http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 06:27:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sports games for the PSP  (Read 1840 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:49:22 AM »

I'm really considering picking up a new PSP.   What i was really interested in was sports games for the PSP.   I know Madden and NCAA exists, but what about NBA, MLB, and NHL games?   Anyone played any of these games on the PSP and can give me some ideas whether or not they are done well and worth buying?   

For Madden/NCAA for example, does the same issues carry over from the 360 version.....ie. turnovers?

Anyone have any thoughts on PSP sporting titles?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 12:02:47 PM »

MLB:The Show is a great baseball title for the PSP.

I didn't see any turnover issues in the PSP version of this year's Madden either. It's a different, looser, game than on 360 but not in the turnover department.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 12:03:26 PM »

I have MLB 07 (The Show) and think it's great as well. 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 01:29:37 PM »

I had NCAA 07 for a while (traded it in when I decided I was buying NCAA 08 360... eventually. I just cannot support two seperate dynasty teams on my schedule) and it was surprisingly good. It was almost identical to the PS2 offerings (at least 2006) and I was impressed for that accomplishment on a handheld. I haven't played the other titles that you have mentioned but I've seen decent reviews for Madden 07 on PSP.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 10:07:03 PM »

I just bought a PSP and Madden 08.  I have hardly had time to play it yet, but I am having a hard time getting used to the controls after playing so much Madden and NCAA on the 360.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »

If you're into tennis at all gaming wise (I'm worthless at the real thing, but enjoy it in videogames), Virtua Tennis 3 for PSP is a lot of fun. It has many modes (including a career mode), and lots of mini-games to develop various skills. The player graphics are a bit chunky at times, but it animates well.

Some folks have said the PSP Smash Court Tennis 3 game is a better proximation of the "real thing." I think I saw a playable official demo for it at the Sony PSP site. I can't seem to track that link down but PSP fanboy had a link to the playable demo too:
http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/06/08/smash-court-tennis-downloadable-demo/

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 02:14:50 PM »

playable official demo for it at the Sony PSP site. I can't seem to track that link down but PSP fanboy had a link to the playable demo too:

icon_eek DL a demo from my computer to my PSP? Holy crap, when did this start happening? Have I been living under a rock? are there more DL contents sites? if so where. I really need to get 4GB pro stick Duo now.. 

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 02:28:51 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on October 18, 2007, 02:14:50 PM

playable official demo for it at the Sony PSP site. I can't seem to track that link down but PSP fanboy had a link to the playable demo too:

icon_eek DL a demo from my computer to my PSP? Holy crap, when did this start happening? Have I been living under a rock? are there more DL contents sites? if so where. I really need to get 4GB pro stick Duo now.. 

Sony has some to download on their official site, but demos.pspfanboy.com has most everything that's available including other sports games like MLB The Show, NBA 07 and World Tour Soccer 2. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 02:36:48 PM »

Heh, yeah, I don't think Sony publicizes that enough. smile Generally you can just transfer these via USB connector (or WiFi if you have it set up).

Here's Sony's official PSP demo downloads page:
http://www.us.playstation.com/psp/downloads/GameDownloads
The sports demos you can get there include:
-MLB 07 The Show™
-NBA 07

The others include:
-Worms: Open Warfare 2
-SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 2 [think this is different from the UMD demo you could get at Best Buy free for a while]
-Full Auto™ 2: Battlelines
-Syphon Filter®: Dark Mirror Demo
-Killzone™: Liberation Demo
-LocoRoco Demo

I didn't see the Smash Court Tennis 3 demo there though. For a while they were releasing "PSP Content Packs", single files that included playable demos, game trailers optimized for PSP, wallpaper etc., but I think they stopped doing that while back. The more general download page is at:
http://www.us.playstation.com/psp/pspdownloads

If you try one, be sure to print or at least view the install directions; usually it'll tell you where to put the file (you can view the memory stick in file manager and create a folder if necessary). Enjoy. smile I haven't tried that Smash Court demo I should give it a whirl.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 02:43:06 PM »

While you're only asking about NBA, MLB, NHL, and football games, I do have to mention that the PSP sports game that has consumed uncounted hours of my time is Hot Shots Golf. While there are many PSP games that are very good, I'm nutty enough to believe that Hot Shots Golf is a good enough game to justify the purchase of a PSP all on its own. smile

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 03:06:51 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on October 18, 2007, 02:43:06 PM

While you're only asking about NBA, MLB, NHL, and football games, I do have to mention that the PSP sports game that has consumed uncounted hours of my time is Hot Shots Golf. While there are many PSP games that are very good, I'm nutty enough to believe that Hot Shots Golf is a good enough game to justify the purchase of a PSP all on its own. smile

Absolutely.  It's fantastic.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 03:37:33 PM »

Interesting.  Good to know.

I've played a little more Madden, and it's a surprisingly good deep title.  The turnover issues are not nearly as bad as on the 360 and I find that I really like the "other" modes like the minicamp.  I've heard great things about the superstar mode, but haven't tried it yet.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 10:20:40 PM »

Has anybody tried the NHL games on PSP yet? I guess I should try to rent one. I always loved hockey games on consoles (going back to NES and Sega Genesis), but I've not tried on a handheld. I'll see if there's any I can try on Gamefly and report back later in the week on it.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Knightsabre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 12:56:03 AM »

Since I got a PSP for Christmas, I'll bring this thread back up and seek advice regarding the two main tennis games - Virtua Tennis vs Smash Court Tennis 3.  I know they were mentioned earlier, but has anyone tried both?  Any preferences?  At the moment, I'm playing a lot of Hot Shots Golf, and I have Jeanne D'Arc waiting in the wings . . . and waiting . . . and waiting - because I can't seem to stop playing golf!!  In fact, I may go knock out a quick round right now . . .

Xbox gamertag - Knightsabre1
Bibbity boppity, gimmee the zoppity.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 02:45:39 AM »

I'm really tempted to go out and pick up Hot Shots 2 actually.  (Minna no Golf 2).  It is in my opinion, the best golf game out there bar none.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 09:42:35 PM »

wanted to revisit this list again as i got a PSP today.

i have Hot Shots Golf and MLB The Show for the PS3, so i'm not really interested in those.  Just curious about the other sports still.   Has anyone played more of any football, basketball, hockey, or even some of the soccer games.

Any more suggestions?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 10:46:59 PM »

Unfortunately there wasn't a hockey game for the PSP this year frown.  Just because you have Hotshots Golf in your living room doesn't mean that you shouldn't have it on the go as well! It's a fantastic fantastic game.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 10:47:50 PM »

Oh I have FIFA 07 for the PSP, maybe I could trade it to you for something?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 11:33:09 PM »

I'm curious about Madden 08 on PSP.  I've got a week long business trip coming up, and certainly wouldn't mind something to keep me busy.  I need to also pick up a copy of Hot Shots Golf, if I can ever find one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: