http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:42:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPORE Impressions  (Read 20713 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2008, 01:46:12 PM »

Argh, now I'm feeling buyer's remorse.  I'm only at the beginning of the Civ phase, but the overwhelming negativity I'm seeing about this game on niche sites like ours is just sucking all the joy out of the game for me.   icon_frown

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 09, 2008, 01:46:12 PM

Argh, now I'm feeling buyer's remorse.  I'm only at the beginning of the Civ phase, but the overwhelming negativity I'm seeing about this game on niche sites like ours is just sucking all the joy out of the game for me.   icon_frown

Seriously I wish I hadn't bought it last night and I haven't even tried it yet.  crybaby I have a feeling it will be supported well and will end up being a great game in the end.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »

If you pirate it :
You will get it aster
It's Free
Unlimited installs

If you buy it
Slower
Limited installs

Nice job EA, why do they keep infecting our computers with securom and threatening all legal buyers like criminals when it clearly doesnt work anyway ?

I already returned my copy, it was just a couple of boring mini games and the best part was the creature creator which i already got most of for free.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 03:22:09 PM by Maggot » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2008, 03:17:36 PM »

I'm working on my review.  The game has enough redeeming quality, and much of what is a pain in the ass can be patched.  It just seems that the AI turns from 'sure, run my tribe over' to 'WAAAAAAAA!!!!' the second you build more than two tanks in the Civ stage.  I think the AI just needs some work more than anything.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »

I'm gonna go ahead and pat myself on the back for not buying this one and waiting for feedback  icon_wink
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2008, 03:59:47 PM »

I said I was going to wait but my wife pushed me to buy it. I'm sure I'll still have fun with it but damn if my excitement isn't killed. I'm sure my daughter and wife will have fun making weird crap.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2008, 04:29:34 PM »

What's this about people feeling they've wasted money and killed excitement even before playing the game? You seem to be missing that many of us are playing and enjoying the game, warts and all. I've barely done anything else but play Spore since I got it on friday. I passed 100 creations today, and plan to add plenty more, and I've almost maxed out my first race in the space stage, while my second race (on Hard difficulty) is at the civilization stage. I've got plenty more ideas of things to do and races to try, not to mention a whole bunch of achievements I want to go after.

It's a simple game, but it's fun and addictive. It just does things differently from what we're used to, though some of these things will probably get adjusted in patchers.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 09, 2008, 04:29:34 PM

You seem to be missing that many of us are playing and enjoying the game, warts and all. I've barely done anything else but play Spore since I got it on friday.

Yep, same here (when my girlfriend isn't playing it, that is).  It definitely has problems, and the end result not being quite what we were expecting takes some getting used to, but at the end of the day it's a really fun game.  I have only just got into the space stage but I'm already looking forward to playing through it all again with a creature I will actually bother to design properly.  And hopefully a patch will address the concerns regarding the space stage.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 09, 2008, 06:04:56 AM

oh, and being attacked while in transit without being able to defend myself?  fucking priceless, let me tell you.

Once you have the auto cannon, your ship will be able to automatically defend itself while in transit.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2008, 06:03:32 PM »

What's this about people feeling they've wasted money and killed excitement even before playing the game? You seem to be missing that many of us are playing and enjoying the game, warts and all. I've barely done anything else but play Spore since I got it on friday. I passed 100 creations today, and plan to add plenty more, and I've almost maxed out my first race in the space stage, while my second race (on Hard difficulty) is at the civilization stage. I've got plenty more ideas of things to do and races to try, not to mention a whole bunch of achievements I want to go after.

It's a simple game, but it's fun and addictive. It just does things differently from what we're used to, though some of these things will probably get adjusted in patchers.

That makes me feel better. I have a bad habit of focusing on the negative comments.  icon_biggrin
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2008, 06:12:57 PM »

ditto.  it's easy to focus on the negative when it's so vocal.  hearing some positive views makes me feel a little less "ripped off".  I'll give it some more time.   icon_biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2008, 07:22:32 PM »

i've passed by the display for this game a few times already.  while i held back more in favor of later games, i still get tempted when i see the box. 

after reading about the hype let-down, i think i'll wait a bit.  i have enjoyed previous games which faced this same dilemma and have no doubt that i would enjoy what i played of spore, but not so much that i need to have it this week.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2008, 09:43:48 PM »

Well, so far so good.  I played the space phase for about an hour this evening and only had to defend my home planet twice.  Placing turrets all around my cities looked extremely expensive at first, but I've since found it's pretty easy to make sporebucks by trading spice between different civilisations.  I just made 600K in about five minutes without even really trying.  It makes me wonder if there's even any point to claiming spice geysers on other planets.

Colonising another world is fun too.  I love how every single species, from the largest creature to the smallest plant, can be transplanted between worlds.  I earned a few badges tonight which unlocked a load of new items to play with, and there's room for plenty more too.  I think the first upgrade I buy will be more energy storage because I'm having to recharge after pretty much every mission.

So far, then, the space phase has been as good as I'd hoped after last night's quick peek.  Yay!

Steam profile
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 09, 2008, 03:18:19 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and pat myself on the back for not buying this one and waiting for feedback  icon_wink

Hehe, same here, Jeff.  Seems to me like most of what I thought would happen is turning out to be true.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2008, 01:33:55 PM »

Count me on the side of enjoying it for what it is.  It seems to be a pretty simple game, and that's fine by me.  I'm enjoying the little bit of time I've put into it so far.

I started a new game today, after loading in a few friends from the Spore friends thread here at GT.  Some interesting and fun things in my first game since doing that:

To start things off, early on in my exploration onto dry land, I find a dead creature not far from my nest.  It appears to be a dead Orgull creation...  I wonder what killed it?

Soon after, here is my main creation "Rothy" meeting up with a neighbor.  This neighbor just happened to be ray's creation, "Gabacella".  We hit it off immediately and became friends.

Not long after that, we became pack mates (or whatever it's called) - and went to explore our world as a team.  Lo and behold, we ran into Geezer's creation, "Ajoke".  These guys weren't sure how to regard us, and were quite neutral to start out with.  But with Gabacella and Rothy working together to influence them, we soon became friends and allies as well.

After a bit more exploring, we ran into these big birdlike creatures that neither of us could communicate with adaquately.  Then, as we were ready to give up, Orgull's pack attacked the bird creatures!  "Run! Run!" cried Gabacella.  So I did.  But not after losing poor Ray's creature to Orgull's mean attack.  Luckily, Rothy got away!

And now... after a few upgrades, I am off to try and make a pack with Geezer's creation, "Ajoke" and then move my nest.  We'll see how it goes I guess.

So far, it's a fun diversion for me.  I'm digging it.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2008, 03:17:03 PM »

I went from interested in a detached way (ie. "What an interesting idea.") to researching this because I thought my wife might like it to buying it and playing it the last 2 days. (My wife is yet to try it.) I think it's really cool. I have played the first 3 stages and will start the Civ stage the next time I start it up.

I think it's really cool. Yes, the gameplay/challenge is simple/easy, but it's so slick, fun, and the control you have to edit the creature is both simple and remarkably deep. I can't say how long I'll play it, but I know I'll make lots of different creatures before I quit it.

I had a laugh out loud moment in the Tribe/RTS section last night when one of the rival tribes was an earlier version of my own creature. I had fun wiping them out!!! smile

I have had some graphical glitches that make me worry my video card might be dying, although last night I had no problems. I also had some temporary lockups a few times the first night with it. I was delighted how well it ran in the cell stage at 1680x1050 with everything on High. When I crawled out of the water it slowed down significantly and I had to dial lots of stuff down.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2008, 03:45:08 PM »

I've seen graphical glitches in the game on three different computers, so it's definitely a bug in the game. If you start to see weird textures or corruption on the screen, just alt-tab to windows and back again, and everything will be fine.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 10, 2008, 03:45:08 PM

I've seen graphical glitches in the game on three different computers, so it's definitely a bug in the game. If you start to see weird textures or corruption on the screen, just alt-tab to windows and back again, and everything will be fine.

My glitches persist to the windows desktop even after quitting the game. I have to restart to correct it. Generally, I would think the video card is overheating, but I've always been able to get right back into Spore and play without issue for a long time so (shrugs)....

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2008, 06:06:58 PM »

Lockdown! That's the first time I've seen a screenshot of someone else's game with one of my creatures in it. YAY!

I'm sad he was dead though.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2008, 06:22:37 PM »

After five days with Spore, I have to say that on the whole I'm really pleased with it.  No, it isn't the game we were expecting after the first videos and yes, each stage on its own is very simplistic.  But here's the thing: I view the first four phases as a means of enriching the creatures you create and getting to know them, prior to the real meat of the game which is the space phase.

To those who haven't played Spore yet, take it from me - when you've "evolved" your creature from a cell all the way to a space-faring species, you give a shit about the little guys.  I can't imagine having anywhere near that level of attachment to a creature I create specifically for the space phase.  That really helps to make the simplicity of the first four phases more palatable.  You're getting to know your creation.  While earlier I was lamenting that my favourite phases were all so short, now I realise that that's a good thing.  I mean, you can play each phase as often as you like anyway, and you're not even forced to quit them when you beat them.  Really, they're the right length because they're just for shaping your creature; it's the space phase that is the endgame and where you'll be hankering to spend most of your time.  Making the earlier phases much longer would, in the long run, probably have hurt the game.

Every night I'm dying to play Spore.  I think about new designs all the time, I read about it while I'm at work, and every night so far it's kept me playing way past the time I should've gone to bed.  As I said earlier, it's not without its problems.  It isn't my all-time favourite game.  But it's very, very good.  I can't speak for how long it might last, but for now I'm having a blast - especially now I'm seeing other GTers' creatures in my games!

Steam profile
Geezerone
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2008, 07:16:55 PM »

Quote from: Orgull on September 10, 2008, 06:06:58 PM

Lockdown! That's the first time I've seen a screenshot of someone else's game with one of my creatures in it. YAY!

I'm sad he was dead though.

Me too.  And I was glad to see it wasn't dead yet, as it always seemed that whenever I ran into one of my earlier Creature Creator creations it would always start as hostile.  tear
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 10, 2008, 06:22:37 PM

After five days with Spore, I have to say that on the whole I'm really pleased with it.  No, it isn't the game we were expecting after the first videos and yes, each stage on its own is very simplistic.  But here's the thing: I view the first four phases as a means of enriching the creatures you create and getting to know them, prior to the real meat of the game which is the space phase.

To those who haven't played Spore yet, take it from me - when you've "evolved" your creature from a cell all the way to a space-faring species, you give a shit about the little guys.  I can't imagine having anywhere near that level of attachment to a creature I create specifically for the space phase.  That really helps to make the simplicity of the first four phases more palatable.  You're getting to know your creation.  While earlier I was lamenting that my favourite phases were all so short, now I realise that that's a good thing.  I mean, you can play each phase as often as you like anyway, and you're not even forced to quit them when you beat them.  Really, they're the right length because they're just for shaping your creature; it's the space phase that is the endgame and where you'll be hankering to spend most of your time.  Making the earlier phases much longer would, in the long run, probably have hurt the game.

Every night I'm dying to play Spore.  I think about new designs all the time, I read about it while I'm at work, and every night so far it's kept me playing way past the time I should've gone to bed.  As I said earlier, it's not without its problems.  It isn't my all-time favourite game.  But it's very, very good.  I can't speak for how long it might last, but for now I'm having a blast - especially now I'm seeing other GTers' creatures in my games!

I think you've hit it on the head on why Spore works for those of us who like it.  I'm still in Civ stage so I can't comment on whether space stage makes it work, but up to this point you are right on about why I keep playing.   Since I'm still learning, I played the Civ stage to a point where I was in a pretty deep hole last night, then quit in disgust (my save is as the beginning of the stage so I will be trying again).  I thought about creating a new creature on a different planet and even played around with some of the design stuff to create a spaceship and another creature stage creature.  But when I was done, I found myself thinking about how I owed it to my guys to get them into space.  So back to them I will go.

And I don't think you can mention spore without talking about how it uses other people's creations.  That adds something to the mix, knowing you aren't going up against some designers creations, but another player's creations.  The game is in that regard near limitless in replayability, since as of last night there were something like 11m+ creations on line for the game to draw on.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2008, 07:47:45 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on September 09, 2008, 06:03:32 PM

That makes me feel better. I have a bad habit of focusing on the negative comments.  icon_biggrin

I like it.. I like it a lot in fact. Sure it could use some work but the whole sharing creature thing should keep me entertained for a decent amount of time. Didn't get to the space stage yet.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2008, 08:06:29 PM »

I've run into so many creatures on my friend's list now, I stopped keeping track!    In my current game, (in which Geezer's creature and I are still a pack) - I've run into at least 3 more of Geezer's creatures (one an Elite that flies around the world chomping me to pieces!), about 3 of Bael's creatures: all of which are pissed off at the world except for the Tricerian (pictured below), which refuses to friend me, and one of Reemul's who is just a nasty, nasty s.o.b.

The little hint at the begininning of the game also tells me there is one of CeeKay's creatures lurking around the world somewhere.  Scary thought, no?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2008, 09:23:52 PM »

So I just hit tribal stage in this new game, and everyone I'm running into now is a friend's creation.  Some of Bael's D&D stuff is really, really cool.  I have a pet Owlbear!

LD

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2008, 11:50:22 PM »

I really like the game a lot, in no small part because of the awesome and creative creatures that populate the world.  It's a blast to see friends' creatures appear, especially in Epic size!  Yikes!

xbox live: nude rick james
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2008, 04:46:40 AM »

Anyone have any tips on planet defense other than making turrets?  I got to a point where I literally couldn't leave my home system without getting a "homeplanet being attacked!" message. 

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I just goofed around too long & the enemy AI grew too powefull while I was screwing around.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2008, 07:13:30 AM »

okay, the DRM and internet 3 x times and your out activation system passed beneath my radar - If I'd known this, I'd never have bought the game...can they really get away with this? I mean, SIms, which I compare this game to, is a game I've reinstalled perhaps 15 times so far...

reminds me too much of the Xcom email game they published some years ago, which depended on EA servers to work - and yeah, after a  year or so, that service was disconnected..GO EA... motherf*****s

A new one
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2008, 07:36:07 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 11, 2008, 07:13:30 AM

okay, the DRM and internet 3 x times and your out activation system passed beneath my radar - If I'd known this, I'd never have bought the game...can they really get away with this? I mean, SIms, which I compare this game to, is a game I've reinstalled perhaps 15 times so far...

reminds me too much of the Xcom email game they published some years ago, which depended on EA servers to work - and yeah, after a  year or so, that service was disconnected..GO EA... motherf*****s

I just don't understand why they think they need DRM copy protection for a game which strong point is the online feature where we get to share creations with each other? While you can play offline, Spore is not that fun without the sharing part.

For game like this cd key should be enough. I think if they released this with zero copy protection other than the cd key that is needed to play online, it'll probably sell much more copies. While it is still No. 1 at Amazon.com, I'm sure the over 1500 negative one star review caused some potential loss sales.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2008, 05:06:41 PM »

My question about all the negative reviews at Amazon is if the reviews came from legitimate gamers who purchase all their games or the thieves who download them?

I haven't read much into this yet because frankly it hasn't affected me, but when 700,000 assholes have downloaded games like Assassin's Creed for free, doesn't that call for desperate measures?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:10:55 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2008, 05:34:53 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 11, 2008, 05:06:41 PM

My question about all the negative reviews at Amazon is if the reviews came from legitimate gamers who purchase all their games or the thieves who download them?

I haven't read much into this yet because frankly it hasn't affected me, but when 700,000 assholes have downloaded games like Assassin's Creed for free, doesn't that call for desperate measures?

well, I bought the game, if thats what your asking, and I'm pretty negative... oh, and checked the box, and nowhere does it state "3 installs only"...pretty interesting, actually...

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »

Yes it does, and PC game developers have started to become pretty good at it. Spore would have been a perfect example of a game made for this kind of stuff if they hadn't added the DRM. If pirates can't access the online component, which in Spore is pretty damn important, then they will be much more inclined to get the full version so they'll get access to it. A crack won't let them get access to the online servers.

The problem is that EA didn't think like that. They added a completely useless DRM scheme that does nothing but hinder their customers. The pirates are never stopped by these schemes, as witnessed by Spore appearing on all kinds of file-sharing services days before the game's release. Apart from the crackers, the regular pirates aren't even inconvenienced by the DRM system, as they never end up seeing it in the first place.

For a completely single-player game like Mass Effect, I can see why they'd want to add DRM, ineffectual though it may be. For a game like Spore, where online connectivity is a major selling point, DRM is pointless and only serves to alienate their customers.

As a game developer myself, I can't even start to imagine what goes on in the heads of the EA executives who think this kind of DRM is a good idea. Seriously, I don't know what kind of arguments they might present. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during one of their meetings.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2008, 09:26:35 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 11, 2008, 06:15:59 PM

As a game developer myself, I can't even start to imagine what goes on in the heads of the EA executives who think this kind of DRM is a good idea. Seriously, I don't know what kind of arguments they might present. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during one of their meetings.

Well hey, you can rest assured knowing you are a fly on the wall when they are considering your opinion slywink

I dunno, I see this as an issue for people who re-install games a million times over or lack internet but for the majority of us I don't see what the big deal is. It's like when everyone was complaining about Half-Life 2 requiring an internet connection to play. I suppose I simply don't care about a minority issue, and neither does EA apparently.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:28:08 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2008, 10:12:28 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 11, 2008, 09:26:35 PM

Quote from: TiLT on September 11, 2008, 06:15:59 PM

Well hey, you can rest assured knowing you are a fly on the wall when they are considering your opinion slywink

I dunno, I see this as an issue for people who re-install games a million times over or lack internet but for the majority of us I don't see what the big deal is. It's like when everyone was complaining about Half-Life 2 requiring an internet connection to play. I suppose I simply don't care about a minority issue, and neither does EA apparently.

There are times, Ridah, when you come off as an incredibly trollish person, but I'm sure thats not intentional... First off, its 3 times, not a million times re-installing, does that sound right to you?  Secondly, appearently, there are a lot of people who complains about this, and the fact that it is NOT stated so on the box, makes it even more suspect..

Anyways - EBgames here in denmark has agreed to take my copy back, since it clearly wasnt stated on the box, that you could only reinstall the game three times...so, perhaps Ebgames arent so sure about the rights to do things like this, as EA are.

A new one
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2008, 10:49:09 PM »

I guess I'm another person in the "not sure why people are so upset about the DRM" camp.  It's not like we haven't seen this coming.  And it's not "only three installs," it's "only three installs before you have to call EA."  Which is how Microsoft handles Windows.  Plus, I'll bet you money that in six months EA releases a patch that eliminates the need to call.

What people fail to understand is that these measures are designed to limit short-term piracy or sharing of games.  Once the intial period is over, they relax the standards.

People have every right to choose not to buy the game.  They have every right to complain about the DRM.  But I don't think they have any right to have a attitude towards those who don't care about the DRM.  And they would also be more effective in impacting EA if they sent EA an email complaint rather than try and crash Amazon with negative posts.  But, of course, we live in a world where everyone wants to escalate to the highest level right away rather than pursue reasonable avenues first.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Victoria Raverna

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2008, 02:59:30 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 11, 2008, 10:49:09 PM

And they would also be more effective in impacting EA if they sent EA an email complaint rather than try and crash Amazon with negative posts.  But, of course, we live in a world where everyone wants to escalate to the highest level right away rather than pursue reasonable avenues first.

E-mailing or contacting EA is not effective. This is not the first time they use this form of DRM, they did with Mass Effect and people complain to EA about it but they still use the same DRM with Spore. I think Amazon negative posts is one effective way to hurt EA for using the DRM. While Spore still a best seller, the negative reviews mean that there are potential loss sales. I think if we keep hitting EA with the negative review that'll have more chance of getting EA to drop the DRM in future product than e-mail them.

I'll post negative review for Red Alert and any future DRM infested EA games. After Spore, I won't buy any EA products that including The Sims 3 and all the expansion if they continue to use the DRM with installation limit (and I bought The Sims and The Sims 2 plus every single expansion they released).

BTW, try to call their support line to see how easy is it to get to talk with them. Or better just use up all the install limit now and try to ask for additional one. Report back here how easy it is to get them to do so.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:02:13 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2008, 03:03:29 AM »

I'm going to dog them for their DRM, so one more semi-negative review on the pyre. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 12, 2008, 03:20:13 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 12, 2008, 03:03:29 AM

I'm going to dog them for their DRM, so one more semi-negative review on the pyre. smile

I would rather read a professional review that rates a game on the game play, not the copy protection. It should be a huge note, but I don't think it should effect the score. I don't read game reviews to tell me what they think of the copy protection.

Do a separate article on the CP and then link in game reviews that use that protection would be my suggestion.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2008, 03:42:13 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on September 12, 2008, 02:59:30 AM

[ I think Amazon negative posts is one effective way to hurt EA for using the DRM. While Spore still a best seller, the negative reviews mean that there are potential loss sales. I think if we keep hitting EA with the negative review that'll have more chance of getting EA to drop the DRM in future product than e-mail them.

Damn....it's up to 2200 reviews on Amazon with an average of 1 star.
Victoria Raverna

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2008, 03:49:08 AM »

Just found out that the DRM also require reauthentication every time you upgrade your PC. So it is not really 3 install limit, but also 3 hardware upgrade limit.

Example of experience with the same type of DRM with Mass Effect:

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=635214&forum=104&highlight=activation%20Riftguy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: