http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 07:35:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spyro & Crash  (Read 1339 times)
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2004, 06:00:59 PM »

So I was thinking of picking up Spyro: Orange and Crash: Purple for the GBA, but I was looking for some opinions.  I like the Spyro games on the GBA (I own Season of Ice and Season of Fire, not Rypto's Revenge) and thought about getting suckered - I mean, picking up - both of these, as they appear to be two parts of a larger story.  My only worry is that I don't have any friends that have a GBA.  Well, my friend's kids have them, but they are 8 and 6 years old.  So I will have to enjoy them alone.  I was worried I might not be able to finish the games by myself without linking them, which is something I can't do.

Anybody tried or thinking of trying out these latest marketing ploys - er, games?  I haven't tried Crash on the GBA, but I figured this would be a good place to start if I were going to continue with my little purple dragon buddy.

The first Spyro, way back on the PS1 was a real treat, both visually and ontrol wise.  It wasn't very hard, but I sure enjoyed it.

For that matter, anybody tried "Enter the Dragonfly" on the PS2?  That one is always $20 new...

Thanks for reading all that.  You're a real trooper!  I could use an editor.  And apparently a nap.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 10:08:38 PM »

The reviews I've seen of the two new GBA games haven't been entirely kind.  Apparently it's more a collection of mini-games than what we're used to, and it doesn't hold up well.  Check http://www.gamerankings.com for more.

As for the Spyro PS2 game (also, I was excited at the time to learn, on the Gamecube) got even worse reviews (in the 50% range).  A lot of the complaints were about the "been there/done that" gameplay (which never bothers me with platformers), but having played it on the Gamecube, I can tell you the framerate was horrible.  I imagine the PS2 version is worse.  And it wasn't very fun.  Hopefully the new one coming this fall will fare better.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 11:53:32 AM »

My son likes the Spyro games. I can't comment on these newer ones, but he enjoyed the last Gamecube game. He's also nine, so he is much easier to please. He sees something he likes, he plays and enjoys. He doesn't look up reviews or get opinions.

I wish I could be like that.....

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 02:35:59 PM »

I reviewed both of the latest Spyro games on the PS2 and Gamecube (I'm a huge fan of the series), and to say that the titles were utter crap is putting it nicely.

As for the latest GBA incarnations, I just never got used to the 3/4 overhead view of the platform games, and these sidescrolling cousins of the latest games just aren't my cup of tea.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: