http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 11:28:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SSX Blur Review(s)  (Read 3639 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2007, 03:28:46 PM »

I've read that you there's a slider that lets you determine how much steering is with the analog stick and how much with tilting the nunhuck itself, and that you can slide all the way to one side to make the analog stick control everything.  Is the opposite true?  Can you make it entirely controlled by motion sensing...and does it work?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 12:29:11 AM »

Gamespy has now posted a review and awarded it 3.5 / 5

LINK http://wii.gamespy.com/wii/ssx-wii/769330p1.html

Pros:
Crisp visuals; good controls when mastered; excellent soundtrack; should appeal to fans of the series.

Cons:
Tough initial learning curve; ubers are unreliable; multiplayer is an afterthought; limited tricks.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2007, 04:51:46 PM »

That's a pretty fair summary. Learning the new controls has been mostly fun but occasionally frustrating.

I just unlocked Peak 2 by completing the 2nd tournament. This game seems to downplay the need to get first place or gold medals in the tournaments. Usually I'm really anal about wanting to get first before moving on, but on the tournament screen I don't even see a bronze/silver/gold 3/2/1 indicator or anything. Which is good, because it keeps me moving forward.

My favorite part of SSX has always been the races (where you need to do tricks to fuel your boost meter to win) but some of the side events here are kind of cool. Slalom is fun because of the new wrist-twisting control.

At first I thought the snowball throwing was goofy but last night I was racing to the finish line trying to catch up with the leader right in front of me. One snowball to his back slowed him down just enough for me to overtake him and win.  nod icon_cool Tongue icon_twisted
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 04:53:45 PM by rrmorton » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2007, 05:25:48 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on March 02, 2007, 04:51:46 PM

At first I thought the snowball throwing was goofy but last night I was racing to the finish line trying to catch up with the leader right in front of me. One snowball to his back slowed him down just enough for me to overtake him and win.  nod icon_cool Tongue icon_twisted

Yup, the snowball throwing is proving to be a real blast. So much so that I'd be surprised if it's not included in new SSX games on other consoles.

My experience with tilting the nunchuk for carving has been pathetic; haven't been able to nail more than 5 of the 6 arrows in the tutorial.   icon_confused
I disabled tilt control for now by placing the carve slider all the way to the right and was able to ace the tutorial on my 1st try. I'll give nunchcuk tilting a try again once I get a better handle on the other controls.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2007, 05:56:01 PM »

It really is a whole new set of hand-eye and muscle coordination skills that Nintendo has dropped in our laps. In some cases it's effortless (like Wii Sports) but in other cases, especially genres or brands we're already familiar with, it can be a real step backwards before getting comfortable again.

In the case of a game like SSX, which not all that long ago ruled the universe with its sheer awesomeness, it's really up to the individual if they're still into it enough to want to tackle the challenge of entirely re-learning how to play the game.

I think in some cases it'll be 1 step backwards, 2 steps forwards. In other cases it might feel like 8 steps backwards, 2 steps forward. In other words, what you gain won't be worth the effort. (Wii FPS games have me worried.) At the same time, I do enjoy the new physicality of the experience. The way we used to use body english, leaning and twisting a gamepad left and right while turning or flipping in the air for instance. Now that's how we actually play the game.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:58:58 PM by rrmorton » Logged
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2007, 10:26:43 PM »

Well i was a huge fan of Downhill Jam and have never played a SSX game, so i picked it up this afternoon and look forward to getting some time in this weekend.  Been really excited about this one and from what i am reading, i should be happy with my purchase.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2007, 10:49:44 PM »

Cool. I hope you like it as much as I do. I'm pretty hooked.

Quote from: rrmorton
...on the tournament screen I don't even see a bronze/silver/gold 3/2/1 indicator or anything.

I discovered that there is a color-coded star symbol which appears on the tournament icon showing your best result, 3rd, 2nd, or 1st. I've got silver on the first 4 tournaments but no golds yet.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2007, 03:15:45 AM »

Oddly enough, you only have to place to "win" the tournament. Kind of Weird, but I'll go along with it.

Two things I don't like about Blur, No voice overs. I loved the voice acting in Tricky, and they really lent the characters some well, character. I have a feeling the game was fast forwarded by EA to get on the Wii bus as soon as possible. If they had a couple months they could've gotten VA in. Second, slalom is tough. Mainly because cutting(trying to turn in the opposite direction than the one you are facing) in the snow is obviously harder than leaning, but in SSX it's extra tough. It's almost as if you need to figure out how to switch footings after each gate to make it easier to pass them all. There doesn't seem to be a sensitivity meter that allows you to cut back better. Hopefully as my character improves and I get better edging the slaloms will become easier.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2007, 05:54:00 AM »

Well thanks to MLB 2k7, i only played through the tutorials of SSX tonight.  First impressions are.......yikes it's gonna take some time to get the controls down.  I never could get the twists and flips down.  I got a could flips in, but not once could i make a twist.  Also was totally lost on doing the Uber Tricks.  Definitely looks like a keeper for me, but it'll take some practice that is for sure.  I'm so use to Downhill Jam's easy pick up and learn that SSX put me back in my place.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2007, 06:20:25 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on March 04, 2007, 03:15:45 AM

Oddly enough, you only have to place to "win" the tournament. Kind of Weird, but I'll go along with it.

Two things I don't like about Blur, No voice overs. I loved the voice acting in Tricky, and they really lent the characters some well, character. I have a feeling the game was fast forwarded by EA to get on the Wii bus as soon as possible. If they had a couple months they could've gotten VA in. Second, slalom is tough. Mainly because cutting(trying to turn in the opposite direction than the one you are facing) in the snow is obviously harder than leaning, but in SSX it's extra tough. It's almost as if you need to figure out how to switch footings after each gate to make it easier to pass them all. There doesn't seem to be a sensitivity meter that allows you to cut back better. Hopefully as my character improves and I get better edging the slaloms will become easier.

Slaloms are a royal pain, it's true.  One thing that helped me is that you don't have to go around each flag, you just have to go over it and make it bend down.  Saves a lot on the cutting, but it's still way too tough.  I think I placed 3rd once.

I don't think there were voice-overs in SSX 3, either.  In fact, this whole production seems very similar to that game.  There are parts of the mountain that are absolutely the same and the DJ is very similar, too (same guy, but his patter seems a little less annoying this time out).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2007, 10:51:04 PM »

Have just gotten through trying this for the first time.
The nunchuck turning control is fantastic.
Trick recognition seems a bit off at times, though.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2007, 11:03:50 PM »

Yeah, the tilt-carving and analog stick fine-tuning is where this new control scheme shines. The flipping and rotating is a bit flakier but it usually works as intended.

So far after about 4 hours of play, I've managed to do exactly one ubertrick and I accidentally pressed A right after it began so I think I canceled it or something. I face planted right after I saw some kind of glowy ubertrick effect. What I need is a good place to practice them. Maybe the half pipe would work. I've given up even trying to pull them off since they're so unbelievably finicky.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2007, 12:28:23 AM »

The half pipe after Snow Jam on Peak 1 is one of the better areas to practice.

Doing the Loop, Z and Double Loop are pretty easy with some practice. It really is about deliberate movement, but it doesn't have to be large scale waggling and flailing. You can execute Ubers with simple wrist motion. In fact, I find the Z motion easier with just flipping the wrist.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2007, 12:31:31 AM »

Do you get some benefit from the ubers other than large amounts of points?

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2007, 04:41:46 AM »

I almost bought this today since I have a $50 Best Buy gift card crying to be used. Instead I actually was prudent and rented it from Blockbuster. I think in many ways it's a neat game, but I am not sure if it will hold my interest. I like the feel of going down the slopes and steering with the stick and tilting the nunchuck. I have a lot of trouble with just about all of the tricks. Often my flips register as spins. I can't come close to consistently doing the grabs, even when I SEE the guy do a grab I often fail to get credit for it in the tutorial. I think I managed 1 ubertrick one time. I think I would enjoy this more as just a standard snowboard racing game minus all (or most of) the wacky tricks. I guess that would bore most others. I am completely clueless on what to do on the halfpipe things. I tend to crash and burn a lot on the tricks. I have it for 5 days, so I will play with it more. I like the graphics and sounds, but find the DJ annoyingly distracting. This is my first SSX game ever, so I don't know if I have issues with the Wii specific controls or if I am just a total noob.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2007, 06:50:23 AM »

If you haven't tried the multiplay racing yet...you're missing out. My son and I put in a lot of time this weekend racing 1 -on -1 and I've got to say the snowball throwing is a riot! The racing takes on a whole new dimension when you've got to worry about dodging snowballs from behind. Of course it can be damn frustrating too when you get nailed a few feet from the finish line.  icon_surprised
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2007, 12:27:10 PM »

JCC the idea on the half pipe is to go side to side doing tricks at the top on each side. The faster the better, as this will give you more hang time.

Yeah I found some of the tutorials a bit...strange, in the sense that I knew exactly what I needed to do, and they weren't hard to do, yet it took me a bunch of tries on some of them.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »

Quote from: JCC on March 07, 2007, 04:41:46 AM

I almost bought this today since I have a $50 Best Buy gift card crying to be used. Instead I actually was prudent and rented it from Blockbuster. I think in many ways it's a neat game, but I am not sure if it will hold my interest. I like the feel of going down the slopes and steering with the stick and tilting the nunchuck. I have a lot of trouble with just about all of the tricks. Often my flips register as spins. I can't come close to consistently doing the grabs, even when I SEE the guy do a grab I often fail to get credit for it in the tutorial. I think I managed 1 ubertrick one time. I think I would enjoy this more as just a standard snowboard racing game minus all (or most of) the wacky tricks. I guess that would bore most others. I am completely clueless on what to do on the halfpipe things. I tend to crash and burn a lot on the tricks. I have it for 5 days, so I will play with it more. I like the graphics and sounds, but find the DJ annoyingly distracting. This is my first SSX game ever, so I don't know if I have issues with the Wii specific controls or if I am just a total noob.

Lessen you chances of crashing hit the A button prior to landing, but make sure to give your character time to correct its position.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »

Last week I cancelled my C&C3 preorder and picked this up instead.  I'm really really enjoying it so far.  The controls do take a little getting used to, but for me the trick was to change the control slider to be entirely tilt control, no analog stick.  This was far more intuitive to me, using both tilt and joystick at the same time was very awkward.  The nunchuck is sensitive enough to register fine movements, like lining up precisely for a jump or balancing on a rail, and it feels natural to just use the stick to brake or get into a tuck. 

The uber tricks were impossible until I found "the trick" to them, or at least what it was for me.  Initially, I was holding down the A button, doing the motion, and then staring disappointedly at my non-uber character while still holding the button.  Once I realized that you need to release the A button right exactly when you're finished tracing the pattern, I was batting .800 on the ubers.

Towards the end of a long session with the game, it suddenly hit me just how much I was getting into the Wii controls.  I'd gotten so used to them, I had to take a step back to realize that I was flailing my remote around like a conductor on every jump.  (Actually, I think the realization came when I smacked the coffee table on a double back flip.)  I know it's a bit corny to say it, but the motion sensing really does get you more involved in games that properly implement the controls.  It feels like it'd be so boring to go back to the old dual shock control scheme for SSX.

I do miss having the characters talk, and it's a shame there are only 4 types of grabs.  They easily could've tripled the number of grabs by adding the C button on the nunchuck as a modifier, make it so you tilt while holding Z, holding C, or holding both.

Still, having a blast with it so far, very glad I decided to buy it after all.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2007, 02:39:28 AM »

So is anybody still playing this one?  I picked it up last weekend and I have to say that I have a very strong love/hate relationship with it.  I love the feel of just carving down the mountain (to the point where I wish you could just do a true freeride) but other things like the Slalom and inconsistent tricks are extremely frustrating. 

I honestly can't believe that slalom course you are required to beat just to open Peak 2.  Once you go too fast or lose control at the halfway point with those moguls you are just screwed and might as well restart.  I was inventing new swear words like I was blowing bubbles. 

I don't have too much trouble performing Uber Tricks when in the half-pipe, but they work only 1/4 of the time (if that) when I'm actually going down the slopes.  I wish there was just a simple on-screen indicator after I push 'A' so that I knew it was taking my input for an Uber.  User feedback = good.  I guess I will have to try releasing 'A' right after I input it like you suggested, wonderpug. 

The regular tricks tend to be a bit more of a toss up for me.  Many times it doesn't seem to do what I want so I end up just flailing my arms like a spaz.  Button mashing for the new generation, I guess.   icon_frown  Also, what is with not being able to start a spin if you are in a grab? 

I've noticed that when I do some Challenges (slopestyle, type I think) it ports me to another part of the mountain that is more wide open, very long and no signs or rails or anything.  Is there a way to just go to those areas when I want to? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2007, 03:31:56 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 07, 2007, 02:02:33 PM

Last week I cancelled my C&C3 preorder and picked this up instead. 

Wow, could you find two more different games?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2007, 05:29:25 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 18, 2007, 03:31:56 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 07, 2007, 02:02:33 PM

Last week I cancelled my C&C3 preorder and picked this up instead. 

Wow, could you find two more different games?

Well, I am trying to decide between God of War 2 or Puzzle Quest this week... 
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2007, 05:50:24 PM »

Kratos would not approve.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: