http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 05:47:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Square Enix Party; a Few Surprises  (Read 1921 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2007, 02:34:43 AM »

I didn't notice any articles on the front news page so I thought I'd paste a link to the Gamespot news item:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6170686.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1

A few surprises, at least for me, in that they announced that they're developing a Final Fantasy Tactics 2 for the DS.  And there's many other titles being destined for the DS; A Wonderful Life being just one of them. They also showed footage of a new Star Ocean that has advanced voice acting; sounds like it's being developed for the PS3. They also showed footage for the new Kingdom Hearts, but very few details with the promise that it will be presented at length for the Tokyo Game Show in Sept. Still only Dragon Quest Swords for Wii with no announcement of any other new titles; personally a bit disappointed and surprised by this. Perhaps in September...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 02:36:34 AM by kronovan » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 07:21:47 AM »

In addition to DQ Swords, there's also a Crystal Chronicles game in development for the Wii.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 07:48:39 AM »

for me i think the biggest news to come out of this party is the 4th final fantasy 11 expansion..wings of the goddess,coming this winter...the question being will the bigger hard drive be available for me when it does come....that sucker could very well end up in a year or two of owning all of my 13 gig on my 360 disgust

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 13, 2007, 07:21:47 AM

In addition to DQ Swords, there's also a Crystal Chronicles game in development for the Wii.

Oops, forgot about Crystal Chronicles for the Wii.  Interesting that there's no mention of a demo booth for it; Just the DS version. You'd think being the 2nd entry in a series they'd be promoting it more.

I was hoping for an announcement that a series like KH would be coming to the Wii. They kept the details of the upcoming KH sequel very much under wraps, so it's still possible.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 05:55:37 PM »

No, the new Kingdom Hearts is definitely being put on a handheld.  So far all signs point to the PSP.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:10:31 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 13, 2007, 05:55:37 PM

No, the new Kingdom Hearts is definitely being put on a handheld.  So far all signs point to the PSP.

so,that means that for most of the game i am gonna be screaming at the camera control

EDIT:here is the final fantasy 4 DS site...not much on it at the moment (in fact there is a picture and some music..and thats yer lot)

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff4ds/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 10:15:03 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 11:13:40 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 13, 2007, 05:55:37 PM

Sources?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:55:01 PM »

1up podcast, they were at the press event, couldn't talk about it exactly, but they pretty much gave it away by saying something like "oh yeah, you know the new kingdom hearts is coming out" yeah look for it on a handheld maybe... <then a lot more softly> maybe on the psp?  But who knows?"

It's also the general consensus amongst the better of the "rumor" sites like Kotaku and such.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 12:14:11 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 13, 2007, 02:34:43 AM

A few surprises, at least for me, in that they announced that they're developing a Final Fantasy Tactics 2 for the DS.

Actually they're developing a Final Fantasy Advance Tactics.  Not a big difference to some but a HUGE difference to me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 12:43:28 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 13, 2007, 11:55:01 PM

1up podcast, they were at the press event, couldn't talk about it exactly, but they pretty much gave it away by saying something like "oh yeah, you know the new kingdom hearts is coming out" yeah look for it on a handheld maybe... <then a lot more softly> maybe on the psp?  But who knows?"

It's also the general consensus amongst the better of the "rumor" sites like Kotaku and such.

well crap, I liked Kingdom Hearts but not enough to pick up a new system to play it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 01:48:29 AM »

The new Kingdom Hearts game isn't KH3, but most likely Kingdom Hearts 2.5, just as Chain of Memories for the GBA was KH 1.5.  There's also some information on the FF4 remake here, including the fact that there will be voice acting smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 02:09:07 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 14, 2007, 12:14:11 AM

A few surprises, at least for me, in that they announced that they're developing a Final Fantasy Tactics 2 for the DS.

Actually they're developing a Final Fantasy Advance Tactics.  Not a big difference to some but a HUGE difference to me.

Yes, he's right: it's FFTA2, not FFT2.  Damn... I still need to play FFT  icon_frown Damn backlog.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 03:33:31 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 13, 2007, 11:55:01 PM

Still surprising to me that they'd be bringing this to the PSP when they already have KH:CoM on the GBA. They could use the existing code base to considerably lessen the development effort for a DS version. Plus the fact that the GBA game was a decent game to begin with and sold quite well.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »

Canuck you're abolutely correct; my mistake in omitting 'advanced'. This is a continuation of the GBA FFT game and not an offspring of the PS FFT game.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 05:14:13 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 14, 2007, 03:38:20 PM

Canuck you're abolutely correct; my mistake in omitting 'advanced'. This is a continuation of the GBA FFT game and not an offspring of the PS FFT game.

The teaser trailer for FFTA2 is now up: http://www.ffta2.com Click on one of the icons in the bottom right to see it.

Those who didn't like the 'kiddy' qualities of the original won't like this one any better.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 05:41:43 PM »

I got a chuckle out of this one. Here's the full list of Final Fantasy titles currently in development. Man, talk about flogging a franchise...

Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII Versus
Final Fantasy Crisis Core
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Rings of Fate
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy IV DS
Final Fantasy XII International
Final Fantasy XI: Athena's Holy Soldiers
Final Fantasy Dissidia
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance II
Final Fantasy XIII Agito
Final Fantasy: Dirge of Cerberus: The Lost Episode
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 05:43:33 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 05:45:41 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on May 14, 2007, 05:41:43 PM

I got a chuckle out of this one. Here's the full list of Final Fantasy titles currently in development. Man, talk about flogging a franchise...

Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Final Fantasy IV DS
Final Fantasy XII International
Final Fantasy XI: Athena's Holy Soldiers
Final Fantasy Dissidia
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy XIII Agito
Final Fantasy: Dirge of Cerberus: The Lost Episode

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 05:58:05 PM »

There hasn't been a flogging of this magnitude since 3DO turned the Might and Magic franchise into a shattered empty shell of its former self.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 05:59:52 PM »

I have extreme, all consuming love for Final Fantasy, and even I think this is just freaking nuts. What is going on here? At least the "core" games, ie, Final Fantasy XIII proper aren't being totally bastardized. As long as that continues and the spin-offs are actually, you know, good games, I will be ok.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 06:05:14 PM »

Wih a list of upcoming Final Fantasy games that long and the fact that 2 of them are remakes, it's no surpirse Square Enix doesn't want to release any titles on VC, XBLA or the PS3 arcade.  Roll Eyes

That Dilberts too funny  icon_lol
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:09:27 PM by kronovan » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 07:00:39 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on May 14, 2007, 05:14:13 PM

Quote from: kronovan on May 14, 2007, 03:38:20 PM

The teaser trailer for FFTA2 is now up: http://www.ffta2.com Click on one of the icons in the bottom right to see it.

Those who didn't like the 'kiddy' qualities of the original won't like this one any better.

holy shit!!! - i have just watched the video of the sequel to my #1 favorite gba title ever, & it looks flippin' fantastic!!!...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 07:43:59 PM »

I love Squeenix and FF, but I think I liked them better when they had the no-sequel policy.  This looks like they are just whoring it out.  Not that I won't end up eventually playing them all...  I'm just sayin'.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 07:51:07 PM »

maybe square wanna split with enix and they wanna make sure they have the money this time to be on their own,LOL

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 08:04:53 PM »

By the same logic that KH:CoM was on GBA/DS, Kingdom Hearts itself is on the PS2 and there's a good track record of PS2 game engines getting ported over to the PSP.  Also they can use a lot of art assets from the PS2 version, simply scaling them down for the PSP, much in the same way they're using a lot of assets from God of War in the psp version.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 08:06:26 PM by Turtle » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 08:14:46 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on May 14, 2007, 07:43:59 PM

I love Squeenix and FF, but I think I liked them better when they had the no-sequel policy.  This looks like they are just whoring it out. 

When was that?

In the PS1 generation we saw remakes/re-releases of FF 1,2,4,5,6 and Chrono Trigger.  We also saw the release of several "side" Final Fantasy projects like Final Fantasy Tactics and four million Chocobo games.  Final Fantasy 9 was originally conceived of as a "side" project as well but Square later decided to slap a 9 on it and make it a main series entry. They've also been remaking franchise entries for portables ever since the Wonderswan Color hit in 2000. 

Square has been all about pimping the Final Fantasy name for at least the past three generations. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 10:02:42 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on May 14, 2007, 05:14:13 PM

That just made my entire week.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 10:09:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 14, 2007, 08:14:46 PM

Square has been all about pimping the Final Fantasy name for at least the past three generations.

good point - &, when done well (as with, most recently, chocobo tales), does anyone really care? the problem i have with the 'flogging' analogy is that, according to sales figures anyway, the 'horse' is by no means dead. 'pimping' i'd say is much more appropriate...

anyway, scrap the remakes (fft on the psp being the only one i personally will be getting), & the expansions, & you end up with 9 'new' games:

2 spin-offs:

3 pseudo-sequels:

3 fabula nova crystallis games:
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII Agito

& whatever the hell Final Fantasy Dissidia is...

if you've recently experienced the beauty of ff12, i ask you: why would this situation not make you happy? i say, keep on pimpin'...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 12:31:55 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 14, 2007, 08:14:46 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on May 14, 2007, 07:43:59 PM

I love Squeenix and FF, but I think I liked them better when they had the no-sequel policy.  This looks like they are just whoring it out. 

When was that?

They said it back in the day regarding all the people pining for an FF7 sequel.

In the PS1 generation we saw remakes/re-releases of FF 1,2,4,5,6 and Chrono Trigger.

Well, first off, a remake and a re-release isn't a sequel.  And second, Chrono Trigger isn't a Final Fantasy game  Tongue

We also saw the release of several "side" Final Fantasy projects like Final Fantasy Tactics and four million Chocobo games.

Again, not a sequel.  FF X and X-2 were pretty much the first time they revisited an old FF game world.

Final Fantasy 9 was originally conceived of as a "side" project as well but Square later decided to slap a 9 on it and make it a main series entry. They've also been remaking franchise entries for portables ever since the Wonderswan Color hit in 2000. 

FF was more a brand name, since there really isn't any continuity from one to the next.  I can't really fault the concept, since it gave us so many great console RPGs.  But geez, they are going fricken sequel crazy now.

Like I said, I'll probably end up playing them, but still, I hope they aren't going to damage the brand by creating FF fatigue.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 12:34:55 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 12:56:47 AM »

Unbreakable, my apologies- I thought you were referring to the general flood of FF titles.

As for "no sequels"- they still aren't flooding the market with them- FFX-2 and FFTA2 are the only true sequels in the franchise with a possible case that could be made for FF12: Revenant Wings.

The FF13 titles announced so far aren't sequels.  Supposedly they share similar "mythologies" (whatever that means) but take place on entirely separate worlds with entirely different stories and characters. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 02:37:51 AM »

The way I look at it is that Square Enix could make a fighting game with generic characters, or an RTS set in some new world, or they could make a fighting game with FF characters and an RTS set in Ivalice.  As long as the main series doesn't suffer (and with FFX and FFXII, it certainly hasn't), I'd rather have the latter.

Also, Square Enix confirmed the US release and dates of some of the games - Dragon Quest Monsters : Joker and Revenant Wings are coming in Q4 2007, FF Tactics for the PSP is coming in October, and DQ Swords for Wii is coming sometime in 2008.  RPGamer has the details here.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 02:43:19 AM by EddieA » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 02:54:51 AM »

Bummer about DQ: Swords. I thougth it was a 2007 release and a Summer one at that.  icon_cry
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 03:51:58 AM »

I really hope that FFT has a new translation.

I think it's a mistake putting off DQ: Swords until 2008.  I think it could do very well on the Wii for holidays. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 04:01:11 AM »

okay did some searching, and looking at the SE press release, there is no mention of a date at all for DQ: Swords;

http://kotaku.com/gaming/square_enix/square+enix-usa-opens-final-fantasy-dragon-quest-floodgates-260351.php

Square Enix Allies DRAGON QUEST and IVALICE For North America

Two Blockbuster Franchises Contain Four Exciting Titles Spanning Three Different Platforms

LOS ANGELES, May 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix(TM) interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it is bringing the next installments in the vaunted DRAGON QUEST(R) franchise and the all-new IVALICE ALLIANCE(TM) to North America. This exciting announcement brings forth four new titles that are set to revolutionize the way that players experience video gaming on the Nintendo DS(TM), Wii(TM) and the PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) system in the coming year.

Having sold more than 41 million units worldwide, DRAGON QUEST is the premiere RPG franchise that has captivated audiences around the world for more than 20 years. Combining ingenious gameplay elements from series creator Yuji Horii, character designs from famed artist Akira Toriyama and music from renowned composer Koichi Sugiyama, the "golden trio" of game designers has delivered a timeless franchise that continues to reinvent itself in new and exciting ways. For 2007 and 2008 Square Enix will expand the franchise with the release of DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS -Joker(TM), an addictive handheld monster collection RPG, and DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors(TM), an intuitive action RPG for the Wii home video game system.

Ten years after FINAL FANTASY TACTICS(R) gave birth to the world of Ivalice, Square Enix introduces IVALICE ALLIANCE, a cachet of titles set in the fantastical game world that serves as the backdrop for classic titles such as FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS Advance and FINAL FANTASY(R) XII. Comprised of two unique titles for North America thus far, the IVALICE ALLIANCE seeks to offer a diverse collection of titles for a multitude of platforms. Discover a new Ivalice with every addition to the
alliance, each crafted by a development team with a unique vision.

DRAGON QUEST

DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS - Joker
Platform: Nintendo DS
ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated
Release Date: Q4 2007

DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS - Joker is the latest installment in the venerable RPG franchise that has sold more than 41 million units worldwide. Developed exclusively for the Nintendo DS and arriving in North America in Q4 2007, players assume the role of a monster hunter as they capture, train and breed a powerful army from more than 200 classic DRAGON QUEST creatures in order to become the world's greatest monster trainer. Already achieving sales of more than 1 million units in Japan, DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS - Joker is a breakout title that combines the depth of a classic DRAGON QUEST RPG with the addictiveness of a monster catching adventure.

DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Platform: Wii
Release Date: TBA

Developed from the ground up to take advantage of the Nintendo Wii and its motion sensing technology, the worldwide phenomenon that has captivated more than 41 million players across the world slashes its way onto Nintendo's next- generation platform in 2008 in the form of DRAGON QUEST
SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors. This exclusive title utilizes the Wii's motion sensing controls as players use the Wii remote to slash, parry and slice their way through a land filled with trademark DRAGON QUEST foes. Developed with both longtime fans and casual audiences in mind, DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors is poised to take video gaming to an entirely new level of fun and interaction.

IVALICE ALLIANCE

FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The War of the Lions
Platform: PSP system
Release Date: October 2007

Originally released in 1997, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The War of the Lions is a portable update on the classic turn-based strategy game that gave birth to the world of Ivalice. In development exclusively for the PSP system, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The Lion War features PSP system exclusive content not found on the original classic including all-new CG sequences, all-new jobs, new 16:9 widescreen presentation, new head-to-head multiplayer and new storyline elements that refine the genesis of the IVALICE ALLIANCE. FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The War of the Lions will be released simultaneously in North American and European territories.

FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS(TM)
Platform: Nintendo DS
Release Date: Coming this Winter

Continuing the story of the beloved classic that captivated more than 5 million players around the world, FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS progresses the tale that won numerous accolades from the industry's top publications. Developed exclusively for the Nintendo DS, FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS is a sophisticated experience that commands full use of the Nintendo DS functionality. Featuring full Touch Screen functionality, FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS allows players to control massive armies, utilize special moves and activate Gambits, all with the use of the stylus. The world of Ivalice comes alive through the classic musical composition of Hitoshi Sakimoto and the direction of Motomu Toriyama, the director of FINAL FANTASY X-2 and the upcoming FINAL FANTASY XIII.

Realy does stink about DQ Swords, just a vague it's coming in 2008.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
unbreakable
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007, 04:04:32 PM »

One thing I find really strange: I have never played a DQ game before, but for some reason that's the DS game I'm most looking forward to.

Kevin: Some of the games (like Crisis Core) are set in the same world, although not necessarily being a sequel.  But this was kind of verboten at Squeenix for a long time: there was a really huge demand for more of *anything* in the FF7 world.  Now I'm not saying it's bad that they changed their mind and are revisiting their most popular worlds, but still... space it out at least slywink

FF:CC on the DS is genius, though.  The multiplayer concept CC was going for was released a generation too soon.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 04:09:40 PM by unbreakable » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 04:56:12 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on May 15, 2007, 04:04:32 PM

FF:CC on the DS is genius, though.  The multiplayer concept CC was going for was released a generation too soon.

I agree, I'm very much looking forward to the DS version of this game.  I only rented the original FF:CC cube game because I didn't have enough friends with GBA's at the time to play the game to it's fullest potential.
IMO many of the GBA-GC connectivity concepts could be effectively implemented using the DS's dual screen and WiFi capabilities. Interesting enough, the GBA-GC connectivity program was the 1st initiative of the new Nintendo management team that has since brought us the DS and the Wii.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2007, 05:54:36 AM »

According to the latest information on FFIV, during dungeon exploration, the second screen will contain a map of the dungeon  icon_biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: