http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 01:55:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SSX: On Tour  (Read 2229 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2005, 02:55:17 AM »

IGN gave it a favorable review (8.Cool, and I've loved the other games in the series.  Who is picking it up?

The question is, which version, PS2 or XBox?  I've only played the PS2 versions previously, because I've liked the control with the duel shock controller.  The absolute worst design decision of the original XBox to me, was the placement of the white/black  buttons.  Does anyone know or have a guess if the black and white buttons are used in SSX to any large degree?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 02:58:44 AM »

I am seriously considering the PSP version. Saw a video clip that looked pretty amazing.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 11:44:40 AM »

This is out on the Gamecube right?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 12:18:58 PM »

PSP

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 03:13:27 PM »

I'm pretty sure the white and black buttons would be used since L1/L2 and R1/R2 are used in the PS2 SSX games.  I forget since I haven't played my Xbox copy of SSX 3 in a long time.

I still say the absence of an online mode is enough for me not to pick this up, even at the cheaper $40 price point.  Can probably wait for Amped 3 on 360.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 06:19:15 PM »

The Black and White buttons weren't used in either SSX Tricky or SSX3 on the Xbox from what I remember.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 01:48:06 PM »

IN!

PS2 version for me. SSX was by far the best PS2 launch title and I am nothing if not loyal. (Plus, I'm too accustomed to Tricky-ing with a PS2 controller to learn a new style.)

LOVE ME THE SSX!!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 02:02:30 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
The Black and White buttons weren't used in either SSX Tricky or SSX3 on the Xbox from what I remember.

Well, according to the Gamespot review the black and white buttons are used since they say the PS2 is slightly better because of all the buttons on the shoulder.  Granted, I didn't whip out SSX 3 last night to know for sure, but I was pretty sure it used white and black for the tricks corresponding to the R2 and L2 buttons on PS2.

I guess the Gamecube version has slowdown too.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 06:44:08 PM »

I think the XBox uses the triggers and face button combos (i.e. X+Y, etc) for tricks, rather than black and white buttons.  The FAQ for SSX3 should list the controls for the different versions - I remember checking it when trying to decide which version to get.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 06:48:14 PM »

You are correct since I looked it up.  I bet they changed the button layout for On Tour.

Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 01:10:43 AM »

ME ME ME ME ME!!!  I'm so used to the PS2 controls that I'm not sure about which to get.  I know the gfx are better on XBOX but are the controls as good?

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 02:25:15 AM »

Got it.
Off to try it out.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 05:15:30 AM »

Wow, this RULES.

Cool, Katamari-bizarro presentation, killer music, that good-old, rock-solid SSX gameplay we know and love, plus they made it a GAME again. I thought the mountain-simulation thing they did with SSX3 was impressive at first but in the long run it turned me off. That's why I'm so glad to see SSX: On Tour is structured as a series of fast-paced challenges (grind 150 feet, 20 seconds of airtime, 1 on 1 races, etc) and SSX tour events which are fun and addictive as hell. They incorporated some of the best things about other game series like Burnout (close calls with skier traffic on the mountain adds boost) and Amped (sponsorship deals, camera icons floating on the course.)

The only negative so far is that I don't really like the changes they made to the racing screen layout. They moved the boost meter to the bottom and stuck the trick score in the lower right-hand corner where it's pretty hard to see in the heat of the race. The graphical interface is the one place where the notebook-doodle art style doesn't work.

Huge thumbs up so far. Looks like it could be hugely, thoroughly, I-gotta-complete-this-thing addictive.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 06:06:30 AM »

Hmmmm very cool...I was a huge fan of SSX3.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 01:15:11 PM »

It's good for PSP too!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 02:47:57 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
It's good for PSP too!

You got this for your Gameboy over xbox?  You are a boob!

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 02:56:47 PM »

What's the point?
Xbox isn't online and I can play my gameboy version while I watch my Angels get screwed!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 03:19:42 PM »

Yeah... I shed a tear for you for about .26 seconds.  Poor Angels.

I didn't realize the new SSX was not Live enabled.  I retract my boob statement for the time being.  Do they still have all those cool characters with their cool personalities?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 03:25:27 PM »

Thanks for your support and the retraction!

Do they still have all those cool characters with their cool personalities?

Are you talking about SSX or the voices in my head?  :wink:

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 04:48:31 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Do they still have all those cool characters with their cool personalities?

I think so... sorta...

At the start, you choose a male/female persona (body type) from about 10 choices. Then you can adjust height and weight and choose a face with hair/makeup styles.  This make-your-own-racer feature is pretty lacking compared to games like Tiger Woods but it's not bad. The choices are more like Amped than SSX in that they're closer to realistic humans than stylized characters.

But, once you start playing the game and advance through the ranks, you unlock different characters. I've just started so I've only unlocked Nate so far. You get a little cutscene intro for each character. I don't know if you can race as those characters or if you can only race against them. I'll have to play some more and see how it develops as you go.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 06:31:08 PM »

Thanks.  Keep me (us) posted on that if you find out please.  I liked playing as those characters.

LD

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 06:50:32 PM »

The characters you choose to play seem kind of generic, to be honest.  The ones you compete against have more of the attitude.  I enjoyed the annoying David Arquette character myself.  I was sad to see him go.

Also, a note about the "one mountain" thing.  If you were annoyed by the heavily praised seemless mountain of the last game (as I was), you can rest a little more easily now.  You don't have to board around the mountain finding competitions.  That got old really fast for me (much like in Need For Speed Underground 2).  Now you can pick the competition from some icons on the mountain (more like choosing in Burnout 2) and get straight into it.  Much better...

As for the game itself, the greatest thing so far?  The theme graphics.  That may sound insulting, like the theme is the only thing that's good vis-a-vis the game graphics and gameplay, but those are what they are and what they've been (though I like the streamlined trick system, personally, but I still hate the d-pad pre-wind).  They're good, just not changed significantly.  However, the interface and icons and cutscenes and music are all really cool and give the other stuff a burst of energy that they've been needing.  Makes me want to keep playing, anyway.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 09:04:02 PM »

I just made it to Rookie rank 138 (I think) and unlocked something called the Free Ride mode. Haven't tried it yet but I wonder if you can choose to ride as the characters. I had to stop but I'll check a bit later. I unlocked one other character, Kaori.

I've played a few hours now and I only just noticed the icons under the map where you shop for clothes and snowboards and attributes. Looks like a good array of gear to collect and equip.

There are some cool "superpower" attributes with names like "Hypergalactic Energy of the Jackalope" or "Dextrous Handspring of the Moshpit Veteran" which give you skills like lessening your boost decay and getting up right away when you fall. These are very expensive.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2005, 06:17:14 AM »

Made it to rank 88. Very hard to stop playing this one.

Turns out you can race as the other characters in Quick Ride mode.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2005, 04:33:39 PM »

Made the mistake of picking up the PSP version for $10 more.  Luckily, EB let me exchange it this morning for the XBox version.  The PSP one feels like a tech demo compared to the XBox version, with a lot less to do, fewer custimization options, etc.  The sense of speed on the console version is great, while the PSP one feels very slow in comparison.  The PSP version apparently uses courses from the previous game, while a lot of the console version courses are newer.

Anyway, at $20 I think the PSP version of SSX would be worth it, even maybe $30.  But the PSP version is not worth $50, which is a joke since the console versions are $10 less.  

The PSP version may be the best looking PSP game out there.  On its own, it looked like a great game actually, but compared to its consoles ones, it is way short.

---
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2005, 03:25:08 AM »

(I wrote up this long post about SSX:On Tour over at bovine conpiracy. Just thought I'd slap it up here too.)

Some of the lengthier events make good use of those SSX3-style continuous mountain courses BUT you're not stuck having to navigate the top of the mountain like you did before. On Tour gives you a trail map with different icons representing a wide assortment of challenge events and official SSX Tour trick competitions and races.

You pick one, play it, win, move up in the rankings, then pick another. Along the way, you can shop for gear, clothing, and attributes. If you find one event frustrating, you can just jump back to the map and try something else. It's a dynamic assortment of challenges, not a static checklist, so events will rotate in and out. The difficulty ramps up pretty fast. As for the variety of events, I bet I've clocked about four hours by now (ranked 78th) and I'm still seeing new challenges.

I was real anal playing SSX3, where I'd have to get all the gold medals before progressing. I shelved the game after mastering about 80% of Peak 1 but never moved on to Peak 2. But On Tour plays fast and loose. You can just sorta do whatever you want without worrying about gold medals and first places all the time. For example, even if you come in second or third, you'll still move up on the official rankings.

The game feels a bit closer to SSX3 than Tricky, mostly due to the course design. I miss the feeling you'd get of "levels" in Tricky that you would unlock, explore, master, then move on. This mountain is more like SSX3 in how it feels just massive and unmasterable.

It's very reminiscent of Amped in the realistic characters and "pursuing a professional snowboarding career" design. I always loved that approach in Amped, I just didn't like the game controls nearly as much as the hypnotic bliss of SSX racing/boosting/tricking. So this new game is a great fit for what I want out of a snowboard game.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things I loved about the series, especially Tricky, that are now missing. The biggest one is the characters. They've been toned down so much here that they're borderline indistinguishable. All you get from each personality is a short and hyper character-intro video and then a few taunts when you race against them. It's pretty drab compared to the professionally voice-acted characters they've included in the past. (Oliver Platt!) I also miss RunDMC.

It's a good SSX game. Gamespot's 8.7 is dead on. The new heavy-metal-highschool-notebook-ligers-are-bred-for-their-skills-in-magic art style is pretty inspired. Still remains to be seen what kind of legs it'll have. There's lots of stiff competition right now, not to mention a next-gen console coming soon. (Bring on SSXbox360!)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2005, 05:49:30 AM »

My wife and I have been playing this obsessively for the last two days.  Completely loving it.  It had really fallen under our radar.  So far:  SSS Tricky > SSS On Tour > SSX 3 > SSX
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2005, 09:31:07 AM »

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things I loved about the series, especially Tricky, that are now missing. The biggest one is the characters. They've been toned down so much here that they're borderline indistinguishable. All you get from each personality is a short and hyper character-intro video and then a few taunts when you race against them. It's pretty drab compared to the professionally voice-acted characters they've included in the past. (Oliver Platt!) I also miss RunDMC.

I really miss the characters/personality as well, and RunDMC as you build your meter.  The courses all seem somewhat generic so far as well.

I am really enjoying the sense of speed with On Tour though, and the music.  There is also a ton of stuff to do, and a lot of new fun events that I like.  The snow patrol chase is fun, something my 5 year old loves.

---
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2005, 02:33:13 PM »

SSS Tricky > SSS On Tour > SSX 3 > SSX

Agree with that completely.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2005, 06:01:25 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
SSS Tricky > SSS On Tour > SSX 3 > SSX

Agree with that completely.

Amped2>SSX slywink

jk!!! I'm not a troll, I just play one on TV. biggrin

I would have picked it up for a month (@10bux) but... no LIVE, No Purge.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: