http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 07:22:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Square Enix E3 lineup  (Read 1722 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2005, 06:54:13 AM »

Game Informer has a list of the games Square Enix will be showing at E3.  Finally, we get official US confirmation for Dragon Quest 8, as well as Radiata Stories, and Romancing Saga : Minstrel Song.  Now, if only Sony will be showing Dark Cloud 3, I'll be very happy.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 07:09:34 AM »

I am making snore noises.  I wish you guys could hear them.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 07:16:44 AM »

The list is absent any DS or PSP games.  There is some speculation that the DS games (FF3, FF:CC, and that Dragon Quest Egg thing) may be absent because they will be shown at Nintendo's booth.  Wouldn't be surprising since Nintendo has acted as the publisher for several of SE
s GBA games and may be doing the same for their DS games.  

The only SE announced PSP game is FF: Crisis Core and it may still be too early to be shown or that might be shown in Sony's booth.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 09:15:27 AM »

Romancing Saga - Minstrel Song has always been somewhat interesting to me.  Looking forward to some info on that   biggrin

Dragon Quest 8 and Radiata Stories = yumyum

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 10:28:42 AM »

I do believe that the DS games are being shown at the Nintendo booth as Kevin Says, I remember seeing a list with those titles on it somewhere.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 01:15:59 PM »

No real suprises, so fans are doing exactly what they have been....waiting.

I mean, I could care less that they "announced" Dragon Quest 8.  I knew it was coming and I have watched tons of videos for it.  I am just sitting around waiting for it.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 06:40:37 PM »

I'm hoping we'll get a nice surprise and they'll announce DQ8 for this summer.  If Radiata Stories is coming out in the fall, KH2 presumably before Christmas, and FF12 next spring, there aren't many options for DQ8's release.  Hopefully, the unfortunate lack of voice acting in DQ8 means a quick localization.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 12:41:47 AM »

just spent some time on the japanese radiata stories site, & this game looks like it could be a real treat for someone like me just patiently waiting for ffxii...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 12:13:19 AM »

Square Enix is not the powerhouse RPG presence it once was IMHO.  This is a company that gave us extraordinary titles like Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, FF VII, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, and many others.

Now we get Musashi: Samurai Legend, a lackluster FF XI, Fullmetal Alchemist, Drakengard and Final Fantasy X-2.  

How the mighty have fallen.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 12:25:17 AM »

Quote from: "RamPanther"
Square Enix is not the powerhouse RPG presence it once was IMHO.  This is a company that gave us extraordinary titles like Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, FF VII, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, and many others.

Now we get Musashi: Samurai Legend, a lackluster FF XI, Fullmetal Alchemist, Drakengard and Final Fantasy X-2.  

How the mighty have fallen.

That's a pretty selective list.  Their 32 bit output was far greater than what you mentioned and included quite a few lackluster titles.  

I might be wrong on this but I'm not even sure Xenogears should count.  Wasn't Square pretty much strictly the publisher on that one?  I was under the impression that it wasn't internally developed.  

This generation has already had the stellar FFX and I thought Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was a worthy follow-up to the original.  Kingdom Hearts is pretty controversial among many but its an absolute powerhouse and has actually become their number two selling title of all time in America behind only FFVII.  I though Star Ocean 3 was incredible but I know that one is not universally loved.  

Plus you are effectively comparing an entire generations output to an incomplete generation that has still not released potential classics like:

FFXII
KH2
DQ8
Grandia 3
Radiata Stories

along with a bunch of others that have yet to make their way stateside.  And based on word of mouth from Japan of those DQ8 and Radiata Stories are pretty great and likely to be included as RPG classics by the end of this generation.  

There is no question that Square hasn't had the same impact they had last generation when FFVII drove RPGs right into the mainstream but that can only happen once.

Don't forget, there are still amost two years left in this generation for the PS2.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 12:34:03 AM »

Square had an "off" year or two while they recovered from the Spirits Within disaster and expanded (mostly unsuccessfully) into other genres.  Thankfully, that time is over.  The three big upcoming releases - FF12, Dragon Quest 8, and Kingdom Hearts 2 all look amazing, as do their lesser-known games like Radiata Stories and Grandia 3.  Their non-RPGs may be iffy at best, but I think in the next year or two we're going to see some awesome RPGs from them.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 04:15:56 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
This generation has already had the stellar FFX and I thought Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was a worthy follow-up to the original.  Kingdom Hearts is pretty controversial among many but its an absolute powerhouse and has actually become their number two selling title of all time in America behind only FFVII.  I though Star Ocean 3 was incredible but I know that one is not universally loved.

also not universally loved, but my personal favorite 2004 release: crystal chronicles (aka 'the best console version of gauntlet evah!')...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 12:13:14 AM »

Star Ocean 3 was incredible but I know that one is not universally loved.

I'm still trying to decide if I should get this game or not. The opinions on it are so divided its hard to know which camp to side with.  I've seen it once or twice on sale for $19.99, but I've hesitated every single time and the price reduction eventually ends. The only relatively unanimous point most people seem to hold is that the game takes several hours to heat up.  I'm just not sure if I'm still willing to gives games that long to grab me.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 06:46:31 AM »

I'm about 30 hours into Star Ocean, and I love everything about it.  It is slow to get started, but everything, including the graphics and voice acting improve a lot once the prologue section is done.  The most amazing thing is the attention to detail.  There are hundreds of topics in the on-line dictionary detailing the backstory of the game, and every building is packed with little details.  Assuming things hold up, I think it's going to end up topping FFX as my favorite RPG ever.

In other Square E3 news, they're putting on another concert around the time of E3, as with last year's Dear Friends concert.  This new concert will feature a performance of the opera music from FF6, and CDs of both shows will be available at the concert.  I really hope they plan to sell the CDs in stores, because I would love to have them.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 07:00:53 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
The most amazing thing is the attention to detail. There are hundreds of topics in the on-line dictionary detailing the backstory of the game, and every building is packed with little details.

That's exactly what I loved about it too.  Star Ocean 3 had some of the best towns I've encountered in a console RPG and the townspeople dialogue updated quite frequently with relation to current events.  I really got caught up in the struggle on that world.  I struggled with the game for the first five or six hours but after that I was hooked for the next 70 hours.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 07:33:59 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
In other Square E3 news, they're putting on another concert around the time of E3, as with last year's Dear Friends concert.  This new concert will feature a performance of the opera music from FF6, and CDs of both shows will be available at the concert.  I really hope they plan to sell the CDs in stores, because I would love to have them.

Oh.  My.  Word.  I love the opera scene in FFVI.  Possibly the most memorable/moving scene for me in an RPG to date (along with a scene in SH: Covenant).

That being said, I've bought several "different" FFVI musical CDs.  One is a cd that an Italian symphony does arrangements of FFVI songs.  It's kinda weird, because they do very different things with the traditional songs . . . but the reason why I bought it was because they had, for the first time ever, a real opera singer with symphony music re-enact the opera scene.  Pretty good, but not quite up to the expectations I had about it.

If you have any sort of info about the concert(s), do share!   biggrin

**Edit** Nevermind - went to the "Dear Friends" Nobuo Uematsu's webpage I book marked way back when I wanted to go to the first concert of theirs and looked up info.  The website is here  Pretty cool how The Black Mages are going to be there, seeing as how I really enjoy their first CD.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 07:47:29 AM »

RPGamer has details on the concert.  The first concert has finished its tour, and I would assume this new concert will go on tour as well.  I really hope they make it to Cleveland someday, as I would dearly love to see it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: