUGE for performance.  That opening area was incredibly choppy using the enhanced Dynamic Lighting (DX10) setting but I followed their advice and lowered the god rays to low (but not off) and the result is a dramatic improvement in framerate without any noticeable hit in visuals.  After that I'm pretty much able to get a very smooth framerate in the opening camp on a 8800GT at 1680x1050 and still enjoy all the pretties. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »

dang, there's almost nmo difference between 100% and 25% view distance.

One thing I'm wishing they put in the game is the ability to sleep or pass time quickly.  They did a great job setting the mood for nighttime but since the NPC's don't seem to sleep nor have their vision limited you're the only one that suffers any penalty.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »

thanks for posting about the guide.  this will come in handy as last night, i patched the game, updated the drivers and still had a few issues when running above 1280.  same machine ran crysis with great visuals much better, and my settings don't match up to what i had in shadow of chernobyl. 

for reference
amd 4400 dual core 939
2gb dual channel ram
radeon 1900xt w/512 ram
x-fi platinum sound card
36gb 10k raptor for the os
250gb sata 7200 for the game installs.

i've also tweaked the system a number of times and cleared up a lot of the fluff that runs. 

as for the patched game, restarting i have already seen the differences.  before, i had a few dozen stashes to check out after clearing 3/4ths of the map and searching every body.  now, i only have less than 10.  i didn't get a rifle or a smg until much further, and overall ammo levels are lower by half.  it makes scavenging much more necessary, but i haven't yet found myself in a pinch with the pistol or shotty yet.  the ai seems different as friendlies were much more capable before, and bandits attacked more frequently, especially on the platform.  there were no friendlies at all during two of the raids i took part in and sadly, i didn't get credit for clearing the church.  i have the NW and the SE camps to clear before the area is done, so there's still a bit of work left.

got a much better reward for clearing one of the camps though:  a better suit.  it also can be modified more, so it should last me a bit longer than the cotton shirt you start out with.  i also found an artifact, and i really like the change they made there. 

btw, why is it that i get these little missions from squad leaders which inevitably mean weakening myself (2 first aid kits, for example) without any kind of compensation?  it doesn't even affect my buy sell prices, as far as i can tell.  pretty wonky. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2008, 03:38:56 PM »

Finally made it into Garbage last night.  It'll be interesting to see how Clear Sky ends, as alot of stuff is familiar yet there are some pretty big changes to the zone in between the games.  the faction war seems to be pretty low key so far, and the AI did exhibit some weird behavior in the Cordon where they'd tell me to capture 2 different points.  I'd capture them, they'd secure them, and then a few minutes later they'd wander off, leaving the objective to be taken back by mutants and then they'd offer them up again.  I imagine it's a nice way to make money, it's just an odd design decision.

I got a nice gun with a built in scope, but now ammo is becoming a problem as I haven't seen the ammo for sale in the Garbage area yet, and most of the upgrades for it start at 2000. Luckily I hung onto the Viper I got early on, and had that retooled so it uses regular pistol ammo, which is plentiful.   I'm still on the beginning armor too as all I've seen for sale is pretty expensive, and I may still have the starting pistol, albeit one that has been upgraded; I actually use it alot for mutants and have gotten quite good at getting headshots with it.  I've found a few artifacts but have yet to use any of them, and located several more that are in areas where the damage I took getting them outweighed their value, so I just reloaded and left them for later.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »

ceekay, you didn't get a better armor piece for one of the swamp's missions?  i guess i got lucky.  not sure which mission it was for, but i was about half way through the zone.  i have just made it past the part before i patched up and i am in better shape now than i was then.  not only do i have the better armor, i also have an ak74/2 with ~230 rounds, a better shotgun, plus i have already passed on two different handguns as they wouldn't have been significantly better with the upgrades as the pmm i already spent some money on.  in retrospect, i should have swapped out, but both of them used the 9x19 and i have much less of that ammo type. 

i still rely on the pistol/hunting rifle as the renegades do not have great armor protection and ammo is on every body i search.  i also noticed the respawning mission deal with one of those "clear and hold" missions, but i suspect it's due in part to the renegade camp left standing in the NE corner.  as soon as the CS guys went back to camp, a squad of rennies left the camp and came back.  i'll probably due that a few times to upgrade my stuff before i go back to the cordon.  i tried that a few times during daylight and it really looks like a tough nut to crack.  got a very narrow approach with no solid cover against an eagle eyed spotter and a marksman machine gunner.  tried three times and got killed each way, so i hope the night approach is the desired method. 

i am enjoying this a lot and i like the variances in gameplay i am seeing.  i just wish that some of the bigger missions didn't automatically fail as soon as the CS guys died.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2008, 06:15:18 PM »

I think I need to go back to the swamp since I never went back after finally making it past the machine gunner in the cordon. I may have just missed the mission where you get the armor.

Because I can,
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2008, 06:26:13 PM »

So, I walked out into the Cordon area right next to the military base.  I didn't read the map correctly so I got a little too close to the military base.  Mayhem and death ensued...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on September 18, 2008, 06:26:13 PM

So, I walked out into the Cordon area right next to the military base.  I didn't read the map correctly so I got a little too close to the military base.  Mayhem and death ensued...

that was the most frustrating part of the game so far.  I thought there might be another path out of the swamp, but you can't use it right away so you're forced into trying to find a way past the machine gunner, who notices you no matter what.  I kept on trying to find a way to do it, but ultimately it just came down to running like hell, and re-hitting the sprint key whenever I got hit.  After they lose sight of you the first time they do send one guy to investigate, but other than getting his weapon I didn't see him giving me a way to get past.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2008, 07:13:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 18, 2008, 06:15:18 PM

I think I need to go back to the swamp since I never went back after finally making it past the machine gunner in the cordon. I may have just missed the mission where you get the armor.

i wish i could tell you which one.  off the top of my head, i had done these ones:
secured the oil rig platform
secured the boat bivouac (sp?)
secured the farmstead

not sure about these though
retrieval:
pmm, stalker suit, pda, ak74/su

pretty sure you only get $ for the 'deliver items' and 'secure encampent' missions from the squad leaders, but i could be wrong.

the only difference is that i cleared the farmstead on my own as the CS guys never approached it.

am i correct in assuming that the only way past the gunner is through the military's front gate?  didn't see any breaks in the fence.  again, i really hope the night approach helps with that. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2008, 08:12:48 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 18, 2008, 07:13:33 PM

am i correct in assuming that the only way past the gunner is through the military's front gate?  didn't see any breaks in the fence.  again, i really hope the night approach helps with that. 

well, there's no real gate as you don't need to go into the military base.  Nighttime didn't seem to help, as it was night when I first entered the Cordon and after a few reloads I ended up waiting until daytime to see if there were different routes.  The military guys are particularly nasty this time around, so expect to have some of the confrontations with them to take a few tries.  Luckily they put in a grenade warning indicator with one of the patches.

Because I can,
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2008, 11:37:43 PM »

I am horrible at this game.  I die all the time....    Help.......

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2008, 12:15:27 AM »

ok, let me give you a few pointers.  first, use the quicksave.  nothing like getting a great weapon and then taking a bullet to ruin your day.  something significant happen, save it.  second, before you go into combat, check your surroundings. 

cover available?  i know this sounds obvious, but use cover whenever possible and get comfortable with the crouch/low crouch and lean keys.  i have survived 5 to 1 odds by careful use of cover and exposing myself only when necessary.  even with the basic pistol and armor.  also, iron sights help your aim and even though the starting accuracy of the pistol is questionable, it shoots fast and reloads fast, making it a decent stand off weapon if they try to get too close.  besides, you might even cause them to bleed to death. 

alternate approaches for either you or them?  the ai will attempt to flank you if it thinks your cover can be exposed, especially when they outnumber you.  you can use this against them as it means you get the opportunity to pick off single enemies while their friends attempt to hold your attention. 

allies nearby?  use them and support them as long as you can.  sure, they may be easy meat shields for you, but you are best served having them around.  also, if a group is going to attack in mass, then you can do some flanking of your own after the battle has started.  try to stay down until the last moment to get the first shot.  alternately, if you are in a good position yourself, start the battle early so they can flank.  one thing to remember is that they usually have better weapons than you do, like smg and assault rifles.  note that in big fights, you may actually want some friendly casualties  icon_evil, so it can be in your favor to let a few die.  i was able to scavenge 3 ak74s this way. 

don't expose yourself unless absolutely necessary until enemies are dead/allies are defending.  heal up, reload, and then scavenge everything worth picking up.  if you intend to take on another group before heading back to camp, try to find a scout (blue dots on map) and drop unnecessary stuff at his feet.  excess baggage drags you down and makes you unable to run, a very bad move to be without.  when you are done, pick up everything and warp to the base.  you can hold much more than you can walk with.  do not keep backup weapons of your main ones:  you get more than enough time to repair them and it takes a while to break down.  before you warp back, check every corpse a they bodies don't stay around for ever. 

this is important.  once you get familiar with the way stalker's combat is, consider restarting from scratch and making missions a priority.  the big ones don't always last until you can get to them and all the main ones have good payouts.  see my post above about the armor.  big help that is. 

once you get the hunting rifle, it makes a much nicer main weapon than the shotgun and uses the same ammo. 

when you have a decent money supply, visit the upgrade man.  i recommend the recoil dampeners for the rifle and the 9x18mm conversion for the smg.  note that some upgrades are exclusive and will prevent you from taking others, like the armor's ability to add kevlar plates vs extra hauling capacity.  basically, if the upgrade component is the same, you can pick only one.

hope that helps. 

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2008, 12:36:54 AM »

once you get the hunting rifle, it makes a much nicer main weapon than the shotgun and uses the same ammo. 
Wait what kinda crap is that? I didn't know it was a single ammo type game like DE2 was.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2008, 01:06:31 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 19, 2008, 12:36:54 AM

Wait what kinda crap is that? I didn't know it was a single ammo type game like DE2 was.

no, there are multiple types of ammo, probably a dozen types or so if you include FMJ and AP variants.  The hunting rifle and the shotgun both use shells.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2008, 04:30:17 PM »

for reference, it uses:
12x70 shot
12x70 slug
12x70 dart (not entirely sure what this does)

basically, it's a longer barreled shotgun, think winchester two shot rifle. 

got past the damn military guard last night, what a PitA that was.  even with a good weapon and better armor, i took a lot of damage running through that and fighting off a handful of ak wielding, well armored military guys was not fun when my only safe spot was a boulder just big enough to cover me from the machine gunner.  i burned through quite a few bandages and first aid kits getting through there.

i think i see where the reviewer begins to mark the game down a notch.  the enemies you face here are more dangerous than in the swamps, even the bandits.  not sure, but it seemed like they were dishing out a lot more pain than the rennies were with the same weapons.  military guys are a notch above that, which isn't unwarranted, but you face them more here than you did in SoC.  at least you can get a couple of nicer weapons from them.

i've explored up to the new stalker camp and i really like that it's a building i recognize.  i've also seen one other location altered from SoC and that's pretty cool.  should make the later areas more interesting too. 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2008, 05:12:07 PM »

Dart ammo should be like slug, but not as powerful, instead it's a lot more accurate and powerful at longer ranges.  If I remember correctly, weapon damage can fall off over range by a lot depending on the weapon, which helps to distinguish between rifles and SMGs.
Tampa_Gamer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2008, 07:49:09 PM »

For those that have CS, how does it compare to the original (with Oblivion Lost mod)?

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
-General George S. Patton
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2008, 07:49:30 PM »

i'll have to try that.  i started picking off the bandits with slug ammo and it was always very loosely grouped around them.  hard to remember how far off i was, but it was behind a tree on the opposite side of the road.  rifle is unfortunately geared to weight reduction instead of accuracy over being to use shot.  i may just ditch it and refit a newer rifle as my standoff weapon as i still have the improved shotgun from one of the stashes.  i should look and see when i can expect a better rifle to appear before i do that though.  

is it just me or does there seem little improvement over the pmm by the .45?  i was expecting the pistols to be a bit different, but the only obvious change is ammo type.  

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2008, 09:14:09 PM »

Er, on second thought, Dart might actually be fletchette ammo, so lots of smaller darts that might penetrate armor better than normal shotgun buckshot.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2008, 10:50:06 PM »

Thanks, Caine, for the help.  I will try your suggestions and keep on fighting.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2008, 12:27:04 AM »

Quote from: Caine on September 19, 2008, 07:49:30 PM

is it just me or does there seem little improvement over the pmm by the .45?  i was expecting the pistols to be a bit different, but the only obvious change is ammo type.  

yeah, all the handguns seem to have the same stats.  I wish they used numerical values instead of the bar graphs, they'd be easier to read.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2008, 02:22:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 20, 2008, 12:27:04 AM

Quote from: Caine on September 19, 2008, 07:49:30 PM

yeah, all the handguns seem to have the same stats.  I wish they used numerical values instead of the bar graphs, they'd be easier to read.

OK, I see how they do the stats.  if something is better in certain areas than what you have equipped there is a green extension to that bar, and it's red if it's worse.  I don't think I've seen any red or green on any of the handguns....

anyways, last night I bought a SEVA suit and it definitely makes a difference.  I was able to clear the whole military base in the south side of the Cordon (about 16 soldiers) without dying and salvaged a bunch of their stuff.  Unfortunately when I went to go back and grab the rest of the loot I found the soldiers had already respawned and the base was full again in just a few minutes.  the same thing is happening with the control point in the center of the Garbage.  I clear it, get the reward and the nmoment I leave that zone the bandits take it back.  the inside of the factory looks like it's setup to be an active base with a trader and all that yet no one goes there.

I've also been having trouble with the emissions.  I take cover in a building yet I always seem to die.   luckily when I reload the emission usually doesn't happen again, but other than the one in the swamp I have yet to survive one.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2008, 03:22:10 PM »

rumor has it there may be a new patch this week, but no one seems to know for sure whether or not it will render old save games obselete.  If it does I may just push forward and hope to encounter no issues as I think I'm a fair bit into the game.

Things are getting much easier now that I have the SEVA armor and the scoped assault rifle that the Freedom guys are fond of.  Unless I'm really careless I can take out groups of bandits fairly easily, and with the scope it's very easy to get a headshot.  The friendly AI is still acting incredible- last night I got a mission to take 2 objectives with some help and before I even got to the first one they had taken both.

It's also cool to see the places from the first game.  After I finish Clear Sky I think I'm going to go and play Shadows right away so I can compare the settings.

One thing that is annoying is how much the trader marks down stuff you trade in.  the most I've gotten from trading something in is maybe 1/6th the cost.  Considering the cost of upgrades on the more advanced stuff (my current rifles initial upgrades cost 2500, and the SEVA suit has initial upgrades of 5000) I'm not sure how I'll be able to afford the end game.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: