http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 09:40:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPORE Impressions  (Read 20746 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2008, 10:09:59 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 14, 2008, 09:44:14 PM

Hmm I can see how limited installations could really kill off the used game market.  I just looked at the one for sale on the GT forums and thought...only 2 installations left?  No thanks.  I wonder if you can call up EA and use the excuse of "I bought the game used" as a valid excuse to get more installs.

You can also only create an account once, so wouldn't you need to give the buyer your EA account info too?

That said - I thought I read somewhere that EA has given into some of the complaints and raised the install limit to five. I don't own the game, so I don't know this for sure or not.

EDIT: It's Red Alert 3 that'll be getting additional installs due to the MASSIVE number of player complaints.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:33:09 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2008, 10:33:17 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 14, 2008, 09:53:44 PM

Well that's a pain in the arse.  It's for a mission for me too, a homeworld mission that requires me to have three colonies in separate systems.  It took me ages just to find that one, and it's already too far from my empire to make me feel comfortable.  Dammit.

What do you mean? Just regular colonizing of worlds shouldn't be a problem. I have tons of colonies near my homeworld (and tons a LONG way off, sometimes even in a different arm of the galaxy. Don't be afraid of having colonies far away.) and I never encountered this bug unless I was sent to a specific planet that had been terraformed by the mission givers in preparation for the mission itself.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2008, 10:42:46 PM »

Well, I'll go in and have another look tomorrow evening.  It was one of those tutorial-ish missions you get from your homeworld - "I want to expand my empire."  They tell me to claim a colony in three different systems.  I did one, which gives me two counting my homeworld (and confirmed by the mission description) so I need one more.  So I flew around until I finally found a world with a green orbit in an uninhabited system.

I was really tired when I played, maybe I missed something.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 15, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »

Quote from: Tals on September 12, 2008, 07:53:55 PM

What I find amazing is spores crack was available almost on the day of release - exactly what is EA paying for with there securom, certainly would want my money back if I was EA

Almost on the day of release ? It was available 6 days before release.

There's so many other things they could do to get less piracy on their games, it cant be stopped and putting BS like this in it just makes more download it.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 15, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »

I think they have one way to salvage thing with the customer base. Just release a patch to remove the DRM now instead of maybe one year from now or never. Then also recall all unsold copies and replace them with non DRM version with a large sticker on the box with words like "NO DRM". That'll probably help them sell some more copies and it won't hurt them with the piracy because most of the pirates downloaded the game by now.

If they do that I think some of the 1-star amazon reviewers will post new review also amazon can remove all the drm based 1-star reviews because they don't apply to the new version.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 17, 2008, 02:43:21 PM »

Anyone know if there's any rhyme or reason to how much spice sells for on a given planet in the space stage?  Is it just random or is there some sort of game mechanic behind it?

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2008, 02:58:17 AM »

It's been a week since anyone has posted an impression!

How is this one holding up for people? Has this game got legs, or does it lose its charm quickly?

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2008, 03:08:53 AM »

Sadly, even for me, the biggest SPORE fanboi ever... it's lost it's charm. I havent played it at all since opening week. Probably going to leave it alone for a while.  icon_cry

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2008, 04:34:26 AM »

Can we officially call it the new Black and White then?  Jeez, I never saw that coming!  Roll Eyes
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2008, 04:54:13 AM »

I just got the game, but I'm really digging it. The space game, while repetitive, is proving to be quite fun. I think my favorite part is finding creatures, vehicles, and buildings built by friends. I'm sure/worried the fun will end soon, but for now, I'm happy.

I want to qualify my impressions by saying I love Sim City, Sim Ant, Sim Life, and Sim Earth, but HATED the Sims after about 3 days of playing.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2008, 04:57:48 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 25, 2008, 04:34:26 AM

Can we officially call it the new Black and White then?  Jeez, I never saw that coming!  Roll Eyes

Ok, I admit it. I was wrong. Shall I start an apology thread?  icon_wink

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2008, 06:27:48 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on September 25, 2008, 02:58:17 AM

It's been a week since anyone has posted an impression!

How is this one holding up for people? Has this game got legs, or does it lose its charm quickly?

I ran into a bug which prevented me from colonising worlds, and my girlfriend can't play online until they patch the screen-names thing in.  So basically we're waiting for the first patch before we dive back in, but dive in we will.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2008, 08:55:10 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on September 25, 2008, 02:58:17 AM

I think the ability to create/import creatures gives it a bit of longevity, but the civilization and space stages of the game just aren't that fun to me.  I imagine I'll play through the tribes portion a few more times, just to fool around with different creature designs.  I don't think I'll be up for much more turret-zapping, religious conversions or creature abducting, though.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 26, 2008, 12:43:39 AM »

I really haven't touched it since I picked up STALKER and Warhammer Online went live.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 26, 2008, 07:50:12 AM »

same here - my daughters and my GF wants to play it a bit, but...I doubt it will be for long - the game is...strange actually, in that once you've played it once, it really doesnt reward you for doing so again...

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 26, 2008, 11:18:08 AM »

I'll pick it up at some point just to have it but I'm in no hurry.  Though with EA it will be awhile before we see it in the bargain bin.

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »

so, I'm curious, does anyone even play this anymore?

A new one
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2008, 12:13:41 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 06, 2008, 07:11:18 AM

I do. Quite a bit. I still haven't made it to the center of the galaxy, though.

I only play the space portion at the moment. That and I create new characters and vehicles and so forth.

PSN ID: EduardoX
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2008, 02:52:13 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 06, 2008, 07:11:18 AM

My first game petered out at the Space portion, and right now my gaming time is divided between WAR and The Witcher EE.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 06, 2008, 03:30:45 PM »

I finally got my copy, and spent most of Saturday playing it.  Wasn't crazy about the Tribe stage, as I was mainly doing conquering, and doing that seemed like a much worse proposition than befriending everyone.  Befriending costs you 10 food, plus the initial investments into the instrument buildings, and then its free.  I didn't get healing rods until almost the end, so when I went to conquer a tribe, I lost a ton a guys, which then had to be re-built at 10 food each.  Maybe I needed to be smarter about it.

That said, I really like it.  The creature I'm using is bipedal, and sits with his feet on the ground behind him, and his entire body laying at about a 10 degree angle off the ground, with his mouth on his belly.  Makes no sense, defies gravity, and animates awkwardly, but I like him.  I just got into the civ stage, so we'll see how that goes.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: October 06, 2008, 06:16:46 PM »

played in bits and made it to the space stage last week with a wholly belligerent race of dog-mouthed dragons who fly around in their viper VII trying to scrape together an existence next to a hippy race of bears and a grade A asshole race of something my dog pooped out.  why are they pissed at me?  i guess i ignored their requests for a handout one too many times and they really needed the money to fund a nigerian church or something.  both races seem to have a never ending supply of planetary semen as their colonies dot every system within three jumps reach from my home system. 

i have a weed trade with the hippies as i thought it would bring in the dope money, but all it does is make it possible for me to get a "really good deal" to buy it from them for all of the money i have.  turns out, the hippies are really pyramid schemers with an amway franchise.  they make the 419'er race look like amateurs.  they don't pack much into their ships however.  the one ally ship i could take with me blows up as soon as the enemy radar tracks it.

i hadn't saved in a bit, and after an hour or so, the A-holes declared war on me and proceeded to take 2 of my 4 colonies as i hadn't been able to get from one colony to the next and kill 8 heavily armed and health regenerating enemies with my pee shooter and complimentary missile gift (next best weapon costs almost as much as the hippie's cheapest bid price)  while they swarmed my one city and gave it a heavy kick to the groin.  after i finally respawned after getting shivved myself, i found that they had set up shop in my old city and were using my people to fly the grapes into what passed for their mouth.  oh yeah, and my more established colony was also gone too.  hoo-freaking-ray for me.  i went back with a vengeance and kicked them off my planet and found i couldn't make the other city surrender, so i had to raze it.  i got 14k from that and needed to spend 97k to restart my own colony.  that 97k is from the hippy race, not my own, btw.  they can help me seed the universe cheaper than i can.  am i missing something, or is the game now favoring another race to win? 

after losing half of my systems with no way to repopulate them and an enemy race who then attacked both my two colonies at the same time, i quit spore. 

maybe this whole limited install deal aint so bad after all.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: