http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:43:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Square Enix & Konami sales figures  (Read 777 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2005, 01:46:51 PM »

These are pretty impressive.  Guess we don't have to worry about either of these companies going out of business.

Konami
Square Enix

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 06:26:12 PM »

I like some Konami stuff, but S-E has made the same game, over and over for so long..
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 10:39:38 PM »

Quote from: "WestNile"
I like some Konami stuff, but S-E has made the same game, over and over for so long..

Being a Squaresoft fanboy . . . and I guess a loyal S-E supporter . . . I hate to say it but I can somewhat agree with that statement.  Ever since the merger they haven't really put out anything I've really TRULY enjoyed (except for ffxi   biggrin ).  I still buy everything they put out, but it just seems like it's been pretty "meh" lately.  Front Mission 4 wasn't like Front Mission 3 for me.  Drakengard, well, I had fun for a couple of hours.  Star Ocean was pretty fun but ultimately put it down after about 30 hours.  Full Metal Alchemist?  Haven't tried it but getting pretty bad reviews.

I still think they are truly the greatest company.  They put out fantastic products and usually, USUALLY never skimp on any sort of production value.  As far as "putting out the same game, over and over" argument . . . I can't fully agree with that.  And if that's the case, well, I guess the mentality of, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind.

I hope they can release Radiata Stories in the U.S. though.  That looks like a fun RPG.  Plus it's also developed by Tri-Ace.  And that alone wants me to be able to play it   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 11:08:19 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Quote from: "WestNile"

Being a Squaresoft fanboy . . . and I guess a loyal S-E supporter . . . I hate to say it but I can somewhat agree with that statement.  Ever since the merger they haven't really put out anything I've really TRULY enjoyed (except for ffxi   biggrin ).  I still buy everything they put out, but it just seems like it's been pretty "meh" lately.  Front Mission 4 wasn't like Front Mission 3 for me.  Drakengard, well, I had fun for a couple of hours.  Star Ocean was pretty fun but ultimately put it down after about 30 hours.  Full Metal Alchemist?  Haven't tried it but getting pretty bad reviews.

I still think they are truly the greatest company.  They put out fantastic products and usually, USUALLY never skimp on any sort of production value.  As far as "putting out the same game, over and over" argument . . . I can't fully agree with that.  And if that's the case, well, I guess the mentality of, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind.

I hope they can release Radiata Stories in the U.S. though.  That looks like a fun RPG.  Plus it's also developed by Tri-Ace.  And that alone wants me to be able to play it   biggrin

That's an interesting point.   I'm a complete Square whore, and would buy anything with their name on it on release day.  However, I have yet to enjoy an Enix game.  In fact, two of my least favorite games were developed mostly by Enix (Star Ocean 3 & Dragon Warrior 7).

I don't know how much the product quality decline can be contributed to the merger, but it certainly seems like there has been a significant drop in creativity and overall polish in SE's recent games.  To be fair, I can't comment on FFXI, as I despise the entire idea of the MMORPG.  But recent games just seem to have lost that magic that a Square-developed game used to contain.

I'm hoping games like FFXII and the new Musashi can buck this trend.  I still at least give most SE games a try, but they're quickly becoming a rental rather than a purchase.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 03:04:19 AM »

"I don't know how much the product quality decline can be contributed to the merger, but it certainly seems like there has been a significant drop in creativity and overall polish in SE's recent games."
I think it has more to do with Square's need to make up for the huge loss that was Final Fantasy : The Spirits Within.  They needed money, so quick-turnaround games like FFX-2 (which I thought was great in its own way) and easily localized games like Drakengard were released.  I have to disagree about Enix, as I thought DW7 and Star Ocean 3 were absolutely fantastic, with SO3 competing with FFX as my favorite game of all time.  I have never seen a game so polished and detailed as SO3. From the incredibly detailed scenery to the huge backstory and details on everything in the world from the races to the plants and animals, the game was obviously a labor of love for the designers.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: